• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

.52 Gal Analysis and Thoughts Thread

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
.52 Gal

wst_shot_gravity00.png

Lv Unlocked:
Lv. 5

Cost:

Shop Description:
"A high-powered weapon that pumps out a lot of ink with each shot. Doesn't take many shots to splat an opponent, which is a good thing given its rather slow rate of fire."

Type:
Shooter

Stats:
Range: Mid
Damage: High - mid
Fire Rate: Low - mid

Sub:
wsb_shield.png
Splash Wall

Special:
wsp_biglaser.png
Killer Wail

Genreal Strategies:
-WIP-

Team Strategies:
-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:
-WIP-

Extras:
Filename:
wst_shot_gravity00

Update: We are now accepting general strategies about this weapon. Please note I'll only add the strategy if I see video evidence or it is generally agreed upon in the thread.

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the .52 Gal.

Last edited:

PikaThePikachu

Inkling
NNID
Comite
The .52 Gal, eh? Personally, the Gal series are my favorite shooter type weapons so far due to their high damage output and reliable turf coverage, not to mention really viable loadouts (The .52 Gal Deco has the seeker AND inkstrike. Pretty suave if you ask me). However, take this post with a grain of salt, as this is just merely my first impression of the weapon and what I think it will shape up to be.

I believe the normal .52 Gal is going to be a majorly used weapon due to it's impressive properties and loadout. The Gal is great alone, but when coupled with the Splash Wall, it gives a serious advantage in a defensive hold for a position on the map, or an exit strategy, or just plain offensive pressure. Thanks to the weapons firepower as well, it won't take long to down another Inkling once your Splash Wall is setup. 2-3 shots is essentially all you need to splatter another Inkling. Due to the dangerous amount of damage you can deal, it'll also be really handy to keep enemies locked down for a flank by your team, or for you to flank when necessary.

Coupled with the Killer Wail as well, this loadout is an aggressive BEAST. If you don't flat out kill an opponent with the Killer Wail and they avoid it, it still forces an enemy into a position where they have to give up ground and, in a best case scenario for you, become trapped for clean up by you and your team.

The .52 Gal is a decent weapon all around, with it's only drawback really being a slow rate of fire, and even that isn't much to stop it's monstrous rampage for turf and kills. If I had to sum this beautiful piece of tech up with a few words, it would be something like "A weapon with a long and inktastic future."

Life

Senior Squid
I main .52 gal; I'm bad at basically every other weapon besides this and Junior, but it just fits so perfectly. Basically every loss I've had on .52 either involved an AFK on my side or me doing something dumb and giving the enemy an early advantage--and the latter situation I'm gradually learning how to turn around. Both the regular and the Deco version are very solid loadouts. Here are my thoughts:

General .52 Gal Play:

So this is where I've spent the majority of my time in Turf Wars. I have to say, if I were forced at Rollerpoint to make a Shooter tier list offhand right now, I'd probably stick this and Junior at the top (Junior is better at turf coverage, .52 is stronger in combat). Of course, making tier lists this early in the game is an exercise in futility--I've been mauled by my fair share of Aerosprays and SS Pros.

What I'm trying to say is that .52 Gal is really good. Anyway.

The opening for regular .52 Gal is this: get to mid as fast as your tech skill allows for. Actually, strike that--get to a spot that *has an advantage over mid* as fast as possible. The best example I can think of is the corridor on Arowana Mall, from which you can just barely reach a common sniper nest (be careful, I've been ganked there by observant charger players who presumably see my ink trail ahead of me) as well as put your wall in a decent spot. More on that in a moment. Substitute "mid" for any commonly contested areas on other maps--I've just got back from a ton of Mall games where this opener frequently got our team an advantage we could usually snowball into victory.

(One variation for larger maps is to forgo mid for a bit and go for an area that isn't usually hotly contested, such as zigzag on Saltspray Rig, and then take advantage of the fact that you now have a bunch of pathways to gank the enemy team from behind. You do enough DPS to get at least one kill by the time they actually react to your presence.)

Midgame, you'll want to look for areas with enemy paint and paint them. Obvious, right? Not only does this rack up a bunch of points, but with enemy ink comes enemy players. Generally you'll kill someone with 3 shots, maybe 2 if they don't have any defense upgrades or if you're packing offense upgrades (I think most players run defense, incidentally). When you're doing this, try to alternate between watching ahead of you for approaching players and watching the minimap to see if someone's painting behind you. It's harder than it sounds, but experience helps. (While I'm here, I'd like to recommend wearing headphones while you play, as that'll help you hear enemy gunfire faster so you can react quicker.)

Lategame, you're doing the same thing as you are midgame. By this point, the game has probably devolved into total chaos. Watch the minimap and try to hit opponents who lay a lot of ink. You're probably not the fastest ink-layer on your team--in fact, if your teammates are reasonably competent, you'll rarely have the highest score on your team. (And that's okay, provided you're still covering a reasonable area while also preventing the opponents from getting a foothold through kills and zoning.) Surprisingly, decisions get easier when there's little time left: if I attack this person and die, I will be gone from a significant chunk of the rest of the game; because my team is ahead, I can afford to camp this spot and get a kill that will prevent the Bad Guys from being able to come back; my team is behind, so I need to get kills quickly and safely so they have time to mount a comeback.

Deco Or No Deco?

The regular .52 loadout comes with Ink Wall and Killer Wail; the Deco comes with Seeker and Inkstrike.

With the regular loadout, you'll want to use Ink Wall in two ways: to cut off enemies from chokepoints (mid in Saltspray Rig is a great one; corridors on various maps are also good) and to protect yourself (drop one behind you to block potential ambushes from behind; throw one down in a 1v1 to stall while you reach a better position). Killer Wail is a powerful zoning tool as well: use it to force entrenched enemies out of their nests or to clear out a path to push into enemy territory.

The Deco loadout plays a surprisingly similar style; rather than block out enemies with stationary threats, you'll force them to get out of the way of your mobile, albeit ground-bound Seeker. Inkstrike is a bit more useful than Killer Wail IMO, since you can use it to assist from anywhere and it covers some ink (I saw on my minimap a teammate camping from a vulnerable spot on Arowana, so on a hunch I threw that Inkstrike in the ambush path; sure enough, I got a splat from it). Throwing out random Inkstrikes at enemy ink isn't horrible, since it does force the opponents to clean up the mess, but thoughtful use of it can be more impactful. Experiment some; I'm still pretty bad at Inkstriking, myself (and I'm personally more comfortable on the other loadout anyway).

Ultimately, both loadouts are good; this game is pretty well-balanced. Try both and see what works for you.

I haven't leveled high enough to check out the .96 gal yet, so I don't know if it's worth discussion in this thread or if it should get another.

It's 3AM; maybe I'll update later with map strats and perks and whatnot. (Protip: Stealth Super Jump is the best perk in the game.)

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I main .52 gal; I'm bad at basically every other weapon besides this and Junior, but it just fits so perfectly. Basically every loss I've had on .52 either involved an AFK on my side or me doing something dumb and giving the enemy an early advantage--and the latter situation I'm gradually learning how to turn around. Both the regular and the Deco version are very solid loadouts. Here are my thoughts:

General .52 Gal Play:

So this is where I've spent the majority of my time in Turf Wars. I have to say, if I were forced at Rollerpoint to make a Shooter tier list offhand right now, I'd probably stick this and Junior at the top (Junior is better at turf coverage, .52 is stronger in combat). Of course, making tier lists this early in the game is an exercise in futility--I've been mauled by my fair share of Aerosprays and SS Pros.

The opening for regular .52 Gal is this: get to mid as fast as your tech skill allows for. Actually, strike that--get to a spot that *has an advantage over mid* as fast as possible. The best example I can think of is the corridor on Arowana Mall, from which you can just barely reach a common sniper nest (be careful, I've been ganked there by observant charger players who presumably see my ink trail ahead of me) as well as put your wall in a decent spot. More on that in a moment. Substitute "mid" for any commonly contested areas on other maps--I've just got back from a ton of Mall games where this opener frequently got our team an advantage we could usually snowball into victory.

(One variation for larger maps is to forgo mid for a bit and go for an area that isn't usually hotly contested, such as zigzag on Saltspray Rig, and then take advantage of the fact that you now have a bunch of pathways to gank the enemy team from behind. You do enough DPS to get at least one kill by the time they actually react to your presence.)

Midgame, you'll want to look for areas with enemy paint and paint them. Obvious, right? Not only does this rack up a bunch of points, but with enemy ink comes enemy players. Generally you'll kill someone with 3 shots, maybe 2 if they don't have any defense upgrades or if you're packing offense upgrades (I think most players run defense, incidentally). When you're doing this, try to alternate between watching ahead of you for approaching players and watching the minimap to see if someone's painting behind you. It's harder than it sounds, but experience helps. (While I'm here, I'd like to recommend wearing headphones while you play, as that'll help you hear enemy gunfire faster so you can react quicker.)

Lategame, you're doing the same thing as you are midgame. By this point, the game has probably devolved into total chaos. Watch the minimap and try to hit opponents who lay a lot of ink. You're probably not the fastest ink-layer on your team--in fact, if your teammates are reasonably competent, you'll rarely have the highest score on your team. (And that's okay, provided you're still covering a reasonable area while also preventing the opponents from getting a foothold through kills and zoning.) Surprisingly, decisions get easier when there's little time left: if I attack this person and die, I will be gone from a significant chunk of the rest of the game; because my team is ahead, I can afford to camp this spot and get a kill that will prevent the Bad Guys from being able to come back; my team is behind, so I need to get kills quickly and safely so they have time to mount a comeback.

Deco Or No Deco?

The regular .52 loadout comes with Ink Wall and Killer Wail; the Deco comes with Seeker and Inkstrike.

With the regular loadout, you'll want to use Ink Wall in two ways: to cut off enemies from chokepoints (mid in Saltspray Rig is a great one; corridors on various maps are also good) and to protect yourself (drop one behind you to block potential ambushes from behind; throw one down in a 1v1 to stall while you reach a better position). Killer Wail is a powerful zoning tool as well: use it to force entrenched enemies out of their nests or to clear out a path to push into enemy territory.

The Deco loadout plays a surprisingly similar style; rather than block out enemies with stationary threats, you'll force them to get out of the way of your mobile, albeit ground-bound Seeker. Inkstrike is a bit more useful than Killer Wail IMO, since you can use it to assist from anywhere and it covers some ink (I saw on my minimap a teammate camping from a vulnerable spot on Arowana, so on a hunch I threw that Inkstrike in the ambush path; sure enough, I got a splat from it). Throwing out random Inkstrikes at enemy ink isn't horrible, since it does force the opponents to clean up the mess, but thoughtful use of it can be more impactful. Experiment some; I'm still pretty bad at Inkstriking, myself (and I'm personally more comfortable on the other loadout anyway).

Ultimately, both loadouts are good; this game is pretty well-balanced. Try both and see what works for you.

I haven't leveled high enough to check out the .96 gal yet, so I don't know if it's worth discussion in this thread or if it should get another.

It's 3AM; maybe I'll update later with map strats and perks and whatnot. (Protip: Stealth Super Jump is the best perk in the game.)

Y'all are correct about this being more of a support weapon than a points weapon. I use the regular .52 Gal quite a bit, and my best (still very modest) results come from being more aggressive with enemy players who threaten the justifiably cowardly Aerospray users.

NineWholeGrains

Inkster Jr.
NNID
xcrunner39

General .52 Gal Play:

Deco Or No Deco?

Excellent analysis of the macro-game with the .52 Gal. I also "main" the weapon and would place it near the top if I were forced to make a tier list. One thing I'd like to briefly expand on is just how good this weapon is in the micro-game, and just how much of an advantage it has in interactions with the opponent.

The first thing I'd like to note is the damage this weapon pumps out. As has been stated, 3 good hits should take out pretty much everything. To sweeten the deal, it has a fairly straight ink spread, sacrificing coverage but gaining accuracy to accent its solid range. Consequently, I'd argue the .52 is the best weapon in the game at mid-range. Thankfully, it has the Splash Wall to help maintain this "sweet spot" in combat. The Splash Wall can stop pretty much anything that's charging at you, allowing you the needed time to position yourself and blast away. At best, you're able to pick off the opponents yourself, and at worst you momentarily immobilize them. Killer Wail's usefulness can be debated, but at the very least you know you can zone and section off entire sections of the map.

Bottom line: This weapon rocks. As of the meta's fledgling status (if we can even call it "meta"), I'd say it's the top counter to the heavily-played Aerosprays. <3 .52 Gal!

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
.52 Gal is really good on Port Mackerel. The tight corridors and grid layout make the Splash Wall a great way to control where the opponents go, not to mention that the Killer Wail can skoosh a whole team if they are going down the same two corridors.

Now, it's possible to stand on top of the crates and ambush a . 52 Gal with a faster weapon, but it's hard to get up there on the crates and it's hard to spread ink up there.

Life

Senior Squid
.52 is absurd in ranked right now, especially since nobody is watching for early ambushes. If you show up behind someone, it's a free kill before they can react, and high DPS makes it ideal for ganking opponents who are swimming their way back into combat. I head down into zigzag on Saltspray Rig and then paint and swim up the pipes on their side, and there's usually someone standing there I can kill off for free followed by getting up into their charger nest since everyone's tunnel visioned on mid...

NineWholeGrains

Inkster Jr.
NNID
xcrunner39
Good to know that Ranked is only helping the .52. I was initially worried that the close quarters combat would hurt it, but it sounds like it's doing just fine. Interestingly enough, I think Splash Wall and (especially) Killer Wail get better in ranked, so the loadout receives a buff in theory. I'll grind some games today and see if performance matches what's on paper.

Life

Senior Squid
I will say that I made it to C+ with only... maybe 4-5 losses total? I haven't been keeping track, but it feels like about that many. One or two might not have been on .52 also.

NineWholeGrains

Inkster Jr.
NNID
xcrunner39
Alright, I put in 10 ranked games yesterday with the .52 Gal and went 9-1 with it. The weapon's not perfect, but there were periods where it could dominate. I should note that the maps were Arowana Mall and Saltspray Rig.

On Rig, the weapon was perfect for shutting down the front entrance to the zone thanks to the Splash Wall. Anybody that got too close got shot by the .52's superior range, and by the time they'd taken it down I usually had enough ink to toss up another. Killer Wail didn't have any gamebreaking moments, but it remained a reliable zoning tool that was useful in picking off enemy snipers.

Mall was a bit trickier. Of the 3 spots players tend to find themselves on this map (the middle, the raised wall, and the sniper perch), none really stuck out as a particularly strong position. The fire rate was a bit too low to keep up with the close quarters combat, although careful movement could make that work. The sniper post was a bit too far away to get any meaningful hits on the center, so your only option from there was to rain ink on the center and take out enemies on the raised wall. Speaking of which, the wall ended up being my best spot. It put me in good enough range to hit half the zone with killing shots, and the Splash Wall made for perfect defense if someone tried to flank me.

All in all, a pretty good weapon so far. Further testing is needed, but it's currently a weapon I feel comfortable taking into ranked.

Kallo

Inkling
NNID
KalloJin
I've been having really good luck with the .52 gal with the seeker and inkstrike in ranked at start I toss down a seeker and just swim behind it to get to point quicker and with inkstrikes I can pressure sections of the map while my team holds other areas and if I see one of them get splatted I can just drop an inkstrike around where they were to hold it till they jump back into the fight. overall I've been very happy with the .52 gal and got to B from C after going 19-2

Short272

Inkling
NNID
27Short
This gun and its variant are broken if your aim is decent- which it should be. First shot hits instantly when you pull the trigger, second shot kills. Because of this, it has a faster time to kill than any other weapon, unless the opponent has a shield. But that's no problem, just one more shot. Same range of the Splattershot, better variants, decent ink usage, completely outclasses most weapons.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
So I've been using this weapon primarily since I unlocked it, so here's my thoughts:
The .52 Gal is a great weapon, in that it's pretty food at everything. It has pretty nice range, decently-focused spread, an alright fire rate (a bit slow, but that's only a problem when someone else gets close), very high power and great subs and specials.
I like the .52 Gal's loadout; Splash Wall is good for denying access to an entrance or just protecting yourself (and if you're stupid like me and try to jump on it, it splats you really quickly), and Killer Wail, while it does nothing to spread ink, is great for forcing people to vacate a long area (or for splatting them if they don't, which does spread your ink a little).
The .52 Gal Deco's loadout is great too, albeit for different reasons; Seekers are great for creating inklines (like an Inkbrush that splats people on contact and explodes after a while) and go after enemies (to a very limited degree, but still), splat people in one hit and generally don't have much risk attached to them (throwing them out usually won't leave you in a bad position), and while the Inkstrike only hits a limited area, it simultaneously forces people out of an area and claims that turf for your side (great in Splat Zones, and not bad in Turf War either).
Overall, both .52 Gals are great weapons, maybe among the best. I prefer the Deco myself, just because I like the added mobility that I can get by following behind Seekers and having Inkstrike is a very direct method of contesting (or regaining) a Splat Zone, but the original is also good (bit too defensive for me, but that's just personal preference).
Ultimately, if you like shooters, you probably won't go wrong with a Gal.
(Quick question: would this be the place to analyze the .96 Gal, or is that a different thread?)

mewtheed

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mewtheed
while I try to keep my weapon selection varied, the .52 gal became kind of my "go to" weapon for splat zones. it has decent range and packs one hell of a punch. plus the splash wall makes a great defensive support tool for both you and your team, same for the killer wail that can distract and block the enemy team while you take them out. haven't really used the deco version that much, I'm way too addicted to that splash wall and I'm not efficient enough with seekers.

Life

Senior Squid
@ILikeKirbys there's actually a separate thread for the .52, the .96, and the .52 Deco for some reason. I think that's a bit too much differentiation, but I'm not the one making them, soooooooo

Short272

Inkling
NNID
27Short
Ultimately, if you like shooters, you probably won't go wrong with a Gal.
(Quick question: would this be the place to analyze the .96 Gal, or is that a different thread?)
And this is why this gun will most likely get some kind of tweak in the near future (not necessarily a nerf). It is nothing but a Splattershot on steroids, it needs more specialization and a clear weakness imo. Give it a little startup on the first shot. Not a lot, just like half as much as the Blaster has.

Edit**- Right after I typed this, I booted up Splatoon, equipped the .52 Gal, random clothes on, went 11-1 in turf war on Port Mackerel. Guess what my only death was? A trade with another .52 Gal. I don't even really use this gun, I only have 12,000p of turf inked with it. (Compared to 49,000 with the N-Zap and 54,000 with the Aerospray MG).

Last edited:

shane3x

Full Squid
And this is why this gun will most likely get some kind of tweak in the near future (not necessarily a nerf). It is nothing but a Splattershot on steroids, it needs more specialization and a clear weakness imo. Give it a little startup on the first shot. Not a lot, just like half as much as the Blaster has.

Edit**- Right after I typed this, I booted up Splatoon, equipped the .52 Gal, random clothes on, went 11-1 in turf war on Port Mackerel. Guess what my only death was? A trade with another .52 Gal. I don't even really use this gun, I only have 12,000p of turf inked with it. (Compared to 49,000 with the N-Zap and 54,000 with the Aerospray MG).
I went on a monster rampage last night in ranked. Every game was 20/30 to 0/5. So many different applications it can be used for. Of course def has a few issues against certain weapons and scenarios. Will post some stuff when I get some time.

DaisyFan

Pro Squid
been using the .52 since ranked. you can give a lot of pressure with the Splat Wall on some maps like mall or Warehouse when it come to middle.

Anomilus

Inkling
NNID
Hyperdon
Used the .52 Gal during the early days of Ranked. Equipped Swim Speed Ups, rushed over to the nearest, most used choke point, and blocked off the enemy before they could get to the center and held them down while the rest of the team got nice and cozy. One of my favorite opening gambits.

Zovnig

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zovnig
Switch Friend Code
SW-7684-8628-6291
So happy to see i'm not alone regarding the .52 Gal Deco. This is by far my favorite weapon so far in Splatoon. At least for Turf War and Splatzones. I feel it's the perfect combination for both spreading ink and gunfights. I'm not the best aim'er in the world, so i need a weapon that doesn't take too many shots to make a kil. I usually also pair my .52 gal Deco with a skill setup that makes me harder to kill, use less ink for my main weapon and where i move faster for the first 30 seconds. This has been the killer combination for me so far.

For Tower i think might try out the normal .52 Gal or some other weapons. As much as i love to the seeker it's not really doing anything to help me or my team in Tower mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom