• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

.96 Gal Deco: Analysis and Thoughts

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
.96 Gal Deco

wst_shot_heavy01.png

Lv Unlocked:

-WIP-

Cost:
-WIP-

Shop Description:
-WIP-

Type:
Shooter

Stats:
Range: High
Damage: High
Fire Rate: Low

Sub:
wsb_shield.png
Splash Wall

Special:
wsp_kingsquid.png
Kraken

Genreal Strategies:
-WIP-

Team Strategies:
-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:
-WIP-

Update: We are now accepting general strategies about this weapon. Please note I'll only add the strategy if I see video evidence or it is generally agreed upon in the thread.

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the .96 Gal Deco.

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
It's like they wanted to prove me wrong about the .52 Gal.

They said "nope, let's make an even better weapon for TC."

Coest

Inkling
I absolutely love this weapon! The wall is already my favorite sub and the range and power of this makes it so deadly! I used to switch between jet squelcher and .52 gal but this has the best of both. The kraken is also amazing for getting out of potentially deadly situations and going in for a close range splat!

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Like all the Gals, this is weapons has a slow fire rate, but it's pretty powerful. Not even 3 Defense Ups will increase the number of shots to kill, which is two. Range is fantastic and the sub and special are superb. It's perfect for Tower Control, both offensively and defensively. I can see this being an extremely common weapon in all modes though.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
Okay so this weapon is crazy and if you can get used to the weaker rate of fire it's certainly worth pursuing. It has my favourite loadout in the game and can adapt to any situation courtesy of an offensive and defensive option. It's not the easiest to use but it's very rewarding.

Senpai

Inkster Jr.
NNID
luigi8623
I'm just going to assume that I'm the only person who prefers the Sploosh to this.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
If only it had inkzooka instead of kraken. But oh well, it's too early to break the game completely I think^^

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
I've been using this a lot myself. The long range is great and the splash wall is even better. I find myself running right into the middle of a battle, throw a splash wall right in front and shoot from safety. The special is a good get-away ability (or charge the enemy). I see this weapon more for offense because you can't really make a big dent for coverage in turf wars but for fighting off the other team, it's great! The accuracy is surprisingly good for the range. I can almost match distance with charger weapons if I have the high ground, really surprises them :)

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
Am I the only person who likes the original .96 Gal more than this one? I just do bad with this weapon in general. I average 400-500 points with barely any kills with the Deco, but I can get over 900 points and 12 kills with the original on the same map with the same people. I want to use this weapon but I just completely suck with it. >_<

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Am I the only person who likes the original .96 Gal more than this one? I just do bad with this weapon in general. I average 400-500 points with barely any kills with the Deco, but I can get over 900 points and 12 kills with the original on the same map with the same people. I want to use this weapon but I just completely suck with it. >_<
Maybe you just like playing safe with your range, staying alive so that you can cover more. Echolocator does wonders for survivability, and of course
there's the sprinkler. Deco kind of wants you in the thick of things with the wall and kraken so I wouldn't be surprised if your mortality rate is higher with that one.

Walls do take practice to use effectively.

deepseadiva

Full Squid
So this is my main weapon since release! For personal reasons I needed to main a bedazzled weapon, and this one is matched with one of the best subs (IMHO), and Kraken is a very solid special. I know some might prefer Wail and Inkzooka, but Kraken works well for this kit. Some points I'd like to share:

I've felt very rewarded with this weapon set when being aggressive and abusing the shield that is the Splash Wall. My favorite strat at the moment is flying in first ahead of my team flinging a wall at the "meeting point" between the two teams, and if the opposing team is hot headed enough, netting one-two decisive kills that let us control the rest of the match.

With the Splash Wall I'm finding its usefulness is really tied to the maps in rotation. Every map has choke points, and so the idea is always to find that thin area and protect through it. Port Mackerel seems to be the ideal location, but like I said, every map seems to have one specific area a Splash Wall can fortify. Arowana Mall seems to be the worst, but there's probably much more for me to learn there.

Kraken is 'aight. Whenever fighting AGAINST Krakens, with the knowledge that you can shoot it away, its not as strong as it once was. But it still serves superbly as a panic button when your defense is broken through. Its versatile though since in the thick of battle, its fast enough to hit unaware opponents, and at worst becomes a guaranteed escape.

It has holes in the game plan though, the low fire rate is really obvious when caught up close against a Tentatek, or even a roller... If your Wall isn't up, they're going to get the splat before you. Thankfully the range on this thing lets you choose your engagements a little better.

I dunno I love it.

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
I only started playing the .96 Gal Deco recently, but I've been liking it a lot! As a Custom Jet Squelcher main that doesn't combo Burst Bombs that often anyway, the .96 Gal Deco gives me faster killing power while sacrificing a little range. Against non-Squelchers, this is actually more beneficial for me.

The Splash Wall is also fantastic, giving me some relief when facing enemies with higher range, blocking enemies off from advancing and letting me focus on other directions. It's also a great support tool, as I can put up the wall to help pushes with any Charger or other long ranged weapon user on my team.

For the way I play, I think I care more about getting Ink Savers of both types than getting Special Charge Up. Kraken is good, but I'm already fairly flexible with just the .96 Gal weapon and the Splash Wall sub-weapon. I'm more useful to the team when I can apply long-ranged pressure or wall off areas.

Unfortunately the Splash Wall is pretty bad for dealing with high ground or low ground. It's not great for going up or down the center hill of Arowana Mall. It doesn't help you up the wall into the enemy base for Bluefin Depot. It's not very good for fighting an enemy on top of the center tower of Blackbelly Skatepark. In the cases I just mentioned, Suction Bombs, Splat Bombs and Burst Bombs would be much more useful. I haven't tried Splash Walls yet on Moray Towers, but I suspect Splash Walls will not be very helpful on that map either. I also don't know if I should ever rely on Splash Walls when dealing with Dynamo Rollers. The Splash Wall costs so much ink as it is, and a Dynamo Roller can basically eat away a wall in just one flick.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
This murder machine is all about space control. The Wall keeps them from coming at you the way they want to if you throw it right, the range and power mean they can't approach you without tricks, and the Kraken is for making a break when things get tight. Using this to lock down an area that you already have inked up is probably the best role for it since you don't have the firing speed to rush into Bad Guy territory. Punish anybody heading for your base! You might not get the highest point total, but you'll win.

I also like this on Charger-heavy maps because it has good enough range to reach sniper spots and splats early enough so they can't escape as easily as with the longer-ranged-but-weaker Squelchers.

All in all, this is a very defensive weapon that really only shines on offence in Tower Control because everybody is in one spot and you don't have to chase them down.

xXDR.SWOOCEXx

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SupahHotFire17
This weapon is a beast on tower control. It;s so easy to find a perch and just shoot down on everyone who goes near the tower. On some stages the splash wall can push them off of the stage. And finally, who doesn't love riding the tower as a kraken for the win?

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
I'm curious, a friend of mine uses the .96 Gal Deco and I'm wondering what his optimal gear w/abilities choices are?

I'd assume Ink Saver Sub and Main, Special Duration, Mayyybe special charge; I think shoe-wise the Orange Lo-tops (1x Swim Speed, 3x Special Saver) or Cherry Kicks (1x Stealth Jump, 3x Run Speed) unsure entirely on the others. Suggestions?

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
I would personally focus on ink savers the most, and of both varieties (more emphasis on main). You want to be shooting often and to not be running out of ink in prolonged fights. You want splash walls down asap if you need to support an ally or if you know there's going to be a fight soon.

You actually don't want to kraken that often, only as a last resort if an enemy gets too close and you don't think you can kill them with your 96 gal. You are way more useful and dangerous when you have your 96 gal and splash wall available. You will eventually live long enough to charge kraken anyway, even with no special charge ups and the slow fire rate of the 96 gal. The combination of 96 gal and splash wall is really that strong.

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
I'm planning on rolling with this and the original .96 with my Sporty Bobble Hat (Tenacity) that has 3x Swim Speed, Choco Layered LS (Ink Saver Sub) with its Special Charge Up affinity, and Orange Arrows (Ink Saver Main) also sporting a high chance of Special Charge.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I've been running this with Black arrowbands-Tenacity (x2 special saver, x1 ink recovery up) Black vest(forgot its name)- Cold-blooded(x3 sub saver) and Crazy arrows- stealth jump(x2 special charge up, x1 ink recover up.)
It's been working pretty nice for me. ^w^

BluEyes

Senior Squid
In B at least this weapon is a beast in tower control. Do not be fooled by its low fire rate. For the same range, it kills faster than a Jet squelcher.
Ways to abuse this weapon:

1) stay out of the range of blasters,rollers and higher fire rate weapons like tentateks,Jr, Zapper etc.
2) If you need to defend a position/tower, use the wall,
3) Minimize your movements, play more like a charger but with sporadic movements. You dont have to be perched all the time. Move within safety distance of the tower or zone.
4) Do not over extend with your kraken. Use it to scatter the enemy then use your wall to regain composure.
5) For arowana mall, do not enter the SZ if given the choice. If you do, you will keep getting splatted endlessly.
6) For skatepark, use your wall on the centre tower structure. If you move back sufficiently before throwing the wall, it will land just on the edge.
7) For bluefin, use the wall immediately after you climbed the enemy platform or on the SZ at the first engagement.
8) 3 ink saver main because this beast drinks ink like a camel.

And welcome to the class of 96!

edit: and one last advice. When a non charger enemy advances head on toward you, press the down button simultaneously while you shoot. This ensures that you move back slow enough for him to enter the 96 gal range and make him regret doing it! For a charger, throw down that wall first!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom