• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Ability Stacking

Gear Ability Stacking

ELStalky

Inkster Jr.
ELStalky submitted a new guide:

Ability Stacking - With Proper Science For Once

The test map is a great place for examining the ability to stack abilities as it provides precise metrics. For this experiment we can simply use the damage up ability and see how it affects the damage.

(Right now i can only test the sub-abilities though, as i have no damage+ in any main slot and i cannot buy one right now, have placed an order though; so tomorrow at the latest i can examine that as well).

Here is what i have so far:

Splattershot 0sub: 36.0 dmg
Splattershot 1sub: 37.0 dmg...
Read more about this guide...

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Interesting. Would very much like to see corroborated findings for other abilities.

ELStalky

Inkster Jr.
Interesting. Would very much like to see corroborated findings for other abilities.
Other abilities are tricky to measure as accurately, maybe some timed abilities can be measured due to sound cues (i unfortunately do not have video capture at the moment, which would be rather useful) like i did with the fire rate for the DPS calculations.

Corgian

Inkling
NNID
Corgian
Awesome work! This is extremely useful information, I've shared it with the rest of my friends as well.

Katastrphik

Full Squid
NNID
allidactyl
ELStalky submitted a new guide:

Ability Stacking - With Proper Science For Once

Read more about this guide...

Was working on the damage/defense side of abilities yesterday. Managed to nail down numbers for every weapon, using Damage Up in the Main slots only.

One last update on this. I went through every weapon to see exactly how many Hits to Splat each takes, and if it can be reduced.

Here is the data table.

The (A/D) determines the difference between your Attack increases and your opponents Defense increases.
This should fluctuate with minor ability slots. However, I stuck with just Major slots.

A few oddities occur here. For one, there seems to be a damage cap in place. Noticeable on the Jet Squelcher (Probably applies to more weapons if you stack minor abilities as well). This leads into the fact that no weapon can kill quicker with damage ups, only less against armored foes.

Think this really drives the point home. Damage increases are of very little value. Maybe helping in situations where you are trying to push the range of your weapon, or with AoEs.

Shadowcat

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Shadowcat96
The jet squealer with 1 main dmg does 33.3% with one shoot but if I add anymore no matter what amount it will always do 33.3% v.v

ELStalky

Inkster Jr.
The jet squealer with 1 main dmg does 33.3% with one shoot but if I add anymore no matter what amount it will always do 33.3% v.v
Correct. It has been suggested that this is meant to stop the ability to get below the initial amount of shots needed to splat someone. Here that is three. so it is not allowed to do more than 33.3, as 33.3 = 99.9.

I'll address that in the guide at some point.

ELStalky

Inkster Jr.
ELStalky updated Ability Stacking with a new update entry:

Damage capping

Damage Up stacking caps for certain weapons at some point. This is believed to be due to the amount of shots being needed to splat someone with that weapon being made fix. So if a weapon takes three shots to splat someone without any abilities then it will also splat at three shots with 3main abilities. Chargers are not affected by this. (Likely because in the charged state they all kill at one shot.)
This effect can be seen with the Aerospray already when applying 2mains. The damage...
Read the rest of this update entry...

Figy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Hummana
I went and tested a few of the movement abilities and i don't have exact numbers or times but...
I found that quick super jump doesn't stack and is about .5-ish secs faster.
Swim speed also doesn't stack but increases the speed overall.
Run speed can stack up, i can only test with 3 but it does stack up to at least 3(might be the max, idk?).

Last edited:

ELStalky

Inkster Jr.
I went and tested a few of the movement abilities and i don't have exact numbers or times but...
I found that quick respawn doesn't stack and is about .5-ish secs faster.
Swim speed also doesn't stack but increases the speed overall.
Run speed can stack up, i can only test with 3 but it does stack up to at least 3(might be the max, idk?).
I doubt that any of the abilities that are numerical do not stack, i just ran some tests on Swim Speed Up and it seems to stack just fine. Unless you have solid data to back any of this up the stacking hypothesis seems the most plausible (i think even Judd talks about it in one of his hints).

Figy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Hummana
I doubt that any of the abilities that are numerical do not stack, i just ran some tests on Swim Speed Up and it seems to stack just fine. Unless you have solid data to back any of this up the stacking hypothesis seems the most plausible (i think even Judd talks about it in one of his hints).
I tested it kind of quick and i tried to time it and it looked like using 2 or more didn't make it any faster.Ill try it again and record it.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
I found that quick respawn doesn't stack and is about .5-ish secs faster.
How did you test this? I have 3 quick respawns on gear that I swear spawns you faster than just one quick respawn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom