• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Advertisement Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
Me and some friends were discussing the differences the other day and uh...the american one is pretty bad. I honestly thought it was a joke at first

mancity

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Platypus93
I got bored halfway through the American ad. 'Nuff said.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
The AU commercial is kinda how I expected the American one to be

KniteLyfe

Full Squid
NNID
KniteLyfe
Japanese > Australian > American

The Japanese one was executed so much better. You have to have something that grabs or surprises the viewer, otherwise most people won't care about what you're advertising.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
Japanese > Australian > American

The Japanese one was executed so much better. You have to have something that grabs or surprises the viewer, otherwise most people won't care about what you're advertising.
It's hard for me to decide. Maybe if the Japanese one showed a tiny bit of gameplay to viewers I would put it over the AU advertisement

Fate

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Fate684
I would say the American one is a better commercial. The music isn't great, but it does remind me of a lot of the 90s toy commercials and more importantly it shows game play. For people who don't know what Splatoon is, they'll still be confused about the game seeing the Japanese commercial. The AU commercial has the best video, but just having music makes it feel more like a quick trailer than a commercial.

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
The AU commercial is kinda how I expected the American one to be
This is the best commercial out of all three countries. The US one was just painful to watch. If they hadn't made the song just for the commercial, then I would have been fine with the US one.

However, after reading the comments on the US Splatoon commercial on YouTube, Nintendo's marketing team obviously knows their viewers way more than I do. I must not be American enough then. Must be all the anime I watch. =P

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
The Oz one is what one would expect from a typical commercial for a game. The Japan one has the best overall direction and artistry. The USA one makes me want to move to Japan... or Mexico, anywhere other than here really.

Tepip

Inkster Jr.
I feel as if the American advert is trying to appeal to a broader amount of people than the Australian or Japanese ones.

Australian commercial is the best though.

HyperKirby013

Inkling
NNID
Justin
I didn't mind the song it was just we didn't get any special animations like other countries

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
I get the feeling Nintendo is convinced the Japanese advert wouldn't fly in other countries because their most successful IPs have always been 'deodorized' of anything too Japanese. When exporting a new game idea, they always have to strike that balance between being weird enough to be interesting, but not so Japanese as to be alienating. A squid hopping around Shibuya falls on the wrong side of that.

I wrote a 2,000-word essay on the appeal of Pokémon last semester, so I ended up reading a lot about this stuff. :P

itisRag

NNID
itisrag
I get the feeling Nintendo is convinced the Japanese advert wouldn't fly in other countries because their most successful IPs have always been 'deodorized' of anything too Japanese. When exporting a new game idea, they always have to strike that balance between being weird enough to be interesting, but not so Japanese as to be alienating. A squid hopping around Shibuya falls on the wrong side of that.

I wrote a 2,000-word essay on the appeal of Pokémon last semester, so I ended up reading a lot about this stuff. :p
I won't disagree, but I just think that the fact of this being the case is kind of sad. I wish eastern influenced entertainment were less of a niche thing in the west and more socially acceptable. Even being niche is alright, but having to bastardize something in localization for it to be deemed "acceptable" to the point that it loses some of its original charm is disappointing to me.

I think it's more of a problem with western culture, because eastern culture has adopted many things from the west that are found to be completely acceptable and don't have to be masked or censored, such as baseball, basketball and regular use of Latin characters and western words. We use some eastern words in the west (many people probably without even knowing their origin) but we mostly convert them to our alphabet.

Don't mistake me for a liberal. I'm actually quite isolationist -- perhaps why I admire Japan. I just think that preservation of culture and original charm is important, regardless of which culture.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
The thing is the Japanese advert isn't even the standard "ZOMG JAPAN IS SO WIYUUUUURD!" kind of advert, it's just a well done animation showcasing the game's premise and mechanics in a visually appealing way.

The American one, to cut the bullshit, is trash. If this is representative of cultural differences, America's culture must really suck

Jaded Alyx

Inkling
NNID
Jaded_Alyx
From a marketing standpoint, the American one is better in that it shows gameplay. I assume there will be another one in Japan to show some gameplay, but from the one that's being discussed now, it doesn't really say what the game is.

itisRag

NNID
itisrag
From a marketing standpoint, the American one is better in that it shows gameplay. I assume there will be another one in Japan to show some gameplay, but from the one that's being discussed now, it doesn't really say what the game is.
I can understand and accept that some people need to be spoonfed precisely what something is in order to buy it, but I'll be happier if they could also show a variation on the more artistic city scene commercial in the west as well. There's nothing wrong with having multiple TV spots per region, budget allowing.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
I can understand and accept that some people need to be spoonfed precisely what something is in order to buy it
Be more condescending... ಠ_ಠ

The American one, to cut the bullshit, is trash. If this is representative of cultural differences, America's culture must really suck
Also, I think you're looking too much into the commercial differences when you say things like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom