• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Another Ruleset Proposal (not possible for a few months)

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
I'm as tired as you all are of the endless proposals put forth on this site. However, I figured now is as better time as ever to take a stab at this maddness and throw my 2 cents in on the matter.
Disclaimer: This should go into effect after we as a community have had A LOT (and I mean like a lot) of time to determine the statuses of certain maps. Like…..4-6 months down the road. I'll talk about that later. However, I feel like this is somewhat of the direction we should go.

First thing is first: I come from a mostly Smash background. However, I do not go to tournaments, compete in ladders, etc. with the community, I just watch big tournaments and I understand how the ruleset works. I come from NO FPS background. So a lot of things I say will be mostly based on that.

Going off of some things by @flc, a Challenger is the person who sets up the match, and the opponent is the defendant.
Also, I'd like to thank @Danny for the idea of implementing a map pool. I don't know if anyone else came up with it first, I just know that he was the first one I saw.

Gametype Pool creation: Personally, I feel as if we categorize gametype combinations into "neutrals" and "counterpicks" to make this a little more fair. If we could decide this as a community, we can move forward with the following setup. I am not saying this because I think a Smash ruleset works for this game. I just think that countering specific scenarios is a process in stage selection that works. I understand that we as a community will have to throw around many ideas on what gametypes should be "banned", "neutral," or a "counterpick," but in the end, there will be one consensus that arrives, albeit in a year or so.

Gametype Pool Selection for Bo5. (for Bo7, increase for 1 more counter on each team) *numbers are completley random, just showing how many gametypes are assigned to each.)

1: Agreed Neutral
2: Opponent Neutral
3: Challenger Neutral
4-6: Opponent Counters
7-9: Challenger Counters

This pool allows everyone to get a little of what they want. Because there is an odd number of matches that can be played, there needs to be a gametype that both teams agree on.

Match Progression: Here's how a match should work.
Match 1: Agreed Neutral
>This should come first. This is so that neither team feels like they were cheated out of match 1. Both teams agreed to this gametype. Match 1 can be very important, as we will see to come.
Match 2: Opponent Neutral
Match 3: Challenger Neutral
>This rounds out a mini Bo3. This the current winner and the current loser will greatly impact the coming matches.
Match 4: Loosing (basically the team with the least amount of wins) Counterpicks a stage from either list, theirs or the other team's.
Match 5: Looser of Match 4 Counter.
>By default, this would be the winner of the first match, need there be a 5th match.
In a Bo7, Matches 6 and 7 play like match 5, where the loser of the last round picks.
In a Squad War, this process would be repeated (making a "set") to make a Bo3 "war".

Other noteworthy rules:
-Maps are locked in before the weapon selection/player substitution occurs. Teams do not have to say if they have changed players or weapons or gear.
-Maps cannot be played twice in the same set.
-For each set, the map pool will be redrawn.
-A coinflip or will determine the host of the match. In a war, if this is an issue with the team that does not host the first set, they may host the second. A second coinflip will determine the host of a tiebreaker set.
-(any other rules? I think I covered most everything.)

I originally based this around a Bo5 and made some quick edits to make a Bo7. I feel that this is a solid setup for Squad Wars, but not necessarily tournaments. Tournaments should be held on a Bo7 format. This may need some edits as far as the Bo7 format.

This seems generally fair to me. Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom