• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Bluefin Depot Analysis and Thoughts

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet

More information being added as the map is played more online...

Siggykewts

Inkling
NNID
Siggykewts
It seems like there's a lot less inkable turf in this map. The squids were changing size much more rapidly than other maps. Pretty neat!

Overall, I like it. The aesthetic is a bit different from previous maps, but I dig it. There's more fighting in the middle area, with pushing into enemy territory being much more difficult from the 2 chokepoints. Ink mines on those choke points HURT.

Chargers have a much more important job in this map, since it seems like they can actually snipe here. Long range ones only, though; I tried the Squiffer and it was no bueno.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
The map is more or less two choke points. Normally, this can become bad pretty quickly but the map does a few things right.

Primarily, the two choke points are low ground, meaning they should be a bit hard to hold and not turn into stalemates too easily.

One thing to note is that the only way to make it from one bridge to another (from what I can tell) is Super Jumping. I'm interested in seeing what this leads to once we get private matches.

Overall impressions: a surprisingly simple map, but it avoids being stale.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I like this map, so here's a longpost detailing all my thoughts and first impressions.
OVERVIEW:
It's a pretty small map, with two disconnected center areas, each having a +-sign-ish thing in the middle and two ramps, and an area outside of each spawn point connected to both center parts, each giving two methods of entry to the center areas, which can both be used to access your side as well. It's feels very cramped, especially in those center parts, and it seems really easy to take over one area and sneak-attack a team not paying attention to both sides or who just loses everyone on one side.
Also, there's water around the stage, which you can fall in pretty easily (or be pushed into) if you're not careful. Which I have. Repeatedly.
Spawn Point & Pre-Center:
There are three grate paths down from the spawn to the pre-center area on each side, as well as two places you can just drop down from to reach the pre-center area, so it's probably not that easy to spawncamp unless your whole team is dedicated to it, since there are several avenues out of the spawn point. The pre-center area is a long horizontal area with a lowish ramp in the center, a tallish box on each side that can be used for cover, and a small box on each side near the ledge that can be used to shoot into the center areas. You can enter the center areas three ways from here:
1) You can jump down from the area near the center of the pre-center, which has a wall that can be inked up. A fairly obvious entry point, but the fastest one.
2) you can go the the far side of pre-center, which has a wall you can hide behind, then has a wall you can jump down, which, again, can be inked up. This is probably the best sniper point of the entryways, since you have the wall to hide behind, but it takes the longest to reach. Additionally, it's a bit tricky to get at someone who hides in here (at least in my experience), since you can only get at them from two directions.
3) you can jump from the pre-center area farther from the middle to the center area (near the little box). This one is the fastest, but you cannot retreat as easily from here as from the other two entry points, and if you misjudge the distance you can fal into the water, which dissolves you and makes you wait to respawn. I have done this.
The Centers:
Yes, centers. There are two rectangular center areas, each with a sorta-+-sign-shaped just-above-Inkling-height wall structure in the middle of each one, a pair of ramps closer to each side (not sure what these are for, honestly), a rectangular tarp thing that cannot be inked right on each side between the two entry-point walls. It's really small, which makes it feel very combat-heavy. It has the +-wall and the ramps for coverage, though all of them can be inked and traversed, so it's not completely safe, but nothing is safe in the center. The centers are unconnected, with no way across, but you can shoot across.
Additionally, you can ink up the walls in the center to reach each side's pre-center area.
Turf War Thoughts:
I think the most balanced way to attack this stage is to send one person into each center area, with a Charger/Squelcher/ or maybe .96 Gal and Dynamo Roller (normal or Gold) on each side's pre-center to act as a sniper or just provide supporting fire. Once you hold a center area, you can have that side's duo move up into the enemy's pre-center, harassing enemies on their side and covering their side in ink. I wouldn't recommend moving Chargers up, since they should do best from an elevated position to shoot down into the center, but definitely move Squelchers, .96 Gals and Dynamos into the center.
For the Inkling fighting in the center, you can choose between a fast-firing shooter (superior fire rate, but generally crap for combat; either hide in ink to score surprise splats or hope your sniper is good), stronger shooters (not great for turf coverage, but better for combat, so you don't need the sniper as much), rollers (great for turf coverage and good at close combat, but will need sniper support to deal with ranged foes) or Blasters (ultra-powerful, but crappy for turf coverage). Maybe you could use Inkbrush (speed is nice, and the loadout's good, but the area might be too small to take advantage of your speed and the low power and range could be problematic).
For the sniper, use a Charger (non-Squiffer, preferably, since range is needed for this, but they're the obvious choice and can 1-shot enemies; watch out for ambushes though) and Squelchers (not as good for super-long-range, but better for when you get ambushed). Maybe you could use a .96 Gal or Dynamo Roller (might not have enough range, but they're very strong and their loadouts let them cover areas quickly with Sprinklers or Inkstrikes).
Alternatively, you could replace the snipers with two teammates who go wherever they are needed. These teammates could use either a Splat Roller (not sure the Killer Wail would be good here, but Suction Bombs are nice), Krak-On Roller (Squid Beakons are great for getting teammates back into the fight quickly, though I'm not sure you'll need them on a map this smallish, but the real attraction here is the most mobile special in the game, the Kraken, which is awesometastic here like it usually is), either Dynamo Roller (not as fast, but HUGESWINGS give it range and power over the other rollers, and you can cover areas fairly quickly with Sprinklers or Inkstrike; in fact, Inkstrikes are a great support special in general since you can hit anywhere with it) or possibly an Inkbrush (very speedy, to get around quickly, and Sprinklers and Inkstrikes make it great for turf coverage and team support, but it may not have enough power and its range is awful; purely for turf coverage, only use if your teammates can handle combat without you most of the time) or Aerospray/Splattershot Jr. (really fast firing and wide spread is great, but you'll have to run away from fights sometimes; less often with Jr. because you have Bubbler, but you're not winning most firefights with these weapons, so rely on someone else for splattering people most of the time and focus on covering turf).
Splat Zones Thoughts:
The map changes a bit in Splat Zones. The Splat Zone is on one of the center parts, with the other having two ramps that you can jump off of to reach the area with the Splat Zone. This changes how you play the stage completely, as most Splat Zones levels that i like do, by making the fight about a single area. However, the center area without the Splat Zone cannot be ignored, since you can access the side with the Splat Zone through it, as well as accessing the other team's pre-center, which can lead to snipers getting wrecked from the side before their teammates in the center get sandwiched to death and control of the Splat Zone changes hands.
I think the best way to approach this map is with a setup like this:
(1) Dedicated Zone Fighter: Jumps into the Pit Of Death that is the Splat Zone and fights from there, covering the Zone when enemies aren't around.
(2) Dedicated Sniper: Stands on the edge of pre-center and snipes from there with a Charger.
(3) Harassment & Secondary Zone Fighter: Goes after the center area without the Splat Zone, either to get into the Zone via the ramps or to attack the enemy team from their pre-center.
(4) Dedicated Support: Can either go into the Splat Zone with (1), guard (2) if an attack is coming from the side, or aid (3) in going down the center area. Generally supports whoever needs supporting.
Alternately, you can get rid of the Dedicated Sniper for a second Dedicated Support.
Weapon Type Usefulness Thoughts:
Shooters: Useful as always, but you might want more powerful shooters for this stage because it's smaller, or to get Inkzooka or Bomb Rushes frequently otherwise.
Chargers: Fairly useful, mostly for scoring splats against enemies in the center areas, but watch out for ambushes.
Squiffers: Yes, I'm aware this is a Charger, but I feel it's different enough to warrant a separate analysis. The Squiffers might be able to snipe a bit, but their shorter range and lack of arcing shots can leave it less useful for fighting through the center. Still, these might be useful for spawncamping, since they charge quickly, splat in 1 shot and still outrange most weapons. Again, be wary of being flanked, but your fast charging can somewhat mitigate this.
Rollers: Not sure these will be useful. The Krak-On will be the most useful, simply for having Squid Beakons to get teammates to areas quickly and the Kraken for pretty much anything, but Dynamo Rollers could be useful as well, since they can splatter foes easily with their tidal waves of ink and can cover the center area they're not in decently by tossing over a Sprinkler. Gold Dynamo Rollers could be useful too, but more for combat than turf coverage, since they have Splat Bombs instead of Sprinklers, and can support their team from anywhere with Inkstrikes.
Blasters: Should be pretty useful in a smallish map like this. Custom is probably better here, since it has Bubbler, but all of them should be fine.
Inkbrush: A mixed bag. It's fast, and it can cover turf like no other thanks to its speed, Sprinklers and Inkstrikes, but its weak, short swings hurt its combat ability. It could work, especially in Turf War, but I dunno.
Final Thoughts:
I like this stage. Despite being a very close-combat-y stage and not having much room to manuever in those center parts, I feel like it's fun to play on. Splat Zones is kinda chaotic, but that might have been my team forgetting the other side of the map exists.
I was expecting to hate Splat Zones here for the same reason I hate Port Mackerel's Splat Zones, because spawncamping feels like a requirement for winning, but the single Zone makes spawncamping feel kinda unnecessary since you can focus your whole team on one area instead of having to spread your team thin covering both Zones. I don't like it as much in Turf War, since I can't cover the whole center by myself, but it's nice too.
So overall, yeah, this map is a nice addition. I'll probably enjoy it more after the August update, but it's fun now too.
Also I could be completely wrong about all of this. Wouldn't surprise me at all, actually.

kiwi_tea

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kiwi_tea
Rollers on this one are incredibly dangerous if you don't have someone hold off the two ramps on the opposing side of the water. One of the challenges is the team quickly becomes split between those two mid-sections. I've be playing lots of ranked on this today with an inkbrush, which is just as effective on this map once you work out good spots for sprinklers, either to cover turf or to choke passages.

Once you've got the splatzone, you HAVE to make sure the adjacent island isn't crawling with enemies, or you won't be holding it for long. It's actually better to neglect the splatzone at first, and get up onto the opposing side's higher ground and hold them off from both the islands. Sitting round the splatzone is NOT holding the real advantage. I keep getting on these teams where chargers and shooters end up being flanked from behind on their own side of the map because they're all busy camping the splat zone, and I'm sorry, but as an inkbrush player there's only so much I can do about that. I give you heaps of turf heaps fast, and I stay alive and be your mobile beacon, but it's up to you to win the firefights. :(

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
I haven't played this on Splat Zones yet but this seems like the worst parts of Arowana Mall mixed in with Walleye Warehouse.

kiwi_tea

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kiwi_tea
I haven't played this on Splat Zones yet but this seems like the worst parts of Arowana Mall mixed in with Walleye Warehouse.
That sounds roughly right, if the worst parts of Arowana Mall are the two small vertical faces in the centre. Basically this map demands you ink walls, and climb them, and if you don't ink a wall that an enemy could exploit, or if you don't ink the wall *behind* you, you're potentially going to be cornered.

tl:dr = ink the climbing walls!

Last edited:

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
That sounds roughly right, if the worst parts of Arowana Mall are the two small vertical faces in the centre. Basically this map demands you ink walls, and climb them, and if you don't ink a wall that an enemy could exploit, or if you don't ink the wall *behind* you, you're potentially going to be cornered.

tl:dr = ink the climbing walls!
Yeah, that seemed to be a major thing that I took advantage of in the few sessions I played. Still a really wonky map.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I can see Ink Mines being used to hold choke points in Turf Wars. I know I've used them plenty of times to ward off or otherwise splat foes at critical areas.

As for the dual centers, this really brings so much to the table. Not only do you have to split attention between both (and the rest of the map as well), but the concept also makes it so that you'll have to do plenty of swimming around just to get between them. Granted, I can see they've made transitions a bit easier in Splat Zones, but I don't play ranked battles as much so I'll have to get used to managing both areas.

That said, grates are really dangerous here because many of them are over water. That and the fact that you have to run over them while potentially under heavy fire (especially the one between the spawn points and pre-centers) make them so precarious. They've messed me up in singleplayer a couple times, and I can imagine them messing up anyone else who isn't careful.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
It's a decent map. You have to remember to look at the gamepad though to know where the zone is when you start, otherwise you're going to look like an idiot going to the wrong side haha xD. Also it's easy to suicide on this map, so be careful. Another problem is that this map doesn't seem to have a lot of space to ink in order to charge your special. As well, this map seems to favour chargers. Defending the zone or retaking it wont be easy with them around.

Lovebird

Inkster Jr.
NNID
shibakisses
the middle being two separate parts was really interesting to me. however, i play almost exclusively as krak-on, and this map was very difficult for me. i'm always scoping good places to put beakons, though. i'll update with my findings.

Chocoling

Pro Squid
NNID
Mystical-Tabby
astheticly and In-Universe wise, im with the Squid Sisters - this place is pretty creepy... Its run down compared to other places and Callie mentions she thinks she sees ghosts (but they are infact Judd roaming around) aswell as Marie having the urge to follow bright lights out to sea at night time - which, if she did - would most likely result in her dying...
So we are at least in agreement that this stage gives off uneasy vibes.

However i do like it for Splatzones and manage to claw my way back up the ranking while on it however Turf War feels like that Pink Panther gif where you go one way and the other team goes in the same direction so you're just reclaiming each others land.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
Splat Zones on this map is really clever, was expecting two zones but got surprised to see the changes in terrain, it makes the stage feel more like Saltyspray Rig than the other stages.

Holding the zone is not an easy task as most of the time the enemy gets the height advantage. I noticed long range shooters are really effective at claiming the zone even without having to go to the lower area.

Haven't played much in Turf Wars to give impressions yet.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I felt that this stage renders ink strikes pretty useless if they're targeting me, due to the wide open areas the place offers.
Snipers, Inkzookas and Krakens are what i fear the most on this stage as well, the giant bar in the middle is godsent so i don't have to bother with snipe on snipe fighting from one side to the other side.
Longe range weapons are a must when holding central parts, short range weapons needs to swiftly run up against the opponents base early on to prevent snipes and long range attacks.

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
It seems like there's a lot less inkable turf in this map. The squids were changing size much more rapidly than other maps. Pretty neat!

Overall, I like it. The aesthetic is a bit different from previous maps, but I dig it. There's more fighting in the middle area, with pushing into enemy territory being much more difficult from the 2 chokepoints. Ink mines on those choke points HURT.

Chargers have a much more important job in this map, since it seems like they can actually snipe here. Long range ones only, though; I tried the Squiffer and it was no bueno.
I disagree, this map is an absolute beauty for the squiffer. Had a blast on this map last night :)

LemonPlaid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Exo-Josh
Edited X-Post from /r/splatoon

This map is not [balanced for both teams] as while it is mirrored, the splat zone is not on the line of symmetry which makes this map ultimately unbalanced. For starters, there are three obstacles in/near the splatzone itself. A double T-shaped wall configuration thingy. Which is microscopically unbalanced, as the ocean-orientated side must use the outside of the map to reach their closer wall, however, their wall is slightly closer to their side. Next we have a ramp which faces the city-orientated side, but is closer to the ocean side. I honestly don't know who it favors as it makes it easier for the city side to spray it, but its faster for the ocean side to scale it (however the city side gains horizontal distance along with vertical distance.) Next we have the block that is closer to the city side. This obviously favors the city side as it provides extra cover and/or height.

Finally, there's the most important unbalanced component in my opinion. On both sides, there is only one route to spawn from the opposing spawn via a grated bridge. The bridge to the ocean-side is significantly closer to the splat zone, making it significantly easier for the city side to camp if they choose to do so.

This lack of balance can be easily balanced by adding a second splat zone on the same position on the other side of the line of symmetry and reversing one of the bridges in the center of the map.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
This map is great for chargers in Splat Zone. I like getting on the ramp and shooting at the Splat Zone from there, with a weapon with long enough range you can reach everything and ink the zone as well as support friends and kill enemies. You can also shoot from below the ramp, it usually surprises the opponent when they approach as they expect you to be in the ramp. At the same time, you have to be incredibly wary of enemies coming through, if someone goes past you or kills you he can do a lot of damage.

There are other places were you can snipe from, I think this map is great for snipers. If you manage to get 2 competent snipers on your team there´s nothing the enemy can do.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
I also though it was a strange decision to only have one zone but I think it's for the best, it is chaotic enough and I believe two zones would make it almost impossible to tick the counter down. The grated bridge could easily be replicated adding a grate to the side that doesn't have it, as we know they can do as Arowana Mall adds a variety of grates in the center area.

I don't feel the other elements provide that much benefit for either side, maybe they could add a ramp instead of just placing a box on the other side, but I feel it wouldn't change much.

kiwi_tea

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kiwi_tea
It's a trade off. Sure, one team has a faster run into the Splat Zone, but the other can quickly flank via the neighboring island. I've had a really terrible morning on this map, with teammates again camping the Splat Zone instead of pushing forward, and letting themselves be swamped as the opposing team gain control of the other side of the map and eventually come round at us from both sides. It's gotten to the point where I *always* open by running the direction opposite the Splat Zone and try to claim the neighboring island and ink us a pathway round behind them, cos if they have competent players, that's what they will be trying to do.

I feel like no other Splat Zones map demands quite so much control of the whole map.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I'd say its the map where comebacks will be most likely, especially in Splat zones. If you're not paying attention the map you can easily be taken down simply by an enemy player going through the opposite middle area, across the map to corner you. Spacial awareness is key here which I personally really like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom