• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Booyah Battle 4 Results/Feedback

BestTeaMaker

Pro Squid
NNID
BestTeaMaker

http://hypest.challonge.com/bb4
http://challonge.com/bb4Finals

Anyways, as of writing this, I'm tired. Murphy's Law got invoked.
Yes, we wanted to make this a one-day tournament. We wanted to allow those who got tired of 2-day events. We decided to go Swiss -> Top 8 DE because we decided that Swiss alone wasn't rewarding or climactic enough, and we don't generally like running Single Elimination. Within our estimated time frame, the Swiss rounds were to last 45-minutes each round, meaning a 4.5 hour + 1 hour for lag/dc issues. The Top 8 DE then would then be about 3-4 hours, faster since it would be made up of the top players who have gotten used to the situation.

In terms of the Swiss tiebreakers, that was something we messed up. We originally found an issue with Challonge and Swiss. Challonge doesn't take into account of DQ'd participants in terms of points, so their score would get inflated in turn and thus affect the rest of the teams. We decided at first to do a game/set won, but there also was an issue where the bucholz score for many people were too high to ignore. We decided to take a look again at the Wins vs. Tied, and determined that the DQ'd teams did not affect the rankings enough to change the Top 8. Switching from one method to another was a mistake on our part, and we should have been more transparent about this process.

Many people asked us why we ran Swiss in the first place. In short, we love running Swiss. It allows enough rounds to determine top players, while allowing players of similar skill and points to play against each other. A normal DE means the worst teams only get to experience two matches. With Swiss, they will be able to play more games and have adequate tournament experience. At the same time, it addresses the issue of top players playing against other players of equal skill and/or points and gives them the challenge they want. Yes, it does require every team to wait for other teams to finish, but we were hoping that as the rounds went on, the process would become easier.

Concerning the DC issues and final ruling of the Tie between Team Nintendome and The Squid Box, that is something I unfortunately could not control. Unlike Booyah Battle 3, where a team was shown to be in the lead, I could not make a clean call for this one as it was a 1-1 tie. Both team expressed that they were tired. An offer to postpone the match was offered, but eventually it was refused in favor of splitting the rest of the pot. Again, it was not the ending I had wanted for this event, and I'm sorry that this happened.

I just want to thank people for their patience and am glad that people still enjoyed the tournament despite the hangups that occurred. If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, grievances, whatever, please note them down below.

Albatross

Senior Squid
NNID
Zacrowski
Regardless of context, no matter what, in any situation, changing the scoring system numerous times mid tournament while getting side by side comparisons of who would end up in the top 8, is not ok. At all, ever.

[Nothing against the teams that were in Top 8, I know they had nothing to do with this]

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
The changing of the tie breaker rules at the end of pools left many people confused. Me and my squad (SpeedRunsLive) were swapped around in 3 different placements while things were being checked out. The fact that the rules were changed was annoying as it left people wondering who was actually in top 8 until everything was finalized. I feel like these issues should have been addressed prior to the tournament. I understand that you might not have known how the DQs would have affected things but that should have been something tested at some point.

Also every round taking a little over an hour a piece was mind blowing. People were playing for 50 minutes and still being on game 2 somehow. Mind boggling

Dragonuto

Pro Squid
Community Ambassador
NNID
Dragonuto
Regardless of the issues Mid tournament it was still an enjoyable experience. Sure it took longer than expected but that happens especially in Swiss. I do think that it should've been 2 day with Swiss on the first day but besides that it was fun :D .

Congratz to The squid box and Nintendome for taking it :P

Sendou

Full Squid
NNID
Sendou
The tournament was alright. Swiss is still not my favorite format yet I understand why you guys would prefer it. It's also important that lower end teams get a good number of games. If it's against teams on their own level all better. Yet I do have to say first playing Swiss for like 5 or 6 hours (which essentially was group stages as far as the level of teams we faced is considered) leaves you exhausted going into top 8 cut DE. Doubly so if you consider this tournament ended at around 5AM Eastern European Time. I do understand the appeal of one day tournaments and I'm an advocate for them myself but I don't think trying to finish 40+ team tournament with both Swiss and DE in one day is feasible at all.

Also you guys know the error in this but I guess the fact that criterias for top 8 cut should be known before the tournament starts. The way it looked was that you guys played with different options to see what top 8 cut would you most like to see personally. Again I don't think this is what it was like just trying to give an outer perspective that people spectacing might have. Also as this is too common now I think it would be a good idea to add in a rule that decides what happens when grand finals are obstructed by server problems. I have always been satisfied with how you guys run BB and this time is really no different. I understand that many things happened that were either unexpected or beyond your control. In general I'm a bit tired of the whole tournament format and would be much more interested in some kind of league. I know this is an opinion shared by other people as well.

I like I played for 10+ hours to have our names below SquidBox in the banner. I guess its too petty to ask if whether having it side by side is too much. .o.
Yes, it is pretty petty to be honest.

Static

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kevinjamesfan65
Yes, it is pretty petty to be honest.
Petty? He is clearly upset like most of us were and was expressing a small form of gratitude that could have be done correctly. Petty would have been arguing over the prize pool. If you have an issue feel free to PM us on here or on Discord.

Erik Flamberge

Inkling
NNID
Guillewilly
Well, I have a bunch of things to say based on the experience me and my team (Hokusai Squad) had.
First things first: we all enjoyed it and learned as a group. We had a great time playing. HOWEVER we had some negative experiences during the tournament:

The tournament had a lot of participants, which meant a lot of hours of play. I would honestly prefer a 2-day tournament. If that wasn't enough, the first round lasted for about 1h. Someone (no idea who it was) decided that 1h per round is too much (which obviously is), so a time limit was set for the next rounds. I won't get into details but this time limit basically made our team lose de 2nd round, however we had no idea that the time limit existed.

Something else we didn't like was the rules were in case of disconnection. They were a lot of things unexplained, which caused some rounds that shouldn't be repeated (ar least from our point of view) to be repeated, making each round to last even longer. I hope that the next time the ruleset is better defined, just to prevent ambiguous situations.

That's all I have to say, happy painting :)

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
yeah, with that many rounds running this all in one day was pushing it. worth giving it a try, but to put it in perspective, large yugioh tournaments, which do have a 40 minute match time limit, don't run that many rounds in one day. I can definitely understand why people would be exhausted after so many games.

Otherwise from what I can tell seemed to run pretty well. Good job again you guys. BB always seems like a quality tournament.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom