• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Calamari Cup v1.1

Blast

Inactive
NNID
Blastystoise

Hey hey, welcome to the first football-style tournament here on Squidboards: the Calamari Cup! For this tournament we'll be using the same format as most of the big football tournaments (and we're talking about European football/soccer here), like the UEFA Champions League or the World Cup. Because there's no central Splatoon tournament format I figured it would be neat to see if this works, because, in my opinion, it could be pretty good format for Splatoon too :3

RULESET AND INFO:

* In this tournament there'll be 16 teams competing
* Teams consist of 3-8 players
* Every squad can only enter a single team
* Teams must have a team leader who communicates with other team leaders about their matches

Players can be swapped in between matches but not in between games. An exception is when one of the players is having trouble with their connection and keeps DCing, then the team leader can decide to substitute that player in the middle of a match. They can only do this is once per match though.

The tournament will consist of two stages: a group stage and a knock-out stage.

Group stage:
* The 16 teams will be randomly placed in poules of 4
* Every team plays one match against the other teams in the group
* All group stage matches are best of 5
* A win is rewarded with 3 points and loss with 0
* After all the teams in one group have played their matches, the top 2 of that group move on to the knock-out stage
* If two teams are tied, the winner is decided by who won their mutual match

Knock-out stage:
* The knock-out stage is single elimination, there's no losers or winners bracket
* Knock-out stage matches are also best of 5, though the final is best of 7
* In the quarterfinals (top 8) teams who got number 1 in their group will be matched with a number 2 from another group

A sample for the final tournament on Challonge can be found here!

* The maps and modes will be pre-decided for each round and must be played in that exact order
* The modes we'll be using in this tourney are Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker
* The map and mode-list for each round is applicable to all poule matches and knock-out matches

The map and mode-list will be up shortly, stay tuned!

For this tournament team leaders and TOs will communicate with each other to report scores, set up matches, etc. with the use of the Discord web app. It's a web app that's free, comes with servers and channels and it's pretty easy to use too, it doesn't require any installation either. Team leaders are expected to have a (temporary) account on Discord, as well as an understanding of how to use it.

* For this tournament, we'll be using the Calamari Cup Discord server for all communication (link: )
* Team leaders have to check in to the check-in channel before 20:00 CEST or their team will get disqualified
* Match results are to be posted in the results channel
* There's a general chat for conversations and discussions, so please don't get off topic in the results and check-in channels

For the team leaders' convenience there'll also be an info channel with links to the schedule, team, etc.

Sadly, sometimes people DC. It's not fun for anyone and it can be very frustrating during time restricted tournaments. To keep things running, if a player DCs more than 3 times in a single match, the win will go to the other team. As a special exception, team leaders can decide to substitute a players with connection problems in the middle of the match, once per match.

The tourney will begin 19 September at 19:00 CEST with the group stage. As mentioned before, team leaders have to check in in Discord channel before 20:00 CEST. All group stage matches are to be finished by 00:00 CEST September 20th, which means everyone has 5 hours to finish all their 3 matches. Any teams that haven't finished their matches by 00:30 CEST will get a loss for every match they've not finished.
The knock-out stage will begin 20 September at 19:00 CEST and team leaders will have to check in once more. Again, all matches are to be finished by 00:00 CEST.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact the TOs (@Zeno, @Dragmire, @Burritoburger or @Demiose)

Thanks for signing up and good luck in advance, everyone ^^

Awesome banner made by Demiose, thanks again!

TEAMS SIGNED UP: 16/16 [CLOSED]

BACK UP TEAMS SIGNED UP
1/2

TEAM SPREADSHEET

Last edited:

Vylegrove

Inkling
NNID
Ezreal253
I feel that squads should be able to enter more than 1 team, just that players can only be on a single team

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
I'm excited to see pre-determined map and gametypes being used instead of picks and bans (obviously lol), it's just a shame I won't be able to play because I have SS in my name =/

Blast

Inactive
NNID
Blastystoise
No please Bo5, plenty of time if group stage is on Saturday and knockouts on Sunday.
If the maps and modes are pre-decided, bo5 in the group should definitely be manageable, especially with the 5 hour time scheme.
I feel that squads should be able to enter more than 1 team, just that players can only be on a single team
I understand it's not ideal to only have one team per squad, but we did this there would be more diversity in the roster. There's also the fact that this is a tourney with just 16 teams, so if squads were to have more than one team competing, that'd already be 1/8 of the competitors. Thanks for the feedback though.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
I understand it's not ideal to only have one team per squad, but we did this there would be more diversity in the roster. There's also the fact that this is a tourney with just 16 teams, so if squads were to have more than one team competing, that'd already be 1/8 of the competitors. Thanks for the feedback though.
If enough people sign up and you increase the size of the tournament, maybe consider squads being able to enter more than one team, but at only one sub per squad. That's only two more humans (10) then your current limit for a single team (8).

Blast

Inactive
NNID
Blastystoise
If enough people sign up and you increase the size of the tournament, maybe consider squads being able to enter more than one team, but at only one sub per squad. That's only two more humans (10) then your current limit for a single team (8).
If there's enough demand we'll definitely consider it, it's a pretty good idea. For now we're sticking with things as they, thanks for your feedback :3

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
Signed spades up but I'd definitely advise taking a little more time on the application form next time. It wasn't formatted as well as it could have been.

Symph

Full Squid
NNID
Symphonia46
This thread has now been hijacked by Squid Squad, all your base now belong to us.

Hope to see the other teams show up here, gotta build that competition.

Valkyria

Bottom Feeder
NNID
Valkyriah
Aww, Discord is a requirement? Is there any other way we can check in?

AlpacaJesus837

Full Squid
NNID
alpacajesus
Squidtastic Melody has signed up :P Good luck to everyone who participates :D Hopefully we can make a few good allies through this tourney :) See all of you there!

Blast

Inactive
NNID
Blastystoise
Thanks for the generally positive reactions and feedback so far, everyone! We'll see if Squid Squad can take it again with this kind of format too. I do admit this was my first time using Google Forms like this so it's not super polished, but it gets the job done for now ;;
Aww, Discord is a requirement? Is there any other way we can check in?

We'll be trying to exclusively use Discord for check ins and communication with the TOs during this tournament to see if that works. If you want to you can still set up matches if Skype, but please try to give Discord a chance too, it might work just as well or better than Skype. Thank you~

Last edited:

Njok

Bouncer
Signed up with the first 8 squids on our roster, but might have to swap one or two later when i hear back from everyone. Is that ok and how do i go about that?

Blast

Inactive
NNID
Blastystoise
Signed up with the first 8 squids on our roster, but might have to swap one or two later when i hear back from everyone. Is that ok and how do i go about that?
Thanks for signing up! If you want to change your team at all, please send me a PM on the forums and I'll change it on the spreadsheet (which will be made public once we have enough sign ups), but please do so at least 24 hours before the tournament starts, mkay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom