• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Calling all Competitive Squids! New Top 10 Splatoon Plays of the Month series in the works!

SomecallmeSarge

Inkling
NNID
TheSargentGamer
Hello everyone. I'm Sarge from Squids Next Door and The INKredibles. I also do Youtube on the side, as I'm a multi-game/multi-platform Youtuber. I'm here today because I want to start a new Top 10 Splatoon Plays of the Month series with clips submitted by you guys, the community.

I'm looking for mind-blowing competitive clips, like a cool killstreak, sneaky tactic, or even a never-before-seen tech in action. But how do you submit these clips, you ask? The only requirement is to have you clip captured with a capture card (Elgato, Avermedia, Hauppauge, etc.) This is for quality purposes as I upload Wii U content in 720p 60fps HD quality. Your clip doesn't have to be in 60fps however, it can be 30fps if your capture card doesn't support 60.

Here is how to submit after capturing your clip:
1. Upload your clip as Unlisted to Youtube (if you have a clip from your Twitch stream, make it a highlight and export it as Unlisted to Youtube) (EDIT: If you want to upload your clip to a filesharing service instead, you can)
2. Send an email to top10splatoon@gmail.com with the following info:
-Make the subject line your In-Game Name on Splatoon with your clip name (ex. SND|Sarge - [Your fancy title])
-Your Youtube clip link (EDIT: Or fileshare link)
-Include a short description about your clip (and if your clip is from a tournament match, specify the name of the tournament plus where your team was in brackets)
-If you have a clan/squad you're apart of, please specify. (Not required, but it will be mentioned on the user graphic for your clip)
-Specify your Squidboards and/or Twitter name (For Twitter, it's the @name)

EDIT: Clip Submissions are back open for January-February. Deadline for submitting should be in early March.

Last edited:

SomecallmeSarge

Inkling
NNID
TheSargentGamer
Multiple submissions are allowed. There's no time limit on clips either, as long as the clip isn't too long like a full match. If your clip is lengthy, I'll speed through it in editing, getting to the good stuff in the clip.

MintChipper

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TonyEH
Will this be ranked plays or plays in tournament matches? I'd prefer the latter because it can show competitive Splatoon is fun.

Will there be commentary or no commentary? I don't think this will do very well if it's just gameplay with weird montage music in the background,

SomecallmeSarge

Inkling
NNID
TheSargentGamer
Will this be ranked plays or plays in tournament matches? I'd prefer the latter because it can show competitive Splatoon is fun.

Will there be commentary or no commentary? I don't think this will do very well if it's just gameplay with weird montage music in the background,
It doesn't have to be a tournament match, it can be from Ranked. So both. And yes there will be commentary

Relados

Senior Squid
It doesn't have to be a tournament match, it can be from Ranked. So both. And yes there will be commentary
Limited to just Ranked, or are interesting Turf War clips allowed? I'm guessing no, because it's not considered competitive?

Most of my footage is Turf War, but I've got a few interesting Ranked moments recorded. I haven't played in any tournaments or serious competitive matches though.

SomecallmeSarge

Inkling
NNID
TheSargentGamer
Limited to just Ranked, or are interesting Turf War clips allowed? I'm guessing no, because it's not considered competitive?

Most of my footage is Turf War, but I've got a few interesting Ranked moments recorded. I haven't played in any tournaments or serious competitive matches though.
If it's interesting, then go ahead and submit it. I don't take submissions through squidboards however, so please email me it.

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
Probably a dumb remark but I have no idea on how to clip down a video without killing its quality. I'd love to share some but they're all bits from full videos.

SomecallmeSarge

Inkling
NNID
TheSargentGamer
Probably a dumb remark but I have no idea on how to clip down a video without killing its quality. I'd love to share some but they're all bits from full videos.
If you have a play from a full video on Youtube already, you just have to take that specific part and make it it's own video. Which you can do easily with Youtube's video editor. It doesn't kill quality at all, you'll just be choosing your part then cut out the rest of the video. Your quality will be the same as your original video (when Youtube fully processes it), it'll just be a shorter video. You can then send me that new video you created with the editor.

(Tip: When you're editing with the Youtube editor, ignore how the video looks in the preview window. It doesn't show the video in it's full quality)

Last edited:

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
If you have a play from a full video on Youtube already, you just have to take that specific part and make it it's own video. Which you can do easily with Youtube's video editor. It doesn't kill quality at all, you'll just be choosing your part then cut out the rest of the video. Your quality will be the same as your original video (when Youtube fully processes it), it'll just be a shorter video. You can then send me that new video you created with the editor.

(Tip: When you're editing with the Youtube editor, ignore how the video looks in the preview window. It doesn't show the video in it's full quality)
Thanks for the suggestion! I was actually trying to do it through the Youtube editor at first but it won't show up in the editor itself since the videos contain Third Party Content. I'm thinking I'll just reupload them and edit them before copyright claims are stuffed on or I'll try to find some other way around the block. The main reason why I was concerned about clipping affecting quality is because I've been through countless annoyances when it came to downloaded video editors, whether it was a drop in quality while rendering or something as simple as a watermark being forced on the clip.

Joy

Data Nerd
Premium
NNID
joythegreat
Why YouTube though? Can we send links via a filesharing site (dropbox, rapidshare, etc) instead to preserve the quality?

Aelo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Aelo_NN
Why YouTube though? Can we send links via a filesharing site (dropbox, rapidshare, etc) instead to preserve the quality?
This.
It would be a better idea to just send the Raw Footage through a filesharing service instead. Keep in mind that usually Capture Cards record AND compress the file. After that, uploading that to YouTube will compress it even more.

For quality purposes I would agree to use other options apart from YouTube. That way people can share their footage according to what suits better for them.
Just a friendly suggestion though.

SomecallmeSarge

Inkling
NNID
TheSargentGamer
I never thought about this when making the original post, thank you for bringing this up. I just use Youtube as a basis to look at the clip beforehand. But if you guys want to submit through filesharing, I'll allow it.

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
I will be submitting at least two clips to you by the end of this week Sarge. I just wanted to give you a small heads up, because I have multiple sessions to watch and dissect before I upload them for you, and I will be quite busy during the weekdays.

Most of the videos I will be sending to you are team wipes, but occasionally I will have sneaky tactics for you to enjoy as well. I do hope this delay does not cause any inconvenience to you or others.

Last edited:

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
I may be able to slide in a few more clips before January 2nd. Hopefully you enjoyed all the content I have sent you so far Sarge :)

SomecallmeSarge

Inkling
NNID
TheSargentGamer
The first installment of this series is now up!
I'll make another video to my subs on how they can submit. Once I do that, submissions will be open for January-Februrary. So stay tuned!

SomecallmeSarge

Inkling
NNID
TheSargentGamer
*Bump* If you have any cool clips you want to send for this series, send them my my way! Last day for submitting clips is March 6th

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom