• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Carbon Roller Deco: Analysis and Thoughts

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
At long last, the Carbon Roller Deco! Just a weapon I have been anxiously waiting for personally, since I am a Carbon Roller main, but I digress! The main weapon's stats are the same as the normal Carbon, but it's decorated with the trademark yellow arrows of Deco for a customary look. However, this set comes with Seekers as the sub weapon, and, the first and only new special weapon, Seeker Rush! That being a Bomb Rush that utilizes Seekers instead of the throwable grenades of the other Bomb Rushes, previously available only in Single Player in levels with that special's powerup. The weapon is designed for a more directly offensive style of play and is suited best for flat areas and chokepoints.

Shop Description: The Carbon Roller Deco is a Carbon Roller specially decorated by top designers. It can be hard inking a path quickly with a Roller, but Seekers and Bomb Rush can help you do just that! Now you can approach foes quickly and hit your roller in their face! Perfect for hit-and-run tactics!

Shop Cost: 7600

Sub Weapon: Seekers

Special Weapon: Seeker Rush

Note: To analyze the new special alone (which is a new weapon of sorts) go to this thread here: http://squidboards.com/threads/seek...eapon-predictions-thoughts-and-analysis.3118/ This thread is for discussion of the Carbon Roller Deco as a whole.

SO, with that all said and done, and enough of my gushing about this rare moment of a new special, please, leave your thoughts and analysis of the Carbon Roller Deco.

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
Of course they had to release this weapon on a Hammerhead/Skatepark TC rotation. It's hard to tell anything so far other than that Seeker Rush definitely does not work on those two maps.

To be fair, Seeker Rush DOES feel great for suppressing the enemy spawn, since the Seekers are slow and home in. Plus, seeing a wave of Seekers valiantly sailing toward the enemy is hilarious.

Interested in hearing what others who played on Port/Warehouse/Mall in private squads have to say, though. Those maps don't have many height disadvantages for the Carbon, and they have long sightlines, so the loss of Burst Bombs shouldn't feel as crippling outside of finishing off/chasing opponents and doing the bomb combo.

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Trolltendo would of course have the game mode be the worst one for Seekers. Still, it's clear the Deco simply isn't as versatile as the regular. I think I'm only really gonna use the Deco while Port Mackerel is in rotation, as otherwise it's overall inferior to the regular.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Y'know, I thought this would be a piece of s*** before it came out. I figured the lack of upward reach would cripple the Carbon Roller, and Seekers would just be useless on a weapon that can already ink paths quickly.
But I think I might've been wrong about it.
Seekers have a place on the Carbon Roller. They give it a horizontal reach it otherwise lacks, and allow it to threaten from a distance, which is nice. Following behind Seekers is also sometimes a decent tactic, since you can one-shot foes who jump your Seeker or otherwise dodge while still near it. Also, you can rain them down from a height advantage, which is important for this next part.
Seeker Rush is situational, but damn effective. It's good for spamming boats down a corridor, yes, but I feel it'll also be good for raining down boats from a higher position.
The Carbon Roller Deco isn't meant to approach vertical combat. At least, not from below. Decos should always seek the height advantage. From here, you can hit larger areas with your swings, and also you can drop Seekers from here, letting you drop them on people or harass areas you couldn't reach with just swings. Additionally, you can always just jump down if threatened (or if an enemy gets too close for Seeker-dropping).
The Carbon Roller Deco's loadout is a nice complement (not sure what the word I'm looking for is here) to the original's. Where the original was weakish but versatile with Burst Bombs, the Deco boasts fantastic horizontal reach and power at the cost of vertical reach and ink efficiency. Seeker Rush is also a nice counterpoint to the Inkzooka, trading speed, height and the ability to go over obstructions for the ability to hit foes below and near you, faster firing, no pushback on each shot, being more mobile while your Special is active, and being able to use the Carbon Roller while it's active (which has come in handy for me).
The Deco may not be as versatile as its non-decorated version, but it's still a good weapon in its own right.
At least, that's how I feel.

Also, since it's a part of the Deco's kit exclusively, I feel I should ask here; Where are any good locations for the Deco to use Seeker Rush? I feel that corridors and other horizontal areas without major obstructions that could block Seekers are an obvious pick, but I think (after some testing and a bit of discussion) that maybe high points might be a good place to rain boats down from with Seeker Rush too.
For map-specific things...
On Flounder, you can jump to the tarped raised area off the center (by the ramps up from the left of spawn) which makes a great location there, and the walls themselves (as well as the high parts of center) make good locations to boatspam as well.

Triggerfish is easier, since I can just stand at one end of a lane and spam boats down to the other, or get on top of the walls to spam from there.

Blackbelly's center tower might be a decent vantage point for boatspam as it is for the other Rushes, though maybe the walls above the half-pipes and corners up the walls on the right side of center from the spawn could be good spots as well.

Port Mackerel should be simple enough, since it's all corridors I can just stand at one end and fire down, moving between them as I please.

Hammerhead... I'm not sure about that, but you could be right. I'll have to test it for myself to see.

Arowana... Maybe the center area? The corridors leading to the center could also be good to boatspam down, and the square areas past those could also work.

Walleye has the center boxes, the box straight ahead from spawn, the mesh to the right of spawn, and is probably a good map for boatspam.

Saltspray has the crane, maybe, the sniper nests for raining down into the Zone, the walls off the nests for raining down into Mid and the areas near it, and... I dunno, that's all I can come up with right now.

Bluefin might be tricky, since the +ish-shaped things on each low platform screws up boatspams onto them unless you're standing on them, and then you're within firing range. I'll have to test there for myself.

Kelp could just be standing on the center platform and maybe the platforms into center in Splat Zones and Tower Control, I think. Or just standing a good distance away and boatspamming.

Urchin could have those overlooking areas on the sides (not the parts you can ink up the wall to get into them from, the one after that, though that part could work too). Not sure what else would work there, honestly.

Moray has the platforms just before the center (where Chargers generally go) and just above the Splat Zone (far to the right from spawn), and maybe others but I dunno.
Sure hope I didn't miss any in there.
Of course, that's mostly speculation, I could be completely wrong.

So what do you all think?

Scones

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shcones
Corridors and high ground is probably the best way to get splats with seeker rush, but this can also spread a large amount of ink. If you hold Y to strafe and plant seekers alongside each other you can cleanly paint a huge area. I used this to paint the low ground on flounder heights quickly.
This thing is going to be scary on Port where during a rush you can move to each of the three mid paths and plant a couple seekers down them.
The biggest problem I have seen with this load out so far is that it is much weaker to mid-long range weapons than the standard carbon roller. As a splattershot main it is a lot easier to dodge seekers than burst bombs or inkzooka shots.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
This thing is going to be scary on Port where during a rush you can move to each of the three mid paths and plant a couple seekers down them.
Yeah, I can't wait. Gonna be so much fun if we're right.

The biggest problem I have seen with this load out so far is that it is much weaker to mid-long range weapons than the standard carbon roller. As a splattershot main it is a lot easier to dodge seekers than burst bombs or inkzooka shots.
Yeah, but Seekers are meant to be used as a ranged attack, with the possibility of following behind it to attack enemies as they dodge it (though you can use it up close, like I mentioned). At least, I think so.

Scones

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shcones
Yeah, but Seekers are meant to be used as a ranged attack, with the possibility of following behind it to attack enemies as they dodge it (though you can use it up close, like I mentioned). At least, I think so.
Yea that's true. I guess by now I have just learned to immediately ink just behind a seeker whenever it is thrown at me. I learned to do it to avoid ambushes by aerosprays and the same tactic will work well against this roller. Seekers are definitely hard to avoid at very close range but in that case a roller flick is probably better. I suppose there might be a sweet spot where the seeker will probably hit but they are outside your flick 1shot range. Will need to do testing to verify that.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
After having tried it out on Arowana Mall and Hammerhead Bridge, I have to admit that it does a nice job of mopping the floor with inexperienced players who don't know how to deal with rollers and Seekers...but I still don't really like Seekers. I lost count of the number of times that the prohibitive ink cost of the Seeker got me in trouble, and I still find Seekers themselves to be rather unreliable. Also, there were numerous times on Arowana Mall when I really missed having the Burst Bombs and Inkzooka for dealing with snipers.

Overall, the Carbon Roller Deco seems rather situational. Sure, sending out swarms of Seekers can be fun, but I think I'll be sticking to the original when I feel like playing a Carbon Roller.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Yea that's true. I guess by now I have just learned to immediately ink just behind a seeker whenever it is thrown at me. I learned to do it to avoid ambushes by aerosprays and the same tactic will work well against this roller.
Yeah, but if I'm not swimming behind my Seeker, then I just made you waste time an ink on an enemy that isn't there. With Ninja Squid, this works pretty well, since you can't see where I am while I'm swimming so I could just as easily be going somewhere else as coming after you behind my boat, but I'm sure it could be done without Ninja.
Seekers are definitely hard to avoid at very close range but in that case a roller flick is probably better. I suppose there might be a sweet spot where the seeker will probably hit but they are outside your flick 1shot range. Will need to do testing to verify that.
Well, the Carbon Roller's flick range is tiny, so when I'm just outside that range, I toss a Seeker instead of flicking futilely.
But yeah, more testing is needed with this thing.

Lucarii

Inkling
NNID
Lucarii
Y'know, I thought this would be a piece of s*** before it came out. I figured the lack of upward reach would cripple the Carbon Roller, and Seekers would just be useless on a weapon that can already ink paths quickly.
But I think I might've been wrong about it.
Seekers have a place on the Carbon Roller. They give it a horizontal reach it otherwise lacks, and allow it to threaten from a distance, which is nice. Following behind Seekers is also sometimes a decent tactic, since you can one-shot foes who jump your Seeker or otherwise dodge while still near it. Also, you can rain them down from a height advantage, which is important for this next part.
Seeker Rush is situational, but damn effective. It's good for spamming boats down a corridor, yes, but I feel it'll also be good for raining down boats from a higher position.
The Carbon Roller Deco isn't meant to approach vertical combat. At least, not from below. Decos should always seek the height advantage. From here, you can hit larger areas with your swings, and also you can drop Seekers from here, letting you drop them on people or harass areas you couldn't reach with just swings. Additionally, you can always just jump down if threatened (or if an enemy gets too close for Seeker-dropping).
The Carbon Roller Deco's loadout is a nice complement (not sure what the word I'm looking for is here) to the original's. Where the original was weakish but versatile with Burst Bombs, the Deco boasts fantastic horizontal reach and power at the cost of vertical reach and ink efficiency. Seeker Rush is also a nice counterpoint to the Inkzooka, trading speed, height and the ability to go over obstructions for the ability to hit foes below and near you, faster firing, no pushback on each shot, being more mobile while your Special is active, and being able to use the Carbon Roller while it's active (which has come in handy for me).
The Deco may not be as versatile as its non-decorated version, but it's still a good weapon in its own right.
At least, that's how I feel.

Also, since it's a part of the Deco's kit exclusively, I feel I should ask here; Where are any good locations for the Deco to use Seeker Rush? I feel that corridors and other horizontal areas without major obstructions that could block Seekers are an obvious pick, but I think (after some testing and a bit of discussion) that maybe high points might be a good place to rain boats down from with Seeker Rush too.
For map-specific things...
On Flounder, you can jump to the tarped raised area off the center (by the ramps up from the left of spawn) which makes a great location there, and the walls themselves (as well as the high parts of center) make good locations to boatspam as well.

Triggerfish is easier, since I can just stand at one end of a lane and spam boats down to the other, or get on top of the walls to spam from there.

Blackbelly's center tower might be a decent vantage point for boatspam as it is for the other Rushes, though maybe the walls above the half-pipes and corners up the walls on the right side of center from the spawn could be good spots as well.

Port Mackerel should be simple enough, since it's all corridors I can just stand at one end and fire down, moving between them as I please.

Hammerhead... I'm not sure about that, but you could be right. I'll have to test it for myself to see.

Arowana... Maybe the center area? The corridors leading to the center could also be good to boatspam down, and the square areas past those could also work.

Walleye has the center boxes, the box straight ahead from spawn, the mesh to the right of spawn, and is probably a good map for boatspam.

Saltspray has the crane, maybe, the sniper nests for raining down into the Zone, the walls off the nests for raining down into Mid and the areas near it, and... I dunno, that's all I can come up with right now.

Bluefin might be tricky, since the +ish-shaped things on each low platform screws up boatspams onto them unless you're standing on them, and then you're within firing range. I'll have to test there for myself.

Kelp could just be standing on the center platform and maybe the platforms into center in Splat Zones and Tower Control, I think. Or just standing a good distance away and boatspamming.

Urchin could have those overlooking areas on the sides (not the parts you can ink up the wall to get into them from, the one after that, though that part could work too). Not sure what else would work there, honestly.

Moray has the platforms just before the center (where Chargers generally go) and just above the Splat Zone (far to the right from spawn), and maybe others but I dunno.
Sure hope I didn't miss any in there.
Of course, that's mostly speculation, I could be completely wrong.

So what do you all think?
After playing with the Deco for a while you're pretty much dead on with the speculation. The weapon definitely does good when you have the high ground or large, flat areas to work with, and is really good for spawncamping. I feel like it'll be an especially good pick in Splat Zones since the special is super efficient at covering turf, and will also be viable on some maps in Rainmaker. But that's just from playing with it for an hour or two, so I could be wrong. The special definitely feels really strong though, and the range has helped me score kills.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
After playing with the Deco for a while you're pretty much dead on with the speculation. The weapon definitely does good when you have the high ground or large, flat areas to work with, and is really good for spawncamping. I feel like it'll be an especially good pick in Splat Zones since the special is super efficient at covering turf, and will also be viable on some maps in Rainmaker. But that's just from playing with it for an hour or two, so I could be wrong. The special definitely feels really strong though, and the range has helped me score kills.
It'll be great for riding the Tower and defending it on some maps, specifically Walleye Warehouse and Kelp Dome.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
It takes really precise timing, but with the seeker bomb rush you can be on the bottom of one side of the hill(calling it a hill because talking about the tower in the center of the map in TC and thats a lot of tower confusion) in black belly skatepark on tower control mode, and toss them to ride up and fall off the other side of the hill, and land and splat people that are riding on the Tower when it goes by.

soujirou88

Inkster Jr.
NNID
soujirou88
as a roller main in general i suppose, i find this set to be rather pleasant to handle. with the exception of climbing walls, this is definitely the most mobile roller in the game(not counting brushes though the game sees them as rollers). i never use the seekers to kill anyone tbh, even the rush version of it. i just use them as a quick means to get around or frazzle the opponent a bit. for example, i would toss and follow a seeker just to get around, then suddenly a surprised opponent jumped over it. that poor soul got splatted instantly while s/he in the air, courtesy of the carbon roller. in short, this weapon is a blast to use if the use gets creative with it.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Finally got to try this weapon out last night, and as a Carbon Roller main, this will be interesting to analyze. The main weapon is enjoyable as ever, still lacking range and power with a thinner trail, but aquiring delicious speed, mobility, and slower ink consumption in return. Always a pleasure for me to use. Seekers were an excellent approach tactic, allowing me to not only get aftermath-trades with people but also pulling them out of their hiding places. And Seeker Rush is an incredibly fun special weapon I have found, used mostly for wiping the other team and killing but also a useful turfing tool as well. It was fun to use, especially on flatter maps, but I have to say that I shall stick with maining the normal Carbon Roller.

What can I say? I'm probably to used to it, but I sorely missed Burst Bombs when it came to climbing walls, or Inkzooka when it came to pulling out my wiping tool. I can definitely understand the playstyle of someone willing to main the Carbon Roller Deco, and believe me, it's a fun playstyle, but it's not for me. I'll stick with my current main (well, one of two) and work with my own playstyle to those who will pick this up.

Chiro

Inkster Jr.
This loadout can make a area safe. Dropping Seekers to the area will get everyone to flee xd, so i think it is well-suited for Zones and Rainmaker.

I don't like the weapon through, maybe it is because the loss for burst bombs for easier splats? But i think the deco would beat the regular version by a ton on flat maps like Walleye and Mackerel. And it is pretty hard to escape from a enemy. I do prefer stick with Regular, but will be using deco on mackerel.

(Apologies for bad english)

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
This loadout can make a area safe. Dropping Seekers to the area will get everyone to flee xd, so i think it is well-suited for Zones and Rainmaker.

I don't like the weapon through, maybe it is because the loss for burst bombs for easier splats? But i think the deco would beat the regular version by a ton on flat maps like Walleye and Mackerel. And it is pretty hard to escape from a enemy. I do prefer stick with Regular, but will be using deco on mackerel.

(Apologies for bad english)
Your English was fine, and your grammar excellent.

And I would have to say, this may be the more tactical of the Carbon Rollers, just because of the Seeker sub weapons themselves.

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
For maps that are mostly straight and flat from spawn to enemy spawn, Carbon Deco is pretty much the most effective rusher. Unlike Brushes, you pay your ink costs up front and get it all back by swimming in the ink while following behind a Seeker, so you won't be ink starved at the end. In general as long as I aim well and don't hit a wall with the Seeker, I can move around pretty fast while keeping my ink capacity high. Ink Recovery will probably be a really important perk, mainly to deal with the insane ink costs of Seekers and since you will be spending a lot of time swimming anyway.

When playing on Port Mackerel, I can get to the enemy side in 2 Seekers as long as I don't hit a wall along the way. I alternate between coming out at the end of the 2nd Seeker to ambush enemies, or letting it cruise and start capturing the alleys in mid. In Turf Wars, standing on the forklifts and throwing Seekers off the top is fun. Seeker Rush is also probably the best special for breaking out of a spawn lock, at least from the side balconies.

When playing on Walleye Warehouse, I can also pretty much rush to the enemy side in 2 well-aimed Seekers and pop out at the end with a full tank of ink. If enemies aren't keeping track of the mini map, they probably won't see me coming from that side if they're coming down the tarped ramps to mid, which can give me some opportunities to smash faces. I can't do much about the guy on top of the crate though.

This detail I'm about to mention isn't something I've had much opportunity to exploit, but assuming an enemy Charger or Splatling is reachable by Seeker, Seekers are actually pretty good at suppressing them. Chargers and Splatings need the player to stand up in order to charge/spin up their weapon, and Seekers will home in on enemies that are standing up. Even if the Charger/Splatling is hiding behind cover to pre-charge/pre-spin, as long as the path is completely even then Seekers can screw with them a bit.

Overall, I found the Carbon Deco to be lots of fun, but unless it can do something really neat, I don't intend to use it seriously in ranked, and I only want to use it on specific maps. Its gimmicks are really easy to counter for how costly it is.

1) Stand on a box. Congratulations you've now hard countered the Carbon Deco.

2) Tossing Seekers off from higher ground is fine but is very ink expensive, doesn't exert much pressure and works best if the Seeker can actually move a long distance.

3) Riding a Seeker in an attempt to ambush is negated by stray enemy fire and Chargers that pay attention. Hey look at this incredibly thin road you're drawing with your Seeker. Would be a shame if someone were to break it or cover it up easily. There can be only so many places you're hiding in if you're attempting that sort of ambush as well.

Lucarii

Inkling
NNID
Lucarii
For maps that are mostly straight and flat from spawn to enemy spawn, Carbon Deco is pretty much the most effective rusher. Unlike Brushes, you pay your ink costs up front and get it all back by swimming in the ink while following behind a Seeker, so you won't be ink starved at the end. In general as long as I aim well and don't hit a wall with the Seeker, I can move around pretty fast while keeping my ink capacity high. Ink Recovery will probably be a really important perk, mainly to deal with the insane ink costs of Seekers and since you will be spending a lot of time swimming anyway.

When playing on Port Mackerel, I can get to the enemy side in 2 Seekers as long as I don't hit a wall along the way. I alternate between coming out at the end of the 2nd Seeker to ambush enemies, or letting it cruise and start capturing the alleys in mid. In Turf Wars, standing on the forklifts and throwing Seekers off the top is fun. Seeker Rush is also probably the best special for breaking out of a spawn lock, at least from the side balconies.

When playing on Walleye Warehouse, I can also pretty much rush to the enemy side in 2 well-aimed Seekers and pop out at the end with a full tank of ink. If enemies aren't keeping track of the mini map, they probably won't see me coming from that side if they're coming down the tarped ramps to mid, which can give me some opportunities to smash faces. I can't do much about the guy on top of the crate though.

This detail I'm about to mention isn't something I've had much opportunity to exploit, but assuming an enemy Charger or Splatling is reachable by Seeker, Seekers are actually pretty good at suppressing them. Chargers and Splatings need the player to stand up in order to charge/spin up their weapon, and Seekers will home in on enemies that are standing up. Even if the Charger/Splatling is hiding behind cover to pre-charge/pre-spin, as long as the path is completely even then Seekers can screw with them a bit.

Overall, I found the Carbon Deco to be lots of fun, but unless it can do something really neat, I don't intend to use it seriously in ranked, and I only want to use it on specific maps. Its gimmicks are really easy to counter for how costly it is.

2) Tossing Seekers off from higher ground is fine but is very ink expensive, doesn't exert much pressure and works best if the Seeker can actually move a long distance.

3) Riding a Seeker in an attempt to ambush is negated by stray enemy fire and Chargers that pay attention. Hey look at this incredibly thin road you're drawing with your Seeker. Would be a shame if someone were to break it or cover it up easily. There can be only so many places you're hiding in if you're attempting that sort of ambush as well.
It definitely helps kill snipers, assuming you're on the same ground as them. It works really well on Moray Towers due to how the map works, but a lot of them it's a matter of reaching the sniper first. Which is often hard, due to lack of burst bombs and how the splash range works. It's usually more effective to camp enemy base and flank imo, especially on maps like Triggerfish. It's easy to understand why some people dislike it, since weapon itself gets rid of certain features the original had in favour of a more offensive and kill-oriented playstyle. (not to say it doesn't cover turf - the seekers are good at doing that, too.)

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Ink Recovery will probably be a really important perk, mainly to deal with the insane ink costs of Seekers and since you will be spending a lot of time swimming anyway.
Ink Saver (Sub) will be a big ability to stack on this weapon as well, especially when pushing into enemy fire when one doesn't have time to dive in one's ink, especially if it gets buffed in the next patch (which it probably will).

For this weapon, I'd probably personally recommend these abilities:

Unstackable: Stealth Jump, Comeback, Ninja Squid, Haunt, Recon

Stackable: Ink Refill Up, Ink Saver (Sub), Quick Super Jump, Swim Speed Up, Special Duration Up

Well, despite the fact that a Seeker's explosion on a wall doesn't cover too much area, the main weapon can ink walls better and reach farther up than one might think, espeically when jumping (Run Speed Up and Swim Speed Up help for momentum for a higher jump, but seriously no one uses Run Speed Ups on a Roller. Not every stage is filled with grates!). But it depends on the height advantage, because while I admit it is at a serious disadvantage when it comes to climbing walls and reaching very high up, it's not completely out of the loop for smaller height differences, at least not where the main weapon is concerned.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well, despite the fact that a Seeker's explosion on a wall doesn't cover too much area, the main weapon can ink walls better and reach farther up than one might think, espeically when jumping (Run Speed Up and Swim Speed Up help for momentum for a higher jump, but seriously no one uses Run Speed Ups on a Roller. Not every stage is filled with grates!). But it depends on the height advantage, because while I admit it is at a serious disadvantage when it comes to climbing walls and reaching very high up, it's not completely out of the loop for smaller height differences, at least not where the main weapon is concerned.
While I have not been able to fight this weapon much, I'd dare to say it's one of the deadliest choices for flat maps

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom