• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Cross-browser current and upcoming Turf War and Ranked maps (and game type) [English]

Casperr

Full Squid
I know there are various solutions to this problem already, such as Splatoon.ink and Splat Companion, but I personally didn't feel like any pre-existing solution had every single thing I wanted to see so I went and made my own:

Splatooniverse.com

"Splatooniverse shows the current and upcoming Splatoon map rotation in Turf War and Ranked, including game type, and displays perfectly on mobile and desktop devices. It uses your browser's timezone to show the time the maps change over for you"

The site actually uses Splatoon.ink's API available at splatoon.ink/schedule.json - I presume this works via scraping data from the Japanese official site that shows rotation after you log in, but this is a presumption only. Currently, it works fine during EU and NA Splatfests, but is untested by me during Japanese ones!

I'd really welcome any and all feedback - criticism or otherwise - because, at the end of the day, I want to make a site as useful as possible to as many people as possible. It should look and work great on all devices and all browsers, but obviously I can only test on the devices I have access to so please feel free to let me know any tech issues you see on your platform, even if you think it's small!

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
This looks pretty useful, though it doesn't seem to be taking my time zone into account. I'm in the US Eastern zone, so it should be saying that it's about 19:30 now and the maps change at 22:00, 2:00 and 6:00. Yet it says that it's around 5:30 and the maps change at 8:00, 12:00 and 16:00. I checked Splatoon.ink and it has the right times for my zone, so I don't know what the issue is. Still, I'm really liking that you added pictures of the maps and icons showing which ranked mode is on at the moment. Thanks for making this!

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
This looks pretty useful, though it doesn't seem to be taking my time zone into account. I'm in the US Eastern zone, so it should be saying that it's about 19:30 now and the maps change at 22:00, 2:00 and 6:00. Yet it says that it's around 5:30 and the maps change at 8:00, 12:00 and 16:00. I checked Splatoon.ink and it has the right times for my zone, so I don't know what the issue is. Still, I'm really liking that you added pictures of the maps and icons showing which ranked mode is on at the moment. Thanks for making this!
I have this same problem.

Also, how do you know what the upcoming maps will be?

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031

I believe the creator said it best:
The site actually uses Splatoon.ink's API available at splatoon.ink/schedule.json - I presume this works via scraping data from the Japanese official site that shows rotation after you log in, but this is a presumption only.
Since the official Japanese site shows what maps are coming up, the API simply grabs that data and translates it for the Western audience. That said, I don't believe it'll work during Japanese splatfests; I checked when Grasshoppers vs. Ants came up and it only showed the stages for that event.

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
I believe the creator said it best:

Since the official Japanese site shows what maps are coming up, the API simply grabs that data and translates it for the Western audience. That said, I don't believe it'll work during Japanese splatfests; I checked when Grasshoppers vs. Ants came up and it only showed the stages for that event.
Oh, forgot to read that... Oops!

Shig

Inkster Jr.
NNID
OkidoShigeru
This looks really cool, as other have said the only thing it really needs is localised time, otherwise it's pretty great.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
Looks really good, but as others have said the times are a bit wonky. Like right now the rotation is in the time frame 8-12, but the military time is weird. The 8 makes sense, but the 12 doesn't, as it's technically 2am, not 2pm which would be 14. However the time would still be wrong with the 8, as it would be 20 in military time instead of 8. Not sure if you could convert the times into 1-12 with AM/PM, but it would help a lot.

Sorry if I explained that wrong, basically it's incorrectly combining military time/non-military time. This is coming from EST if that helps.

Casperr

Full Squid
This looks really cool, as other have said the only thing it really needs is localised time, otherwise it's pretty great.

Thanks all for your feedback regarding timezone! This should now be fixed - I would really appreciate if you can confirm that for me! If anyone is interested as to why, I was trying to calculate timezone based off your browsers timezone vs my server timezone and the sums were correct... but my server timezone was set to France not UTC so it just threw everything off! I have tested by changing my PC timezone now and it seems to report correctly, but I would be very grateful if anyone can confirm :) thanks guys!

Cherry

Inkster Jr.
Awesome, thanks so much for this! I can't think of any criticism.

It's nice for me because I don't like downloading apps unless I absolutely need to.

Helio

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
monkey.esq
Wow awesome. It is beautiful!!
Knocked it out of the park.

Is there an API to show all ranked players and post on web? That would be awesome.

Xadus

Inkling Tactician
NNID
JainaSuila
That is awesome!
Thank you so much for putting this together.

I can assure you I will be using it quite often :P

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
Is there an API to show all ranked players and post on web? That would be awesome.
I'm trying to work on one, but the website doesn't currently facilitate this functionality. It only shows stats for your friends. Individuals would have to determine their ID (by asking their friends what's in the URL when they click their name) and submit that to my API to opt-in since there's no other way to discover these IDs except through your friends list. They'd also have to trigger updates manually because each update requires a separate request so it's impractical to do it automatically.

I think this is the next thing they need to do (after spectator mode, or in parallel) to enable competitive splatoon.

Currently, it works fine during EU and NA Splatfests, but is untested by me during Japanese ones!
I assume by "it works fine" you mean it shows the stages/modes for non-splatfest regions during other regions' splatfest? Or did you find a way to scrape splatfest stages?

Last edited:

Casperr

Full Squid
Wow awesome. It is beautiful!!
Knocked it out of the park.

I know of this official endpoint https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/splatoon-data.nintendo.net/stages_info.json
Which generates this page: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/agmj/stage/

Although the JSON is encoded and I don't know exactly what that page is showing - Presumably highest scorers on the maps during this rotation.

I'm trying to work on one, but the website doesn't currently facilitate this functionality. It only shows stats for your friends. Individuals would have to determine their ID (by asking their friends what's in the URL when they click their name) and submit that to my API to opt-in since there's no other way to discover these IDs except through your friends list. They'd also have to trigger updates manually because each update requires a separate request so it's impractical to do it automatically.

I think this is the next thing they need to do (after spectator mode, or in parallel) to enable competitive splatoon.

I assume by "it works fine" you mean it shows the stages/modes for non-splatfest regions during other regions' splatfest? Or did you find a way to scrape splatfest stages?
Your assumption is correct - it just shows the stages non-Splatfest regions are playing. As the data is (probably) being scraped from the Japanese site, it may show Japanese Splatfest maps whilst one is active and no regular maps, but I'll be on hand to check the API when that happens and we'll see. Hopefully, the Japanese site will be a success and Nintendo will create an English language or NA and EU version and then Splatoon.ink's creator can either do multiple feeds/combine the feeds or others scrape from them, etc

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
To add to the list of known endpoints...

https://splatoon.nintendo.net/friend_list/index.json (gives your currenlty-online friends' hashed IDs which can be used to look up some of their stats)
https://splatoon.nintendo.net/ranking/index.json (lists all friends who have played since sunday, along with their equips and a pointless metric based on game count and win % during that week)

Using the hashed IDs in the above two endpoints, we can scrape the following page for more info about individual players:
https://splatoon.nintendo.net/profile/<ID>
(omitting the ID gives your own stats)
I assume it won't prevent you from seeing profiles of people who aren't your friends? (here's someone's ID if anyone wants to confirm this: c574efe3714a54d78279d6deba3d623e )

Casperr

Full Squid
To add to the list of known endpoints...

https://splatoon.nintendo.net/friend_list/index.json (gives your currenlty-online friends' hashed IDs which can be used to look up some of their stats)
https://splatoon.nintendo.net/ranking/index.json (lists all friends who have played since sunday, along with their equips and a pointless metric based on game count and win % during that week)

Using the hashed IDs in the above two endpoints, we can scrape the following page for more info about individual players:
https://splatoon.nintendo.net/profile/<ID>
(omitting the ID gives your own stats)
I assume it won't prevent you from seeing profiles of people who aren't your friends? (here's someone's ID if anyone wants to confirm this: c574efe3714a54d78279d6deba3d623e )
I used that hashed ID in the URL and it actually just returned my own as if it was omitted, so unless that hashed ID happens to be mine, then it doesn't let you see people who aren't your friends! No messages either to say anything like "sorry, you can't view this profile". It was just as if I had gone straight to my own

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
I used that hashed ID in the URL and it actually just returned my own as if it was omitted, so unless that hashed ID happens to be mine, then it doesn't let you see people who aren't your friends! No messages either to say anything like "sorry, you can't view this profile". It was just as if I had gone straight to my own
Well there goes any hope of doing anything useful.

Nintendo pls

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom