• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Custom Dual Squelcher: Analysis and Thoughts

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Custom Dual Squelcher
wst_shot_quicklong01.png

Lv Unlocked in Shop:
-WIP-

Cost:

-WIP-

Shop Description:
-WIP-

Type:
Shooter

Stats:
Range:-WIP-
Damage: -WIP-
Fire Rate: -WIP-

Sub:
wsb_flag.png
Squid Beakon

Special:
wsp_biglaser.png
Killer Wail

Genreal Strategies:
-WIP-

Team Strategies:
-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:
-WIP-

Extras:
Filename:
wst_shot_quicklong01

Update: We are now accepting general strategies about this weapon. Please note I'll only add the strategy if I see video evidence or it is generally agreed upon in the thread.

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the Custom Dual Squelcher.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I'm really looking forward to this weapon. Dual squelcher is one of my favorites to use, and this one comes with the really good beakons as its sub and the killer wail(which I use a lot since I mostly use the .52 gal with the wall/wail)

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
This weapon is perfect for me.
It's got the second-longest range of all shooters (only losing to Jet Squelchers) and a pretty good fire rate, which makes up for its kinda low power per shot. Additionally, it has Squid Beakons as a sub weapon, which is great for getting recently-respawned teammates back in the fight quickly (preferably from a fairly out-of-the-way area, like the part above the Splat Zone on Saltspray). Finally, while it doesn't have the Kraken like the other weapons with Squid Beakons, it does have the sensible addition of the Killer Wail as its special, which is a good idea because the long range encourages staying a bit farther away from enemies, where you can easily set up a Killer Wail and fire it off quickly to disperse enemies for a bit (or snipe them as they leave their spawn point; spawncamping from across the map is fun, if not reliable).
Compared to the regular Dual Squelcher's loadout, the Custom is more focused on hanging back and supporting your teammates, with its superior range and good fire rate enabling more use of Squid Beakons and easier use of the Killer Wail, compared to the normal version's emphasis on mid-range combat, with Splat Bombs to score splats and force people out of hiding places (or just backward for a second or two) and the Echolocator to give you enemy locations and instantly refill your ink (other specials refill you too, but this and Bubbler are the only ones that let you immediately start shooting when you use it) in addition to being able to outrange most people with your shots and a decent fire rate to splat people fairly quickly with, at least that's how I see it.
Overall, I love this weapon, I think it's my favorite new weapon (out of pretty much everything released after launch, is what I mean).

m.m.

Inkling
I am really liking this in splatzone. It's not strong in direct conflict but it's a tremendous support weapon.

-when defending: only chargers are going to out-range you, so you can keep the enemy team from making direct approaches
-when attacking: you can use your high range and good rate of fire to paint the zone relatively safely
-beakons help to keep your team active
-wail threatens space and forces retreat

BluEyes

Senior Squid
I used to main the generic Dual squelcher, it is more of a support role suited for anchors in your team. It does not so great in close combat but its splat bombs allows aggression should its wielder support teammates in attack.

The Custom does not deviate much but it simply enhances the support role of its sibling. The squid beacon and killer wail require no necessity for forward rampages but instead involves more of reading the game to determine in which direction should the next wail be unleashed. Placing the beacon strategically could determine how fast reinforcement arrive at frontlines but ironically, the wielder will be "reduced" to only specials once a beacon stays intact for the entire game as it as a passive weapon which provides no damage at all.

The Custom will appeal to a distinct group of players who prefer to rule the battlefield with vision rather than brute force.

Calden

Inkling
Got to agree with the above. I've been using the above recently after giving it a try in support of a friend. ive found it to be a good ranged support weapon, but with a high enough rate of fire that I don't feel crippled up close. I have found though, that in teams that don't use my beacons, I've longed to switch back to the original for the flexibility bombs give.

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
I've recently been using the Custom dual Squelcher over the Splash-O-matic. While I know each map and style of play comes with different prefered weapons. I have welcomed this for its range, always falling short with the Splash. I tend to get the vantage points, holding back and supporting my team. The splash I would be very agressive and solo minded, trying to get behind the enemy. While I get less kills with this weapon, I find my play more meaningful to the cause. I really love the sub weapons and special, I was getting tired of the bombs for the splash, with no other options. I'll continue to play both.

Any advice on gear abilities for using the Custom Dual Squalcher. I'm far from getting what I want, but I want to stack mostly damage and special charger. agree?

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Any advice on gear abilities for using the Custom Dual Squalcher. I'm far from getting what I want, but I want to stack mostly damage and special charger. agree?
I, for one, consider Ink Saver (Main) very helpful to the long-range weapons since they go through ink a lot faster than shorter-ranged weapons. Ink recovery works as well since once you drop the Squid Beacon you need to refill your tank (and I, for one, don't use them as often enough to justify getting Ink Saver (Sub)). Damage only helps against people with a lot (3 Mains or more) Defense Ups, but it's nice to have somewhere anyways. Anything else should be up to preference

Morgan S. Court

Inkling
NNID
MorganSCourt
It's an excellent weapon, imo. I am a bit new however since I just got the game 2 weeks ago (already at rank B 30 as I type).

Long range provides for solid mobility, and the beacon is a great sub as it sets up a checkpoint. I usually don't like using subs like bombs given the ink guzzle and eh-reward when the actual gun is pretty good itself, so this was perfect for me. Killer wail is obviously a great choice for tower control and your already solid range helps take out foes from a decent distance, great for general support too and in rainmaker as well. It's a huge step up from the regular jet squelcher given this one can actually kill but I recommend motion controls for higher accuracy. The 4 shot kill takes out defenseless enemies just fine, just be careful with it.

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
Custom Dual Squelcher is pretty neat. I tend to use it when I'm squadding with players that will use Beakons and if we're on maps where the Beakons will be helpful, such as Camp Triggerfish or Moray Towers. As long as I maintain my spacing correctly, I can kill enemies or provide support fire without needing a sub, and Killer Wail is helpful for displacing snipers and denying narrow spaces.

But if I'm playing on maps where close combat can be forced or if I'm not playing with a coordinated team, I'm more likely to use the Sploosh-o-Matic instead. On maps such as Port Mackerel or Flounder Heights, fighting around corners or wall ambushes are more likely to happen, and the CDS loadout does not have an effective way to deal with close range combat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom