• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Custom Hydra Splatling: Analysis and Thoughts

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Well, this is it, squidkids. This is the last weapon to be released, the Custom Hydra Splatling! This is a customized version of the original, and akin to that variant, it has a very long charge time and slightly slower firerate to make up for its incredible firepower and the second-longest range in the game. The Custom version, however, takes a bit more of a passive approach with its loadout, featuring the Sprinklers for area anchoring and the Bubbler for invincibility. Perhaps one of the game's most defensive weapons, this is definitely for those who enjoy staying back and protecting the team's areas from any of those sneaky frontliners.

Shop Description: The Custom Hydra Splatling is a Splatling cannon packing all the destructive power of the original! The main weapon's barrage of ink combines with the Sprinkler to charge up the Bubbler in no time flat! But you might find yourself in a figurative pickle if the enemy gets too close, so be cautious with this set!

Shop Cost: 29,900

Sub Weapon: Sprinklers

Special Weapon: Bubbler

So, with those things said, please leave your thoughts on the Custom Hydra Splatling.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Yeah, I feel that you really need those Sprinklers to keep the enemy occupied so that your team can take them down. The only time I won with that weapon was when I actually remembered to use them at key points.

I'd say Ink Resistance Up is good for resisting enemy ink in case they get too close. Special Charge Up and Special Duration Up are also nice because Bubblers are pretty useful emergency shields in tight situations. Oh, and Ink Saver (Main) is great for keeping as much of your tank as possible.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Yeah, I feel that you really need those Sprinklers to keep the enemy occupied so that your team can take them down. The only time I won with that weapon was when I actually remembered to use them at key points.

I'd say Ink Resistance Up is good for resisting enemy ink in case they get too close. Special Charge Up and Special Duration Up are also nice because Bubblers are pretty useful emergency shields in tight situations. Oh, and Ink Saver (Main) is great for keeping as much of your tank as possible.
What about Special Saver? I guess with this weapon one doesn't want to be splatted so much so maybe it's not so useful.

Also, note to everyone, I will sadly not be participating in the Splatfest tomorrow. I'm visiting family and I was not permitted to bring my Wii U along. But go Team Silve-I mean Team Future!

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I've been eagerly awaiting this weapon. Hydra is a weapon I've wanted to love but could never find a groove with it. It didn't help that every time I went to try it, Dome was in the rotation. I've also never found much of a groove with sprinklers, so I figured the pairing of two things that I want to like but can't use well might do good things.

So this time, unlike with the poor Sloshing Machine Neo, they actually picked good maps for the introductory rotation: Skatepark, and Museum. Both showcase the Hydra and sprinklers pretty well with big open areas, tight choke points, and high ledges.

Two hours into trying it in TW, the bad news is I still just don't feel all that effective with a Hydra. The good news is that I did a lot better with it than I did the original. Neither one of them really has an optimal sub to me. Splat bombs are great on relatively mobile weapons, but don't buy quite enough getaway time on immobile weapons for my liking. Meanwhile sprinklers, on more mobile weapons tend to seem silly beyond a decoy since you can move and ink faster without them usually.

In this case, I certainly have moments where I wish I had splat bombs for pressuring, but the sprinklers seem genuinely effective. I've been staying far back where possible, not approaching the front unless it's already very secure. I'm staying even farther back than I tend to with eliter. Coupled with reduced range, that probably makes me less effective as a killer, however with this weapon I'm focusing squarely on turfing and pressuring, not killing. It's difficult to judge my effectiveness in the role. Most of the time I went around 2/0 or 3/0, #3 ink (TW), exluding the rounds with "that S+ player" that just kept nailing me again and again and I went 0/7, and excluding the round I went 13/0 against a particulary incompetent team. Generally only a few kills and no or few deaths. In that situation I did a LOT more killing with Sloshing Machine Neo. But the reason I've wanted to like this weapon so much is because it's so different. I wasn't killing much, but I kept undoing the enemy's progress, ,and kept them turning tail, unable to approache successfully, holding back, and often getting run over. This game's matchmaker makes it impossible or me to ever really evaluate how well I'm doing with the yoyo of opponent difficulties. But my takeaway is, even when I felt I did badly, such as the 4/4 rounds, I found I actually outperformed my team in k/d and was #2 or #3 in ink. This thing does NOT turf as well as everything about it makes it seem. It's not an aerospray by any measure. Even with sprinklers. Though I was using my sprinklers to keep the enemy busy rather than painting much bare ground. I did notice that I didn't get splatted often, and one round when we had two of these puppies on our team we managed to get spawncamped by halfway through in skatepark, and for the first time EVER that I've seen, we actually turned the spawncamp around, made a comeback, and won the match. That was pretty amazing. I also noticed one round on the museum when I felt fairly ineffective and barely holding back incursions into our base or repelling them once in, once I got splatted everything fell apart and they were all the way into our base for the rest of the match. Apparently my Custom Hydra was the only thing slowing them as much as they were slowed, and without it was enough for them to make a full push. So maybe I was more effective than it seemed at times.

I realize most people will use this to charge a never ending barrage of bubblers, but I found I used my bubbler all of 4 times in 2 hours. There were a few moments I forot it was there and SHOULD have used it, but most moments, holding back as I was, I did not need it and did not get splatted. It's too heavy to press forward so an aggressive bubbler is a no-no. It's a good panic button. But, ike the Sloshing Machine, I'm not sure the special really defines the gun, the main gun is weird enough to do that alone, but here, the sub really adds value unlike the Sloshing Machine. There aren't many sprinkler weapons, and fewer still where you ca really keep a distance and use the sprinklers as a non-stop nuissance to the enemy. Gien it's very supportive role, I cant see it not being valuable in any game mode. But it's also not for the aggressive or impatient. Staying back, harrassing, impeding and cancelling progress are its roles. Make the opponent pull their hair out at never getting anywhere, not to press attacks or directly hold the line. You have to rely on the team for that.

I like it, I want to use it in TW sometimes, but I don't feel skilled enough with it to take it to ranked. I don't have the level of control and confidence with it I'd like that I'm used to with Carbon, Eliter, Splatcharger/scope, splash-o, luna, blaster, rbpd, I'm not sure if I have more or less conotrol of this than Heavy, or even Zink. And yet it's great fun to use, and so far only the S+ players have really taken me to task while usin it, which is actually better than my eliter record to date.

(And, kudos, @HappyBear801 on getting the thread up and ready, and for all the great Analysis and Thoughts threads. It's sad to see this is the last one. They'll be missed! )

Last edited:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I've been eagerly awaiting this weapon. Hydra is a weapon I've wanted to love but could never find a groove with it. It didn't help that every time I went to try it, Dome was in the rotation. I've also never found much of a groove with sprinklers, so I figured the pairing of two things that I want to like but can't use well might do good things.

So this time, unlike with the poor Sloshing Machine Neo, they actually picked good maps for the introductory rotation: Skatepark, and Museum. Both showcase the Hydra and sprinklers pretty well with big open areas, tight choke points, and high ledges.

Two hours into trying it in TW, the bad news is I still just don't feel all that effective with a Hydra. The good news is that I did a lot better with it than I did the original. Neither one of them really has an optimal sub to me. Splat bombs are great on relatively mobile weapons, but don't buy quite enough getaway time on immobile weapons for my liking. Meanwhile sprinklers, on more mobile weapons tend to seem silly beyond a decoy since you can move and ink faster without them usually.

In this case, I certainly have moments where I wish I had splat bombs for pressuring, but the sprinklers seem genuinely effective. I've been staying far back where possible, not approaching the front unless it's already very secure. I'm staying even farther back than I tend to with eliter. Coupled with reduced range, that probably makes me less effective as a killer, however with this weapon I'm focusing squarely on turfing and pressuring, not killing. It's difficult to judge my effectiveness in the role. Most of the time I went around 2/0 or 3/0, #3 ink (TW), exluding the rounds with "that S+ player" that just kept nailing me again and again and I went 0/7, and excluding the round I went 13/0 against a particulary incompetent team. Generally only a few kills and no or few deaths. In that situation I did a LOT more killing with Sloshing Machine Neo. But the reason I've wanted to like this weapon so much is because it's so different. I wasn't killing much, but I kept undoing the enemy's progress, ,and kept them turning tail, unable to approache successfully, holding back, and often getting run over. This game's matchmaker makes it impossible or me to ever really evaluate how well I'm doing with the yoyo of opponent difficulties. But my takeaway is, even when I felt I did badly, such as the 4/4 rounds, I found I actually outperformed my team in k/d and was #2 or #3 in ink. This thing does NOT turf as well as everything about it makes it seem. It's not an aerospray by any measure. Even with sprinklers. Though I was using my sprinklers to keep the enemy busy rather than painting much bare ground. I did notice that I didn't get splatted often, and one round when we had two of these puppies on our team we managed to get spawncamped by halfway through in skatepark, and for the first time EVER that I've seen, we actually turned the spawncamp around, made a comeback, and won the match. That was pretty amazing. I also noticed one round on the museum when I felt fairly ineffective and barely holding back incursions into our base or repelling them once in, once I got splatted everything fell apart and they were all the way into our base for the rest of the match. Apparently my Custom Hydra was the only thing slowing them as much as they were slowed, and without it was enough for them to make a full push. So maybe I was more effective than it seemed at times.

I realize most people will use this to charge a never ending barrage of bubblers, but I found I used my bubbler all of 4 times in 2 hours. There were a few moments I forot it was there and SHOULD have used it, but most moments, holding back as I was, I did not need it and did not get splatted. It's too heavy to press forward so an aggressive bubbler is a no-no. It's a good panic button. But, ike the Sloshing Machine, I'm not sure the special really defines the gun, the main gun is weird enough to do that alone, but here, the sub really adds value unlike the Sloshing Machine. There aren't many sprinkler weapons, and fewer still where you ca really keep a distance and use the sprinklers as a non-stop nuissance to the enemy. Gien it's very supportive role, I cant see it not being valuable in any game mode. But it's also not for the aggressive or impatient. Staying back, harrassing, impeding and cancelling progress are its roles. Make the opponent pull their hair out at never getting anywhere, not to press attacks or directly hold the line. You have to rely on the team for that.

I like it, I want to use it in TW sometimes, but I don't feel skilled enough with it to take it to ranked. I don't have the level of control and confidence with it I'd like that I'm used to with Carbon, Eliter, Splatcharger/scope, splash-o, luna, blaster, rbpd, I'm not sure if I have more or less conotrol of this than Heavy, or even Zink. And yet it's great fun to use, and so far only the S+ players have really taken me to task while usin it, which is actually better than my eliter record to date.

(And, kudos, @HappyBear801 on getting the thread up and ready, and for all the great Analysis and Thoughts threads. It's sad to see this is the last one. They'll be missed! )
Thanks a bunch! I'll miss posting these every week, but it wasn't my intentional duty in the first place. XD Interesting that @WaifuRaccoonBL never got back on the job after I took over, for this was only ever meant as temporary. But, it stuck around until the end, seemingly, and I'm glad to have done it! After this, I'll probably continue analyzing to bring all the parts of the meta together and maybe posting some extra threads about things and such (including how to play hard weapons; I feel that it's sorely needed). Oh, and I will analyze this weapon properly when I come back on Sunday. Probably try out more than 3 matches with SMN too. ;)

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
Wow this weapons really surprised me.

I'm gonna be honest, when i saw the kit I thought it was bad. mainly because my thoughts were 'once the enemy gets close' then you have nothing. no sub to throw (granted you can throw sprinklers, but it won't distract the enemy from killing you if they're already in your face), and charging the weapon takes so long that your bubbler will end before you kill.

I was wrong, at least as far as calling the weapon bad. most sprinkler weapons i try to place the sprinkler in spots that'll benefit the team overall, but with this weapon you want to be stingy with the sprinkler. keep it near you so you're always ink your ink/have ink to retreat in. And bubbler helps with safely getting away too. Though, if they got in close and you popped your bubbler I highly recommend not going for the full charge, in fact it doesn't take much charge at all to kill.
And, as embarrassing as it is to say, like the above poster I too forgot about the bubbler, too often in fact. Lots of times where the enemy kraken'd or got in close and I didn't bubbler because I forgot about it. Any other weapon I'll notice/remember when its charged, but I think the reason that I forget about it on the custom hydra is because I'm so focused on defending where I'm at/supporting my teammates that it was just easy to not notice/pay attention to it. I can't even say whether it charges bubbler really fast or not that's how inattentive I was to my special.

This weapon is so good at defense, maybe one of the best at sitting somewhere and defending the area. A lot of people will say 'no eliter is' but each weapon's roles are different. The eliter/other chargers can defend an area, but they're mainly focused on picking people off. The hydra splatling is mostly focused on claiming a spot and not letting anyone pass that point. Like on Museum for example. I stayed on our side under our spinning platform(like where eliters are commonly found) and I wouldn't let anyone past (if I didn't die .3. ) like the spinning platform in the middle, oh I only played in turf war btw, is the way you get to the enemy's side to take over. Well with this weapon it wasn't hard at all for me to kill people that tried to jump across, and also claim the middle itself thanks to the custom hydra's great range.

While not recommended, you can really pressure/take out snipers with this too. especially since you can stay out of an eliters burst bomb range. But again not recommended because the really experienced snipers will get you first/or perhaps y'all trade. This weapon is more forgiving than chargers though, if you miss initially you still have a long fire rate to try and get them. I can't stress this enough though, DON'T CHASE PEOPLE! This weapon excels at taking out enemies/defending from afar and sprinklers/bubbler help immensely in repositioning yourself, but going after someone just lets them put you into a position where they have the advantage and that hurts this weapon a lot. The long charge time+bubblers short duration is not made for going after the enemy. Yes, it doesn't take much charge to kill someone, but if they get you into a bad position then there's really nothing you can do. Especially if they're saving their own special like bubbler/kraken.

I don't know a perfect build for this weapon, but currently I've been running :ability_inksavermain: main, :ability_runspeed: main and x3 :ability_runspeed: minis, and :ability_inkresistance:. (I'm still unlocking slots on my hat and shirt so I can't reroll them yet.)

:head_hdp000:
shirt: the green waistcoat. Run speed up main/forge brand.
:shoes_bot003:

It looks nice, though after playing with the weapon more I feel like special duration up (since my hat and shirt are both forge) isn't really recommended. almost 2 mains worth of special duration would help the bubbler last longer, but I think other abilities would be better. Bubbler on this weapon is mostly for a safe retreat with the occasional kill.
The run speed ups let me fire and retreat out of the enemies range better. Or let me charge behind a corner and then walk out and fire better(like against chargers and such) or even lets me fire and keep the enemy in my range.

Over all this weapon is exceedingly good at defending, though I haven't tried it out in ranked yet, so idk how it fairs when the enemy flanks. Bubbler will help though, at least to jump back to spawn and yea..

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
This was my preferred of the Hydra Splatlings when they were leaked just because I love Sprinklers. This is a very awkward set though. I only got to play 1 game but I'm just so used to the Heavy and Mini Splatlings. I'll try to use it more before getting an actual opinion on it, but I don't expect to use it more than the Heavy and Zink Mini.

Also Splatoon has taught me that a fire hydrant with a sticker slapped on it is more expensive than a giant solid gold paint roller. If this weapon isn't that good, it at least taught me that.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
This was my preferred of the Hydra Splatlings when they were leaked just because I love Sprinklers. This is a very awkward set though. I only got to play 1 game but I'm just so used to the Heavy and Mini Splatlings. I'll try to use it more before getting an actual opinion on it, but I don't expect to use it more than the Heavy and Zink Mini.

Also Splatoon has taught me that a fire hydrant with a sticker slapped on it is more expensive than a giant solid gold paint roller. If this weapon isn't that good, it at least taught me that.
A washing machine with a blue sticker is also more expensive than said solid gold paint roller.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
@Award

The Hydra on it's own is already a weapon with a steep learning curve thanks to long charge times and subpar inking capability. If your team has any competent player using a weapon meant for turfing (you know, those weapons) then you should never expect to be #1 or #2 in terms of turfing. If you do place top 2 it means those other squids aren't doing their jobs.

A good player hounding you down is doing exactly what he needs to do simply because if a Hydra is in the right spots on a map it can effectively deny a whole group of squids unless they coordinated together to take you down (Eg. Bubble spam).

About the Sloshing Machine Neo, that weapon could be renamed Killing Machine. It is fantastic if you've got the right team mates to back you up (mainly by inking turf for you to move about in better as well as flank). I'll talk more about it in the relevant thread...

About turnarounds happening in TW...it tends to happen if your team pushes too far into enemy territory with no solid way of holding that advantage for the remainder of time. It causes two things: you provide more turf for your enemy to ink over (aka big ammo reserves for them) and you end up having lesser turf to ink up specials which is dangerous if they have any specials like Inkzooka, Kraken and Bubbler.

Sprinklers IMO help to build up the special, act as decoys, potentially helps to tank a shot from shooters chasing you and on some maps you can place them in downright irritating spots for the enemy to deal with.

Bubbler is down to your creativity. Try rocking a fast super jump main, charge that special and jump in to pass it to a team mate who could do with it (and you) to push further into enemy territory.

About Zink and Heavy, those two are undoubtedly a lot easier to learn than the Hydra. I easily acclimatized to the Heavy Deco in 1-2 games after playing the Hydra for what seemed like weeks. Switching back to the Hydra from the Heavy Deco felt like torture TBH.

Oh and there's one thing I ought to point out about my TW experience...I feel that most people in TW have little experience using a Hydra. What this effectively means is that, they tend to underestimate your threat but at the same time...your team mates don't realize your weapon is utterly **** at turfing.

Sometimes your team mates might also think that you're a one squid army (Eg. My team mates left me to defend the 'throne room' of Saltspray Rig with vanilla Hydra all on my lonesome, you can guess how that turned out.
Anecdotal: I had one match where it was 2 E-Liters, 1 Hydra and myself on Sloshing Machine Neo on Saltspray. At one point when I respawned I saw the Hydra defending the top alone, I quickly SJed to him and we locked that **** down tight. It takes a Hydra to know a Hydra.

In short, expect people to not know how to support you when you're using a Hydra because the metagame hasn't reached that point yet.

ShinyTogetic

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Maikaru
Switch Friend Code
SW-3468-6485-0599
Abilities I've been using on this weapon are :ability_inkresistance::ability_runspeed::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialsaver:
sadly bomb range up doesn't work with :sprinkler:

this weapon seems better than the original to me due to bubbler

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
Stupid kit imo, the sprinkler would've been a better sub for the original. The bubbler is good to have but at the same time highly unneeded since most of the time you're hanging back being support.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Stupid kit imo, the sprinkler would've been a better sub for the original. The bubbler is good to have but at the same time highly unneeded since most of the time you're hanging back being support.
TBH, the only kit I consider 'stupid' right now is the E-Liter. Burst bombs on that weapon are really the stupidest thing, especially when you see weapons like H-3 and Hydra not having them.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
I tried this weapon today and I like it. I dabble in the vanilla hydra so I didn't do too bad. I like the sprinkler because this weapon doesn't really cover turf too well. I never really liked the bomb on the vanilla, I never had enough ink for it. The bubbler I have mixed feelings about. It's nice as a panic button, but if I'm playing well then I don't ever use it. I prefer the special of the vanilla, I use it as fast as I get it, versus almost never using it. The few times I used the bubbler it definitely saved me but I probably shouldn't have been in that situation anyway. Overall I would say I like it more than the original, especially at tw.

Award

The Hydra on it's own is already a weapon with a steep learning curve thanks to long charge times and subpar inking capability. If your team has any competent player using a weapon meant for turfing (you know, those weapons) then you should never expect to be #1 or #2 in terms of turfing. If you do place top 2 it means those other squids aren't doing their jobs.
That's the part I have the hardest time wrapping my brain around. Everything about the Hydra tells me it's king of the turfing weapons, so-so as a killer with it's inaccurate shots. My brain just doesn't register it right when it comes up not turfing a lot so I struggle in understanding it's role. Keep in mind I'm an eliter main so I'm used to low ink scores and the patience of a slow charge, bad ink use, high skill floor weapon. And I LOVE high skill floor weapons, they're my favorites, which is precisely why I want to love Hydra and have been waiting for this one. I just need to figure out exactly how to make it work It'd be a fun switchup between eliter and carbon for me. (I make a mean Aerospray, and luna, too, but I like playing the complicated stuff :)

A good player hounding you down is doing exactly what he needs to do simply because if a Hydra is in the right spots on a map it can effectively deny a whole group of squids unless they coordinated together to take you down (Eg. Bubble spam).
Yeah, well I have a matchmaker problem where it ALWAYS pairs me against S/S+ players above my skill level in TW. It's not them tracking me down because I'm a hydra, it's just what happens when I get outmatched no matter the weapon. So it makes it frustrating to ever evaluate my performance with any weapon combination since I toggle between being stomped by S+s and dominating C+'s. Getting a room of A- to A+ all the time would make weapon evaluation a lot more useful.

About turnarounds happening in TW...it tends to happen if your team pushes too far into enemy territory with no solid way of holding that advantage for the remainder of time. It causes two things: you provide more turf for your enemy to ink over (aka big ammo reserves for them) and you end up having lesser turf to ink up specials which is dangerous if they have any specials like Inkzooka, Kraken and Bubbler.
Yeah, you can have a funny read in the "Things I learned from my alt..." thread with the lengthy conversation between myself and ZombieAladdin. One of us is clearly in the inker pool with team mates that refuse to leave the already inked part of the map, and u-turn whenever they see enemies. The other (myself) is in the killer pool, where from the start of the match, the whole team rushes out to play Team Deathmatch, inks nothing, and gets splatted again and again as they try to establish a spawncamp. I usually stay behind just behind mid on defense and try to play cleanup on the mess that will inevitably come my way. Sometimes I can hold the line alone....sometimes I can't. When the opponents are S/S+ not a chance. :(

That's a FANTASTIC explanation of exactly what's happening though!

@Award

About the Sloshing Machine Neo, that weapon could be renamed Killing Machine. It is fantastic if you've got the right team mates to back you up (mainly by inking turf for you to move about in better as well as flank). I'll talk more about it in the relevant thread...

Sprinklers IMO help to build up the special, act as decoys, potentially helps to tank a shot from shooters chasing you and on some maps you can place them in downright irritating spots for the enemy to deal with.

Bubbler is down to your creativity. Try rocking a fast super jump main, charge that special and jump in to pass it to a team mate who could do with it (and you) to push further into enemy territory.

About Zink and Heavy, those two are undoubtedly a lot easier to learn than the Hydra. I easily acclimatized to the Heavy Deco in 1-2 games after playing the Hydra for what seemed like weeks. Switching back to the Hydra from the Heavy Deco felt like torture TBH.

Oh and there's one thing I ought to point out about my TW experience...I feel that most people in TW have little experience using a Hydra. What this effectively means is that, they tend to underestimate your threat but at the same time...your team mates don't realize your weapon is utterly **** at turfing.

Sometimes your team mates might also think that you're a one squid army (Eg. My team mates left me to defend the 'throne room' of Saltspray Rig with vanilla Hydra all on my lonesome, you can guess how that turned out.
Anecdotal: I had one match where it was 2 E-Liters, 1 Hydra and myself on Sloshing Machine Neo on Saltspray. At one point when I respawned I saw the Hydra defending the top alone, I quickly SJed to him and we locked that **** down tight. It takes a Hydra to know a Hydra.

In short, expect people to not know how to support you when you're using a Hydra because the metagame hasn't reached that point yet.

I tend to generally just dislike specials. I 'll use them, but I'm not the best at remembering to use them, preferring to focus on the main/sub. So I tend to use the sprinklers as harassment more than special chargers. Hydra's the first weapon I've been able to make them function better though.

That's an interesting tip on bubbler! I'll have to keep that in mind!

Interesting point on TW. like I said, even I really don't fully grasp that the flipping FIRE HYDRANT is not a great turfer. It makes so little sense. That said, I'm very, very accustomed to being left to defend the throne room alone (in fact it's rare that I'm not no matter the weapon) and I'm very used to team mates, especially in ranked who don't know what support is :D

Great response post!

Award

TBH, the only kit I consider 'stupid' right now is the E-Liter. Burst bombs on that weapon are really the stupidest thing, especially when you see weapons like H-3 and Hydra not having them.
I can get some great splats with bursts on eliter, but I've also become used to not having them when I use Custom. There is, however, one CRITICAL thing burst bombs are amazing for on eliter: Inking walls to gain instant access to perches. That helps its mobility rather massively. Not a stupid kit, just a specific use kit.

That said I'm growing fonder of the beacons on Custom these days...

Rael

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rael303
Killing a dude with Inkzooka that was trying to push me away in my bubble from far away was one of the most satisfying things I've ever experienced in this game. :)

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
That's the part I have the hardest time wrapping my brain around. Everything about the Hydra tells me it's king of the turfing weapons, so-so as a killer with it's inaccurate shots. My brain just doesn't register it right when it comes up not turfing a lot so I struggle in understanding it's role. Keep in mind I'm an eliter main so I'm used to low ink scores and the patience of a slow charge, bad ink use, high skill floor weapon. And I LOVE high skill floor weapons, they're my favorites, which is precisely why I want to love Hydra and have been waiting for this one. I just need to figure out exactly how to make it work It'd be a fun switchup between eliter and carbon for me. (I make a mean Aerospray, and luna, too, but I like playing the complicated stuff :)

Yeah, well I have a matchmaker problem where it ALWAYS pairs me against S/S+ players above my skill level in TW. It's not them tracking me down because I'm a hydra, it's just what happens when I get outmatched no matter the weapon. So it makes it frustrating to ever evaluate my performance with any weapon combination since I toggle between being stomped by S+s and dominating C+'s. Getting a room of A- to A+ all the time would make weapon evaluation a lot more useful.

Yeah, you can have a funny read in the "Things I learned from my alt..." thread with the lengthy conversation between myself and ZombieAladdin. One of us is clearly in the inker pool with team mates that refuse to leave the already inked part of the map, and u-turn whenever they see enemies. The other (myself) is in the killer pool, where from the start of the match, the whole team rushes out to play Team Deathmatch, inks nothing, and gets splatted again and again as they try to establish a spawncamp. I usually stay behind just behind mid on defense and try to play cleanup on the mess that will inevitably come my way. Sometimes I can hold the line alone....sometimes I can't. When the opponents are S/S+ not a chance. :(

That's a FANTASTIC explanation of exactly what's happening though!

I tend to generally just dislike specials. I 'll use them, but I'm not the best at remembering to use them, preferring to focus on the main/sub. So I tend to use the sprinklers as harassment more than special chargers. Hydra's the first weapon I've been able to make them function better though.

That's an interesting tip on bubbler! I'll have to keep that in mind!

Interesting point on TW. like I said, even I really don't fully grasp that the flipping FIRE HYDRANT is not a great turfer. It makes so little sense. That said, I'm very, very accustomed to being left to defend the throne room alone (in fact it's rare that I'm not no matter the weapon) and I'm very used to team mates, especially in ranked who don't know what support is :D

Great response post!
If you think about the fire hydrant, it's main purpose is to supply water for a firehose. Typically firehoses are about shooting water at the base of the fire from afar with a constant high pressure stream...so that's what the Hydra ended up like.

Not giving it amazing turfing ability is part of the balancing process so that the weapon doesn't end up becoming too strong. (I am guessing/hoping that they will buff it's turfing ability in future by a bit though)

I'd love to comment more on the E-Liter but I've only just recently started to learn it (and we'd be going way off topic here haha)

Hmm that's weird, I know S+ users tend to be really good but S ranks are sometimes rather average too. Although, if you are only using the harder weapons, then you'll generally always have a tough time with these people who are most likely experienced enough to deal with you.

Part of the challenge of playing with randoms in TW or even ranked is trying to communicate with them somehow. I think as more time passes, people will slowly understand what should be done as a game progresses. A big part of this will be when people finally have an idea of how every weapon works as well as how every map is like. (Eg. I started out as a roller and mained inkbrush for a while after so on a map like Flounder Heights, if I see those users on my team, I follow them and ink the walls for them first if I have the right weapon).

Hmm, one thing you can safely assume about S/S+ users, they have a good grasp of when to deploy their special. It's vital that you don't ignore your special regardless of you weapon, if anything, sometimes the special is what determines which variant of the weapon you should bring in to a map and its mode.

Side note: I assume the developers decided to err on the side of making newer weapons less powerful in general. In a competitive game, users are generally more peeved if their choice of play gets nerfed over time. So what the developers do is release newer weapons and gather feedback over a period of time they deem suitable before deciding how to buff and nerf accordingly.

Imagine if the Hydra was designed with top tier stats and upset the metagame and later the developers realize that they ought to nerf it. They then risk upsetting all the people who use it (which one surmise would be a lot, it's just how competitive games work, stronger weapons/characters always get picked by a larger number of people).

The other solution would be to try and buff every other weapon so that they stand a chance to compete with this top tier Hydra. The problem would be even greater because you suddenly have to attempt to buff another 72 weapons or so to compete, which as you can guess is a monumental task.

P.S. Sorry with how this reply turned out, I'm lazy to quote part by part :x

Last edited:

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
I can get some great splats with bursts on eliter, but I've also become used to not having them when I use Custom. There is, however, one CRITICAL thing burst bombs are amazing for on eliter: Inking walls to gain instant access to perches. That helps its mobility rather massively. Not a stupid kit, just a specific use kit.

That said I'm growing fonder of the beacons on Custom these days...
Yes they help a carbon roller do the same thing too. The thing is, an E-Liter actually rushed me (Custom Hydra with no special yet) down behind the wall in my territory in Kelp Dome by burst bombing his way in -_- It's what made me mention this. You sure as hell don't see any other charger type just barge their way in...

blaziken2000

Inkster Jr.
NNID
blaziken2000
What i don't understand is why you guys say it's inking capability is bad. I'm by no means a good hydra player but i do wish i was. But whenever i go into squads or play tw i use it as a sniper esque weapon that some times go forward to cover ink or kill someone. Whenever i used the standard hydra i was always able to cover up the ground nicely a few patches of nude ground here and there but i generally didn't see enemy ink because i could scare enemies off then recover what they covered. So i just don't really understand how with sprinklers this could be worse at covering ink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom