• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Custom Range Blaster: Analysis and Thoughts

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Same stats as the Range Blaster, more close combat loadout! The new Custom Range Blaster is the same as the normal version, simply customized with a decorative sticker and given a new kit of Splat Bombs and the Kraken. Definitely a powerhouse type.

Shop Description: The Custom Range Blaster is, as you might expect, a Range Blaster with a slick customized appearence. It has the same stats but comes with Splat Bombs to compensate for its lack of efficiency at close range. Coupled with the powerful Kraken, this set should prove popular for Blaster virtuosos!

Shop cost: 10,800

Sub Weapon: Splat Bombs

Special Weapon: Kraken

So, with all of that having been said, please leave your thoughts on the Custom Range Blaster.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I love it. SO
FREAKING
MUCH!
been struggling to get from A+-S for the past 2 weeks. I go into TC with this thing and only lost twice on the way to S. <3
It just feels so good, and splat bombs are amazing on it.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I actually got to play the new weapons tonight YAY, and I tried this one out second, actually. And boy is it not my playstyle. I could succeed with it, and made sure not to switch out until I won with it thrice, which happened within about 10 matches. I could make this weapon work, and I understand how to play it and where it fits in too. It's a powerhouse of the mid-ranged weapons, and what it lacks in speed and ink efficiency it makes up for in some decent reach and incredible power. Splat Bombs were very useful spacing tools and could probably get a lot of kills on the right stages (looking at you two, Saltspray and Triggerfish). The Kraken was also very useful; when I felt someone outranged me or had me suck in enemy imk, I would pull this out and kill as many team members as I could, and ink a decent amount at the same time. And, unlike the other weapon released tonight, this weapon isn't so vulnerable after the Kraken wears off. I could still get kills if it wore off and enemies were still there. So, I understand and tried out this playstyle, but it just doesn't work for me at all, mostly where the main weapon is concerned. It feels too slow and too vulnarable at close range. And I'd probably add a different bomb other than Splat Bombs in order to compensate for it. So in general, I understand how people can use and love this weapon, even pick it up, but personally, I'm sticking with my fast firing Rapid Blaster Deco to keep me satisfied. ;)

Last edited:

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
So anyone off the top of their head know of good build for this? :D

I'm thinking 1-2 swim speed up mains/1-2 sets of x3 swim speed up minis. Because that'd give a great boost to swim speed for both squid forms(reg & kraken). Maybe a sub saver in there, and then the rest probably towards charging up the kraken but idk if tenacity or special charge up would be better.

What do y'all think? ^w^

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
I play with ink res recovery and swim speed. I like this a lot better than the vanilla range blaster wall is nice, it just never felt right on the blaster.

Pitero

Inkling
I use blasters a lot, Custom the most, but since I've never really gotten into Range one (Rapid outclassed it for me) until today. Gave it a chance and well, it does feel great.

Sub/Special combo is superior to the vanilla one for me. Wall and Inkstrike just don't cover Range's weaknesses, while Kraken gives a great melee range coverage and I just love Splat Bomb harass ;)

Atm i run;
:head_eye007::ability_specialcharge:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:clothes_swt006::ability_coldblooded:|:ability_damage::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: (3x swim speed would be awesome, but oh well :))
:shoes_slo006::ability_specialcharge::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

:ability_swimspeed: for escaping close range combats, any amounts of :ability_inkrecovery: are welcome on this weapon (ink usage is high) and :ability_specialcharge: is obvious - Kraken provides invincibility, covers all melee problems Range Blaster has and it surprisingly loads pretty quickly with this weapon :)

Jeffrizzel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeffrizzel
I like this one. My favorite blaster so far. The sub and special work really well together. I'm running two damage up mains and four swim speed subs. The ink efficiency seems pretty good. I might run ink saver sub and cold blooded after splatfest. I do pretty well, but it's not as fun as the tri slosher, my main weapon.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I use blasters a lot, Custom the most, but since I've never really gotten into Range one (Rapid outclassed it for me) until today. Gave it a chance and well, it does feel great.

Sub/Special combo is superior to the vanilla one for me. Wall and Inkstrike just don't cover Range's weaknesses, while Kraken gives a great melee range coverage and I just love Splat Bomb harass ;)

Atm i run;
:head_eye007::ability_specialcharge:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:clothes_swt006::ability_coldblooded:|:ability_damage::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: (3x swim speed would be awesome, but oh well :))
:shoes_slo006::ability_specialcharge::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

:ability_swimspeed: for escaping close range combats, any amounts of :ability_inkrecovery: are welcome on this weapon (ink usage is high) and :ability_specialcharge: is obvious - Kraken provides invincibility, covers all melee problems Range Blaster has and it surprisingly loads pretty quickly with this weapon :)
How many points does Kraken take to charge? I wouldn't think Special Charge Up would be SUPER necessary here, but then again this isn't the best weapon for inking.

Personally the abilities I'd recommend would be:

Stackable:

Ink Refill Up
Swim Speed Up
Special Duration Up
Special Saver
Bomb Range Up
Ink Saver (Main)

Main Exclusive:

Stealth Jump
Ink Resistance Up
Tenacity
Last-Ditch Effort (Kraken can save a match, especially in ranked battles, and this can help charge one)

Rael

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rael303
The thing is that Blasters actually have hard time charging specials... Range Blaster even more because of crappy fire rate. I'd say Special Charge Up is one of the mainstay on this kind of weapon, and having Kraken ready is really, really important to Range Blaster.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
The thing is that Blasters actually have hard time charging specials... Range Blaster even more because of crappy fire rate. I'd say Special Charge Up is one of the mainstay on this kind of weapon, and having Kraken ready is really, really important to Range Blaster.
Definitely. The more offensive special by far, and this weapon seems to be all about approaching. Special Saver would be pretty essential in that case too.

Pitero

Inkling
Definitely. The more offensive special by far, and this weapon seems to be all about approaching. Special Saver would be pretty essential in that case too.
Special Saver is growing right now for a good reason - you can't avoid death in this game and specials really can change the whole match. If the situation is tough it can become more useful than Special Charge Up cause it saves quite a bit of the special bar actually. It comes handy mostly to weapons with slow fire rate (Such as .96s, Forge Pros and our Range Blaster).

This weapon though is a great force and I haven't noticed myself dying a lot most of the time. I'm in the process of making 2/3 main special saver set atm, though and I'll see how it goes on Custom :)

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Special Saver is growing right now for a good reason - you can't avoid death in this game and specials really can change the whole match. If the situation is tough it can become more useful than Special Charge Up cause it saves quite a bit of the special bar actually. It comes handy mostly to weapons with slow fire rate (Such as .96s, Forge Pros and our Range Blaster).

This weapon though is a great force and I haven't noticed myself dying a lot most of the time. I'm in the process of making 2/3 main special saver set atm, though and I'll see how it goes on Custom :)
Reply back when you try it out! It'll be interesting to see your strats!

Last edited:

Pitero

Inkling
I am initially thinking:
:ability_specialsaver::head_cap010::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:ability_coldblooded::clothes_tes003::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_specialcharge::shoes_slo006::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Exactly the set I've used with the exception of :clothes_tes003:, but it fits the slot really nicely tho :)

Instead went for double :ability_specialsaver:: one on the hat mentioned above and one on :ability_specialsaver::clothes_tly008::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge: (still working on that triple, but i dont savescum so I just rely on my luck) and it worked awesome - after dying I could rebuild my special really quickly, way quicker than I thought, bringing my even more support (Two :ability_specialsaver:s make your special bar drop only by 25% instead of 50%).

It's great that we have that Krak-on hat, as I really don't want to lose these 2 Swim Speed Ups - they're too important when avoiding close range combats and keeping enemies at a decent range.

The only thing that this set misses is :ability_inkrecovery:and I'm still thinking about it, but I think I'll keep 2x Special Saver for RM & TC and equip that :ability_coldblooded: presented above for SZ as I definetly need more ink there :)

vtroid5

Full Squid
NNID
vtroid5
Exactly the set I've used with the exception of :clothes_tes003:, but it fits the slot really nicely tho :)

Instead went for double :ability_specialsaver:: one on the hat mentioned above and one on :ability_specialsaver::clothes_tly008::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge: (still working on that triple, but i dont savescum so I just rely on my luck) and it worked awesome - after dying I could rebuild my special really quickly, way quicker than I thought, bringing my even more support (Two :ability_specialsaver:s make your special bar drop only by 25% instead of 50%).

It's great that we have that Krak-on hat, as I really don't want to lose these 2 Swim Speed Ups - they're too important when avoiding close range combats and keeping enemies at a decent range.

The only thing that this set misses is :ability_inkrecovery:and I'm still thinking about it, but I think I'll keep 2x Special Saver for RM & TC and equip that :ability_coldblooded: presented above for SZ as I definetly need more ink there :)
I think for RM & TC I'm more likely to go
:ability_inkrecovery::clothes_tes012::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:

I need my ink fast! :D

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
Very solid weapon that has competitive value when mastered imo, the rate of fire is a huge complaint I have with it though. It's super easy to get trapped and cornered if people are smart enough to push forward rather than retreat.

MaxYZ

Inkling
NNID
TheMaxYZ
I've used this gun quite a bit over the past few days, and so far, the only real problem I've had is when I get cornered, I don't have the space I need to shoot my attacker(s)....... But that's why it comes with a Kraken.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I've used this gun quite a bit over the past few days, and so far, the only real problem I've had is when I get cornered, I don't have the space I need to shoot my attacker(s)....... But that's why it comes with a Kraken.
Splat Bombs can help with that too, provided you have enough ink. Ink Saver (Sub) might not be a bad idea for this weapon come to think of it.

MaxYZ

Inkling
NNID
TheMaxYZ
Splat Bombs can help with that too, provided you have enough ink. Ink Saver (Sub) might not be a bad idea for this weapon come to think of it.
Probably not quite as useful as Special Saver or Special Charge Up, I can't think of any situation where you wouldn't want a ready Kraken.
Or maybe I need to implement more Splat Bombs into my gameplay, I don't really use them often enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom