• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Custom Splattershot Jr.: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Custom Splattershot Jr

wst_shot_first01.png

Unlocked in Shop:
Beat Boss 1 + Lv 2

Cost:

Shop Description:
"A new build of the splattershot Jr. Sheldon built it after being inspired by some odd fluid he found stuck on the blueprints. Throw disruptors at your opponents to slow them down."

Type:
Shooter

Stats:
Range: Low
Damage: Low
Fire Rate: High

Sub:
wsb_devilba.png
Disruptor

Special:

wsp_allmarking.png
Echolocater

Genreal Strategies:

-Wip-

Team Strategies:

-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:

-WIP-

Extras:
Filename:
wst_shot_first01

Update: We are now accepting general strategies about this weapon. Please note I'll only add the strategy if I see video evidence or it is generally agreed upon in the thread.

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the Custom Splattershot Jr.

Last edited:

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
I think this weapon set is pretty good at backdooring. Disruptor can help you win 1v1 on the side routes while Echolocator can tell you where the enemy is and by extension where their base is open to attack.

micahclay

Inkster Jr.
NNID
micahclay
I've been using this in Ranked Matches recently, and it works very well. Disruptor is incredibly useful to throw into crowded areas (like in the splat zones or around the tower). The echolocator can be very helpful too. I would say the main reason to use the custom over the normal Splattershot Jr. is that this loadout functions well as a support.

JfiveevifJ

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Leyrwithe
I just started using this weapon after playing around with everything from .96 Gal to Aerosprays - I was initially turned off by the non-offensive sub and special and never thought about it again.

I have since changed my mind. This weapon is like the equivalent to the halfback in soccer: a support role, something very few players play as it seems. It's very difficult to push into territory with it (lacking a damaging sub) but keeping territory is a completely different story. The disruptors nerf rollers and all-around prevent jumping/movement, allowing you to close the gap and get the splat.

The eco-locator is great for knowing where the enemy is and avoid direct confrontation (which you'll generally lose with this weapon) while you cover enemy turf with impunity, knowing you back is (relatively) safe.

If your opponent is sporting the Cold Blooded ability it'll hamper the effectiveness of this weapon and if your team can't capitalize on eco-locator then you're gonna have a bad time. It's not a weapon you can carry the team with.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I honestly find this weapon better than the regular. The fast fire rate and inkspread makes charging Echolocators fast, and with a few Special Charge Ups, you can fire them off relatively fast. Gives great support capabilites and allows you to sneak up on enemies. Disruptors are AMAZING when trying to attack, they prevent retreats, destroy rollers, and can completely shut down enemies with low ink.

Main weaknesses are Cold-Blodded and bad teammates, since you cant really carry teams with it.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
EDIT:Now I know what I must sound like when I go off about the H3 xD
He hits just about every talking point that relates to the gun... but he tries to solidify hat its more fact than his opinion by saying that its strengths are negligible(not that I would no anything about doing that ;;>_>).
The one line that stood out the most to me was

"you disrupted 20 times, but so what?"

(only 20? scrub) =] I've won sooooo many games doing just that!
In S/S+!
On top of that I'd hazard a guesstimation that 10% of those wins were games where I was goofing around and used ONLY disruptors.

I thinnk the problem is Rocket is looking at splatoon aaalllll wrong.
Shooting? Aiming? Splating???

Nanananana,

Wrong.

This beautiful weapon lets you run away from those scary squids.

C'mon! the whole kit just screams the "run to mommy's room and tell her where you saw the monster" role.
Just replace mommy with your charger/luna blaster and the monster with the enemy aerospray.

Jeeze, you guys are monsters. Going into a kids' game like splatoon and wanting to do nothing but kill.
Shame on you, this is a game about squids and ink and friends. <_>

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
I know right!

This weapon is not a weapon for try-hard squids who want to do everything themselves.
Does that make it unviable?

I don't think so.

Rocket makes a flawed reasoning, that I see very often in this game.
He forgets there are teammates.
Sure, in solo que you can't always depend on them, but I hope that in high level play people can call out the poor souls that are doomed.
Take Rocket's example of the Charger.
Rocket says that you can't fight the Charger you just disrupted.
True.

However, what is the Charger going to do?
Keep sniping with a soon to be empty tank?
Move around swiftly to dodge the sniper on your own team?
Better yet, what is a Suction Bomb going to do over a disrupter?
It can't kill an opponent that watches out.
It can force the opponent away, but the Disrupter does so too.

This gets even better with callouts.
With callouts, one can smack everybody with a Disruptor, giving your own team the advantage in EVERY ONE ON ONE on the field.
The KEYWORD IN A PUSH is ADVANTAGE.

And yes, this advantage is also when your TTK muh slaughtered teared up 20-1'd MVP on the field, but the Disruptor screws the balance of the neutral game (Taking Wall-Eye Zones, neutral means every team has their fifty percent of the zone behind the boxes) in every one on one.
Yes, these one-on-ones are not fought by you but LUCKILY, Splatoon is MORE than one on oneing everybody one the field it is about inking and creating a advantage.

And Disrupting 20 gives you that advantage consistently

Furthermore, there's the Echo.
And to put it blunt:

The Echo is a wall hack that the Custom Jr can have up 20% of the time.
20% of the time the Jr. and its team gains sight over everything the opponent does.
Now, the Jr is not the monster that goes tear the field up DUDE-style but he has THREE teammates that can.

However, the weapon does get outclassed, as the Zink Mini exists.
The Zink Mini is an amazing, if not one of the best main weapons to turf with, with a long range for its turf potential.
The difference between Zink's turfing and Jr's turfing is the range.
This range allows the Zink to poke through the neutral and start the advantage and then go on the defense by ****blockimg everybody with Disruptors.
Jr's style of turfing does not allow to break to the advantage.

The Zink Mini also has another type of advantage breaking device and a very powerful clutch.
Whereas the Jr has the consistent wall hack spam, the Zink Mini has the potential to swing momentum in its favor instantly and start mass pushes through Bubbler.
Jr pushes the momentum, Zink swings it and has the Jr's most powerful momentum-pusher in Disruptor on top of superior inking capabilities
This leaves the niche of the Custom Jr to be Echo, with Turfing and Disrupting are both covered extremely well with the Zink.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom