• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Dynamo Roller: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Dynamo Roller

Lv Unlocked in Shop:
Lv 15 + Boss 5

Cost:

Shop Description:
"Using the blueprints as a starting point, Sheldon rigged up a motor to the roller base. Cumbersome to use, but it delivers a powerful burst of ink when swung."

Type:
Roller

Stats:
Range: High
Painting Speed: Low
Handling: Low

Sub:
Sprinkler

Special:
Echolocator

Genreal Strategies:
-WIP-

Team Strategies:
-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:
-WIP-

Update: We are now accepting general strategies about this weapon. Please note I'll only add the strategy if I see video evidence or it is generally agreed upon in the thread.

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the Dynamo Roller.

Last edited:

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Probably the most defensively oriented of the rollers, the burst of ink you get from swinging is very powerful and it's range is not to be
sneezed at. From a prepared position, this can be very daunting to go up against unless your weapon has even more significant range.
Even if you can't actually land the spray, you can easily halt approaches with good positioning and aim.

The slowness of the swing, however, hampers its use in close quarters combat compared to other rollers. You simply can't ambush foes
all that well with it. Rolling over foes is still an option, but even that is slower than most.

Because of these weaknesses you're better off keeping a comfortable distance from your opponents, which may seem counterintuitive
for a roller, but it gives you the time you need to throw out powerful ink. Focus more on holding down key areas than trying to claim new
turf, since it rolls slower and being surprised with this weapon is often fatal. Thankfully, the echolocator helps in minimizing the chances of this
happening while also helping your team, and the sprinkler is always helpful in defence.

Duralumin

Inkling
NNID
Lumadurin
Love it.
I gotta learn to reflexively squid towards close-range jumping flicks. Seems like it'd be mighty effective.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Love it.
I gotta learn to reflexively squid towards close-range jumping flicks. Seems like it'd be mighty effective.
You mean to avoid the spray and then close in and splat? Couldn't the dynamo just transition to rolling if he sees you try this?

Duralumin

Inkling
NNID
Lumadurin
You mean to avoid the spray and then close in and splat? Couldn't the dynamo just transition to rolling if he sees you try this?
I mean to go under the flick. It's a game of chance, baby!
If he goes for another flick, I win. If he goes for a roll then it depends on how much he arced the shot and how much I closed the gap.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I've seen this online (the Gold one, anyway; maybe regular too, but the Gold stuck out more).
It was on Underpass, backed by an Inkbrush, another roller (the Krak-On, I think) and one of the Splattershot-type guns (I think the Pro, not sure though), flinging tidal waves of inky death every time I saw it.
I never made any inroads into the center because this and the Inkbrush kept mauling me.
It's quite effective if it isn't swarmed, as far as I can tell.
But just off the top of my head for semi-first-impression speculation, here goes;
Both are quite slow, both in flinging and rolling, but it's crazy strong.
The regular Dynamo has Sprinkler as its sub-weapon, which is good for covering turf (certainly not the Dynamo's strong suit), but not so much for combat, and the Echolocator special, which is nice for seeing ambushes or sneak attacks coming.
The Gold Dynamo has the Splat Bomb sub-weapon, which can be thrown quickly and might flush people out of hiding places, forcing them to into your tidal wave of doom (but it costs a lot of ink per throw), and the Inkstrike special, which is nice for claiming turf anywhere from anywhere and can force people out of areas (or splat them if they don't move).
So yeah, not for everyone (like me, I prefer moving around and getting places quickly), but a devastating weapon if it gets to do its thing (its thing being raining ink waves down on people, then mopping up their turf while they're gone).

Last edited:

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
It really needs to be said: if you want to really play the objective in modes like splat zones with a roller, as in really defending them, dynamo is your
best bet. Other rollers just don't have the range to be able to reliably repel any kind of assault without the element of surprise on their side
(they work better at interfering with the opposing team's efforts at moving than outright defence).

OmniXVII

Inkling
There are some clutch dynamo roller players out there for sure. I see a lot of japanese players jump right as they flick for extra range? It's pretty decent for sneak attacks, I think having ninja squid would also help use the weapon immensely.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
There are some clutch dynamo roller players out there for sure. I see a lot of japanese players jump right as they flick for extra range? It's pretty decent for sneak attacks, I think having ninja squid would also help use the weapon immensely.
Lots of weapons can get extra range by jumping, but the dynamo is unique in that it needs to jump AFTER starting the swing for it to work.
But it works magnificently once you have the timing down. Coupled with a vantage point, and you can get a range that other rollers can only dream about.

Surprising your foes with dynamo can work, but you can't roam and actively seek out and pursue targets like the other rollers. Instead anticipate their movements
and find the ideal spot and moment to rain ink on their heads. The echolocator is there for a reason.

I feel as if this roller works better in maps that are narrow and have few options for flanking. It is VERY hard to get past a prepared dynamo
in a hallway unless you have a long-ranged gun.

Chargers may be the bane of this weapon however. The slow speed also makes it hard to secure a good position
at the beginning of the match, but once you do you're golden.

Last edited:

Lag Chan

Inkster Jr.
Probably one of the least used weapons around and for good reason, it goes completely against everything that standard rollers are known for. Standard Rollers are all about being aggressive and being a driving force in the team, with the Dynamo Roller having a strong emphasis on defensive play and generally holding back to wait for the right moment to attack.

I've noticed you'll very rarely if ever get a kill with the roller itself, instead most kills tend to come from the Ink flick, which is pretty ridiculous in both range and damage. In certain maps and areas it's easy to get multikills with it.

By far the biggest issue is how easy it is to be overwhelmed. The weapon's only strong point is at mid range, the obvious lack of proper ranged options and slow movement make you Charger fodder and given the slow start up of the roller itself and how the ink flick arcs, you have pretty much no close range options. Best I've found is when using the Gold version is to toss a Splat Bomb at my feet and hope it'll either take them out before they get me or at the least splat them after they've splatted me.

Granted, the weapon is still a reliable point scorer. Sprinklers on the normal and both Splat Bombs and Inkstrikes on the Gold version can help keep the points coming and the fairly decent ink efficiency can keep you going for a fair amount of time. I've had cases where I've almost completely stayed on my team's side of the map in a defensive role (Fending off enemies sneaking past and clearing up inkstrikes) and still been able to get top score with some kills to boot.

Given how different it is, it also excels on different maps than standard rollers. Urchin Underpass is still a good map, as it is for all rollers, but it does a lot better on Arowana Mall than the standard rollers I've found. Some good roller maps like Saltspray Rig often leave it redundant, as the close quarters nature means you're better off just using a standard Roller. I can imagine it'll be pretty great on Kelp Dome thanks to the open spaces and the constant rush for inking, but time will tell.

By no means is the Dynamo Roller an easy weapon to use, nor would I even call it that good. Along with the Blaster it fulfils the Mighty Glacier weapon type that won't be seeing any popularity surges any time soon but it'll have a niche and will be absolutely devastating in the right hands.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Probably one of the least used weapons around and for good reason, it goes completely against everything that standard rollers are known for. Standard Rollers are all about being aggressive and being a driving force in the team, with the Dynamo Roller having a strong emphasis on defensive play and generally holding back to wait for the right moment to attack.

I've noticed you'll very rarely if ever get a kill with the roller itself, instead most kills tend to come from the Ink flick, which is pretty ridiculous in both range and damage. In certain maps and areas it's easy to get multikills with it.

By far the biggest issue is how easy it is to be overwhelmed. The weapon's only strong point is at mid range, the obvious lack of proper ranged options and slow movement make you Charger fodder and given the slow start up of the roller itself and how the ink flick arcs, you have pretty much no close range options. Best I've found is when using the Gold version is to toss a Splat Bomb at my feet and hope it'll either take them out before they get me or at the least splat them after they've splatted me.

Granted, the weapon is still a reliable point scorer. Sprinklers on the normal and both Splat Bombs and Inkstrikes on the Gold version can help keep the points coming and the fairly decent ink efficiency can keep you going for a fair amount of time. I've had cases where I've almost completely stayed on my team's side of the map in a defensive role (Fending off enemies sneaking past and clearing up inkstrikes) and still been able to get top score with some kills to boot.

Given how different it is, it also excels on different maps than standard rollers. Urchin Underpass is still a good map, as it is for all rollers, but it does a lot better on Arowana Mall than the standard rollers I've found. Some good roller maps like Saltspray Rig often leave it redundant, as the close quarters nature means you're better off just using a standard Roller. I can imagine it'll be pretty great on Kelp Dome thanks to the open spaces and the constant rush for inking, but time will tell.

By no means is the Dynamo Roller an easy weapon to use, nor would I even call it that good. Along with the Blaster it fulfils the Mighty Glacier weapon type that won't be seeing any popularity surges any time soon but it'll have a niche and will be absolutely devastating in the right hands.
Another big problem is that the slow speed means it has trouble getting itself in strong defensive positions at the start of a match and whenever it's forced off.
Still, once you do it'll be very hard to dodge or advance through the giant waves of ink you keep throwing out.

Protip: Start the swing then jump for added range.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
just reached A+ from only using this weapon in Ranked. I think you can infer my opinion. It's REALLY good in the right hands, and even I am the most terrified facing against fellow dynamos despite knowing the usual strats, because I know how dangerous this thing can be.

I'm interested in writing a tutorial/guide for it because I've got a bit of experience now and I'm tired of people talking dynamos down, but I can't post in the guides forum. What do I need to fulfill to be allowed to do that?

D

Deleted Member

I faced a Japanese player yesterday who was using the Dynamo Roller. He was EXTREMELY good. He was able to score like 1900 on Kelp Dome and have like a 10-0 K/D ratio. No one could even come near him without getting splatted thanks to the tidal wave of ink.

My thoughts on the Dynamo Roller is that its one of the hardest weapons to use correctly but can be extremely dangerous in the right hands.

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
This roller flings so far I swear you can legit use it instead of a charger and get better results since you ink huge chunks of level instead of a straight line.
I tried it on Arowana Mall's side sniping spot and had pretty good results.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
I faced a Japanese player yesterday who was using the Dynamo Roller. He was EXTREMELY good. He was able to score like 1900 on Kelp Dome and have like a 10-0 K/D ratio. No one could even come near him without getting splatted thanks to the tidal wave of ink.

My thoughts on the Dynamo Roller is that its one of the hardest weapons to use correctly but can be extremely dangerous in the right hands.
the thing is, that's not even the best you can do with the dynamo. Those scores are pretty much par of the course for a dynamo (at least for myself and most I've met), but you can do better (athough that high turf score was because kelp dome is pretty much a turf grind fest). Recently had a 21-0 KD (although because I was spawn camping in walleye warehouse and they tried really hard to get past).

ThEvilHasLanded

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ThEvilHasLanded
I really dislike all the rollers and this one is the worst of them all
None of them seem balanced in the risk vs reward stakes whereas the guns for the most part are
For example the
Zap '85 fires really fast and at a reasonable distance but rinses your ink really quickly
Similarly the aerosol MG and AG
The Chargers 1 shot kills but a really low fire rate and practically useless if you get suprised
The rollers (They all cover the ground really really fast)
the Splat-On is most easily countered and is the most balanced
The Krak-Oo Roller seems far to easy to get the (i think) invincible Kraken which seems to last for an age given the speed it can move at
The Dyanmo throws a tidal wave of ink which seems to be inescapable if you're in the middle of the radius and kills in one hit it seems to also throw ink at a similar range to most of the automatic guns. Needless to say it requires no effort or skill to use and has little risk associated with using it

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
This roller flings so far I swear you can legit use it instead of a charger and get better results since you ink huge chunks of level instead of a straight line.
I tried it on Arowana Mall's side sniping spot and had pretty good results.
But a charger still has little trouble picking you off since they don't have to worry so much about height advantage, and they for the most
part still FAR outrange your tidal wave. I really do think they are this weapon's biggest weakness

Still, it can definitely fend off multiple attackers more easily and keep an important area covered with it's spread.

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
I think I was actually able to reach the other prime sniping spot with Dynamo jumping? That might need some checking. Definitely can keep the middle inked up though.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
But a charger still has little trouble picking you off since they don't have to worry so much about height advantage, and they for the most
part still FAR outrange your tidal wave. I really do think they are this weapon's biggest weakness

Still, it can definitely fend off multiple attackers more easily and keep an important area covered with it's spread.
Honestly despite logical expectation, in my experience chargers are not really that problematic. it's pretty simple: I aggressively attack chargers before they get a chance to establish themselves. Obviously ninja squid helps me a lot, but the fact that you can reach most sniper nests from below with a single swing + jump combined with the fact you generally can't shoot people that are too close to your nest is very advantagous. I usually pick chargers apart as soon as I see their little laser tag. Obviously I need to adapt my playstyle if the other team has a charger though. It's something I need to be aware of, but that I can totally manage.

The ones I have way more trouble with are conventional weapons outranging me with good DPS and accuracy (squelchers, sometimes splattershot pros, especially gals) and blasters. Those I can have problema against if I'm not sneaky enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom