• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Game Lingo Thread

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
Splatoon is pretty basic at first sight, as we all know, but once the game gets more competitive and we're able to do our own matchmaking and such, the game will probably get pretty technical. I think we should start compiling a list of nicknames for equipment and concepts in the game. I'm thinking of things like:
  • In splatzones, the barrier that prevents you from bringing your timer down once you've lost and regained control.
  • Nicknames for some of the guns, especially the ones with similar names.
  • Locations on the maps for callouts.
I could start compiling a list if you guys would like, and if this gets big enough. I'll throw in some examples for now:

• Objectives:
    • Line of Ink Dividing Each Side: Front Line
    • Growing One's Special Meter: Farming
    • Splatzones: Zones
      • Meter to Win the Round: Win Time, Timer
      • Meter Preventing a Team from Lowering Their Meter: Chance Time, Buffer
    • Splatting:
      • Splatting All Players on the Opposing Team: Sweep, Ace
      • Sacrificing Oneself to Get a (Favorable) Splat on the Opposing Team: Trading
  • Maps
    • General:
      • Frendly Areas: Good _____
      • Enemy Areas: Bad _____ (meant to fit with the game calling each team "good guys" and "bad guys")
        • Friendly Spawn Zone: Good Spawn
        • Enemy Splat Zone, or the one closer to them on the map: Bad Zone
        • Map Specific Locations: _____ Feature
          • For the most part, I would call the specific locations by team based on which side it's easier to access from
    • Port Mackerel: Port
      • Parts Overlooking Splatzones: Good/Bad Nest
    • Blackbelly Skatepark:Skatepark
      • Tower in Center: Pillar, Tower, Cliff
      • Ledge Overlooking Centers on Edges of Map: Good/Bad Ledge
    • Arrowana Mall: Mall
      • Corridors on Far Edges of Center Leading to Cliff Overlooking Center: Good/Bad Alley
    • Saltspray Rig: Rig
      • Rotating Lift on Far Side of Map: Crane
      • Elevator in Center of Map: Good/Bad Lift
    • Urchin Underpass: Underpass
      • Cliffs Overlooking Center: Good/Bad Nest
      • Crannies in Center of Map: Good/Bad Cranny
      • Short Walk that Drops into Center of Map: Good/Bad Highway
    • Walleye Warehouse: Warehouse
      • Tight Corridors Leading to Far Sides of Map: Good/Bad Alley
  • Equipment:
    • Primary Weapons:
    • Subweapons:
      • Splatbomb: Frag, Nade
      • Suction Bomb: Sticky, Stick
      • Burst Bomb: Molly, Burst
      • Usage:
        • Jumping and Throwing for Extra Distance: Lobbing
        • Rolling Subweapons up Ramps: Bowling
    • Special Weapons:
      • Echolocator: Echo
      • Killer Wail: Wail
      • Bomb Rush: _____ Rush
      • Instrike: Nuke (but not really)
      • Usages:
        • Grouping Together to Use the Bubbler: Clumping, Grouping
  • Movement:
    • Rapidly Swimming, Jumping, Spraying, and Swimming: Splat Hopping, Splopping
    • Slowly Swimming to Avoid Being Seen: Lurking, Creeping
    • Swimming Behind a Teammate or Seeker's Path: Riding, Drafting
    • Being Stuck in the Opposing Team's Ink: Pinning/Being Pinned
I should also probably clean up the organization on this a bit, but I'm not sure how...

Last edited:

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
It's a rubberbanding mechanic, meant to give the losing team a boost. Just like Blue Shells in Mario Kart, which the player in last gets to punish the player in first with.

Alright, some others:

Phlogistinator (or Phlog) - Krak-On Roller (or specifically a bad player with one).

Scout - Inkbrush.

Uber - Bubble.

Nuke cap - Inkstriking the Splat Zone.

Unblockable - Killer Wail on a narrow passage with no escape.

Peekaboo - Hiding in ink to ambush players as they walk by.

Annoyance - Goddamn sprinklers.

Shielding - Using an Ink Wall to block enemy fire.

Choke mine - Placing a mine on a narrow choke point with no room to get around it.

Suicide bomb - Placing a mine while you're being attacked so that they at least go down with you.

Trade - Killing a player that kills you. 2:1 trade if you kill two while getting killed, and so on.

Riding - swimming behind a seeker or Inkbrush.

Pinned - stuck in enemy ink.

Farming - Running off to build Special meter.

Tower - Center of Blackbelly Skatepark.

Front/mid/rear perch, our side/their side - The three main high spots on Saltspray Rig, front being the narrow L shaped thing and rear being the one where you have to jump down to the middle and climb up to it.

Sniper heaven - That spot on Urchin Underpass. You know the one, the one that can't be climbed up and requires a long detour through their base to reach from behind.

Alley - side passages on Arowana Mall.

Pac-Man Fever - Trying to chase people on Port Mackerel but all you end up doing is running in circles.

Last edited:

ThisFungi

8-bit crazy!
Gold/Regular Dynamo Roller = Boney Roller

Reason: See "Shoutbox" tab ;)

PixL

Inkster Jr.
NNID
PixLPaintBrush24
"In splatzones, the barrier that prevents you from bringing your timer down once you've lost and regained control." Chance Time

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
"In splatzones, the barrier that prevents you from bringing your timer down once you've lost and regained control." Chance Time
I can not not think about Mario Party when I read this term

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Let us go with one obvious one from other shooters:

Time to Kill = TTK

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
I've outlined two pragmatic terms already.
The Line of Contention (aka The Line) - The uncontrolled part of the map where most of the conflict takes place.
The Final Point - The point on the map where you want to push the line towards to win, but no further. It is defined by the most defensible point on the map where your team controls enough turf to win.

I took these from my guide on Turf War basics.
http://squidboards.com/guides/turf-war-basics-and-line-theory.42/

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
I've outlined two pragmatic terms already.
The Line of Contention (aka The Line) - The uncontrolled part of the map where most of the conflict takes place.
The Final Point - The point on the map where you want to push the line towards to win, but no further. It is defined by the most defensible point on the map where your team controls enough turf to win.

I took these from my guide on Turf War basics.
http://squidboards.com/guides/turf-war-basics-and-line-theory.42/
I like your terms as ideas, but the words that you've given to them just don't sound attractive or suave. I'm sure there are other ways to convey the same idea without sounding so technical about it. For the final point, maybe the no press line? In sports like basketball, they use the word press for pressure, and there's a rule about not applying pressure when possession changes. Even no press line sounds kind of long, though, to be saying in match.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Front lines is the simplest way to put it.

halpenstance

Inkling
Splat hopping, or splopping. That made me laugh!

From my small time playing I've used these terms:
Peekaboo. Just means to hide in the ink and wait to pop up and kill the first person you see.
Zoning. This is what I call it when you don't really have much map left to ink, so you sit and 'zone out' your opponent from taking more ground. This is, in fact, the while point of splat zones.
Glug/Splerg/Gergle: Just a silly thing to call what the chargers do when they tap the shoot button at close range.
Wall-Jump: This includes the technique of tapping the jump button to climb walls faster, and get that important extra height to get on the top.
Runaway: Usually a roller, it means someone who has broken away from the main firefight, and is now running free through your base.

There are some things I would live to get names for, like:
When you go from start, paint the ground nonstop, until you get your special, which you immediately use.
Also, when you save your inkstrike until the very end of the game, to paint after the timer has stopped.

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
InkLag: A form of latency issue where you see enemies and teammates shooting ink, as well as the ink splat animation forming from your weapon, but no visible ink is being placed. (You are also unable to hurt enemies, and are able to be killed during this)

^ this happens to me alot, so I had to make a term for it.

Sheikashii

Senior Squid
NNID
OreoCookieJAF
Splat hopping, or splopping. That made me laugh!

From my small time playing I've used these terms:
Peekaboo. Just means to hide in the ink and wait to pop up and kill the first person you see.
Zoning. This is what I call it when you don't really have much map left to ink, so you sit and 'zone out' your opponent from taking more ground. This is, in fact, the while point of splat zones.
Glug/Splerg/Gergle: Just a silly thing to call what the chargers do when they tap the shoot button at close range.
Wall-Jump: This includes the technique of tapping the jump button to climb walls faster, and get that important extra height to get on the top.
Runaway: Usually a roller, it means someone who has broken away from the main firefight, and is now running free through your base.

There are some things I would live to get names for, like:
When you go from start, paint the ground nonstop, until you get your special, which you immediately use.
Also, when you save your inkstrike until the very end of the game, to paint after the timer has stopped.
I have been just refering to the ink strike thing as ashing. like ashes that hit the ground after all the chaos is over

Ametrine

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ferrethugger98
Inkscaping: The act of placing out an inkmine, then swimming away from the enemy in your own ink in hopes of baiting them into walking into the mine.
Sanicing: The act of using an inkbrush to cut through enemy territory in hopes of making the enemy try to catch up to you, allowing team mates to ink enemy territory in peace.
Leeroy Jenkinsing (can be shortened to LJing): The act of using a bomb rush in enemy territory with little to no ways to defend yourself, your only objective being to spread around as many bombs as possible, especially in splat zones.
Blood Hound: A player with the bomb sniffer ability.

ProjectQ

Inkling
NNID
ianwit8
I often call laggy Japanese rollers that kill you when 10 inkling speces away because of lag, "Sanics." I sometimes scream, Sanic speed! or, "rolling around at the speed of sound!"

Sometimes it's ok just to call it what the game calls it.

doop

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Elias56
what is the point of this, don't you want the lingo to evolve naturally, as a whole i feel like this community should stop trying to apply smash logic to splatoon. if we don't stop the game will never develop

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom