• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Heavy Splattling Deco: Analysis and Thoughts

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Just saying, this may just be the most fabulous weapon in the game, but that is beside the point of this thread. The Heavy Splattling Deco is a decorated customized variant of the original Heavy Splattling, the standard of the Splattling class, with an all new loadout (yes, as of now, we have not seen this combination of sub and special weapon yet), being Point Sensors to pinpoint targets and the Kraken to ensure that they don't escape death. A much more directly offensive setup in contrast to the mixture of direct and indirect defense of the normal variant.

Shop Description: The Heavy Splattling Deco is a Heavy Splattling that's been jazzed up a bit! With the Point Sensor and Kraken, your enemies will fall before your slow but unstoppable advance!

Shop Cost: 9,200

Sub Weapon: Point Sensor

Special Weapon: Kraken

So, with those things having been said, please leave your thoughts and analysis on the Heavy Splattling Deco.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
(also with note, I will not list recommended abilities for a weapon until I try it, which in the case of this time, will not be for a couple days).

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
So far it's pretty good, just as much as the regular version. The Point Sensors and Kraken are a good combo to keep tabs on enemies and then rush them down once their defenses have been lowered. And you can't go wrong with that range, though I'm still going to wait for the Hydra to come out to see if that reaches further.

Anyway, a solid weapon set for inking and taking down foes!

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
So far it's pretty good, just as much as the regular version. The Point Sensors and Kraken are a good combo to keep tabs on enemies and then rush them down once their defenses have been lowered. And you can't go wrong with that range, though I'm still going to wait for the Hydra to come out to see if that reaches further.

Anyway, a solid weapon set for inking and taking down foes!
The Hydra is longer ranged, at least according to Nikki's data.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
It's not bad, but the whole time I had it, I yearned for the splash wall, especially since Port Mackerel is one of the maps in the rotation. Heavy Splatling and splash walls are a killer combo on that map. The point sensor is nice, but it never felt like a good complementary sub weapon. A disruptor would be a better fit in my opinion. The kraken got me a lot of kills, but running out your special in the middle of enemy ink with a splatling is a very bad situation.

Overall, not bad, but I prefer the original, even if I vastly prefer the kraken over inkstrikes.

AspireArt

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Boponpa
The Hydra is longer ranged, at least according to Nikki's data.
A good tip for Krakening is to super jump before your time is up. Going back to the base or another person is a lot better than dying in the middle of enemy turf.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
It's not bad, but the whole time I had it, I yearned for the splash wall, especially since Port Mackerel is one of the maps in the rotation. Heavy Splatling and splash walls are a killer combo on that map. The point sensor is nice, but it never felt like a good complementary sub weapon. A disruptor would be a better fit in my opinion. The kraken got me a lot of kills, but running out your special in the middle of enemy ink with a splatling is a very bad situation.

Overall, not bad, but I prefer the original, even if I vastly prefer the kraken over inkstrikes.
The Zink Mini Splattling will come with Disruptors (as well as the Bubbler) so you're in luck if you're looking for a Splattling with those. I have not tried this weapon myself yet, but I've been seeing people use Point Sensors on this weapon to alert them to a flank, because since this weapon is not very mobile/vulnerable at back, most kills tend to come from flanks. Defense Up would also be a good thing to prevent death in those situations.

ShinyTogetic

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Maikaru
Switch Friend Code
SW-3468-6485-0599
Honestly I feel this weapon is tons better than it's regular counterpart (because I'm not good with weapons with splash wall)

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
So, after using it, I've gotta say, I'm sticking to my guns. I still believe the Vanilla Heavy Splatling just works better. Splash Walls are absolutely amazing for the Heavy Splatling, and losing those REALLY hurts. Point Sensors are okay, they're not atrocious, they just don't really complement the Splatling itself. Kraken is always an amazing special, and I'm REALLY upset they didn't give the Vanilla Splatling the .96 Gal Deco treatment. All in all it's still a very usable weapon. The lack of the Splash Wall is EXTREMELY hard to look past though. Sticking to the Vanilla Splatling until the Hydra comes out.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
I like the original heavy splattling better. Like a few have aleady said on here, losing that splash wall for the point sensor really hurt it. Even though the Kraken is nice, I still prefer the inkstrike for it as the splattling is more of a defensive weapon than offensive IMO.

ultra777

Full Squid
NNID
crazydragon1000
I for one love this weapon more than the original. You trade the best sub in the game for one of the best specials the game. I always thought Inkstrike was lackluster in ranked mode. Point sensor is an ok sub. Your a bit more offensive with the deco since you have point sensors and kraken instead of the other set. Just make sure to flee when your Kraken finishes since you'll become a sitting duck.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Honestly, it's really hard to give up that Splash Wall. Without that "safety net" you can use to charge up and get the kill, I feel very vulnerable. And the Deco has the Kraken, which does not work well at all with the Heavy. The second you get out of Kraken mode, you are highly vulnerable due to having to charge before firing. So I'll just stick to the vanilla Splatling.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
Honestly, it's really hard to give up that Splash Wall. Without that "safety net" you can use to charge up and get the kill, I feel very vulnerable. And the Deco has the Kraken, which does not work well at all with the Heavy. The second you get out of Kraken mode, you are highly vulnerable due to having to charge before firing. So I'll just stick to the vanilla Splatling.
Might I ask why many of you guys call the original of a weapon the "vanilla" version? just curious...

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Might I ask why many of you guys call the original of a weapon the "vanilla" version? just curious...
When we say Vanilla, we're just referring to the original. It's used to describe something that is bland or has no new features. It's a term usually used in other ways, but I suppose it just caught on here.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
When we say Vanilla, we're just referring to the original. It's used to describe something that is bland or has no new features. It's a term usually used in other ways, but I suppose it just caught on here.
Ah I see now. Thanks.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
To get away, you can do quick bursts of charge to escape anyone trying to rush you down.

Zolda

Full Squid
I haven't been too impressed with this one so far. Yes Kraken is good, but neither it nor the point sensor really fit the Heavy Splatling playstyle I don't think. Optimally you'll be at a pretty significant distance from your opponent, so unless you invest in bomb range up it can be difficult to actually tag anyone with the point sensor. As for Kraken, It's harder to use it offensively with the Heavy Splatling than with other weapons that have it, again because of the range issue. You have to keep yourself so far from opponents that you have to try to sneak closer to them first before activating it, otherwise you waste precious Kraken time just closing the distance between yourself and the enemy. That being said, it can make a great defensive tool to fend off anyone who gets too close to you.

Overall I just don't think this kit compliments the weapon well. It's a more offensive kit attached to an optimally defensive weapon, and while that can make for some interesting play, I think the vanilla version just has a kit that suits it better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom