• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Inkbrush Nouveau: Analysis and Thoughts

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ink Brush Nouveau
wst_roller_brushmini01.png

Lv Unlocked in Shop:
-WIP-

Cost:
-WIP-

Shop Description:
-WIP-

Type:
Roller

Stats:
Range: Low
Painting Speed: Max
Handling: Max

Sub:
wsb_timertrap.png
Ink Mine

Special:
wsp_barrier.png
Bubbler

General Strategies:
-WIP-

Team Strategies:
-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:
-WIP-

Note: Won't be accepting general strategies until a week after this weapon's launch.

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the Ink Brush Nouveau.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
It feels like a more offencive Inkbrush, seeing it can set up Bubblers surprisingly fast. Great for large firefights as the Bubbler is like an auto win button, especially if you have teammates.

Without the special, it feels very similar to the classic. The loss of Sprinklers is disappointing, but mines can help secure choke points and take foes with you.

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
I wish the sub was burst bombs or something with range but as I predicted this thing gains special very quickly, without special charge up, or sprinklers I had my specials on at least 3-4 times during the match. I imagine this replaces SSJr in a sense by being the 'bubbler or bust' type of weapon except the Ink brush can cover much more ground than the Jr and gains special quicker. We will see as the das go by but so far Im loving how frequently I can use bubbler.

EDIT: The above is pertaining to Ranked battle(splatzone thus far). for turf war, id imagine the vanilla ink brush would be better considering its loadout.

Last edited:

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
(ink brush main)

I found this to be inferior for turf battles; stick with sprinkler and inkstrike if you want to lay down a lot of ink.

In ranked I felt sort of useful by providing bubblers. Just like the normal Inkbrush, the Inkbrush Nouveau is a weapon designed for defending a point that you've already taken, and being a general nuisance. The bubbler is NOT an offensive tool; since you have the shortest range of any weapon you should not engage anyone with your bubbler or you'll get pinballed around. It should primarily be used to save your own *** (if it's crucial for you to stay alive) or to give your teammates a bubble. I like to stick close to my team and provide them with one if I see them in a dangerous position, or I "CMON!" to try to tell them to push and I'll bubble them up when they go in (more often than not they do not realize what I'm trying to convey and they stand around until I bubble them, wasting about half of it). It still suffers from the lack of offensive options as the regular inkbrush did, so you pretty much have to rely on your team to be offensive and capture the point. (You can help them out a little bit with the bubble) After they do that, your area of expertise is helping to keep the area covered in your ink, place mines in spots you think enemies will bump into them, and build up your special meter for another bubble.

In fact, always be building your special meter. That's what this set's main strength is.

deepseadiva

Full Squid
Ooooo, haven't tried it yet, but I can see my favorite thing is going to be zooming in to equip my team with bubbles in one glorious swipe.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Hi, I'm a squidiot. I'm not an Inkbrush main, I prefer the Octobrush, but I tried this out today and...
Am I missing the point on this one? Because I don't like it, it feels like a worse Inkbrush to me.
I don't like having Ink Mine as the sub for two reasons. Firstly, it's not really that great of a sub; sure, it'll retake turf from an enemy and splat them if they don't get away quickly enough, but if it misses (and I see them get jumped away from just before they explode more often than I see people get hit by them) you've just wasted a second or two of the enemy's time, after which they will ink over the area again and continue on their way. Secondly, because it means the Nouveau doesn't get a sub that could compensate for its biggest failing, its tiny range. I wouls've taken anything on this one; Burst Bombs would've been my choice, since they could be used to either soften up foes for even faster splats or just throw for midrange combat where you would otherwise just get wrecked, but Splat or Suction Bombs or Seekers would've been okay too, or even Disruptors to prevent escapes for easier ambushing or just tossing to slow someone briefly as they destroy you. And Bubbler... I don't like Bubbler on this one, it's just not that good when you can be pushed out of swing range and have no ranged sub, meaning it's really only good for passing to teammates or escaping from bad situations. It'd probably benefit from a different special (honestly, I think Killer Wail or Echolocator would be better, if they wanted a special for team support, or Inkzooka, if they wanted to make an offensive Inkbrush).
This weapon is weird to me. I want to like it, it feels like it's trying to be an offensive version of the Inkbrush, but I honestly can't see it as anything but a downgrade from the original, since it has literally nothing to let it attack at range (the original at least had Inkstrike, which wasn't much, but it was something). On the other hand, if it's supposed to be a team-supporting Inkbrush (I remember Sheldon saying something to that effect when I bought it), then I feel like it's beaten out by the Octobrush, since that has Squid Beakons to place around the map for easy travel, the Kraken for easier escapes and the possibility of splatting the unwary, and better power and range to be usable in combat; sure, it still gets wrecked by Chargers, but so does the Inkbrush Nouveau.
So I need to know, am I doing it wrong? Is there something I'm missing? Because as it stands, I don't like this weapon at all.

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
I completely agree with the sub argument, Regarding the Bubbler, The fact that the ink brush can build it quickly is cool. Ive come to accept the ink brush is really not made for killing(it can but you have to be godlike) but it can ink the field like a mother. Id say just try to establish field control using it as opposed to doing what the other weapons do which is killing.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
it feels like it's trying to be an offensive version of the Inkbrush
I would disagree; I think it's trying to be an extra supporty Inkbrush. The original inkbrush was already a somewhat good support since it could leave sprinklers everywhere and build up an inkstrike to recapture a zone, but this Inkbrush offers a different kind of support that's more actively involved. The bubbler has a variety of team uses.

winner133

Full Squid
NNID
winner133
The loadout is pretty bad.

First, ink mines shouldn't be on a weapon that has the range of a toothpick. Plus you have to keep placing ink mines down so their really no point.

Second, Bubbler is just bad, the only reason you want it is to pass it on other team. Combined with your weak range your going have a hard time getting to fows who just keep shooting your bubble.

I may be missing the point of this weapon but other wise just stick to the octobrush or regular ink brush if you really want a gotta go fast weapon

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I would disagree; I think it's trying to be an extra supporty Inkbrush. The original inkbrush was already a somewhat good support since it could leave sprinklers everywhere and build up an inkstrike to recapture a zone, but this Inkbrush offers a different kind of support that's more actively involved. The bubbler has a variety of team uses.
Huh. That's an interesting way of looking at it, I hadn't thought of that.
But I still wouldn't use it. It's just not my kind of weapon, I don't like having to rely on my teammates to deal with enemies (especially Chargers), so I couldn't use something like an Inkbrush that can't fight beyond melee range. Still, maybe I'll come back to it someday and enjoy it, like I have quite a few weapons lately.
Also, this might not be the thread to ask, but what are the variety of team uses for Bubbler? I don't see any byond protecting yourself and passing it to nearby teammates.

deepseadiva

Full Squid
Again, I haven't yet touched this weapon, but I'm almost 100% the whole point of this thing is to bubble up your team.

Is the Bubbler even on any other rollers? Nope. So out of all the rollers, they put it on the fastest one. I think that's it's gimmick.

RemiRei

Inkster Jr.
NNID
RemiRei
I love the Ink Mine on the Inkbrush, it's further cementing the type of playstyle that should be used when using the Inkbrush. The Inkbrush isn't a weapon where you should be all up in someone's face where they can see you, you have to position yourself stealthily, you have to get the jump on the enemy if you want to take them out. The Ink Mine goes perfect with this, be it a distraction or to get some minor damage on them before you jump out, if not killing them by itself. You can also use the speed of the Inkbrush to lure them into your Ink Mine, that's pretty fun.

I didn't like the bubbler at first, it felt awkward that a weapon with such little range would be given a special that when shot pushes them back and puts them at a huge disadvantage. I feel like this set is definitely a more aggressive type of Inkbrush, at least that's the way I've been using it (and been having success with). The bubbler on it isn't just something to distribute to teammates, I've splatted a whole team just because I got the jump on them and then had the bubbler to back me up.

Thebluehero

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
YoloSwaggie
I thought it would be cool but I don't score as high anymore without the Sprinkler and the Inkstrike. I'll just stick with the Original.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
I thought it would be cool but I don't score as high anymore without the Sprinkler and the Inkstrike. I'll just stick with the Original.
Well it's kind of inevitable that a weapon loses in inking potential to a similar counterpart with a sprinkler.

Though in general the nouveau is indeed less optimized for turf, mines and bubblers are less effective when players move around the map constantly.

In ranked modes though the bubbler gives the pushing capacity the original lacked.

Thanks to the inkbrush's speed you have more options with mines than most other weapons do, which is simply helping to guard a point (though it's still
a fine use). You can make your way into the enemy's path, throwing ink around to be a pest and then adding insult to injury by laying mines constantly in the area.
As easy as they may be to avoid on their own, if your opponents keep running afoul of them in seemingly random locations there's a good chance they'll
be thrown off balance. Then once you get your bubbler you can move in to either help your team seize or hold the objective, then retreat to start harassing the enemy team again.

Remember: retreat is a valid strategy. If you ever find yourself outmatched, just roll away and find some more turf to ink and mine for your special.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
I just played in Tower Control with it for the first time - it's definitely better than the regular inkbrush in this mode! Mines are great to put on the tower or on routes to the tower, and since your teammates are usually very close together it's very easy to bubble people. Bubbling people on the tower is great, although people can be knocked off if they're under fire.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I wish the sub was burst bombs or something with range but as I predicted this thing gains special very quickly
I would've taken anything on this one; Burst Bombs would've been my choice, since they could be used to either soften up foes for even faster splats or just throw for midrange combat where you would otherwise just get wrecked, but Splat or Suction Bombs or Seekers would've been okay too, or even Disruptors to prevent escapes for easier ambushing or just tossing to slow someone briefly as they destroy you.
I completely agree with the sub argument.
FOR EVERYONE COMPLAINING ABOUT NONE OF THE BRUSHES HAVING BOMBS...

The Octobrush Nouveau will come with Splat Bombs. Have patience, squidkids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom