• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Inkbrush: Yay or Nay?

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
I haven't done a ton of testing myself, but I don't like it much. Whenever my team mates use one, they always do poorly. Do you think we just need to learn the weapon more, or do you think it just sucks? And if you're good with it, please tell me your secrets.

Tepip

Inkster Jr.
I think it's approach options are very good but it sucks at killing.So I would it as support in turf war but not at all in splat zones.

We need more time to fully understand it.

Dream21

Full Squid
So far it's a nay for me. Maybe as time goes on people will master it as they have the other dreaded splat rollers, but until the I don't want to be on a team with more than one Inkbrush user, if even that.

If you have more than one person with an Inkbrush on your team you likely won't have an enjoyable game.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
I haven't given it a try yet, but I have watched some streams and from what I have seen so far it looks to be a rather weak weapon. Looks like it has a little more of a learning curve than the paint roller.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Does a measly 20 damage on collision, ~28 for the melee attack (seems to sometimes do less though, enough to become a 5HKO instead of 4), and ~21 for the splash which has terribly inconsistent accuracy. What really strikes me as an issue though is the thin trail makes it very hard to go back and reload without accidentally falling out.

Overall, looks like it's both bad at painting and bad at killing. What's it even good for?

Rhino47

thInk Tank Captain
NNID
Rhino47
I had a few Splat Zone matches where I did very well as a support player. You just have to sneak up on people and distract them with the sprinkler. If you go into a battle head on with the Inkbrush, you're gonna have a bad time.

It's also really great for making a quick path for your team at the beginning of the match. So far I like it because of the challenge and am looking forward to trying to master it.

Rhino47

thInk Tank Captain
NNID
Rhino47
~28 for the melee attack
I'll have to check to see what damage boost will do for this one, cause that could put it in the 3 hit KO range which would make it much better. 5 hits with a super short range weapon is too many in this game.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
They are pretty much how I expected them to be. Really fast, but no bite. Fun to use though. They are definitely in their own class of weapons, since I don't feel like they could be classified as a roller, due to how different they are played.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
I played a few rounds with it. I honestly can't even see this as a good support tool that you could use well in high tier play. It has a good special, but it's shared with better weapons. It has a good sub, but it's also shared by better weapons. I suppose that you could distract someone with the sprinkler, like how Rhino47 said, but I still think that you can't kill fast enough with it. It's range also kills it. It gets the areas to the side of you very well, but it doesn't go far enough to make it that useful. I think this is a dud weapon. Hopefully I can be proven wrong, though.

dustmyte

Full Squid
NNID
dustmyte
Well, one time I squid swam in the trail of an Inkbrush user. Man, we got to the enemy's spawn before they even started leaving. They sure do move fast. I'd say it's good for the early mid rush. But the offensive capabilities are quite weak, they don't really put up much of a fight against well anything really... you have to totally ambush your opponent.

It's pretty hilarious when you get somebody with it though.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
I'll have to check to see what damage boost will do for this one, cause that could put it in the 3 hit KO range which would make it much better.
Problem is, Damage Up will never make a weapon Splat sooner. It is there solely to counter Defense Up

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I'm not entirely sure.
On the one hand, it's fast. Like, really fast. I zoomed across any inkable surface when I was using this thing. And its attack is pretty fast too. Also, the Sprinkler is a nice, complementary sub-weapon for the Inkbrush, since it covers an area independent of you. And the Inkstrike is a pretty nice Special, at least in my eyes.
On the other hand, it leaves a very thin ink trail (roughly as large as a Seeker's trail), so it doesn't cover much ground, even if it does cover it quickly; furthermore, it feels like it has very little range when swung (that could partially be my poor aim, but even when I held it upward it didn't look like it was going that far). Also, it doesn't feel like it deals much damage per hit (does it deal any damage when you're dragging it on the ground?), so it won't get quick splats except maybe on already-weakened enemies. Also, the Sprinkler takes a lot of Ink per use, so you will probably have to recharge after throwing one (or before, at least in my experience). Finally, the Inkstrike doesn't really feel like it belongs with this weapon (just a personal preference, I think).
I could see it being useful to get around really quickly and to get your teammates to places quickly (I've thrown Seekers out in front of me and followed behind them to replenish my ink, go forward quickly and maybe attack at the same time) and it could be a great harassment tool since it's so fast. Again, the Sprinkler feels like a great addition to the Inkbrush, which can cover quite a bit of space while you're off doing something else. Ninja Squid feels like a must if you're using this thing, so you can sneak up on people, and Swim Speed Up too, so you can run away quickly. Maybe both Ink Savers and/or Ink Recovery Up would be useful, if only so you don't end up running out at a bad time and can recharge quickly when you need to.
Maybe it would be better if it were stronger (maybe they'll make a Strong Inkbrush at some point), or had more range on its swings (please let a Long Inkbrush happen at some point), or if it had the Bubbler or Inkzooka or Killer Wail or Burst Bomb Rush or just something other than Inkstrike as its Special (please, please, PLEASE let a Custom Inkbrush or Inkbrush Deco happen down the line).
Right now, the Inkbrush honestly feels like a less extreme version of the Rapid-Blaster-to-Blaster comparison to me. It's faster (much faster, unlike the Rapid Blaster, which felt slightly faster, but not faster enough, but that's just my opinion), but I don't think the loss of power (and in this case, range) is worth it.
At least, that's how I feel.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I haven't used it yet, but honestly I don't like the idea very much. It just doesn't cover enough ground for me to like it.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
I'm pretty saddened from what I'm reading.

I was looking forward to it ,-,

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
So I decided to use this weapon and initially I thought it was strange. I still do, but I feel like kills isn't it's job.

The rollers have crush power, shotgun spread and a OHKO. This thing only has speed and somewhat decent splatter. So I'm like "okay, this thing can't be for kills, so I need to think about this- wait, a paintbrush?" I decided to focus on painting, using my mobility to get to areas my team couldn't do to being pinned down. In my first two games of doing this, I hit 9-10 points (not including the bonus). My third game I had 0/0 KD but held it down for the team and I almost had 1000 without the bonus. So this is definitely a support weapon.

Kills wise, I found that jumping around and using the splatter to defend yourself from pressure worked well, but getting attacked from the back always seems to be an instant lose scenario, even more so than rollers who can turn on you and jump splatter or use Kraken.

But honestly? I can't say yay or nay. Most of the games I lost DID have bad players on it, or I was doing just as bad as I would have with a gun, so I can't say for sure. Right now, I'm feeling pretty nay, but I think this weapon does something so much more different than standard rollers that I'mma keep givin' it a shot.

But damn is it tiring to use. @.@

Hootie

Inkling
NNID
Vin_Megadiesel
After about 20 or so matches with it I can say that it is actually pretty decent. It's a great infiltration tool and its good at spreading ink if you swing a lot. I was consistently top scoring and getting 1200+ points each match I won with it. No other weapon has the sprinkler and ink strike together iirc which gives it a lot utility. It's tad under powered in the killing department, but that's not its purpose. I think its balanced weapon that people will need to learn how to use more to see its use in Turf War.

As for splat zones its only useful for inking small points (think blackbelly skatepark) really fast, but it otherwise is just a worse roller. Give it some time before we start shouting for it to get buffed. Think of it as katana you use to infiltrate and ambush the enemy.

I actually compare it to the Scout in TF2 with how fast it is and how well it flanks enemies in tandem with the sprinkler.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom