• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Jet Squelcher: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Jet Squelcher

Lv Unlocked in Shop:
Lv 8

Cost:

Shop Description:
"Designed to maximize range in order to effectively take on charger-type weapons. Boasts the greatest range of any automatic ink shooter."

Type:
Shooter

Stats:
Range: High
Damage: Low
Fire Rate: Low - Mid

Sub:
Spash Wall

Special:
InkStrike

Genreal Strategies:
-WIP-

Team Strategies:
-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:
-WIP-

Update: We are now accepting general strategies about this weapon. Please note I'll only add the strategy if I see video evidence or it is generally agreed upon in the thread.

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the Jet Squelcher.

Last edited:

NimbusSpark

Inkster Jr.
NNID
NimbusSpark
As a bit of a wierd note and thanks to simple testing, the damage of the Jet Squelcher per shot is in fact higher than the Splattershot Jr despite them looking like they have the exact same damage. This was mostly likely done to justify the rate of fire decrease, but yeah, just like to say that.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I really love the jet Squelcher myself. Being able to hit and paint from far away is really helpful. I think this a really good weapon.

ShneeOscar

Inkling
The Squelcher is probably top 5, under the Aerosprey, Jr., Krack-On, and .52 Deco.

Sludge

Inkling
NNID
Sludgetoon
I find this weapon is out classed by the splattershot pro and you don't get stuck with the finicky wall.

Since using the jet squelcher for the first time. I have learn a lot more about long ranger blasters so I'm going to give it another try.

PUK

Inkling
I love it. It outrange the fast charger, it kills faster than most chargers and it's safer. Some damage up can give you 3hko, because it does a little more than 30% per shot.
Overall it can do chargers job while not needing protection, can open the path and counter both rollers and aerospray who can't do anything

NimbusSpark

Inkster Jr.
NNID
NimbusSpark
I find this weapon is out classed by the splattershot pro and you don't get stuck with the finicky wall.

Since using the jet squelcher for the first time. I have learn a lot more about long ranger blasters so I'm going to give it another try.
I probably wouldn't say it's outclassed by the Splattershot Pro, to be honest. Both do have the same firing rate, but the Jet Squelcher is better in terms of range and ink efficency due to the lower damage. I must agree that this is probably the worst Shooter weapon for when the enemy is within your firing range, but the Squelcher still does really well with spacing and larger, more wider open maps due to it's ability to combat against Chargers with less error.

UnnecessaryTodd

Full Squid
NNID
UnnecessaryTodd
Probably my favourite weapon in Turf war (I've had zero success with it in Splat Zones, but maybe will give it another try at higher levels) Combined with Opening Gambit and Swim Speed Up, you can get to the centre of most maps in two bursts.

Not the best for killing, but it is great for defence. The Spray Wall is possibly my favourite sub (Can't go wrong with Splat Bombs though) and Inkstrike is always good to have in a pinch whether it be taking back a splat Zone or breaking a line of defence in Turf War.

Jet Squelcher is especially fantastic in narrow corridors or defending Sniper positions. Throw up a spray wall, and use your incredible range to paint the lane. I haven't tried it on Port Mackerel yet but I'm oh so excited to do so. That stage is corridor heaven.

But from stages I have played, Jet Squelcher is particularly good on Arrowana Mall with the side alleys and the nooks that come out from them, and Blackbelly from the centre tower and any of the ground areas since while they are open they are easy to find somewhere to have the spray wall be effective.

Not so good on Saltspray since there aren't any walled areas to take advantage of but the increased range does mean you can send some ink into the enemy's usually untouchable territory.

Haven't had the fortune to play Urchin Underpass or Walleye Warehouse much in Turf War.

xXDR.SWOOCEXx

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SupahHotFire17

That Pro uses way too much ink. I think the Squelcher is third behind the Jr. and the Aerospray RG.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
I don't know. The Splash Wall is a pretty cool sub, but I find that the Squelcher itself is severely lacking in killing power. The pro might use a lot more ink, but that's a small price to pay for actually getting **** done.

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
I prefer the dual squelcher, but I use the Jet squelcher in ranked just for the ink strike. The ink wall is also incredibly useful, especially in Arowana mall as it bottlenecks all the enemy players to move to one side on mid or delays them enough for that your team gets the better positions. I believe that both squelchers though are really good for countering those pesky Jr.'s and Aerospray's, as long as the map is large and open enough.

ChivalRuse

Inkster Jr.
I don't know. The Splash Wall is a pretty cool sub, but I find that the Squelcher itself is severely lacking in killing power. The pro might use a lot more ink, but that's a small price to pay for actually getting sh*t done.
Exactly. And for that reason I feel that .96 Gal is pretty much a superior weapon to Squelcher if you want range but also power.

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
I use the Dual Squelcher because the Echolocator is fantastic, as is the increased fire rate. But either way, the Squelchers are my favourite weapon and I typically do well when using the hem.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I also can't give ink wall enough praise. It is fantastic at dealing with enemy attacks. I've completely stopped Krakens in their tracks with this before. I'm not sure, but I think it can also block inkzooka attacks. Not to sure on that one.

Honestly, my main problem with this weapon is that, in a game dominated by short range but incredibly rapid fire weapons, it is very hard to deal with people who get close to you. You really have to be defensive with this weapon. This is a support weapon like the chargers. (Fittingly.)

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
For some reason on part of my dream last night I was using this gun, and whenever I tried to splat someone it took like 10 hits. Yep, pretty accurate.

Nah, but I do have some trouble using the Squelcher effectively. I imagine with some damage ups this weapon would be a lot better, with both range and decent damage this gun would be fearsome. I don't think I've really given the gun enough of a try. I use the Splattershot so whenever I switch to the Squelcher I feel like I'm firing so slow. :b

NineWholeGrains

Inkster Jr.
NNID
xcrunner39
I think the utility of the Squelcher family goes waaaay up in Splat Zones simply because of their range. The kill power may be a bit lacking (although I've found myself getting shot up by them on numerous occasions), but sometimes harassing the opponents and keeping paint in their controlled zone is all you need before a teammate crashes in or fires an Inkstrike.

Speaking of which... Splash Wall and Inkstrike? This weapon's loadout is just begging for Ranked. I'm gonna grind some games later today and see if it performs as well in practice as it does on paper.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The lack of kill power is still an issue though, as having kill power means defending yourself, and stopping opponents.

But yeah ink strike is great. One of the big reason to use this weapon. Learning to play defensively enough to build up to the special while avoiding enemies is key.

NineWholeGrains

Inkster Jr.
NNID
xcrunner39
The lack of kill power is still an issue though, as having kill power means defending yourself, and stopping opponents.

But yeah ink strike is great. One of the big reason to use this weapon. Learning to play defensively enough to build up to the special while avoiding enemies is key.
Yeah, positioning yourself is super important with the weapon. There's definitely a sweetspot range where you'll want to stay, which hurts the weapon's overall versatility. At least it has the Wall to help establish that zone, but I worry that's still a bit too specialized. I'm looking forward to trying it out later today.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah, positioning yourself is super important with the weapon. There's definitely a sweetspot range where you'll want to stay, which hurts the weapon's overall versatility. At least it has the Wall to help establish that zone, but I worry that's still a bit too specialized. I'm looking forward to trying it out later today.
Of course, at the same time, being specialized will be a huge help to when we can finally have teams set up. Could easily make a very good support role weapon like the chargers. Long range to help other players take out enemies. Splash Wall to stop certain specials, to defend yourself, other teamates, or just simply stopping an advancement.

Then of course inkstrike to be both crowd control, and for splat zones, claiming territory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom