• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

L-3 Nozzlenose D: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
So the L-3 Nozzlenose D just came out, and while I'm usually not into semi-auto weapons I decided to give this one a try. Turns out the Burst Bombs and Kraken make this version a keeper so far. Sure, the original has a Disruptor which helps give foes a hard time but I'm more the kind of player who wants to grab as much turf as possible. Hence, the Burst Bombs were a welcome change of pace. And the Kraken is...well, a Kraken. At least, it's great for emergency invincibility and surprise ambush tactics.

What about you? How do you consider this one compared to the original model (and other weapons for that matter)?

Also, if @WaifuRaccoonBL makes a thread about this I'm fine with this one being merged with it.

E: For the sake of having weapon information in the OP, here are the stats according to Inkipedia:

Level Unlocked: 13
Cost: 6600
Base Damage: 29
Range: 60/100
Attack: 40/100
Fire Rate: 65/100 (for the shots; fire rate between shots depends mostly on your trigger finger's speed)
Sub: Burst Bombs:burstbomb:
Special: Kraken:kraken:

Last edited:

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Discussing it with some of my fellow Nozzler mains in my group, we theorize it will be great in Tower Control and Splatzones. Also, it appears that Burst Bombs+Shot is a kill no matter how much defense the enemy has. This is W/O damage ups. This further stregtens its Splazones usage.

For me, my potentially planned usage is:

SplatZones - Nozzle D
Tower Control - Both Nozzles; potentially dependent on map. I lean vanilla Nozzle tho.
Rainmaker - Nozzle
Turf War - Nozzle D

A good amount of non-Nozzle mains in my group like it...even more than the bamboozler. Which slightly annoys me as a hipster who loves his underrated weapons.

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
It is definitely more offensive than its non-decorated brother; you only really need to hit one small burst instead of 2, as a burst bomb + a nozzlenose shot is a guaranteed splat it seems. I'll probably run a single damage up main ability when using this, as hitting all 3 shots in a burst shot is like... 90 something damage I think with one? Making it very easy to finish off fleeing opponents with a burst bomb, even if they're hit on the very edge of the splash.

Overall I see this being much more popular than its regular counterpart, though some people might still be put off that it isn't fully automatic. I'll also miss the killer wail, but Kraken is alright I suppose. It supplements the more aggressive playstyle this weapon seems to warrant as opposed to the regular one.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
It is definitely more offensive than its non-decorated brother; you only really need to hit one small burst instead of 2, as a burst bomb + a nozzlenose shot is a guaranteed splat it seems. I'll probably run a single damage up main ability when using this, as hitting all 3 shots in a burst shot is like... 90 something damage I think with one? Making it very easy to finish off fleeing opponents with a burst bomb, even if they're hit on the very edge of the splash.

Overall I see this being much more popular than its regular counterpart, though some people might still be put off that it isn't fully automatic. I'll also miss the killer wail, but Kraken is alright I suppose. It supplements the more aggressive playstyle this weapon seems to warrant as opposed to the regular one.
Yeah, I have to agree. This weapon was definitely made for aggressive splatting, especially now that it has a sub that can deal damage rather than simply inconvenience foes. I might actually take it for an extended test drive in Splatfest! (Of course, if I start losing badly with it I still have my Splash-O-Matic as backup...)

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone

The original Nozzlenose is great, but the offensive capabilities of this set make it awesome. It's gonna be hard to tear myself away from it.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
This weapon feels incredible and is so much better than the regular IMO. It's super offensive yet has solid range and burst bombs to defend itself. It's so light that you can just step back whilst shooting to abuse your range and avoid trades.

Also, with heavy damage up investment, you can secure some really lazy kills with burst bomb grazes in conjunction with your shots. My current set up gets a kill with graze + 2 of the 3 shots which is super hard to react to. 3 damage up mains also makes bomb + single shot a KO against somebody with 1 def up main. Kinda handy since good players can react after the first shot and avoid one or both of the others.

It also builds up kraken so fast that it's dumb. I'm seriously considering adding this to my main weapons, especially since the only reason I abandoned the original was due to it conflicting with my playstyle.

Albatross

Senior Squid
NNID
Zacrowski
As someone that has used the original Nozzlenose a lot in ranked I do not like this setup at all. I overall feel like burst bombs aren't necessary with it and that it's just faster to shoot someone twice than to throw a burst bomb and shoot once. Every encounter I had with a Dolphinose yesterday confirmed my beliefs as I was able to kill them before they could shoot me after hitting me with a burst bomb.

I think that this will be great for beginners trying to learn how to sue the weapon, but in the end I think Disruptors and Killer Wail are much better for the weapon.

Edit: Also Nozzlenose is always a four shot kill even if they have 3 defense up. There are test dummies in the test area to see this for yourself.

Last edited:

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
what

I personally think it's 100x better than the original one. Killer Wail is not a good special weapon for it and Dirsuptors? Really?

Burst Bombs -> one shot nozzle

perfecto. c:
Burst Bombs and Kraken are also on the Custom Jet Squelcher, and Im pretty sure he was referring to that he prefers them on that weapon.

Albatross

Senior Squid
NNID
Zacrowski
Killer Wail can get kills, completely shut down an area of the map, kill people as they leave their spawn, completely overpower the other team to break the rainmaker shield, and allow for amazing pushes. All while at the same time you can go off doing something else.

Also disruptors are an amazing sub and as I said two burst fires kill faster than a bomb and a burst fire.

Last edited:

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
Killer Wail is not a good special weapon for it and Dirsuptors? Really?
Disruptors are fantastic with the Nozzlenose. It's a weapon that requires a fair amount of accuracy, and being able to slow down your opponents helps a lot with that. That said, I like Burst Bombs because my accuracy sucks in general, even with the Disruptors. :P

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
what

I personally think it's 100x better than the original one. Killer Wail is not a good special weapon for it and Dirsuptors? Really?

Burst Bombs -> one shot nozzle

perfecto. c:
I disagree.

I by far prefer the original in Rainmaker and even lean towards it in Tower Control. The only mode that I don't find the Kraken annoying is Rainmaker. Killer Wails are straight area denial in RM and TC. Disruptors make the enemy a sitting duck on the tower and shuts the Rain holder down.

As I indicated in my prior post, I plan to use the D in Splatzones mostly. The only reason I think Nozzle D can be good in TC is because I have been told Burstbombs can knock ppl off the tower. Additionally, maps like Moray and Kelp dome from my experience makes it hard to get the benefits of disruptors due to too many objects or falling right off the map. So I rather throw multiple bombs than 1 that uses up most of my ink.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I have more time with the original and somewhat prefer it just because Disruptors are so devastating.

The D is pretty nice for more aggressive players, though. Run a special charge up to get around subpar ink spread and get your Krakens faster.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
Kinda surprised there isn't more discussion on this thing. I've been playing with it for a while now and outside of coverage it feels like a flat out upgrade to the splattershot, which people slept on for ages.

Current build is:

1 special charge main
1 special duration main
2 damage up main
Ink resistance
3 run speed up

Burst bombs create amazing traps and strafing with this thing is the best. I feel I have complete control over where I am at all times and I've been running circles round .96's lately which is great since they're still as common as ever. The mobility cannot be understated. Kraken charges in no time although I pretty much only use it when I'm trapped.

I feel like people are turned off by the semi-automatic fire and the accuracy required but this is something I'm gonna continue to work with. I can see the appeal of the vanilla as a team player but I think individually speaking, and especially if you're aggressive, the 3D is the way to go.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
A bit of a necro bump, but that is because I found a solution to the aim being thrown off issue. Well not me, another user (forgot who sorry) made a great discovery a while ago that holding down the Y button keeps the camera consistent while shooting, and I only just now remembered. However I'm a stick control user so I didn't think that'd be of any use to me since I can't hold down the Y button and aim with the right stick at the same time, until now! The solution? Tape! Yep I taped the Y button down on my controller and it works! Aiming is so much better now, and even though I'm still not a fan of having to press ZR all day, I now really like this weapon! Which is good, since it only makes sense for me to use this weapon hehe.

That ink efficiency buff is actually legit, I feel like this is one of the best inking weapons now, certainly gets the Kraken quickly even with it's point increase. I used to say the Custom Jet Squelcher was strictly better, but nah, the Dolphinose has it's merrits that make it still worth using, namely the main weapon being better in literally every way (time to kill, accuracy, mobility, turf coverage) except range of course, but even that can be replicated with bomb range ups. Two mains give me roughly the same range as a Jet Squelcher afterall. This is my build currently:

:head_first: :ability_inkrecovery: | :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:clothes_swt001: :ability_bombrange: | :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:shoes_slp000: :ability_bombrange: | :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

I wanna replace the Ink Recovery with Special Saver, but that's not possible without a Shiny.

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
I'm just using broken weapons that should be banned but Nintendo doesn't care about fixing this weapon that will soon plague every mode because of how amazing it is.

Oops :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom