• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Luna Blaster Neo: Analysis and Thoughts

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
After a long gap in-between the release of the original, this is the Luna Blaster Neo, a Luna Blaster with a, literally, new look and load out. While the stats are the same as the normal Luna Blaster, this one comes with Splat Bombs and the Splat Bomb Rush (the first non-Splat Charger weapon to have this special, in fact!), making this one more suited for those who prefer to cover ground, rather than landing the precise kills with the kit of the original.

Shop Description: The Luna Blaster Neo is a remodeled Luna Blaster made with original parts. The Splat Bombs and Bomb Rush ensure that you'll cause a riot of inksplosions wherever you go! This is definitely a set for those who prefer to throw caution to the wind and charge into the fray!

Shop Cost: 8,700

Sub Weapon: Splat Bombs

Special Weapon: Splat Bomb Rush

So, with that having been said, please leave your thoughts on the Luna Blaster Neo.

Last edited:

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Yep, the Splat Bombs and Bomb Rush definitely cover for the main weapon's short range, especially with Bomb Range Up to bolster their effectiveness. That said, I'm still not much of a Blaster guy (RBPro being an exception) so I'll just keep it for certain matches.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
I wasn't able to use it much since I have time to play right now, but the Splat Bombs really help out with it's range issue (especially if you use :ability_bombrange: with it) since it allows me to harass enemies without needing to put myself in a bad spot. I can also use the Splat Bombs to force the enemy into a position where I can take them out more easily with my main weapon.

The Splat Bomb rush is also really nice in forcing enemies out of position/splatting them or just gaining a lot of map control due to how well it covers turf.

Overall, I loving this weapon right now. :D

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I wasn't able to use it much since I have time to play right now, but the Splat Bombs really help out with it's range issue (especially if you use :ability_bombrange: with it) since it allows me to harass enemies without needing to put myself in a bad spot. I can also use the Splat Bombs to force the enemy into a position where I can take them out more easily with my main weapon.

The Splat Bomb rush is also really nice in forcing enemies out of position/splatting them or just gaining a lot of map control due to how well it covers turf.

Overall, I loving this weapon right now. :D
Yes, this is definitely the more coverage-oriented version of the Luna Blaster, since Splat Bombs aren't guaranteed kill-tools like Inkmines and the Inkzooka. However, they can still kill much of and even wipe a team pretty effectively, and yes, Bomb Range Up is almost essential here. The special would probably work best with this weapon on flatter and more open maps like Kelp Dome and Walleye Warehouse.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
Yes, this is definitely the more coverage-oriented version of the Luna Blaster, since Splat Bombs aren't guaranteed kill-tools like Inkmines and the Inkzooka. However, they can still kill much of and even wipe a team pretty effectively, and yes, Bomb Range Up is almost essential here. The special would probably work best with this weapon on flatter and more open maps like Kelp Dome and Walleye Warehouse.
Um, not to diss on inkmines, but splat bombs for me kill 100% more enemy squid/kids then ink mines ever have.

I'm happy that splat bomb rush isn't charger exclusive anymore, however luna blaster isn't for me. It's a great weapon, and after trying out the neo version I definitely think that the Neo Luna is more well rounded. Like the reg luna blaster gets mines to protect(well try to anyways) your back and inkzooka to kill things from afar in front. The neo however, well honestly the Luna in it's name is so fitting. I feel like the weapon literally does to enemies what the moon does to the ocean. You can pull them towards you, into your deadly range, with splat bombs/bomb rush, or push them back with splat bombs/bomb rush. And it can easily blanket an area in it's rays (ie: ink).

Beautiful analogies aside, I'll be sticking to the tri-slosher. I'm more of a support person, and disruptors satisfy my sadistic side.

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
Of course they release this weapon on a Moray/Bluefin rotation. AKA, your bomb rush is useless due to heights.

In any case, despite my hype for this weapon I am actually doing absolutely terrible tonight. The worst I've done in ages. I was streaking and going positive for the past few nights and earlier tonight, but then I just suddenly tilted. Not sure how I'm even still in S+.

Anyway, I bring this up because perhaps I'm too reliant on Splat Bombs. Splat Bombs are great fun since they allow the Luna to pressure like it never could before, but it's easy to get carried away and chuck one and then realize you don't have enough ink to shoot. Often, I'd be so focused on pressuring with bombs that I wouldn't give myself an out in case something went bad (it often did). I don't get that problem as much with the Custom Range Blaster, even though the Luna consumes less ink per shot than the other blasters. I've also become a very passive player with this weapon, throwing splat bombs and waiting for an opportunity to push. Doesn't seem to be working and frankly, I'm quite vexed.

Last edited:

vtroid5

Full Squid
NNID
vtroid5
:ability_bombrange::head_cap000::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
:ability_coldblooded::clothes_swt006::ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage: Or :ability_coldblooded::clothes_tes003::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_inkresistance::shoes_shi005::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Thoughts? I'm not really sure if I 100% need the damage up vs the Ink recovery.

AspireArt

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Boponpa
You won't need the damage ups, (at least in my opinion) because the patch made all of the splash damage from the edges of the luna blaster a 2HKO. No point in that anymore.

vtroid5

Full Squid
NNID
vtroid5
You won't need the damage ups, (at least in my opinion) because the patch made all of the splash damage from the edges of the luna blaster a 2HKO. No point in that anymore.
Good point. I was also debating if I should change quick respawn, ink recovery, or cold blooded for more swim speed.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Good point. I was also debating if I should change quick respawn, ink recovery, or cold blooded for more swim speed.
I'd change the Quick Respawns to Special Saver if possible as it makes more of a difference at that low amount of subs, atleast imo.

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
Bomb Range is also quite handy on the Luna Neo. I'm running 4 subs right now, but you can get the same effect with a main and just one sub for 120% throw range.

Right now, I'm running

:head_amb000::ability_swimspeed::ability_bombrange:Something else I can't remember that I'd prefer to be another swim speed
:clothes_plo004:(Is this the cycling shirt?) :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:Something else
:shoes_cfs001::ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange:

It's working out alright for me now that I'm getting a grip on my playstyle again.

~

I'm curious if Sub Saver is actually worth it on this weapon. On most guns, the cost of your sub ability ends up being too high for you to fire many shots after you throw the sub anyway. But on the Neo Luna, you usually have enough for 1-2 more shots. Having a single main or three subs or sub saver might allow you to get an extra shot or two off after you throw a bomb, which can be crucial in 1v1s or after you set up your approach.

Last edited:

DisidisiD

Inkling
guaranteed kill-tools like Inkmines
That's funny. You think ink mines are guaranteed. You have no idea how easily people escape them before they explode. The start up is way too high. A roller can roll over it and escape unscathed without leaving roll mode. At least with splatbombs, there are ways of "shortening" the timer.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
That's funny. You think ink mines are guaranteed. You have no idea how easily people escape them before they explode. The start up is way too high. A roller can roll over it and escape unscathed without leaving roll mode. At least with splatbombs, there are ways of "shortening" the timer.
Oh no I'm not saying that Inkmines are guaranteed, I'm just saying that that's their guaranteed purpose. Splat Bombs are a mix of turf and kill.

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
:clothes_tes023::ability_recon::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

I was using this shirt with my Luna and Luna Neo. Honestly, this weapon seriously benefits from Inkling Speed Ups in turf wars. A gear set with skills boosting your special, Inkling Speed, bomb range, and ink recovery is what I recommend.

The individual blasts really don't use that much ink, and the 2hko rule on the blast's splash (it only 1hko if you hit bullseye) make strength up as wasteful as inkling speed on a roller.

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
I don't think damage up is completely useless on Blasters post-patch. It no longer extends the radius of your OHKO, but it can snag you some kills on enemies that submerge after you hit them with the AoE, which they could have otherwise healed off. It's just no longer a required stat for the Luna or the stock/range blasters.

On the other hand, Rapid Blasters still benefit greatly from damage up.

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
That's a really good point I hadn't even considered!

I'm gonna experiment more over splatfest.

vtroid5

Full Squid
NNID
vtroid5
I'm curious if Sub Saver is actually worth it on this weapon. On most guns, the cost of your sub ability ends up being too high for you to fire many shots after you throw the sub anyway. But on the Neo Luna, you usually have enough for 1-2 more shots. Having a single main or three subs or sub saver might allow you to get an extra shot or two off after you throw a bomb, which can be crucial in 1v1s or after you set up your approach.
I don't think it is.... With no sub saver (from a full tank) I can throw 1 bomb followed by 6 shots before coming up empty.

If I'm not squidding within 6 shots I probably need to adjust my playstyle imo.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
So, along with the H-3 Nozzlenose D, I tried this weapon out in Splatfest today, and I like it about equally with the normal Luna Blaster. It's a bit more offensive amd more focused on turfing rather than things that are completely used for killing, being the Inkmines and Inkzooka of the normal one. Splat Bombs and Splat Bomb Rush can kill, mark my words, but I found myself using them more for offensive coverage and map control rather than wiping the enemies off the map. The main weapon itself, like usual, is a range-challenged but close range beast and one that must rush most opponents down to secure kills. Very offensive, with not many defensive options; this one should be used in the front lines.

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
Damage Ups for the Neo Luna can still work but in a rather odd way. When a splat bomb explodes, more often than not, there's residual damage that's caused if someone is somewhat close to the blast radius. This can effectively make the Luna's blast radius a 1-hit proportional to your Damage Ups. I believe +25% in Damage Ups (3 mains, 2 subs) will allow a 1-hit at the maximum blast radius (the very tip of the explosion) but 1 main coupled with solid aiming should be more than enough. You might not find too many of these situations but this can give your splat bombs a more useful radius than just the effective kill zone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom