• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Moray Towers: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Note: This thread will be in a constant state of WIP. Will be updated when new content becomes known.

Welcome to the Moray Towers Analysis thread. Where we will try to gather and express as much info as we can on this stage.

This thread will hopefully find all sorts of strategies and cool details about this stage.

Moray Towers

Overview

A map with high vertically and multiple paths. Some of the paths are risky due to having to jump over gaps.

Inkopolis News Info
Callie: "I love dashing across this whole stage with a roller."
Marie: "It's all fun and games until I splat you in the face."
Callie: "OK, Marie. Give us another one of your tips!"
Marie: "What goes up must come down...unless it doesn't!"
Callie: "So...if Judd ever called in sick, what would happen?"
Marie: "I don't even want to think about that!"
Callie: "Man, my fear of heights and this stage do not jive."
Marie: "Yeah, I'm with you on that,"

Strategies
-WIP-

Extras
-WIP-

Please help us find more info. I'll update the thread accordingly.

Last edited:

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
And the day of the charger has finally come. Everyone needs one for this map or thou shall have a pain in the arse to climb it up.

Dream21

Full Squid
This stage is a lot to take in.

I can't way to try a charger on it!

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Sure wish I could try it in Tower Control right now, but noooooo...

ShinyTogetic

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Maikaru
Switch Friend Code
SW-3468-6485-0599
Surprisingly there are a lot of sprinkler spots here but inkbrush has a hard time moving from one place to another due to walls and stuff x:

Recettear

Full Squid
NNID
anrakutei
Snipers are really good on this map. E-Liters obviously are the way to go for the range.

Just fought a team that had a Dynamo Roller in the center and an E-Liter up top providing covering fire. Because I was using the Sploosh-O-Matic (My new favorite weapon) which has almost no way of getting in when they're holding down the center that well, I just spent the entire match trying to flank but to no avail.

Definitely take a weapon with at least mid-range. Long range would be good. I find it funny that they put Port Mackarel and Moray Towers in the same cycle yet different weapon types accel at either map. Close range weapons are fantastic on the port whereas on Moray Towers, well, good luck ever getting any kills. You'll get camped out so hard by smart players. Get good with a sniper rifle and use it well.

Also, quick tip, falling speed is faster when you're in human form. If you want to jump down the tower instead of Super Jump then drop it human form, not squid form. If you fall in squid form after jumping from your ink though, you'll recover ink for as long as you're falling and in squid form, so that has its uses too.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
First Impressions: On a scale from Arowana Mall to 10... it gets a 6... a little bit overwhelming, but it's a lot of fun... Chargers wreck s*** here. XD

Virtuoso

Inkling
NNID
RastSekyd
Fun map, but terrible for inkbrushers. Not much room to maneuver around the rollers and chargers that are most certainly hunting you down. I have found some success in hiding on walls with Ninja Squid, and there's plenty to do with sprinklers. Chargers are also screwed if you can get behind them, and it's even better if you climb up the wall to ambush them.

I've also got it 10 times in a row, which is very frustrating when I play Inkrush 99% of the time and can perform well on -any- other map.

LuisGVN

Inkling
NNID
Luis-GVN

Made a little breakdown of the new Moray Tower map. It's really interesting, it really supports rollers but the high altitudes provide a nice map for snipers and bomb users. There's also a couple of alternate routes that let you sneak up against these rollers and snipers.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Might become my new favorite map! Fantastic for chargers as well. Though, bare in mind I only played Turf War so far.

One thing I love about this map is that E-liter isn't as super op as everyone was predicting. They are just very powerful in one aspect, being defending. However, they can still be flanked and missing a shot can get bad.

Other chargers still have a place as well, being incredibly offensive. Splat bombs are also fantastic. I recommend bomb range up so that you can reach higher altitudes with ease for surprise attacks from below.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Easily the map that caters to snipers the most. It's practically needed to at least have one person up high covering their team. But it's not imposible to take them down. Walls provide great flanking opportunities but just don't fall off.

It's also quite a large map. Getting back into the action after respawning takes more time than usual. I think beacons are pretty great for that reason here. And if you place them in good positions it'll be both easy for you to get back into action and hard for the other team to take them out because it will probably involve some climbing.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I'm loving it right now, it's so vertically and windingy and long and fun.
Granted, I've only played on it for about an hour in Splat Zones (really it was less, I kept going to Bluefin instead), but I'm loving its design, and I've also got some thoughts. They're really only general thoughts or Splat Zones-centric, I don't know much about how it goes in the other modes, but here they are:
1) You can get to the center really quickly by just holding forward (and moving around any obstructions), which is nice, but that generally isn't the best idea if the other team is holding it because you'll get murdered by a sniper standing above it or a Roller waiting for you to drop in for an easy splat, which doesn't help your team at all. Instead, going around from the side to flank the center can work (try to do both at the same time, but your teammates may not be so cooperative). It can work pretty well if your team's got the center though, but be careful.
2) Superjumping might actually be a good idea here, since it takes a while to get anywhere without them (do Run/Swim Speed Ups increase the speed you move forward at while falling through the air? Just curious). As such, Quick Super Jump could become useful here for getting around (relatively) quickly by going to teammates, Stealth Jump might be good for making sure you don't get crushed as soon as you land, and well-placed Squid Beakons should facilitate easy travel for teammates (and yourself, if necessary).
3) You can ink up the walls here. It's good to remember that, since it opens up flanking strategies that otherwise might not exist and makes holding higher-up areas a bit more difficult sincey ou can just swim up the wall to attack them from their height (though you can still be shot while doing this, so be careful).
4) HOLY S*** CHARGERS ARE AMAZING HERE! Seriously, this stage was practically built to be sniper heaven, with all the easy places to shoot down from. I can see the E-Liter 3K in particular shining here, since it has Burst Bombs to rain down on enemies that you're having trouble with (or if they get close to you) and, more importantly, Echolocator to pinpoint where your enemies are so your team doesn't get dropped by ambushes as easily. The E-Liter Custom should be awesome too, since it has Squid Beakons for quick travel to important points and the Kraken for defense (enemies shooting at you? Break out the INVINCISQUID and run away) and offense (are you being ambushed? RELEASE THE KRAKEN). Splat Charger and Splatterscope should be good too, since they have Splat Bomb Rush to cover everything below them, but the Kelp Variants might be even better since they get Sprinklers to easily cover areas and annoy enemies and Killer Wail to make enemies GTFO or get splatted. Squiffers might be alright too, trading range for being able to defend themselves better, or just as a complement to the aforementioned chargers, Classic in particular for this purpose since it has Bubbler.
5) Rollers are nice too, having one of these is a good idea. Having one of these just stand over a Splat Zone flinging ink onto it is a good way to keep one under your control when it's getting attacked (but watch out for ambushes), and they make a good way to hold the center, either by the above method or by waiting in the center for someone to rush in and smashing them. The regular Splat Roller for this, since it has a decent-size ink-fling, as well as access to Suction Bombs and Killer Wails for GTFO purposes. The Krak-On is also a great choice, since it has the regular roller's fling and also Squid Beakons to let your teammates get around (or to you) quickly and the Kraken for doing Kraken things like swimming up walls for easy ambushes or becoming invincible when you get ambushed or outranged. The Dynamo Roller is pretty good too, sacrificing speed (on the swings) and safety (from Suction Bombs and the Kraken) to gain great swing range (great for coating the center, and any enemies therein, in your team's ink in just a couple swings), the Sprinkler to claim areas somewhat easily (I'll bet there are quite a few good areas to toss a Sprinkler, especially the walls by the Splat Zones) and the Echolocator to avert ambushes (or do some of your own, if you feel so inclined). The Gold Dynamo Roller shares the slowness and hugeness of its non-Gold version's swings, but goes for versatility with the Splat Bombs for a quicker attack option and Inkstrikes to contest Splat Zones with ease, making it also a good pick. I'd hesitate to recommend it, but the Carbon Roller can be useful for holding areas once your team controls them, lying in wait to ambush foes or tossing Burst Bombs and Inkzooka shots at further-off enemies; however, its short range is kind of problematic on a map like this, you'll have to focus more on flanking, ambushes and hoping your team can deal with Chargers for you.
6) This is not a good map for the Inkbrush. The quick way to the center is falling down a lot, which the Inkbrush doesn't go faster during, and the main ways up the enemy's side of the map are running up the side path, during which you gain the additional speed of the Inkbrush's running but are wide open to get attacked (those paths aren't very wide, so you probably can't dodge easily, so you'll probably get splatted if this happens) and inking up walls to swim up them, which could be troublesome with the Inkbrush and its poor vertical range. Still, it does have the advantages of throwing Sprinklers onto places to capture them easily and dropping Inkstrikes onto Splat Zones to contest them... but there are other weapons that have one or the other and aren't forced to deal with having the shortest range of any main weapon in the game.
And the upcoming NZap89 will have both and a fairly good rapid-fire, if the leak is correct.
7) Just a general piece of advice, but put a Squid Beakon at the area above each side's Splat Zone if you can. maybe it's not the best use of a Beakon, but those places are a great vantage point from which you can shoot down at those attacking the Splat Zone, so it's worth trying to hold those areas when you get them.
7b) Just a quick and kinda-irrelevent-to-the-topic-at-hand question, but can you hide behind Squid Beakons to have them absorb a few shots for you? I don't see it being at all practical 95% of the time, but I just want to know.
8) Short range weapons might have a hrd time here, since it's easy to snipe and ambushing a team when they get control of something with a height advantage will be pretty tricky, but if you swim up walls for ambushes and make good use of your loadout I'm sure they're all at least somewhat usable on this stage.
8b) In general though, stay away from anything with less range than a Splattershot unless it has something really good to it (Splattershot Jr. has Splat Bombs & Bubbler combo, Splash-O-Matic has Suction Bomb Rush to claim areas and make enemies GTFO, Rollers were covered above, Luna Blaster might be okay for its one-shotting ability, maybe others that I'm not thinking of).
9) I'm not sure, but I feel like the Rapid Blasters should be good here. They have more range than other Blasters, so they might be able to scare off Chargers firing down from ledges, and their loadouts should be useful here (normal Rapid Blaster primarily for Bubbler defense, but Deco has Suction Bombs and Suction Bomb Rush for forcing enemies out of areas and covering it at the same time).
Though the Range Blaster's existence throws this into question for me, and the Rapid Blaster Pro's increased range does this to an extent as well.
9b) The L3 Nozzlenose should be an interesting choice here. It can ink turf pretty well by mashing its burst-fire, it has Disruptors for annoyance and slowing enemies to pick them off easily, and it has Killer Wails to make enemies GTFO, and you go back to your normal movement extremely quickly after firing (unlike a Blaster where you're stuck standing there briefly), but it lacks power relative to other Blasters and rapid-fire speed relative to other shooters, so I'm not quite sure it'll be great at the moment.
9c) While I'm on the subject, the regular Blaster should be a solid pick too, since it trades the Nozzlenose's speedy fire (and speedy recovery after firing) for sheer power, letting you pick off enemies with ease after dropping a Disruptor on them and it also has the Killer Wail for the same purpose as the Nozzlenose. The Custom Blaster could be good as well, tossing Point Sensors up onto walkways to check for enemies and pulling out Bubbler to get damn-near-guaranteed splats. Of the two, it ultimately comes down to what you want: the Custom Blaster gives you a way out when an attack doesn't go as planned and the means to check for hidden enemies but doesn't let you attack enemies outside your shot range, while the regular Blaster practically guarantees splats or at least brief neutralization via Disruptors and lets you attack any point on the stage to aid your teammates with Killer Wails but leaves you more vulnerable if something goes wrong.
That's all I got. These are just first impressions, I could be completely wrong about this stuff.

LoudHeadphones

Inkling
It seems to me that, at least in turf war, climbing the walls to get to enemy territory doesn't ever work.
7b) Just a quick and kinda-irrelevent-to-the-topic-at-hand question, but can you hide behind Squid Beakons to have them absorb a few shots for you? I don't see it I don't see it being at all practical 95% of the time, but I just want to know.
Yea, somebody got me with that strat once.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Managed to sneak in some gameplay at this late an hour (though I had to deal with matches upon matches of Port Mackerel first :mad:). I gotta say, this map convinced me to get the Kelp Splatterscope so that I could use the Sprinkler to hold the center and then snipe away at foes trying to destroy it. Still, I'd rather stick with my Splash-O-Matic since it's still pretty useful and capable of mass turf coverage even there.

Beerox

Inkster Jr.
Kind of a silly map, idk.... others seem to like it. It's definitely different, but so too would be a spiral staircase to a swimming pool in the middle.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
I see a lot of people saying this stage is great for chargers, and my response is they're overrated. Due to the verticality, height, and narrow pathways, chargers dont really have that great of an advantage. Furthermore, you can make surprise attacks against them since there's more than one way to get up on the opponent's side. It's really not that difficult.

Last edited:

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I see a lot of people saying this stage is great for chargers, and my response is they're overrated. Due to the verticality, height, narrow pathways, chargers dont really have that great of an advantage. Furthermore, you can make a surprise attacks against them since there's more than one way to get up on the opponent's side. It's really not that difficult.
This really applies more so towards E-liters. Other chargers can still play offensively, meaning they aren't staying in one place all the time. While yeah, they aren't as amazing as people are saying, their range is still valuable on this map.

One thing I will, an interesting thing about this stage is that due to the vertical nature, being killed is actually a much worse punishment, especially since they aren't many safe spots to super jump too. A person with a Squid Beakon is highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom