• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

N-Zap '85: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
N-Zap '85
Lv Unlocked in Shop:

??? (X > 3?)

Cost:

Shop Description:
"Each shot is kind of weak, but the high rate of fire makes up for it. This weapon's popularity is due not only to its helpful special but also its snazzy futuristic design."

Type:
Shooter

Stats:
Range: Mid
Damage: Low
Fire Rate: High

Sub:
Splat bomb

Special:
Echolocator

Genreal Strategies:
-WIP-

Team Strategies:
-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:
-WIP-

Note: Will not be accepting strategies until at least a week after game launch. They are merely placeholders for right now.

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the N-Zap '85.

The Claw

Inkster Jr.
NNID
mariomario494949
I think it's a bit focused on offensive play considering it's fire rate and range. It can keep a safe distance away from the enemy with splatbombs and with the echolocator it can fire a huge amount of ink without reloading.

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
I made an analysis comparing the N-Zap to the Splattershot here. https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/38w0nv/after_an_indepth_analysis_comparing_the_nzap_85/

There's no photo or video evidence, but you can test out the things I say for yourself. The N-Zap is essentially a high skill, high reward variant of the Splattershot. It is leaps and bounds better than the Splattershot in a competitive match.
Gonna have to disagree with ya, due to how much easier the splattershot is to use, and how much better the Splatershots spreads ink, as opposed to the super tight spread of the N-Zap.

My go to weapon is the N-Zap, but there no denying how useful a splattershot is, with a slightly better range and better ability to cover the map. The N-Zap doesn't spread ink as well, but it's accuracy and fire rate make it a great combat weapon. Granted, all the weapons splat effectively, just the N-Zap does is faster.

It's biggest down fall is it's accuracy however. I like to call the weapon "the mid-range sniper" because it's spread is so tight. But going one on one with someone, if your aim is slightly off, be prepared to lose to guns with a more forgiving spread like a splattershot jr or Aerospray MG. You have to know the range of the N-Zap, especially when it takes 4 shots to splat, it's pretty unforgiving.

If you practice your aim though, and learn to take advantage of he way it spreads ink (like a mini charger) you'll find the N-Zap is a fantastic tool in combat. Splat bombs help wih challenge weapons that out range it, and the echolocator makes sure you can help your team with enemy positions and always be ready to flank.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I was so hype for the NZap when I saw it in the "coming soon" part of the guide, and I wasn't disappointed when I got my hands on it (well, a little, but I'll get into that later).
It's quite a bit easier to splat people and live with this thing than I'm used to (I love the .52 Gals and Krak-On Splat Roller, but the Gals fire a bit slowly (and I keep forgetting Splash Wall exists), which usually results in mutual splats up close, and the Roller's swings are just a bit too slow for my liking), the fast fire and very focused spread is great whether I'm up close or a bit back, and Splat Bombs and Echolocator are pretty useful (Bombs for checking areas for enemies, Echolocator because information is good to have).
Still, it's got problems I can't ignore. The focused spread is great if your aim is on point, but if they dodge (or you miss), the low damage per shot may result in getting splatted before you can focus your shot on them again. Also, it has pretty low damage per shot too; I think it's a 4-shot splat, but Defense Ups make it into a 5-shot more often than I'd like. Yeah, the minimal spread helps group your shots so all of your low-damage shots hit home, but it's still a problem at times. Also, the Splat Bombs eat up a ton of ink per use, and while Echolocator is nice, I'd still prefer any other special (except maybe Killer Wail, just don't think it would be a good fit).
I've heard it has bad ink efficiency too, but I've never really noticed.
So overall, I like the NZap85, and I'm looking forward to the 89.

Short272

Inkling
NNID
27Short
Gonna have to disagree with ya, due to how much easier the splattershot is to use, and how much better the Splatershots spreads ink, as opposed to the super tight spread of the N-Zap.

My go to weapon is the N-Zap, but there no denying how useful a splattershot is, with a slightly better range
You actually share a similar view on the weapon that I do. However, the extra range the Splattershot has is the epitome of insignificant. They have the exact same attack range, and the spread of ink they leave on the ground is identical, with the N-Zap leaving more gaps in the ink unless you hold the trigger a little longer. What sets the N-Zap above the Splattershot is the Splat Bombs and Echolcator, two very useful tools in strategic play which the Splattershot doesn't have in either variant. The N-Zap has the option (when the special meter is over half full) to rush into both enemy territory and empty territory to get the Echolcator, use it, and continue spraying on turf and enemies(ink is refilled automatically by the Echolcator). Your team has all the momentum when an N-Zap player is going hard.

Reetrider

Inkling
I started using the N-ZAP a few days ago in Ranked and it feels like thats where this weapon shines with the right team. With the ninja squid ability and the echolocator its really easy to stalk if there's 1-2 teammates that play D.

Marilink

Inkling
NNID
altarofl
I'd really like to give this gun more of a shot since I absolutely love its design. But I've been playing a lot of Tentatek Splattershot and Jet Squelcher, so this one just didn't really come naturally to me. This week maybe I'll try some different strategies to make it work.

growly

Inkling
Quick question about echolocation - is there anyway to know when the opposition are using it on you?

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Quick question about echolocation - is there anyway to know when the opposition are using it on you?
A circle appears around your Inkling similar to the one that appears when you get hit with a Disruptor. It also makes a sound when it is launched, although I can't describe it

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
I actually tend to somewhat like the N-Zap for Turf Wars. First off, I am a really big fan of the high fire rate weapons in the game, and I think that the range of this particular weapon lends itself to being an extremely versatile weapon. One of the things that people need to understand is that you can get a lot more coverage if you shoot parallel to the ground. I find this weapon very useful as both a sniping tool when necessary and as a coverage weapon. Also, the Echolocator is a very good special and should not be underestimated.

In conclusion, I will choose the N-Zap for Arowana Mall and Bluefin Depot for the elevation differences (also, it is much easier to climb walls with a weapon that shoots in a line rather than a triangle or a roller), as well as Port Mackrel and sometimes Walleye Warehouse for the thin hallways.

Marilink

Inkling
NNID
altarofl
So I've been trying out the N-Zap a bit more lately, and I've really been enjoying it. I'm wondering if they will release another N-Zap variant with different subweapons--not that I dislike the current ones, but I feel like the gun might be better suited for different ones.

When it comes down to it, though, I can't help but feel that this gun just doesn't compare to the Tentatek Splattershot. I feel like I'm handicapping myself when I switch over to it. What advantages would the N-Zap have over the Tentatek?

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
When it comes down to it, though, I can't help but feel that this gun just doesn't compare to the Tentatek Splattershot. I feel like I'm handicapping myself when I switch over to it. What advantages would the N-Zap have over the Tentatek?
It just depends on personal preference. The N-Zap give you slightly less damage for a better fire rate. Then, there are different sub and special weapons. I, for one, tend to like more rapid fire weapons, and I'm more of a fan of Splat Bombs over Suction Bombs. I also really don't like the Inkzooka special for the amount of knockback and the small turf area it gives you. It's always good to know where your enemies are, and there's never really a bad time to use the Echolocator. So, I use the N-Zap.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
So I've been trying out the N-Zap a bit more lately, and I've really been enjoying it. I'm wondering if they will release another N-Zap variant with different subweapons--not that I dislike the current ones, but I feel like the gun might be better suited for different ones.
Yeah, they're going to put in the NZap89 at some point. It's like the current NZap, but orange and it comes with Sprinkler/Inkstrike instead of Splat Bomb/Echolocator. I think it'll be pretty good, if only for its great turf covering ability that comes from its rapid-fire, Sprinklers and probably-frequent Inkstrikes.

Yeah, I feel Tentatek is a bit better on balance, but the NZap85 makes a pretty good case for itself. It comes with a faster fire rate and a tighter spread (so more shots hit at the edge of your range), though it's a bit weaker, it has Splat Bombs for more immediate GTFO-or-get-splatted (usually the latter, in my experience) and it comes with Echolocator, and even if the other team runs Cold-Blooded to mostly neutralize its enemy-reveal, you still get an instant ink tank refill and can immediately start shooting and Splat Bombing again (yeah, the Bomb Rushes and Bubbler give you this and more with no way to neutralize their primary benefit (infinite sub-weapons and a shield, respectively), but still). Overall, I think which one is better just comes down to personal preference. For me, Tentatek only wins because I like Suction Bombs over Splat Bombs; their rapid-fires feel fairly similar to me, and while I prefer Echolocator to Inkzooka (the pushback on each shot is really annoying, though otherwise I like it) I don't get specials very often unless I've survived for a bit (not something that happens a lot) or I have 2 Special Charge Ups so that doesn't matter very much.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Tentatek Splattershot without Damage Up splats in 3 shots anything with up to 2 main Defense Ups and 4 shots everything else. N-Zap shoots a bit faster and splats in 4 shots anything with up to 3 main Defense Ups (can't test any more than that)

deepseadiva

Full Squid
I've been trying to develop an interesting strat with this gun due to its unique kit.

Focused on the Echlocator, with gear such as Special Charge Up and Tenacity, the goal is to resolve the special as often as possible. Out of all the weapons the two best suited for this job would be the NZap and also the Custom Splattershot Jr, both have the ideal ink spreading fire rate. The Jr notably has a better ink spread, and so it could in theory work better, but the NZap fits my preference of having a more offensive Sub in the Splatbombs (Jr has Disruptors).

I've only been playing with this idea today, but it's been proving effective. Having a constant stream of information against the enemy team is somewhat invaluable.

I've been playing this gun very similarly to the Tentatek Splattershot in that regard and I may come to the conclusion that the two as a pair on a team would be OPULENCE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom