• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

[October 10-11] INKSTORM I - EndGame Circuit - $500+ Prize Pool - Presented by EndGameTV

Njok

Bouncer
That's debatable, but let's face it: we're going to have to start implementing seeding at some point in time and I think most people can generally agree with the rankings we have now. Just my thoughts~
I am only bringing it up because i feel that it's too early to use seeding in general. There haven't been enough results imo to comfortably say those are the 8 best teams. Don't get me wrong, they might very well be. There are without a doubt some very strong teams on there. But whether or not i agree with this list is irrelevant to my point. There are going to be a lot of new teams coming up still. Other than that, rosters are going to still be changing because it's very unlikely that every team already found their ideal set up. Now i realize that this is always going to be the case and there isn't a way around that. But with the game, and more specific the update, still being so young i think it's going to be more so now than it will be in a few months. And i just think it's too soon to say that any team deserves a protected place in a draw, since that's essentially what you're doing. If we're all going to start seeding based off this list, which honestly doesn't explain itself on every point, we might actually turn it into a self fulfilling prophecy.

Now let me be clear about some things. Yes, i do realize that you guys are only seeding (protecting) the first 8 and i know that coming to the conclusion of this list being a self fulfilling prophecy is a huge leap. I just wanted to point out the problems that i see with using seeding so early on. Do with it what you will :)

That said, i am still looking forward to the tourney and just bring on SS-S then, we won't go down without a fight :D

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
To all those wondering about the seeding issue-

We just thought that the Power rankings are generally agreed upon within the community. It looks like a solid list. Are there other teams? Yes. Are we going to guarantee that the 8 we seed are going to be the top 8 in bracket? No.

It's something that we thought people would enjoy, and would make the tournament an overall better experience for everyone. We want there to be hype finals, not finals that are just there and everyone knows who's going to win. I'm not saying you guys don't think that, I'm just saying in general.

This said, the top 16 teams coming out of pools will be correctly seeded based on record in their pools. I think this makes sense overall. I don't think we've touched on that before, and I doubt there will be many people that argue with that.

Njok

Bouncer
So basically you just want to place 8 teams that you think are the best teams at the moment to make sure they don't eliminate eachother early on. That's fine and i am not arguing whether or not those are the best teams atm (i know alot agree and i do as well for the most part). Just realize that not everyone might agree with that and since you are asking a sign up fee that might make teams decide to skip this one.

I personally don't really care and will play either way. My point was that we shouldn't make a habit out of seeding yet, and especially not of this list.

I am not trying to offend anyone by the way. Just calling it how i see it.

EirikN

Full Squid
NNID
Novaxxe
So basically you just want to place 8 teams that you think are the best teams at the moment to make sure they don't eliminate eachother early on. That's fine and i am not arguing whether or not those are the best teams atm (i know alot agree and i do as well for the most part). Just realize that not everyone might agree with that and since you are asking a sign up fee that might make teams decide to skip this one.

I personally don't really care and will play either way. My point was that we shouldn't make a habit out of seeding yet, and especially not of this list.

I am not trying to offend anyone by the way. Just calling it how i see it.
No problem mate. Feedback is appreciated!

More than anything, I think it's so that a team never finds themself in a group with 2-3 overly impressive teams and have no way into bracket. Since top 2 advances, it allows other teams a better chance to gain more tournament experience and play more.

Last edited:

Prodigy

Inkling
NNID
vna_prodigy
Thank you.

Two things: Seeding, if it is going to be implemented, needs to start somewhere. When it is done properly (i.e. done to just make for more hype matches later in the tournament), the good teams with a low seed can still do well. In theory, it won't change the results much compared to just having randomized groups.

Releasing the maps the day of is not something I support. We're fortunate right now where there are only 3 game modes (I guess 4 if you count Turf War), but that could change in the future, let alone the sheer amount of maps that are used. While good teams will be practicing everything (like my team will be), not all teams will have the time to practice everything. Giving them the gametypes ahead of time gives them a better chance, and increases the skill of the whole tournament.

LittleSoundDJ

Full Squid
NNID
littlesounddj
My problem with the power rankings is that they don't factor in different teams within a squad. Spades is a very different team from Clubs. If we both enter do we get 1st and 2nd seed? what would you use to choose between the two of us? not even factoring in that at one point, SS had 4 teams. Would they have been top 4 seeds even though 2 of them didnt play any tournaments?

Basically I'm saying you have to seed by team, not squad.

Gi.

Senior Squid
NNID
OldboyNin
Why does it show as no team has signed up?

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
No problem mate. Feedback is appreciated!
It seems to me that feedback is appreciated, but mostly ignored/tossed out the window. Will this tourney even have a feedback thread?

EirikN

Full Squid
NNID
Novaxxe
I'm not sure why feedback threads are needed, especially when... nothing's happened. If you have something to tell us about how we can improve, let us know in this thread, which it's been made for. Alternatively, you can just hit us up on Discord. :P

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
I leave for one afternoon and evening. Only one!

My problem with the power rankings is that they don't factor in different teams within a squad. Spades is a very different team from Clubs. If we both enter do we get 1st and 2nd seed? what would you use to choose between the two of us? not even factoring in that at one point, SS had 4 teams. Would they have been top 4 seeds even though 2 of them didnt play any tournaments?

Basically I'm saying you have to seed by team, not squad.
And we will.

Just for our purposes and diversity and such, we're planning on seeding the 'top' team from each squad. If a squad in the power rankings enters more than one team, the better team (in your case, Spades) will be seeded while any lower teams (Clubs/Hearts/whatever) will be randomly placed. If it's 1 and 2 and we're not sure, we will assume 1.

This brings up another point that I don't think we've touched on yet. In this tournament, all teams will be randomly placed regardless of squad. This may mean that you have 2 teams from your squad in the same pool. We will do nothing to prevent this. If the bracket does come out clean, that was just a clean randomization.
Why does it show as no team has signed up?
Probably something with coding. I would not suggest going by that number.
It seems to me that feedback is appreciated, but mostly ignored/tossed out the window. Will this tourney even have a feedback thread?
Maybe. I might just turn this one into the feedback thread when it's all said and done. It won't be ignored and will be considered. You may have to remind us when we are accepting feedback about the topics you bring up now.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
So how do we know if we are entered or not?
For now just hit any of us up on skype or discord. My skype is hopedbyoshi. When the site is ready you will be able to check on there I believe.

Thank you.

Two things: Seeding, if it is going to be implemented, needs to start somewhere. When it is done properly (i.e. done to just make for more hype matches later in the tournament), the good teams with a low seed can still do well. In theory, it won't change the results much compared to just having randomized groups.

Releasing the maps the day of is not something I support. We're fortunate right now where there are only 3 game modes (I guess 4 if you count Turf War), but that could change in the future, let alone the sheer amount of maps that are used. While good teams will be practicing everything (like my team will be), not all teams will have the time to practice everything. Giving them the gametypes ahead of time gives them a better chance, and increases the skill of the whole tournament.
Yeah the idea was that the power rankings are generally pretty accurate for the top 8, and we don't want to have strong teams eliminated early on by other ones (because it makes for a less exciting spectator experience), or teams having no chance in their pool because 4 strong teams are in it. It benefits everyone in our view. Also to be clear we are taking the best team of the ones listed in power rankings, so like spades instead of clubs for squid squad. They could both be in the same pool or they could not, everything else will be random. We are not randomizing the bracket until every pool has non-duplicate teams like IoS.

Also as far as the maps thing, our thoughts behind that were that releasing them the day of is more fair to everyone and increases skill needed to win. If we released them early, then teams with a lot of time could just grind strats on them and easily beat teams that didn't have as much time due to stuff irl or whatever. It also means that teams would only practice specific gametypes, which isn't really good for the meta at this point. Therefore, releasing it day of lessens the whole grinding to win aspect because you would have to do that for every single gametype (hard to do with 4 hour rotating gametypes). It also helps the meta because it encourages people to not tunnel vision on a few gametypes for a month.

We do appreciate it, it's just that most of the stuff people are concerned about has already been debated in calls us TOs have been in, so we've already talked about the exact points brought up. That might be why some of our replies may come off a bit snarky, sorry about that. If you have any concerns about anything you can pm me on discord or skype (hopedbyoshi) and I can give you detailed explanations though.

Are you guys serious? That does not make any logical sense. You are telling me that I have to go through strats for every single map and mode combination just to be able to prepare my team properly?
This basically boils down to us thinking that adaptability takes more skill then just grinding maps. Adapting is heavily influenced by individual skill, experience, and the how well your team works together. To an extent, all grinding is, is teams just having lots of time on their hands and not necessarily being better than other teams.

Last edited:

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
For now just hit any of us up on skype or discord. Our skypes are in the OP. When the site is ready you will be able to check on there I believe.

Yeah the idea was that the power rankings are generally pretty accurate for the top 8, and we don't want to have strong teams eliminated early on by other ones (because it makes for a less exciting spectator experience), or teams having no chance in their pool because 4 strong teams are in it. It benefits everyone in our view. Also to be clear we are taking the best team of the ones listed in power rankings, so like spades instead of clubs for squid squad. They could both be in the same pool or they could not, everything else will be random. We are not randomizing the bracket until every pool has non-duplicate teams like IoS.

Also as far as the maps thing, our thoughts behind that were that releasing them the day of is more fair to everyone and increases skill needed to win. If we released them early, then teams with a lot of time could just grind strats on them and easily beat teams that didn't have as much time due to stuff irl or whatever. It also means that teams would only practice specific gametypes, which isn't really good for the meta at this point. Therefore, releasing it day of lessens the whole grinding to win aspect because you would have to do that for every single gametype (hard to do with 4 hour rotating gametypes). It also helps the meta because it encourages people to not tunnel vision on a few gametypes for a month.

We do appreciate it, it's just that most of the stuff people are concerned about has already been debated in calls us TOs have been in, so we've already talked about the exact points brought up. That might be why some of our replies may come off a bit snarky, sorry about that. If you have any concerns about anything you can pm me on discord or skype (hopedbyoshi) and I can give you detailed explanations though.

This basically boils down to us thinking that adaptability takes more skill then just grinding maps. Adapting is heavily influenced by individual skill, experience, and the how well your team works together. To an extent, all grinding is, is teams just having lots of time on their hands and not necessarily being better than other teams.
That makes sense. Thanks.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
For now just hit any of us up on skype or discord. Our skypes are in the OP. When the site is ready you will be able to check on there I believe.
I removed the skypes, so the only way to contact us is through the discord, sorry about that.

Uncle Herman

Inkling
NNID
InsertNameHerman
Alright, i'm back.
Just to say sorry for the whole mess i did on this post about how "competition is bad", i wasn't in a good mood that day (not salty, but rather depressed).

BonFire

Full Squid
NNID
rollmops99
Alright, i'm back.
Just to say sorry for the whole mess i did on this post about how "competition is bad", i wasn't in a good mood that day (not salty, but rather depressed).
Thanks for your apoligizing, its cool in the end, but if you have a bad day, then just don't post anything :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom