• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Port Mackerel: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Note: This thread will be in a constant state of WIP. Will be updated when new content becomes known.

Welcome to the Port Mackerel Analysis thread. Where we will try to gather and express as much info as we can on this stage.

This thread will hopefully find all sorts of strategies and cool details about this stage.

However, please note this is for confirmed content. For speculation, go here.

Port Mackerel

Overview

Not much is known yet but it does indeed take place in a port. It even has moving vehicles. Very tight spaces.

Inkopolis News Info:
Callie: "Holy Mackerel!"
Marie: "Sigh..."

Callie: "Making use of the containers here is crucial!"
Marie: "What's in those containers anyway? Maybe...CANDY?!"

Callie: "I've heard this can be a really romantic date spot."
Marie: "Um...it's not. Trust me."

Callie: "If you hide behind the crates all willy nilly, you're gonna get splatted!"
Marie: "Yuuup. I like to hide for a bit and catch my breath."

Callie: "Ok, Marie! Give us your very best tactical tip!"
Marie: " Hmm... Winning is temporary, but looking cool is forever!"

Callie: "This stage has visibility for days! A Charger would he totally money!"
Marie: "Word."

Strategies
-WIP-

Extras
-WIP-

Please help us find more info. I'll update the thread accordingly.

Last edited:

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
There are two moving platforms on the stage you can climb up, most of the top of the crates are uninkable and the moving platforms appear to be the only way to access them. Kelp Charger is a perfect fit for this stage, the narrow intersecting paths benefit both it's narrow but long firing range and the Ink Sprayer sub. Killer Whale is also amazing on this stage if you can time it with an Echolocation, so pairing Kelp Charger with something that has Echolocation is something to fear.

Four exits from your spawn point, top left, bottom left, bottom right, top right. For maximum coverage the four teammates should take a different one at the start.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I will say, I like this as a close quarters map better than walleye. This map also has a lot of interesting ways to traverse it. We also get our first "obstacle..." I mean if you can call it that. All it really does is potentially block your path, and even then you can just climb up it. Still, makes the map a whole lot more dynamic which I'm always happy to see.

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
I will say, I like this as a close quarters map better than walleye. This map also has a lot of interesting ways to traverse it. We also get our first "obstacle..." I mean if you can call it that. All it really does is potentially block your path, and even then you can just climb up it. Still, makes the map a whole lot more dynamic which I'm always happy to see.
I was so excited when I saw those moving platforms. At first I thought they spread the ink of whichever team controlled it, but after some more observation I concluded that wasn't the case. Or maybe it just applies for certain parts of it/ requires inking the whole thing?

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It is a great map. I thought charger would be terrible that but with all the narrow pathways, there is certainly an use for the weapon.

_Vicious_

Full Squid
NNID
Vicious09
grate map IMO the roller is the best for this map because its open

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
has more hallways than 2fort

but i don't think it's a bad map. there's a lot of emphasis on verticality with the moving vehicles, crates you can jump onto, and the ledges and ramps from your spawn. so i don't think the amount of corridors is a huge disadvantage to the map.

i still prefer walleye warehouse as a linear "deathmatch" map, though, since there's more routes available to you to get creative with. less stuff seems to come out of nowhere there.

ZypkerGaming

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ZypkerGaming
This is where the roller will shine.

There's not really a lot of open space, and no defined center. It seems like a series of crossroads, good for rollers. I can guess the space on top of those blocks will be killer.

Atlas

Inkling
NNID
macguffinman
This map is all about tight control, more so than the other maps. Grabbing that center space between the vehicles and locking it down is super-important and, for the first time, heavily in favor of the defending team. As someone looking to take territory, it's a lot easier to sneak around my opponents in every other map, but hard as hell to push through those three corridors. Breaking through the central defense can turn the tide of battle in a heartbeat though, making for some super-intense matches, and I like it a lot.

The hallways also mean chargers are more effective in this map, which is a nice touch.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I absolutely love this map. It forces confrontation, which If you ever asked be before if I wanted a map to do that I'd probably had said no. BUT ITS SO MUCH FUN! Love the moving vehicles! Neat that behind the spawn point is a good area to take over too. All in all my favorite map.

I'm also surprised, thought that water would play a factor here like arowana mall, but it doesn't.

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
It's really really interesting. Like, I hate Arowana Mall because of how it's really thin with little space to move around and flank and all that, so when I heard about how thin and low this map was I was terrified. But the maze of sorts created by all of the crates makes surprises constant, and defenses tight. Very strange map, it's definitely very different, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't fun.

I also just respect that it lets people go nuts with something other than a shooter. Rollers just got all of those luscious corners to peak around, and chargers love the thin halls, so props to that.

Chocoling

Pro Squid
NNID
Mystical-Tabby
theres a container you can jump on and then jump over to the other side (both ends) which i like. This is a really fun map and iv noticed that today - its always the second map.

dontcaresomuch

Inkling
NNID
EvanLaybourn91
The thing I love the most about this map so far is that it is seemingly easy to flee from a firefight you know you might not be able to win.

This has been the most helpful thing for me so far. The ability to retreat and collect myself and maybe find an alternate route to take is really awesome.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
The shower/shield sub is incredible here, never actually used it myself but had a LOT of trouble with people in the other team using it, it covers the corridors perfectly and forces you to retreat, giving opportunity for enemies to advance further.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
It's definitely something. My first match the car pushed me into an inkstrike! :P

NNID
superalice256
I really love how you can use the nooks and crannies to get a strategic edge on this map. I feel like people neglect looking at the gamepad and this map really forces you to do that, I can see rollers and splatter scopes dominating here.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I'd say it's like the Pac Man maze. You gotta be sneaky and control where your enemy is going (go go Splash Wall) and it's all right angles.

It's also really gigantic. Super jumping is important here. As is keeping an eye on the skies for anybody jumping down on you off the crates. The crates are balanced nicely by the fact that you can't ink them, though, so nobody can just hide up there all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom