• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

SCL 10: Wrath of the Squich King - Sunday January 24th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword

Squids and Squidettes:
We at SCL are proud to announce our tenth Splatoon Community League tournament-
SCL: Wrath of the Squich King (SCL bi-weekly 10)
Sunday January 24th at 1PM EST
Number of Signups: 26

I don't actually play WoW. Hearthstone was close enough to make that reference
We're back to bring you one more installment in our Single Elimination Biweekly Tournament Series: SCL- Wrath of the Squich King. Put your skills to the test once again in this Single elimination tournament on Sunday, January 24th at 1:00 PM EST! Fight to the death to win the favor of the Squich King. Or not. I love all of you either way.
How to Sign up

Then, you can leave a post in this thread telling us that your team has signed up, as well as the discord username of the representative who will be present on the discord channel during the tournament. This is mostly just to be able to doublecheck who's signed up or not in case something goes awry, and to reference discord representatives. Note that this is not mandatory, but I highly recommend doing it.

If you are unable to sign up through challonge for some reason just tell us here and we'll put you in. Also include your Discord Username in that post. But doing it the above way better ensures I don't make mistakes.

And if for whatever reason the links do not work, let me know. I doubt that will be the case.
Rules For Signups

Team members may only be on one team per tournament. Teams found to be running the same player will be approached and questioned. If the problem persists, then disciplinary action will be taken, possibly resulting in disqualification and/or in bans from future competitions. This will usually not be resorted to unless teams are found to be non-compliant.

every team may only play up to 8 different team members, and must have at least 4 team members, including the team captain. Squads with more than 8 players must split these players into different teams. EX: Splatoon community league has 16 people, so we would make two teams: SCL1 and SCL2, for example. These teams would be seperate.

How the Tournament will be Run
On January the 24th at 1 PM EST, teams are expected to be prepared to play. Discord representatives will need to be online in the Discord chat. where the TOs will be communicating with them. You can find a link to the Discord server at the bottom of this post.​
Teams will be asked to play against each other as laid out in the Challonge bracket which will be provided slightly ahead of time. This tournament is not taking place over an extended period of time. As such, teams are expected to remain active until they are knocked out of the tournament. If a team is not responsive when their match is set to be played, they will be disqualified from the tournament.

if your opponent is unresponsive, then do not delay and let the TO's know about the situation. Do not leave the tournament for extended periods of time unless necessary or unless you have a long break, and please let us know if you have to leave.

Games are played as a best of 5 set, until the top 4, which will be played as best of 7 sets.

We will be using Halo-Style Map Rotations in this tournament. In short, maps and modes are predetermined ahead of time. For more information on Halo Map Rotations rules, check out this thread. The list of maps to be used in this tournament can be found below.

You may also sub up to 2 players from your roster in between games, every time. You may of course sub in less than that or no one at all.

We do have a Bronze Match for this tournament.

Gametype List will be posted on discord in the tournament maps channel the day of.

Connection Rules

>If a team has at least one person drop in the course of the match, then that team may stop playing immediately and call for a replay. The same setup and player list must be used for the replay, except in the case where a person cannot reconnect for whatever reason, then that person may be swapped out. Matches can only be replayed in this manner once by each team, so any D/Cs in matches after that one must be played out. If the match ends very quickly afterwards so that it is very clear it wouldn't have made a difference in the results, then this rule cannot be invoked. If a team continues to play after a D/C it will be presumed they did not intend to call for a replay.

Also, if a large amount of people randomly D/C from both teams, both teams must stop playing and a replay will be played. This replay does not count as either team's replay.

We don't expect too many D/Cs in the tournament, and will be watching for teams that alledgedly D/C an overly large amount. If possible also get what proof you can in case a dispute is had.

We also need every d/c related replay to be reported directly to us so that we are aware of what happened, and so we can make sure no team seems to be abusing this rule round to round.

If your game is having lag, play on. If you want to report extremely laggy to the point of being unplayable games, after you get the evidence you need, such as video, if you have to set it to upload or something please continue and finish the set anyway. In most situations we will make you play on, and this saves time. Switch hosts, check your internet connections and do whatever else you can to try to alleviate the problem on your own as well.

Reporting Problems or Asking Questions

Players will be expected to provide evidence of any bad sportsmanship, rule breaking, or otherwise, preferably through screenshots taken with a phone or from a livestream or something. Depending on the infraction, punishments will be given out as needed.

If you are caught lying or faking evidence, you will be disqualified, your team will be disbanded, and the team captain will be banned indefinitely from SCL and all our future tournaments, unless another player is proven to be the one behind it, in which case he/she will be banned instead. Everyone else on the team will receive a warning for a certain period of time. Methods will be used to check accounts we expect to be alts of banned players. Bans will extent to NNIDs and IGNs as well, and a banlist will be made as soon as the first person is banned. Infraction history will also be kept, and worse sentences may be given out in the future if the player has been found to be a repeat offender.

List of TOs for this tournament:
@Fightersword - Head TO
@Aweshucks - Head TO whenever he hosts the topic or when I'm not around
@Flying_Tortoise - Sub TO/commentator
@GameGalaxy64 - sub TO
@WydrA -- sub TO

Go to Me or Aweshucks first. We tend to be the most available.

Important Links:
Discord Server
Bracket - Won't be seeded until day of
Note: We are taking a week off after this one, and then moving to saturday. The SCL team has an easier time working with saturday rather than sunday.

Last edited:

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Note: We are taking a week off after this one, and then moving to saturday. The SCL team has an easier time working with saturday rather than sunday.
I just wanted to bring more attention to this. Starting with SCL 11, our tournaments will be moving to Saturdays. We feel that this works better for our schedules, and hopefully for yours too

RocketClauncher

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RocketClauncher
Moving to Saturday? That stinks. One of the reasons I liked SCL is because it offered a different time slot other than noon est on Saturdays which every other tournament does..

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
I understand what you're saying. We understand that it sucks for people that can only play on sundays or who would rather play on sundays.

We originally chose Sunday because we planned on our tournaments being smaller. We started with a 16 team cap and kept it that way for a long time. Being a smaller tournament, we didn't want to conflict or compete with the major tournaments that were run on Saturdays that had up to 64 teams. We felt we would have no problems running on Sundays because of the small size, which meant that the tournaments would not run as long. SCL 1 took only two hours to complete.

However, we are now running tournaments with upwards of 40 teams. Tournaments are running much longer (shoutouts to SCL Holiday Special). Believe it or not, us TOs actually have lives. Most of us are students, which means we may have hours of homework to do on Sundays, as well as a social life (jk, I don't have a social life). We also may have other obligations on Sundays. For instance, my smash local is run on Sundays, and it's no fun missing that. Some of us have church. The SCL team recently discussed this, and found that Saturdays are more convenient and open for just about all of us.

We have been discussing moving to Saturdays for a while, but never took action on it. What convinced us to finally change was Leagues Under the Ink choosing a time that conflicted with us for their default match time. We talked with them and it became evident that there was no solution where we stayed on Sundays and both parties were happy with the outcome. So we decided to move forward on doing Saturdays.

There is some good news here though. In the past, we have been very conservative with our rules and format in order to keep our tournament at an appropriate runtime. Now, however, we have a more open time-slot and can work towards growing our tournaments. Could this mean the return of double elimination?

The biggest problem that we face is conflicting with other tournaments. Running on Sundays, we very rarely had to worry about other tournaments conflicting with us. But now that we're running on Saturdays we drastically increase the odds of happening on the same day as other tournaments. This is why we're announcing the change more than a month ahead of time. Starting with SCL 11 on February 13th, we will be running tournaments every other Saturday. We hope that running on a consistent schedule we will be able to avoid conflicts. Our dates can be predicted theoretically months ahead of time. We also will continue to have an open line of communication with other TOs so they know the situation.

Edit: I want to clarify that I hold no ill will towards Leagues Under the Ink. I wish them the best of luck and am excited to see how it turns out

Last edited:

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Hey guys, just a little over a week left until game day. We're up to 5, which always makes me antsy until the last few days when a million teams sign up.

Also, if you guys would be interested, fill out this form about your team for SCL's commentary teams. It's by no means mandatory, but will give the commentary team a lot more to talk about if they commentate over one of your matches, as well as material to talk about before and after the match. You can find that Here

Either way squids and squidettes, I'll see you on game day.

Gi.

Senior Squid
NNID
OldboyNin
Saturday? That's silly guys, I love the SCL series, as many others do, and if you move to Saturdays you are only interfering with other tournament series. It's a mistake guys. Why not another day of the week?

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Saturday? That's silly guys, I love the SCL series, as many others do, and if you move to Saturdays you are only interfering with other tournament series. It's a mistake guys. Why not another day of the week?
I posted our reasons for moving from sundays to saturdays earlier in the thread, and don't want to repeat myself. As for moving to other days of the week, that's really not an option. We all work or go to school full-time. We just don't have the time to run a tournament on a weekday.

I sincerely hope that this is not a dealbreaker for you. Squidkids has been a very consistent team for SCL and I would love to see you guys continue to register, even on a new day

Gi.

Senior Squid
NNID
OldboyNin
Read it all, if you guys switch at least one of the saturdays to double elim and keep one single elim that would be a nice compromise to the schedule change.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Happy Wednesday cephalopods. We're up to 14 at the time of posting. Looks to be another good, clean tournament like our others have (mostly) been. Can't wait to see you all on game day.

Again, don't forget we're taking a break after this one and are going to jump over to the other weekend day for number eleven. But you don't have to worry about any of that now. Just make sure you've polished your .96 gals and other weapons and are ready to kick squid butt sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom