• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Search and Destroy Game Type?

ProfessorKony

Inkster Jr.
Ever since Splatoon came out, I thought it would be really interesting to have a game mode that played like Search and Destroy, a game mode that is quite popular in FPS genres. For those who don't know what it is, I'll describe the game mode quickly.

Each member of a team only has one life. So once they die, they can't respond. One team's objective is to plant a bomb and the other team has to either take out all the members of the opposing team before they can plant, or defuse the bomb once it's planted. There are multiple rounds, and the first team to win a certain amount of rounds win the game.

I believe that this could be a great, strategic game type that Ranked Battles could include. While it would take teamwork, it would also require individual skill. I believe that there are pros and cons to this game type if it were in Splatoon and I will list them.

Cons:
Camping- I feel that if this game mode were to exist, a popular tactic would be to hide in your own ink for the majority of the round until someone appeared.
Communication- Since there is no VC in Splatoon, it would be a bit tricky discuss strategy with teammates.

Pros:
Pace- Since Splatoon is a very fast-paced game, where ink is splattered all around the map, I think a change of pace would make things more interesting. This game mode would be played slower than other game modes such as Splat Zones or Tower Control.
Weapon Variety- There are many weapons to choose from, Rollers, Shooters, and Chargers. Almost all of these weapons in the game have the potential to be use in this game.

While there are more Pros and Cons to the game type, these are the ones that I feel important to focus on. I truly believe that this game mode would be great to implement to Splatoon. Although this shooter is not like any other, there are also some ideas and game types that typical shooters have that would go so well with this game. Do you have any pros and cons about this idea? Any other opinions? Please let me know! I would love to hear back from everyone regarding this topic.

Stay Fresh!

Cashur

Inkling
NNID
bossert
The only major issue I see with this game mode is that all other modes and maps in the game are designed so that it is completely fair, but in search and destroy each team has a different objective.

ProfessorKony

Inkster Jr.
The only major issue I see with this game mode is that all other modes and maps in the game are designed so that it is completely fair, but in search and destroy each team has a different objective.
Well Search and Destroy is slightly different on numerous games, but I believe that Call of Duty's formula of, alternating after every round would work best. So let's say if a team would have to win 4 rounds to win the match, there would be 9 rounds total in order for the last round to determine the winner. and whether a team gets offense or defense could be determined by which teams have more splats and more "bombs planted".

My concern is that many people will argue that by adding this game mode then Splatoon will become similar to any regular shooter that's out, but this game mode in Splatoon has so much potential. The way this game works will allow it to throw a good twist from the traditional Search and Destroy game mode.

ProfessorKony

Inkster Jr.
Well Search and Destroy is slightly different on numerous games, but I believe that Call of Duty's formula of, alternating after every round would work best. So let's say if a team would have to win 4 rounds to win the match, there would be 9 rounds total in order for the last round to determine the winner. and whether a team gets offense or defense could be determined by which teams have more splats and more "bombs planted".

My concern is that many people will argue that by adding this game mode then Splatoon will become similar to any regular shooter that's out, but this game mode in Splatoon has so much potential. The way this game works will allow it to throw a good twist from the traditional Search and Destroy game mode.
I did the math incorrectly, oops! Lol. If a team needed 4 round wins there would be 7 total rounds. Haha, my apologies.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
It sounds rather fun, but I dunno if I like only having one life. It's only really a problem because of the high damage in Splatoon, the rounds would be over extremely quickly most of the time. Maybe two or three lives would work better?
Also, I'm not sure how this would work on some maps. Where exactly would the bomb be planted on each map? Especially Port Mackerel and Bluefin Depot, there's no real center area there (I'm assuming the center is where the bomb would go; Mackerel's center has a bunch of crisscrossing hallways instead of an open area, and Bluefin has those two areas in the center instead of a single one). And Saltspray Rig in particular seems like it could pose a problem since both teams start really close to each other. Would there be any alterations to the maps, like putting up inkable blocks like they do in Splat Zones and Tower Control or uninkable walls like they do in some Octo Valley levels? I'd put up a divider on the half of Saltspray with the spawn points, but that's all the possibly-necessary changes I can think of.
Admittedly, Splatoon is the only shooter I've ever played, so I dunno much about this kind of mode (or most normal shooter game modes, the most I know is from playing Halo for a few weeks at a summer camp like almost a decade back), but your idea sounds neat, outside those couple of nitpicks.

ProfessorKony

Inkster Jr.
It sounds rather fun, but I dunno if I like only having one life. It's only really a problem because of the high damage in Splatoon, the rounds would be over extremely quickly most of the time. Maybe two or three lives would work better?
Also, I'm not sure how this would work on some maps. Where exactly would the bomb be planted on each map? Especially Port Mackerel and Bluefin Depot, there's no real center area there (I'm assuming the center is where the bomb would go; Mackerel's center has a bunch of crisscrossing hallways instead of an open area, and Bluefin has those two areas in the center instead of a single one). And Saltspray Rig in particular seems like it could pose a problem since both teams start really close to each other. Would there be any alterations to the maps, like putting up inkable blocks like they do in Splat Zones and Tower Control or uninkable walls like they do in some Octo Valley levels? I'd put up a divider on the half of Saltspray with the spawn points, but that's all the possibly-necessary changes I can think of.
Admittedly, Splatoon is the only shooter I've ever played, so I dunno much about this kind of mode (or most normal shooter game modes, the most I know is from playing Halo for a few weeks at a summer camp like almost a decade back), but your idea sounds neat, outside those couple of nitpicks.
Well I think having only one life will allow players to think more strategically. Besides, since search and destroy is typically a slower gamemode, unless you rush straight to the other side of the map, then you won't die instantly. In regards to the bomb placement, bombs sites aren't located right in the middle for the most part, and also in traditional search there are two bomb sites. I believe that for Port Mackerel, the locations where the splatzones are would be just fine. and yes, I believe that adding additional blocks to the maps would work well. The reason why I feel this gamemode work so well is because of the game mechanics of splatoon. If you want to get around the map, the best way to do so is to splat the ground and swim in your ink. If you do this enemies will be able to see where your ink is and be able to use that as information in game. Whereas you can also decide to play slow, and stealthy, but you probably wont get around much if you play like that. It's pretty much risk and reward. That would be the two types of strategies that come to mind and each have advantages and weaknesses.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Well I think having only one life will allow players to think more strategically. Besides, since search and destroy is typically a slower gamemode, unless you rush straight to the other side of the map, then you won't die instantly. In regards to the bomb placement, bombs sites aren't located right in the middle for the most part, and also in traditional search there are two bomb sites. I believe that for Port Mackerel, the locations where the splatzones are would be just fine. and yes, I believe that adding additional blocks to the maps would work well. The reason why I feel this gamemode work so well is because of the game mechanics of splatoon. If you want to get around the map, the best way to do so is to splat the ground and swim in your ink. If you do this enemies will be able to see where your ink is and be able to use that as information in game. Whereas you can also decide to play slow, and stealthy, but you probably wont get around much if you play like that. It's pretty much risk and reward. That would be the two types of strategies that come to mind and each have advantages and weaknesses.
Ah, I think I get it. That sounds pretty good. Hopefully they'll add something like that at some point. A slower game type would definitely stand out in a fast-paced game like Splatoon.

ProfessorKony

Inkster Jr.
Ah, I think I get it. That sounds pretty good. Hopefully they'll add something like that at some point. A slower game type would definitely stand out in a fast-paced game like Splatoon.
Yes :D well it was great to get your opinions on this, thanks again!

superman

Senior Squid
If don't think that'll work to well due to the ink mechanics. You can't really be sneaky without giving away your position since there's a clear "front" so to speak. Strategies would be revealed by simply looking at the gamepad. Even if it would be turned off for this mode it wouldn't be hard to figure out what the attacking team is up to.

IMO Splatoon is a much better fit for traditional arena fps type modes even though I don't think flat out team deathmatch or capture the flag would even be fun as you can't have a player take a tank role without armor pickups and the like, it's hard for me to make out strategy that would give you a good advantage other than aiming better than the opponent.
Domination (splat zones) or Nintendo's take on one flag ctf with rainmaker seem like a very good fit for me.

ProfessorKony

Inkster Jr.
If don't think that'll work to well due to the ink mechanics. You can't really be sneaky without giving away your position since there's a clear "front" so to speak. Strategies would be revealed by simply looking at the gamepad. Even if it would be turned off for this mode it wouldn't be hard to figure out what the attacking team is up to.

IMO Splatoon is a much better fit for traditional arena fps type modes even though I don't think flat out team deathmatch or capture the flag would even be fun as you can't have a player take a tank role without armor pickups and the like, it's hard for me to make out strategy that would give you a good advantage other than aiming better than the opponent.
Domination (splat zones) or Nintendo's take on one flag ctf with rainmaker seem like a very good fit for me.
I totally forgot about the map that's shown on the gamepad, haha. Very good point. I just want a game mode that's similar to Search and Destroy. I think that traditional search has lots of potential, but I feel as if developers were to incorporate a game mode like this, they could throw in some type of twist to make it different. Long story short, I really want a game mode where you only have a limited amount of lives so you're forced to play more careful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom