• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Sloshing Machine's Capability

Kaze

Pro Squid
The Sloshing Machine may be outmatched by the regular Slosher's better fire rate and consistent 2 hit splat, but the Sloshing Machine still has few neat features shown in these 4 GIFs.

GIF 1: Sloshing Machine AoE
GIF 2: Sloshing Machine Splat Bomb Combo
GIF 3: Sloshing Machine Arc ( your view )
GIF 4: Sloshing Machine Arc ( different view )

Sorry for the brightness in the 2 first GIFs, I'm pretty new to video editing... :oops:

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Well, what do you know. The vortex is indeed capable of getting foes where they least expect it. Nice showing off those GIFs, though I do agree about the brightness issue on the first two.

Kaze

Pro Squid
Well, what do you know. The vortex is indeed capable of getting foes where they least expect it. Nice showing off those GIFs, though I do agree about the brightness issue on the first two.
sorry about that, I'm just so new & bad at recording and editing videos...

Jeffrizzel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeffrizzel
I'm much better with the tri slosher. I'll stick with that, but I'll try that bomb trick

shy

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2855-0246-7213
I honestly prefer the sloshing machine over the other sloshers. I had no idea it was capable such things.

Nousha

Full Squid
NNID
NoushaKhanom
That's really cool! I'm pretty good with this weapon but I didn't know it was capable of that.

The Meme Lord

Inkster Jr.
NNID
gravityfallsboy
Very interesting. I might pick up the Sloshing Machine to try this at its fullest capability.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Aw man, just saw this thread, specifically gif 2, and realized my secret has been revealed ever since last year D=

Sloshing machine is a power-zoner yo'

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
People say it's "outmatched", but this thread perfectly illustrates how the weapon still has it's strong points regardless of being "outmatched". Every weapon can be an utter terror in the right hands. Yay balance!

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Beware the sloshing machine wielder my squid!

They may be few. It may not be their main. But there's an 80% chance they know how to use it. And if that's the case, then there's no perch, wall, or obstacle that can protect you from them.

Just be grateful they're not as prevalent as blasters have become. Still wish we could get some useful minor buff though.

veenickz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
veenickz
Once i got the hang of it, Sloshing Machine had become my main. The vortex thing is very convenient, making the weapon like semi-blaster. Double splat is kinda easy because of it. And the direct hit sounds very satisfying. The damage is also very consistent, with one Damage Up sub: 1 splat + 1 vortex, or 3 vortex will always splat the enemy. Eventually i almost never use Damage Up with this weapon, though.

The shot leaves a decent trail of ink, the weapon has decent ink efficiency, good range, decent TTK, and bomb rush gives it strong turf control. This weapon is very good at guarding path. But for me the best feature is its ink characteristic makes it a very good anti ledge weapon.

I guessed this weapon can do thing explained in gif 3&4 but i havent gotten the correct range and angle for that. Does anyone has tips for that?

Kaze

Pro Squid
Once i got the hang of it, Sloshing Machine had become my main. The vortex thing is very convenient, making the weapon like semi-blaster. Double splat is kinda easy because of it. And the direct hit sounds very satisfying. The damage is also very consistent, with one Damage Up sub: 1 splat + 1 vortex, or 3 vortex will always splat the enemy. Eventually i almost never use Damage Up with this weapon, though.

The shot leaves a decent trail of ink, the weapon has decent ink efficiency, good range, decent TTK, and bomb rush gives it strong turf control. This weapon is very good at guarding path. But for me the best feature is its ink characteristic makes it a very good anti ledge weapon.

I guessed this weapon can do thing explained in gif 3&4 but i havent gotten the correct range and angle for that. Does anyone has tips for that?
Ledge splatting is pretty simple, all you have to do is to be at the right distance shown in gif 3 and the sloshing machine projectile will start falling straight downward after a set distance shown in gif 4.

If you're too close the ledge you can aim upwards to keep the vortex closer to the wall, but being closer to the ledge puts you at risk of getting splatted by a quick roller player so being at a distance when ledge splatting is safer.

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
For the distance it's really just the same than other weapons: practice.

I like playing the sloshing as it's really fun. But as I said in other threads I believe the weapon is just a bit weaker than others, so you wouldn't see it in competitive (or very rarely).

For instance, from my point of view, it's pretty strong on Skatepark. My thinking is that the map allows short and middle range to get in their distance quite easily, and it's the single best weapon to kill people hiding on the snipe. It's better than blasters because obviously, gravity. But the problem is, luna is even stronger on this map. And that's like this in every map I thought of. Each time I think "oh, sloshing should be good on this", I then think "but if it's true then this weapon (a blaster mainly) will be even better".

I believe it's because blasters have a very consistent 2HKO. I mean, what is more scary: playing a good sloshin' user who will splat you in 2-3 shots consistently, or fighting a good luna who will splat you in a faster 2HKO and some 1HKO, and has the respawn-jump option? The second is (at least) viable on any map, and will still be viable on maps where the sloshing machine is good...

Though well, as with any weapon, when the player is good it's still scary.

Stuffs I saw so far:
- lots of damage up ("easy way" I guess), I wouldn't recommend it.
- lots of defense up (quite interesting)

I personanly tried:
- ink stuff, allowing more bomb combo (I liked it)
- special stuff with some bomb range, cause splat rush is still very strong and it gives some more power to the user I feel, but still prefer the more balance ink option

About ink efficiency, depending on how much you use the bombs, it can be a real problem.

Maps I believe the sloshing machine is interesting: Blackbelly, Bluefin.

There are others I have in mind but well, even on these two, a blaster in easier. And being easier will give more options (especially powerplays). About bluefin, it's because the weapon is good at killing people in the two mid fights.

veenickz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
veenickz
Well of course i need to be in the right distance, but how do i know that? There are 3 possibilities when trying that: the shot is too short, right distance, or too far. If its too short then i know it, from visual and sound. But knowing whether its too far or just right distance is kinda difficult. I tried in recon mode and what i found out is, if the shot is just right, it makes very subtle sound of hitting the ground. But im sure in real match it would be very hard to hear that sound

As for being competitive.. everytime i play i always meet at least one other person using this weapon in S+ lobby, so its fairly competitive i guess. It has more user than H-3, at least

Comparison with blasters, you have a point there. But imo with this range, this weapon should be compared to longer ranged blasters. For me CRB gives me harder time than Luna, and they are quite popular nowadays

For gears, most of the time i use Ink Resistance, Tenacity, and one Swim Speed Up. The rest can be anything, i usually use either Quick Respawn or Ink Saver Main

Imho the only slosher class that can match Sloshing Machine is the vanilla Slosher, because its Burst Bomb raise its TTK drastically. But in 1v1 situation between sloshers, usually the one giving first hit wins

Kaze

Pro Squid
Well of course i need to be in the right distance, but how do i know that? There are 3 possibilities when trying that: the shot is too short, right distance, or too far. If its too short then i know it, from visual and sound. But knowing whether its too far or just right distance is kinda difficult. I tried in recon mode and what i found out is, if the shot is just right, it makes very subtle sound of hitting the ground. But im sure in real match it would be very hard to hear that sound

As for being competitive.. everytime i play i always meet at least one other person using this weapon in S+ lobby, so its fairly competitive i guess. It has more user than H-3, at least

Comparison with blasters, you have a point there. But imo with this range, this weapon should be compared to longer ranged blasters. For me CRB gives me harder time than Luna, and they are quite popular nowadays

For gears, most of the time i use Ink Resistance, Tenacity, and one Swim Speed Up. The rest can be anything, i usually use either Quick Respawn or Ink Saver Main

Imho the only slosher class that can match Sloshing Machine is the vanilla Slosher, because its Burst Bomb raise its TTK drastically. But in 1v1 situation between sloshers, usually the one giving first hit wins
You just need to practice and get a feel for the right distance, If you have a good friend playing Splatoon you can do a 1 vs 1 private battle to practice it on flounder heights, just tell them to stay on the wall while you practice, you will hear a sound of hitting someone if you're doing it right.

edit: I almost forgot, if you look closely at gif 3 you can see me standing on the shadow and I'm landing my ledge splat hits.

Last edited:

Kaze

Pro Squid
I personally use x2 Damage Up mains and x3 Damage Up subs with my Sloshing Machine, and the leftover abilities goes into Swim Speed Up or something else.

Here are the reasons why I'm using Damage Ups:

1: It lets you counter Defense Up players so you always splat them in 2 - 3 hits instead of 2 - 4 hits.

2: You can actually 1 hit splat players with a direct shot if they are in your ink for only 0.5 second, if they have ink resistance it takes 1 second before you can 1 hit splat them. Keep in mind that you need x2 mains and x3 subs of Damage Up and that x2 Defense Up mains or more can counter this unless they're really hurt.
( you can also 2 hit splat with non-direct hits if the enemy player were in your ink for 0.5 second )

3: If you're using the default Sloshing Machine, your Damage Ups will let your Splat Bomb destroy Splash Walls with ease, you will also be able to solo break the Rainmaker Shield with your Splat Bomb Rush a lot easier with that extra Damage Boost.

Last edited:

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
@veenickz: What I mean by "competitive" is "tournament with strong teams". S+ is just... S+. You can find everything at S+ level, even guys going S+99 with classic inkbrushes and unrerolled 1 star stuff. The players are good, but that doesn’t mean their weapon are on par with others.

When I compared the machine with the luna, it was about splat and splat rush. But I kept on purpose sentences with “blasters” without saying which one. My thinking is the following: take a map where you think the machine is good. Look at all the blaster. Then you will find one as good or better. The comparison with the luna is still interesting because of how fast the luna kills.

@Kaze: You can’t really train the right distance with just one map (Flounder) and one situation (guy on the wall). Most maps will have several locations where your vortex can be useful, and you need to have a feel for most of them. That comes with practice, and it’s not that different from the other weapons in the end. Maybe the best way is to play TC and focus on killing the carriers with “direct by above” shots.

I’m not too sure but I have a feeling these shots are easier when you’re aiming someone who is above but “close”. For instance, sniper spot on Ancho-V from below, and such.

The Meme Lord

Inkster Jr.
NNID
gravityfallsboy
I've been playing the Sloshing Machine and it has a lot potential. The range is superior for a Slosher and paired with Damage Up, it can get a ton of kills.

Kaze

Pro Squid
@binx I know... I picked flounder heights because you can ledge splat pretty much anywhere on the map, and with point sensor or a teammate with echolocator it makes it even easier to ledge splat during normal matches there.

You're also right, going for chargers or enemy players that are above you and close to the ledge are easier to get, but a Blaster can do the same so it comes down to what else you want to be able to do that match.

Blasters can ledge splat downwards too, but you will only hit players close to the top of the wall, while Sloshing Machine's vortex hitbox is active all the way to the bottom of the wall, so even if they try to escape you will usually splat them before they can get away.

I also know that Sloshing Machine have many different vantage points on almost every map, which is why I use Sloshing Machine not only in Tower Control, but also in Rainmaker and Splat Zones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom