• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Socal's first Offline Tournament Experience: Nintendo Really Needs to Step Up

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
On 9/19/15, Socal had it's first offline tournament. It was a failure.

The venue was something very similar to a LAN center, which had great internet. (If you know what venue I am talking about, please do not give the name anywhere in the responses, as they were extremely apologetic and I do not feel it would be right to give their venue a bad name when they were only trying to do something no one in socal had tried to do).

The purpose of this post is to inform those that are considering doing offline tournaments, what needs to be avoided, and what Nintendo needs to change if this game wants an offline scene (basically reaffirm that we need LAN for this to be a reality).

So the way the event tried to handle the even was by having 1 setup (8 TV's, 8 wii u's, 8 game discs). The event was to have 4v4's.

How connections were done: through strictly wifi. No wifi ethernet adapters were used. There was no 2nd router specifically for the 8 wii u's (so no WLAN). Just the wii through the venue's building.

Problems:
1) Trying to get the 8 wii u's to join into a private lobby was nearly impossible. 2 hours was spent trying to get this solved. Having one person enter at a time was the only way to acheive this, if all 8 tried to conect at the same time, usually 2 of the wii u's would get a communication error.
2) When all 8 were finally in a lobby, the match lasted 30 seconds until the "connection unstable" text appeared on about 6 of the TV screens. People ended up DC'ing.

What could have gone wrong:
-Was it a bandwidth issue? This was what was commonly believed by a large amount (including myself), however at the time this was happening there were about 10 LAN stations ative with customers who were playing WoW, CS:GO, etc. without any problems. None of them disconnected or experienced any lag.
Rebuttal: However most likely those systems were connected via ethernet, which would avoid being affected by the 8 wii u's I believe. However, there are a lot of people out there that asy the wii u's ethernet LAN adapter doesnt help out connection all that much anyways. So would it still be a bandwidth issue?

-Dividing up the packet of information. So I was talking to the Tech person who was trying to solve the issue. I asked what could be the reason for the tough time connecting & DC's from the lobby (I will try to repeat what he said to the best of my ability but I am not that computer savvy, so if there appear to be some errors somewhere please correct me and I will edit them). He replied with this, When multiple wii u's are in one venue , all of them will go to Nintendo's server (the server to get information, Splatoon doesn not have a dedicated server) and request the same packet of information because it is a P2P network. However the 8 wii u's will end up dividing the data and with not enough data from the packet, the game becomes unstable and there results a DC.
To me this means there can not possibly be any offline tournament until LAN is patched into Splatoon.

Will having a dedicated router to the setup solve the issues? I asked this of the IT guy and he said he wouldn't know until he did some more research on it & and would let me know.
It definitely begs the question of how was Nintendo able to host offline tournament or offline events that had multiple setups (each having 8 wii u's, tv's, and game discs). I believe it is the dedicated routers with ethernet connection that allowed them to carry out their events. If someone more knowledgeable has an answer & hopefully a source then I will edit it right here.

Don't We Need a Better Solution?
Let's say we do need a router per setup, this is very annoying to have to buy multiple routers and then learn how to setup those routers to a venue's internet (when most likely they wouldn't want you messing around with their settings).
-This could all be easily avoided by Nintendo patching in LAN like Microsoft did with Halo: the Master Chief Collection. They apparently patched in LAN, had some troubles, fixed them, & now have no troubles with it at all.

--------------------------------------------
If anyone would like to correct me on the knowledge provided, or have a response to questions, definitely go ahead and reply.
-I asked the venue's tech person to send me more info as I asked more questions. He has been very busy but has reassured me that he is still trying to do the research he told me he would do.
I realize the tournament was a little less than a month ago, but I have been very busy and wanted to let others know about the experience

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
I imagine there'd be a lot of interference with 8 wii us in close proximity trying to broadcast the same packets at the same rates. While a single wifi connection might not be that much different from a single wired connection, multiple wifi connections is a nightmare.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
Seeing as how Nintendo has had their own tournaments on streams before, it seems like they should have a LAN mode. I hope they will add some sort of LAN feature in the future.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Seeing as how Nintendo has had their own tournaments on streams before, it seems like they should have a LAN mode. I hope they will add some sort of LAN feature in the future.
Yeah, aren't they doing LAN for their million dollar tourney?

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
So I don't know if Nintendo changed it however at Nintendo's Messfest (a splatoon event at Santa Monica), I talked to the people and they said that the setup is just the wii u's hooking up to a router. This is basically WLAN. however I am not sure if they had a router for each setup. Because there were 3 stations
edit: Atm, I have not heard of a LAN in Splatoon

Right Whale

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Ciano365
They thought that 8 WiiU's connected to the same WIRELESS internet would not result in several communication errors? C'mon, no matter how good the Wi-Fi was I don't believe it could handle 8 WiiU's playing a multiplayer game in close proximity. Not meaning to offend the organizers, they should have put more thought into this. Offline tourneys should wait until a LAN feature is added, no point trying to rush the offline scene.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
They thought that 8 WiiU's connected to the same WIRELESS internet would not result in several communication errors? C'mon, no matter how good the Wi-Fi was I don't believe it could handle 8 WiiU's playing a multiplayer game in close proximity. Not meaning to offend the organizers, they should have put more thought into this. Offline tourneys should wait until a LAN feature is added, no point trying to rush the offline scene.
Yah wireless wasn't too smart, but it was rly bad so I questioned if even wired connection could solve the problem. But it appears that the troubles of wifi are basically multiplied by 8. Most likely WLAN should work but its such a hassle. Do we know if we'll need one router per setup? i mean a common router only has about 4 ethernet ports :/ so mb an expensive router can have 8 ports

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
Yah wireless wasn't too smart, but it was rly bad so I questioned if even wired connection could solve the problem. But it appears that the troubles of wifi are basically multiplied by 8. Most likely WLAN should work but its such a hassle. Do we know if we'll need one router per setup? i mean a common router only has about 4 ethernet ports :/ so mb an expensive router can have 8 ports
sometimes using multiple routers can cause conflicts with NAT and other junk. but there some expensive WLAN (8-port) routers, and ones that are strictly for Ethernet. one I found that was on the cheaper side was " TP LINK TL-R860 Advanced 8-port Cable/DSL Router, 1 WAN Port, 8 LAN Ports" ($32-$26).

Though I think waiting out for a LAN patch would be best. Wii U's network in general is really really awful.

Tons of NAT issues, Lack of dedicated servers, and a ton of other things.

Though trying a few methods out, as a test to see which would manage to work wouldn't hurt either.

It's a shame it didn't go well though :c

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
Yeah, aren't they doing LAN for their million dollar tourney?
I don't know much about that, but I'd hope they are.
So I don't know if Nintendo changed it however at Nintendo's Messfest (a splatoon event at Santa Monica), I talked to the people and they said that the setup is just the wii u's hooking up to a router. This is basically WLAN. however I am not sure if they had a router for each setup. Because there were 3 stations
edit: Atm, I have not heard of a LAN in Splatoon
That's lame. I was hoping that maybe they have been working on a way to get LAN to work. Hopefully they will include it in a later update.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
sometimes using multiple routers can cause conflicts with NAT and other junk. but there some expensive WLAN (8-port) routers, and ones that are strictly for Ethernet. one I found that was on the cheaper side was " TP LINK TL-R860 Advanced 8-port Cable/DSL Router, 1 WAN Port, 8 LAN Ports" ($32-$26).

Though I think waiting out for a LAN patch would be best. Wii U's network in general is really really awful.

Tons of NAT issues, Lack of dedicated servers, and a ton of other things.

Though trying a few methods out, as a test to see which would manage to work wouldn't hurt either.

It's a shame it didn't go well though :c
yah very true.
I don't know much about that, but I'd hope they are.

That's lame. I was hoping that maybe they have been working on a way to get LAN to work. Hopefully they will include it in a later update.
I've talked to someone from the Nin Treehouse and they said that there wasn't one but that was awhile ago. They also said that LAN can be done but enough people have to ask for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom