• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon: Potential Ruleset for Clan Wars (Discussion Wanted)

The Goomy

Inkling
NNID
IAmTheGoomy
Splatoon "Wars" (Made with @CanadianWifier)

Terminology

TW = Turf War
TC = Tower Control
SZ = Splatzone
RM = Rainmaker

One of: TW or TC or SZ or RM = Game
One set of: TW + TC + SZ + RM = Match
All 3 Matches = War

Rules

1. At the beginning of the game, flip a coin to see who is Team A, and who is Team B.
2. For matches 1 and 3, picking a (map + gamemode combination) will alternate between Team A and B, (A,B,A,B)
3. For match 2, picking a (map + gamemode combination) will alternate between Team B and A, (B,A,B,A)
4. Each match must contain each game mode at least once.
5. No map repeats within a match.
6. Each team will select weapons before the match begins.
7. You cannot change weapons during a match, but you can in between matches.
8. Teams cannot make substitutions during a war.

Example Order of Events:

Match 1

Both teams choose weapons for the whole match

[TeamA] TW - Kelp Dome
[TeamB] SZ - Moray Towers
[TeamA] RM - Camp Triggerfish
[TeamB] TC - Urchin Underpass

Play Match

Match 2

[TeamB] TW - Walleye Warehouse
[TeamA] TC - Blackbelly Skatepark
[TeamB] SZ - Camp Triggerfish
[TeamA] RM - Moray Towers

Play Match

Match 3

[TeamA] SZ - Urchin Underpass
[TeamB] RM - Moray Towers
[TeamA] TW - Saltspray Rig
[TeamB] TC - Kelp Dome

Play Match

Determining a Winner

At the end of Match 3, the team that has won more games total is the winner.

If the war ends in a tie (6-6), a one game tiebreak will be played where Team A selects the map first, and then Team B selects the mode. Weapons from Match 3 are carried over into the tiebreak.

Last edited:

CanadianWifier

Inkling
NNID
canadianwifier
Once additional maps are released for Splatoon. I think that Rule 5 (no repeat maps within a match) should be changed to "no repeat maps within a war", because if there are say 16+ maps to choose from, there's no real reason to play one particular map twice in a 12 game war.

Other than that, this is more of a basic / primitive skeleton that we worked on for about an hour - any suggestions, changes, etc are welcomed, I highly doubt that once Splatoon clan wars are commonplace that the "official" rules will look similar to this; but it's a decent place to start at the very least.

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
All of these ideas should really have one place to be discussed instead of individual users posting topics about their own rules and the like. We have multiple proposal and ruleset threads on the front page lol.

jason1637

Senior Squid
NNID
jason1637
All of these ideas should really have one place to be discussed instead of individual users posting topics about their own rules and the like. We have multiple proposal and ruleset threads on the front page lol.
Yea but some will be lost because i can see lots of users posting.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Think a mod should sticky a thread for general clan war discussion? It's naturally going to grow into a bigger issue because of the fact of the infamous August Update and as @Egregore said, it would probably be best if it were collected together in one place for discussion.

Kairo

Pro Squid
NNID
smartmadboy
One of: TW or TC or SZ or RM = Game
One set of: TW + TC + SZ + RM = Match
All 3 Matches = War
Personally I think that TW should be seperated frm the ranked modes, as they are entirely dfferent concepts.
Also 12 games/rounds? That's basically over an hours worth of matches! This is way too long honestly.

Best out of 5 to win ranked wars seem decent in length, and highest cumulative total out of 5 or 7 matches for TW wars.

This could be a possibility, but how about randomly determining the ranked modes used in a war for each match? Teams need to be skilled & versatile to win. A skilled SZ team may suffer if the RNG decides that all x rounds of a war ends up being TC or RM.

2. For matches 1 and 3, picking a (map + gamemode combination) will alternate between Team A and B, (A,B,A,B)
3. For match 2, picking a (map + gamemode combination) will alternate between Team B and A, (B,A,B,A)
If map picking ends up being randomly chosen after voting (like MK8), this doesn't matter.
We'll need to wait and see how private rooms work.
8. Teams cannot make substitutions during a war.
Yes, and no. I get where you are going with this thinking that a team who is losing may substitute a better player in. However, what if someone gets parent-owned or has to go somewhere unexpectedly? Re-scheduling wars will be extremely difficult, and playing a 3v4 while having able players sitting in the back?

This whole ruleset would get ruined/messed up if more modes are released (which there will be). The rules themselves aren't half-bad, but the way matches are set up in this ruleset is awkward. Having it so people can't switch weapons from mode to mode in a "match" doesn't work. You can't have all the rounds be a full out skill battle without having people being able to select their best weapon for eachmode when it is played.

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
Yes, and no. I get where you are going with this thinking that a team who is losing may substitute a better player in. However, what if someone gets parent-owned or has to go somewhere unexpectedly? Re-scheduling wars will be extremely difficult, and playing a 3v4 while having able players sitting in the back?

This whole ruleset would get ruined/messed up if more modes are released (which there will be). The rules themselves aren't half-bad, but the way matches are set up in this ruleset is awkward. Having it so people can't switch weapons from mode to mode in a "match" doesn't work. You can't have all the rounds be a full out skill battle without having people being able to select their best weapon for eachmode when it is played.
100% agree.

The Goomy

Inkling
NNID
IAmTheGoomy
100% agree.
I mean, why not? In Mario Kart you don't get to change karts between every race. If you could choose the ideal set up every time then everyone would be cornered into the same thing constantly, and changing weapons between every game would be a pain in the butt.

Personally I think that TW should be seperated frm the ranked modes, as they are entirely dfferent concepts.
Also 12 games/rounds? That's basically over an hours worth of matches! This is way too long honestly.

Best out of 5 to win ranked wars seem decent in length, and highest cumulative total out of 5 or 7 matches for TW wars.

This could be a possibility, but how about randomly determining the ranked modes used in a war for each match? Teams need to be skilled & versatile to win. A skilled SZ team may suffer if the RNG decides that all x rounds of a war ends up being TC or RM.

If map picking ends up being randomly chosen after voting (like MK8), this doesn't matter.
We'll need to wait and see how private rooms work.

With respect to the length of the war, that's not any longer than mario kart, a similar style in which races last 3-5 minutes as well.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
I mean, why not? In Mario Kart you don't get to change karts between every race. If you could choose the ideal set up every time then everyone would be cornered into the same thing constantly, and changing weapons between every game would be a pain in the butt.
It's like comparing apples to oranges here; I tend to agree with @Kairo that one should be able to switch weapons between maps. In Mario Kart, the karts have different stats, to be sure, but the gameplay is more or less the same from map to map. In Splatoon, a weapon that would dominate on one ruleset, (say, inkbrush vanilla in TW) would be absolutely useless in any other mode (say, inkbrush vanilla in TC).

Not being able to substitute weapons in a game where playstyles are entirely different based on weapon choice and mode and map is a bad idea for that reason and we mean no offense; you'd simply limit people to good all-around weapons for the whole war instead of allowing people to choose their tool for each match accordingly. If allowed, would give more room for strategy in the meta because everyone would be able to pick their "best tool." And because of the nature of Splatoon, there is no weapon that simply dominates all the time. Even in Moray Towers with E-Liter, you can be stumped by a good player with another weapon... and you probably don't want a whole team of E-Liters anyway.

Further, how would teams decide between themselves what map to choose? Would a leader be elected to make the final decision? Would there be a vote in the clan? Who would be picking the map and mode?

Kairo

Pro Squid
NNID
smartmadboy
It's different for Mario Kart as you are still participating in the same concept throughout the whole war; racing.
In your version of matches, you have all 4 modes in 1 match. You don't switch from racing to battling in MK8 mid-GP (equivalent to a match), without using a different combo. Each mode has certain weapons that are actually viable.
Essentially, with your format, no one is going to care about turf war while picking gear as it's only 1/4 of the "match." It's not worth investing in since you have 3 other modes that use somewhat similar weapons. (Hence why you don't see too many Aerosprays in Ranked). Turf war isn't worth caring about.
Would you play online if Nintendo mixed TW, SZ, TC, and all other future modes into the only online game mode there was? It be down to luck whether or not the weapon you chose is even viable, as you may be totally screwed over if you get a mode that isn't friendly with your current combo.
With respect to the length of the war, that's not any longer than mario kart, a similar style in which races last 3-5 minutes as well.
Races don't last any longer than 4 minutes in Mario Kart 8 including the results and lobby time, which is about ~45 minutes assuming no issues.
For Splatoon, let's assume that the lobby, opening cut scene of map, game, and results are around 6 minutes for Ranked modes and 4 minutes for Turf. You have 3 TW matches in the whole war, which would be ~12 minutes. The remaining 9 ranked matches would be ~54 minutes, which would results in the whole war being 64 minutes, 20 minutes longer.
Even for MK8, some races are exceptionally short (Baby Park), which shorten the war time. Typical wars are around 30-40 minutes. Splatoon has set time limits for matches, so you aren't going any lower than an hour for your version of a Splatoon War.
Further, how would teams decide between themselves what map to choose? Would a leader be elected to make the final decision? Would there be a vote in the clan? Who would be picking the map and mode?
It should honestly be randomly chosen and pre-determined before a war starts in my opinion.
You could use Random.org's List Randomizer for maps, and have the first x maps be the ones you play.
For modes you could use some online wheel spinner or have Random.org generate numbers 1 through 3, having 1 as SZ, 2 as TC, and 3 as RM potentially.

BestTeaMaker

Pro Squid
NNID
BestTeaMaker
The best way to do a clan war is to have the organizer or captains actually determine the matches ahead of time. It'd be something akin to COD clan wars, or Starcraft 2's Shoutcraft Clan Wars.

Each team will be facing off against another team each week. Each match will be Best of 5 in the following format.

Match 1: Tower Control/Splatzone/Rainmaker
Match 2: Tower Control/Splatzone/Rainmaker
Match 3: Tower Control/Splatzone/Rainmaker
Match 4: Tower Control/Splatzone/Rainmaker
Match 5: Turf War

The teams will be notified of who they will be playing against two week before. At this time, the Captains of each team must get together and determine roster, the mode played in each match, and the map played in each map. Once decided, both teams will submit their roster and choices to the Organizer. Then, both teams will have a week to prepare for the upcoming match. If the match information is NOT submitted a week before the determined date, then the resulting match will be randomized.

During the time when the Captains meet, they can strike stages and modes accordingly for each match.

The advantage of this system is that because this is an online forrmat, you can give teams time to prepare for the upcoming match.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Splatoon has set time limits for matches, so you aren't going any lower than an hour for your version of a Splatoon War.
Not quite correct as there is the possibility of knockout wins in the ranked modes. But still - I think knockouts won't be all too common and the maximum match time shouldn't exceed 45 minutes in case everything goes well without d/cs etc.

Picking weapons (and maybe even gear sets, but I think for that you'll have to leave the lobby which would be infeasible) depending on mode and map should be mandatory. We won't see high level gameplay from squads if we disallow that, since then everyone is basically forced to play a "low-risk" or "allround" setup.

I'm also in favor of one central discussion thread for rulesets. There are many on the boards and it's a hassle to follow the discussion currently.

Jugglec

Inkster Jr.
I think you should be able to switch weapons between games, as some are better for different maps, just my opinion. Also, do you stop playing when a team hits 7 wins?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom