• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splattershot/Hero Shot Replica: Analysis & Thoughts Thread

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Figured we could start using these types of threads now. These threads are designed for people to quickly check strategies and info.

Splattershot

Splattershot:
wst_shot_normal00.png

Hero Shot Replica
wst_shot_normalh.png

Lv Unlocked in Shop:

Lv. 2
Lv. 2 + Squid Amiibo final Challenge

Cost:

Shop Description:
"Developed after the Great Turf War, this weapon is easy enough for anyone to use. A great-all-arounder with few weak points. A trusty companion through thick and thin."

Type:
Shooter

Stats:
Range: Mid
Damage: Mid
Fire Rate: Mid

Sub:
wsb_bomb_handy.png
Burst Bomb

Special:

wsp_freebombs_bomb_handy.png
Bomb Rush

Genreal Strategies:

-Wip-

Team Strategies:

-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:

-WIP-

Extras:
Filename: wst_shot_normal00

Update: We are now accepting general strategies about this weapon. Please note I'll only add the strategy if I see video evidence or it is generally agreed upon in the thread.

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the Splattershot.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Inkster Jr.
This impression is based on the demo -

Splatter Shot
This was the most versatile weapon set one can use. It doesn't matter what your team compose of - You will be able to assist, cover ink, and kill with this basic super soaker. I spent the last Testfire using only the SplatterShot to discover what it can do, how it excel and avoid relying on Jr as a clutch.

SplatterShot has good range, decent firing rate, and wonderful kill power and accuracy - 3 shots was all it took to take someone down. Sadly, it appeared to be outclassed (I used this term lightly) by its Junior counter part dues to its sub weapon and special (arguable imo but whatever). My personal problem with this blaster was its ink spread. I feel like I waste more ink covering places which results into constantly running low on ink. Otherwise, it is a great gun.

Sub Weapon - The Burst Balloon. A bomb that burst on contact dealing 60 base damage on the target. While the blast range is small and is significantly weaker than Suction Bomb and Splat Bomb, you can throw bomb much farther and use the bomb multiple times in single ink tank (up to 3 times and still have some ink left over). Due its weak damage and burst mechanic, most player find it difficult to use, inferior, and most often rather kill with the gun. However, once master... I expect this weapon force to reckon with.

Special - The Bomb Bush - Balloon Edition. Screw you Bubbler! This Special is amazing and people are sleeping on it. I cannot believe it took me the last few rounds to realize this. This Special can be use offensively, defensively, cover the area in ink, keep opponents at bay or completely obliterate them. It is Burst Balloons so they require some effort to work but when it does - Man it feels good.

Overall, I believe it really good standard weapon. And players are sleeping on it. Hopefully, it will still be useful as the metagame advances.s

Last edited:

RiDEL

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RiDEL_Puff
This was my main weapon of choice throughout every Global Testfire I played, and I agree that this weapon was being slept on. I found that the Splattershot's extended range and accuracy could make quick work of a Jr or make them pop their Bubbler early giving me optimal to step back and wait it out. The only thing I really was getting a tad bit annoyed with was it's lack of ammunition but it never was a direct cause of me losing a fire fight. The secondary was something I barely ever used in combat which was mainly due to me having trouble getting used to switching my finger back and forth between the two shoulder buttons but It's something that can easily be worked out. I had a similar problem when using my special as well but I mostly used the special to cover wide areas in ink, specifically the rear crate area in Saltspray Rig.

I never came across any good Jr players so I don't know how this would stack up with a more experienced player of that weapon.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
I mainly used it during the testfire ; but in the main game...Way less so ; I just can't seem to make the bomb and the special work in here now...

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Burst bombs, especially on this weapon are different from most subs in that they need to be used a lot for you to get the most out of them.
They're like pocket blasters: you can hit indirect angles and thanks to their quick detonations they can check for enemy presence if you suspect lurkers.

Anytime you can't hit your foe with a gun, throw these out. It will soften them up and slow them down good with the burst of ink around your feet.

Lapsy143

Full Squid
NNID
Lapsy143
Started using Hero Shot Replica (basicly clone of Splattershot) and I can confirm it is a great weapon. Most of the weak points are already in the thread (weaker and less useful bombs, low ink capacity, etc.), however, I have gotten much higher kill rates and win rates with this weapon alone. Not to mention, the Hero Shot Replica looks like a sci-fi paintball gun, which is bad***.

Overall, people underestimate the power of this single weapon. It has superior power, superior coverage, and my win rates have gone up significantly with it. I use some odd and obscure weapons, but this one is both obscure in the underdeveloped meta we have and extremley powerful.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Bringing this thread back up so I can ask the public: why do not enough people use this weapon? This is balance at its finest.
Because tentatek is also a balanced weapon that packs more punch. When it comes down to it, burst bomb rush is a pretty underwhelming special.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Tentatek is more straightfoward while also having more obvious ways to overcome its limitations.

Burst bomb is a great sub and when used correctly is amazing. But the suction bomb is easier to zone with since it OHKOs. It is easier to dislodge snipers and is overall more intimidating upon first glance because of the OHKO. With burst-cancelling burst bombs really help the TTK, but that takes a lot of practice.

Inkzooka automatically helps increase the range of the gun without any perks needed. Burst bombs can do this to an extent, but requires bomb range up to really be effective. Inkzooka makes everyone head for the hills, hiding behind walls and retreating into their own turf. Bombs away doesn't have this same sort of effect on people, even if it does have its uses.

The splattershot is still great for skirmishing and is better at getting quick kills (and therefore really good at ambushing), but the lack of inzooka makes it slightly less good than the Tentatek overall. However, I think in the hands of a dedicated splattershot user that has a grenadier sort of build it would wreck-face.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
So now that burst bombs have been fundamentally changed, how are people building their loadouts now? I used to be all in on the bomb range + damage up build, but that might be obsolete with the burst bomb changes (only two bombs, not three).

We CAN use two mains or six subs of ink saver sub to give us 3 burst bombs, but that takes up a lot of slots. I'm thinking of either going the bomb range + ink saver sub or abandoning the grenadier build altogether for a special charge build with bomb range + special charge to increase frequency of bomb rush.

Something like:
Paisley Bandana :ability_inksaversub:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Firefin Navy Sweat :clothes_swt003: :ability_bombrange:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Neon Sea Slugs :shoes_sht002: :ability_inkresistance:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_bombrange: (might reroll to perfect, but I like that extra bomb range with lots of builds)

OR
Sun Visor :ability_bombrange:|:ability_bombrange::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
Baseball Jersey :clothes_shirt008: :ability_specialcharge:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_swimspeed::ability_specialcharge:
Neon Sea Slugs :shoes_sht002::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_bombrange:

This gives me a lot of bomb range, decent ink recovery to get ink back after throwing bombs, and lots of special charge to get bomb rush often.

What are you guys/gals thinking?

DillWano

Inkling
NNID
DillWano
I know I've been kinda doing a little of both. I'm not sure how to do the images but let me try

:head_eye002: :ability_bombrange: : :ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
clothes_vest000:ability_swimspeed: : :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:shoes_cfs001::ability_damage: : :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

I feel like the dmg up (1 main or 3 subs) is really great for the burst bombs and lets you get around 2 defense up. I had to train myself to only throw out 1 (2 in rare cases) burst bomb to pressure. I personally don't have a problem building up special so I like the special duration. I have tried a few sets with ink saver main but my problem is wanting to throw out 3-4 bombs instead of 1 -2.

The problem I had with Ink saver sub is that it gave up A LOT of swim speed and damage up to be able and throw just one more bomb. I feel like ink recovery is even more important now that bombs suck up a lot of ink. I really like being able to outmaneuver my opponents now that I can't just chuck bombs.

What do yall think?

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
IIRC, you need at least 1 main and 1 sub or 4 subs to get a kill off one direct and one indirect hit with a burst bomb.

Right now I'm leaning toward no special charge, but adding damage and ink recovery. Trying to figure out how to fit in the most bomb range. Here is what I have right now:

Pilot Goggles :head_eye002: :ability_bombrange:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_bombrange:
Part-Time Pirate :clothes_tly007: :ability_damage:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
Neon Sea Slugs :shoes_sht002: :ability_inkresistance:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_bombrange:
I actually ran with something very similar before I really tried to go all in to the grenadier build. Unless you scum for a bunch of shinies that include stacking ink saver sub, then I think ink recovery might be the best.

I'm still defaulting to ink resistance because I'm bad at the game....

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
@DillWano Replace those Pilot Goggles with Sun Visor with 2 subs ink recovery one sub damage and the build will be viable. Special Duration is bad on Splattershot because it's extremely hungry for ability slots now and can't afford things like that.

Both you and @SupaTim should be careful with only 4 subs worth of damage, as people will survive direct+indirect burst bomb combos if they swim in ink because they will recover health. 6 subs is my baseline.

The best naturally rolling Splattershot gear is Sun Visor, Squidmark Sweat, Cyan Trainers IMO. It's better to run shiny gear that replaces ink recovery with sub saver, which is what I now run.

DillWano

Inkling
NNID
DillWano
@DillWano Replace those Pilot Goggles with Sun Visor with 2 subs ink recovery one sub damage and the build will be viable. Special Duration is bad on Splattershot because it's extremely hungry for ability slots now and can't afford things like that.

Both you and @SupaTim should be careful with only 4 subs worth of damage, as people will survive direct+indirect burst bomb combos if they swim in ink because they will recover health. 6 subs is my baseline.

The best naturally rolling Splattershot gear is Sun Visor, Squidmark Sweat, Cyan Trainers IMO. It's better to run shiny gear that replaces ink recovery with sub saver, which is what I now run.
So pretty much stack a lot of damage up? It looks like you have 9 subs worth but I could be reading that wrong. I'm assuming that's to make sure both of your burst bombs will result in a kill.

Any reason for the 2 mains of bomb range? I seem to do fine with 1 range up but even that could be iffy depending on the map.

Definitely going to try some gear with your suggestion of at least 6 subs of damage.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
So pretty much stack a lot of damage up? It looks like you have 9 subs worth but I could be reading that wrong. I'm assuming that's to make sure both of your burst bombs will result in a kill.

Any reason for the 2 mains of bomb range? I seem to do fine with 1 range up but even that could be iffy depending on the map.

Definitely going to try some gear with your suggestion of at least 6 subs of damage.
IIRC @Hitzel runs:
Pilot Goggles: :head_eye002::ability_bombrange:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage: (shiny, I tried for days to get this and I just gave up after two dmg and one bomb range)
White Tee :clothes_tes000::ability_inksaversub:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
Shark Mawcasins (no picture) :ability_bombrange:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: (also a shiny)
Which gives him like CJS range (or a bit more maybe) with bombs, six damage subs, and the ability to throw 3 burst bombs. I thought I heard him say that the minimum was one main + one sub, but apparently it is closer to one main + three subs or six subs.

Before the change I ran:
Pilot Goggles :head_eye002::ability_bombrange:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_bombrange:
Varsity Jacket :clothes_jkt003: :ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange:
Neon Sea Slugs :shoes_sht002: :ability_inkresistance:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_bombrange:
Which was a lot of fun because it had just about everything I needed. I wonder if this is still viable with some playstyle adjustment.

Regarding bomb range up, having more distance makes you more threatening and more versatile. At least for this weapon. But I ran with one main + two subs for a long time and I'm trying it again now. For the most part it seems adequate.

EDIT: I'm just addicted to ink resistance, so I've got to figure out builds that include it or I really struggle with movement. It's a crutch, I know...

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
@DillWano can also try something like Camo Mesh, White Tee, Plum Casuals if he doesn't like bomb range as much and wants swim speed.

Yeah @SupaTim that's my build. Honestly dude, you should throw one of the trainers (I'd say pink) on that build and try playing Splattershot and Neo Splash without ink resist.

My twitch is twitch.tv/hitzelburger if Dill wants to see how I take advantage of bomb range.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Has anyone tried running NO damage up with their burst bombs?

I've been messing around with:
Camo Mesh :head_cap006: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_bombrange:
Firefin Navy Sweat :clothes_swt003: :ability_bombrange:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Blue Slip Ons :shoes_slp000: :ability_bombrange:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_inksaversub:
This gives me speed and the ability to throw 3 burst bombs and a little better than two bomb range main. (I could easily perfect out the gear for a similar result, not sure if the extra bomb range sub makes a bunch of difference)

I know damage is really important to steal splats and to get to the "burst bomb+1 shot=splat" breakpoint. However, I feel like without shinies I needed to choose between damage or throwing three bombs. Perhaps in further testing I will find that damage makes THAT much more difference, but I REALLY missed being able to throw three bombs. I suppose I could sacrifice a bit of bomb range for more damage with the white tee, but honestly I haven't rolled that shirt yet. Trying to work with what I have.

I have noticed that even though the range difference between the splattershot and neo-splash is small, I often hit people on the very edge of my range, and I've gotten so used to that that the neo-splash is a bit of an adjustment. I have definitely been playing it more, but I still find myself coming back to my trusty vanilla splattershot.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Running two subs of damage is better than zero damage.

Now that I have access to gear editing and data mining, I've actually been experimenting with low damage builds. I'll post them when I'm on my PC.

@SupaTim what do you have on Blueberry Casuals? Your Pilot Goggles and Firefin Navy Sweat would be perfect with nat bb casuals.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom