• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splattershot Pro: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Splattershot Pro

Lv Unlocked in Shop:

Lv. 10

Cost:

Shop Description:
"An updated Splattershot developed with advanced battlers in mind. Consumes a lot of ink and has a slow rate of fire, but its range and accuracy are vastly improved."

Type:
Shooter

Stats:
Range: High - Mid
Damage: Mid
Fire Rate: Low - Mid

Sub:
Splat Bomb

Special:

Inkstrike

Genreal Strategies:

-WIP-

Team Strategies:

-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:

-WIP-

Update: We are now accepting general strategies about this weapon. Please note I'll only add the strategy if I see video evidence or it is generally agreed upon in the thread.

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the Splattershot Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: -*-

PurpleWii

Inkling
NNID
Sir_PurpleWii
I am not normally into shooter games; and the few that I do end up playing, I always find myself NOT walking into straight up fire fights and taking more stealthy approaches to things because I couldn't hit a garbage truck even if you put it directly in my face. In Splatoon, this translate to me becoming more of a Roller squid myself, but with Ranked battle and Splatzones coming up soon, I need to learn something that isn't a roller and can hold its own when challenged. So, I decided to force myself to learn the SS Pro.

The description of this weapon sums it up very well. The SS Pro throws off the training wheels the standard SS had, creating a weapon that has high skill floor, and even higher skill ceiling. With it's slow fire rate and high ink usage, It punishes you for every miss-aimed shot and makes covering turf a lot more time consuming when compare to other weapons. It's not just mechanically demanding ether, it's also technically demanding as well. You won't be able to defend yourself at close quarters as well as say the Aerospary M/RG and flee is also a nonviable option as well, so battle positioning is more demanding than ever. However, these negatives can be mitigated or avoided entirely with time and experience with the weapon.

The SS Pro's range is outstanding, only apexed in the shooter category by the Jet/Dual squelches letting you gun down most other shooters before they can even make their move with good aim. It can even reach several common charger nests in maps like Anawona Mall and Urchin Underpass. The crowing factor of this weapon is its accuracy. It's shoots has VERY little RNG attached to them, and stay in nigh exact place as they gain distance. This, combined with it's range make it a devastating force in any straight up fire fight.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You shoot twice and you are out of ink. Not a fun weapon. Well, for my playstyle at least.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
I love this weapon. The combination of range, power and accuracy gives you a distinct advantage over pretty much every other weapon. Unless you're opponent has a very good position or jumps you from behind, you won't have much trouble taking them out.

Ink usage is a problem that you'll want to manage using the right gear, preferably Ink Saver Main and Ink Recovery, either of which stacked two levels. Use the Splat Bombs sparingly, and habitually jump in ink, even if just to top yourself off.

As said by others, you won't be spreading much ink with this. This is a weapon designed to directly challenge your opponents, so one must make it a point to ether seek out targets, or hold a position where targets will come to you. I really enjoy bringing this weapon to Saltspray, rush to the gate on the top, and set up shop doing my best Gandalf impression. Many times, I managed to hold off entire teams like this while my allies painted the top plaza.

I like variety in my games, so I tend to bring a variety of weapons. However, when I don't feel like fooling around and just want to get sh*t done, the Splattershot Pro is my weapon of choice.

Reactions: Ivy

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
Burns too much ink for my playstyle. Not a very mobile weapon compared to Splattershot Jr. Doesn't seem to be efficient enough to be played in Turf Wars due to bad fire rate/ink not spreading well.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Gave it another try today and even with three pieces of gear with the Inksaver ability, I was still running out of ink far too fast for my tastes.

Life

Senior Squid
This is one of the few weapons in the game where it's often a bad idea to be spreading as much ink as possible. Most weapons don't use enough ink to have ink management be an issue more than rarely; this one does, so don't waste ink that you'll need later.

That said, master the Pro, and you'll be able to 1v1 basically any other weapon in the game barring the element of surprise. Don't go for sheer score with this; use its long range and high power to deny your opponents, instead. You almost have to think like a charger player, but less campy.

Overmaster

Inkling
Bad at painting, good at killing. If your team is good at painting, you'll be an asset to the team. If your team is bad at painting, you'll be a liability even with a large amount of kills. I still think it has a place on team comps though.
You almost have to think like a charger player, but less campy.
Exactly. Turf War meta is 3 Aerospray and a Pro/Charger.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Hmmm, I've been having a great run with the Vanilla Pro, but now I'm wondering if I should switch over to the Forge Splattershot Pro instead. Splat Bombs and ink-draining weapons do not go well, so I usually end up never using splat bombs as much as I'd like. Ink strike is a great special, but since I always find myself on the front lines holding back the opposition, I never find a good moment to retreat and safely fire it when it would actually still matter.

The Forge, on the other hand, comes with the Point Sensor and Inkzooka. The PS is a nifty piece of work that doesn't use half as much ink as the Splat Bomb, so it will be easier to throw out without leaving yourself mostly defenceless. The Inkzooka would probably nicely compliment the Pro's frontline combat role.

Yeah, I think I'll switch over to the Forge for a while. Considering my playstyle, I see very little downsides. At least in Splat Zones. Inkstrike will probably be a lot more useful in Turf Wars.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
Hmmm, I've been having a great run with the Vanilla Pro, but now I'm wondering if I should switch over to the Forge Splattershot Pro instead. Splat Bombs and ink-draining weapons do not go well, so I usually end up never using splat bombs as much as I'd like. Ink strike is a great special, but since I always find myself on the front lines holding back the opposition, I never find a good moment to retreat and safely fire it when it would actually still matter.

The Forge, on the other hand, comes with the Point Sensor and Inkzooka. The PS is a nifty piece of work that doesn't use half as much ink as the Splat Bomb, so it will be easier to throw out without leaving yourself mostly defenceless. The Inkzooka would probably nicely compliment the Pro's frontline combat role.

Yeah, I think I'll switch over to the Forge for a while. Considering my playstyle, I see very little downsides. At least in Splat Zones. Inkstrike will probably be a lot more useful in Turf Wars.
What? Inkstrike is god like in Splat Zones.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
What? Inkstrike is god like in Splat Zones.
Sure. If you're not constantly under fire. I'm always right there in their faces holding important positions. The only time I get a second of peace and quiet to launch the Inkstrike is when there's no one left to use it on. Either they are splatted and we already have full control of the zone, or I got splatted and just lost half my special gauge.

So, as I said, the times where I get to use the Inkstrike and it actually matters are few and far between. On the other hand, I end up in many situations where having an Inkzooka would pretty much be the best thing ever, since people in Splat Zones tend to clump up around a central area, making them very easy targets.

So yeah, for the way I generally play, I'd much rather have an Inkzooka than an Inkstrike.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
Sure. If you're not constantly under fire. I'm always right there in their faces holding important positions. The only time I get a second of peace and quiet to launch the Inkstrike is when there's no one left to use it on. Either they are splatted and we already have full control of the zone, or I got splatted and just lost half my special gauge.

So, as I said, the times where I get to use the Inkstrike and it actually matters are few and far between. On the other hand, I end up in many situations where having an Inkzooka would pretty much be the best thing ever, since people in Splat Zones tend to clump up around a central area, making them very easy targets.

So yeah, for the way I generally play, I'd much rather have an Inkzooka than an Inkstrike.
Imo you should immediately retreat if possible, the AoE actually detriments the enemy team A LOT. Specially if you're losing.

Inkzooka is good no doubt, but it's a lot more situational and requires a lot more skill to use properly (can't ink your floor, hard to use if you're at high grounds, etc). Use what you're most comfortable with, of course! Just dropping my opinion :)

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Imo you should immediately retreat if possible, the AoE actually detriments the enemy team A LOT. Specially if you're losing.

Inkzooka is good no doubt, but it's a lot more situational and requires a lot more skill to use properly (can't ink your floor, hard to use if you're at high grounds, etc). Use what you're most comfortable with, of course! Just dropping my opinion :)
Hey, no need to act apologetic when you deliver perfectly fine points. In any other case, I would agree that the Ink Strike is generally a better special than the Inkzooka, and I'm always happy to see my friends Inkstrike left and right. It's just that my particular playstyle, which the Splattershot Pro itself complements quite nicely, would benefit more from that little extra direct firepower the Inkzooka delivers.

For example, I'm generally not the one on the high ground. I'll gladly take a few potshots from the usual charger nests if the situation calls for it, but I'm usually found on the floor engaging opponents directly. From a relatively safe distance, of course, so I can take advantage of my (usually) superior range and accuracy. Still, I've found that even up close the Pro is the stronger weapon, all other things being equal (except maybe against the N-zap, who can actually match my accuracy). My biggest problem when doing this are enemy chargers who did take the high ground, or several enemies engaging at once, but that's exactly what the Inkzooka is for.

As for inking the ground, well, that's just not my role. I'll gladly leave that to whomever was so smart to bring an Aerospray or Jr. I keep the enemy at bay so my team can do their job of securing the area. Any ink I happen to spread during my mission is just bonus.

And let's not forget about the point sensor. The only real advantage many weapons have over the Pro is spread of ink, so I often find myself limited in movement while the enemy can bounce around all over the place. Being able to throw a point sensor here and there would greatly diminish this problem, since I can just keep shooting them no matter where they go.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
any splattershot pro pros out there that could give me the ins and outs to this weapon? :D
Thinking of picking it up, but I figure it runs pretty differently than how I'd use a gal or octobrush >.<

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
any splattershot pro pros out there that could give me the ins and outs to this weapon? :D
Thinking of picking it up, but I figure it runs pretty differently than how I'd use a gal or octobrush >.<
1. For both versions, you seriously need Ink Saver Main on. It's basically required.

For the Regular Pro:
I feel like it's a good weapon for all the ranked modes with the exception of Tower Control where it lacks some potential. Good for picking off foes across most gaps, on most ledges and outranging a lot of other shooters and every blaster giving you a range advantage. Splat Bombs are great for rolling around a corner, trapping foes or scaring off people and since you have an ink saver main on, you can throw a splat bomb and get in quite a few shots before you hit the bottom of the ink tank. Finally, the inkstrike has a ton of uses, most of the time it is to hit an enemy that's camping out of the gun's range (charger) or to upset the zone/clear the tower, etc.

Good up close and far away, has a handy last ditch Splat Bomb and a sometimes game changing inkstrike to top it off.

The Forge:
Forge is really good at supporting the team. The range allows you to provide support for your team from a relatively safe distance. The Point Sensors should be tossed around like cascarones because your whole team can now see your opponent's location, giving you that much of an advantage. Not only that, but they use considerably less ink than the Splat bomb allowing more uses per tank and more ink for you to shoot with. Lastly, the inkzooka is good for taking out those pesky snipers and hiding enemies who you can totally see because point sensors.

Excels at being in the back of the group while providing support for the front with range, point sensors and inkzookas.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
1. For both versions, you seriously need Ink Saver Main on. It's basically required.
I'd say Ink Saver Main OR Ink Recovery. I prefer Recovery and actually never have problems with ink management when playing the Pro (both versions). Especially Forge is rather forgiving, as Point Sensors don't take as much ink as splat bombs.

In my opinion .96 Deco is the only weapon on which Main Saver is a super-must-have, because you want to keep shooting for a while after putting walls down.

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
All i can say is run Ink save main and use the forge one. After that use any gear you want to complete your style.

UnnecessaryTodd

Full Squid
NNID
UnnecessaryTodd
Been using the Forge Pro for a while and I found it's best to play more like a charger. You get way more ink coverage by strafing and shooting far than trying to cover the area immediately in front of you and its especially good at picking of already damaged enemies.

Its killer in 1v1 but you need to outspace your opponent effectively to be able to do that. Its fairly accurate meaning that your leas likely to get stray hits on moving targets but if youve got the accuracy to back ot up then you're set.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
Been using the Forge Pro for a while and I found it's best to play more like a charger. You get way more ink coverage by strafing and shooting far than trying to cover the area immediately in front of you and its especially good at picking of already damaged enemies.

Its killer in 1v1 but you need to outspace your opponent effectively to be able to do that. Its fairly accurate meaning that your leas likely to get stray hits on moving targets but if youve got the accuracy to back ot up then you're set.
YESSSS

this is why i've had a lot of success with the forge. i came to it after i had difficulty climbing out of B+ with the classic squiffer (long time ago. i'm much better now. stronger. faster. sleeker. better hair.). it took a few games of adjustment since i'd never really played the machine guns outside of single player and a few fun matches when i'd just started the game, but i became successful VERY quickly using nearly the same strategy i'd been playing on my squiffer (just slightly more daring since the pro can handle harsher waters than any charger not equipped with burst bombs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom