• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

suggestion for competitive

Theworstmaker

Inkling
NNID
Theworstmaker
(this is assuming we get control of this stuff in the big update)
(just going by what works for Smash)

Best of 3
Every mode is used
the 2 teams strike a mode
the stage would be decided by having the teams strike stages until there is one stage left and that is the stage to be played on

The second round would be decided by having the winning team strike a mode and a stage (before the losing team selects a mode)

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Matches should be longer than best of 3 in my opinion. It depends on the mode a litte (as TC is slower for example), but I would go up to a least best of 9 as minimum. Maybe up to best of 19 for finals etc. I know matches are shorter in Smash, but as I come from Mario Kart, I think a match between two teams should last at least 30-45 minutes in online leagues.

About the modes I'm not sure. From what I've heard people prefer to settle on one mode for the whole match/tournament beforehand.

And I really hope they give us a way so select stages how it's done in MK. Then we might have an alternative to stage striking.

Theworstmaker

Inkling
NNID
Theworstmaker
the matches here have a set time of 3 minutes, which are shorter than the average sm4sh match.

I think there should be all modes allowed so we can have teams really play to their fullest all around matchups and strategies.

Moy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
moymemoy
the matches here have a set time of 3 minutes, which are shorter than the average sm4sh match.

I think there should be all modes allowed so we can have teams really play to their fullest all around matchups and strategies.
I don't think other people (including myself) will enjoy turf or towers in competitive play. It seems like more people are into zones than any other mode, but we will see when rooms release. The team striking method seems a bit interested, but we don't really know what options will be available once we host friend rooms. As for the bo3 thing, we should make some sort of poll to decide how many matches will be played. Also be in mind that whatever works in Smash or MK may not work in Splatoon.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I don't think people should learn to do all the modes, but it would be more interesting to just have leagues for each mode so each match is more skilled. All of them are so different, so it would be hard to master 3+

Moy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
moymemoy
I don't think people should learn to do all the modes, but it would be more interesting to just have leagues for each mode so each match is more skilled. All of them are so different, so it would be hard to master 3+
well, the only mode I can't picture being added to competitive play would be turf. The games are too random compared to zones and even towers. The thing about towers is that since the teams are random almost every game, it's hard to be consistent unless you're carrying your team every single game. I think towers will change if the devs don't **** up the friend rooms and make it so you can choose your team, because you'll actually have teammates that know what they are doing instead of a team with 1 good player and 3 bad players that don't know what they are doing.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
towers is that since the teams are random almost every game, it's hard to be consistent unless you're carrying your team every single game
It's actually incredibly easy to be consistent in Tower Control, I don't carry the team every game, although usually I do place 2nd/1st on the team. I've gotten most of my rank from Tower Control.

Anyway discussing the OP, I feel like having to learn every game modes' ins and outs would be too much and would slow down competitive Splatoon's growth. If a player can focus on one game mode only, he/she would bring the scene further than if he/she had to learn all game modes. Striking is a nice idea, but then it would be incredibly easy to strike a team's best mode. Maybe this would work if we offer 4 of the game modes. There will always be at least Splat Zones and one other game mode at every tournament as the standard. Splat Zones seems essential as one of the staples because it looks to be a personal favorite for the majority. I'm not sure how many more game modes will be added, I can't recall off hand, Rainmaker, and that Capture the Flag one?

But essentially every team would get one strike. Each team strikes one, with 2 game modes left, If they can't decide on which mode to play, then they would flip a coin/Rock Paper Scissors or something, and the team that won it would strike a final game mode. In this format, people could always prepare for at least Splat Zones + the other standard mode. The other 2 would be random every time, so a team couldn't rely on simply counter picking.

superman

Senior Squid
I have a very strong opinion on the matter - NONE!

I said it before and I'll say it again, people should stop forcing things. Let the scene grow naturally!
There will be a lot of different tournament formats throughout Splatoon's life, popularity will decide which ones are the most prestigious and whorthwile - naturally.

If you think a specific format is "the best" or "the most fun" then gather some people around you who think alike and try to organize a tournament.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
I have a very strong opinion on the matter - NONE!

I said it before and I'll say it again, people should stop forcing things. Let the scene grow naturally!
There will be a lot of different tournament formats throughout Splatoon's life, popularity will decide which ones are the most prestigious and whorthwile - naturally.

If you think a specific format is "the best" or "the most fun" then gather some people around you who think alike and try to organize a tournament.
I don't think people are trying to force it exactly, but look at it this way- People in Japan are only doing Tower Control tournaments for whatever reason. Then maybe the West Coast of the US loves to only play Rainmaker, and the East Coast only plays Splat Zones. What happens if we all wanna come together for one giant tournament to see who is the best? Obviously one game mode would favor a given area over another. Even if all game modes are available, with striking and what not, both teams would be smart enough to strike each others best modes. This would leave us with their weaker modes, providing less high level play, and therefore less entertaining to watch.

Of course this is all based off of assumptions, but look at any competitive fighting game. They all have well established rules- I'll go with Smash because most people on this forum are familiar with it. If rules standard rules weren't established, people could be playing with x amount of stocks on x stages with items. In this case, rules are important not just for organizational purposes, but for fairness to all the competitors.

You even even say popularity will decide which ones are the most prestigious and worthwhile- So either way eventually a standardization will come, why not try to throw around some ideas now so that the majority can shut down/accept ideas early -even if temporarily?

Moy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
moymemoy
I don't think people are trying to force it exactly, but look at it this way- People in Japan are only doing Tower Control tournaments for whatever reason. Then maybe the West Coast of the US loves to only play Rainmaker, and the East Coast only plays Splat Zones. What happens if we all wanna come together for one giant tournament to see who is the best? Obviously one game mode would favor a given area over another. Even if all game modes are available, with striking and what not, both teams would be smart enough to strike each others best modes. This would leave us with their weaker modes, providing less high level play, and therefore less entertaining to watch.

Of course this is all based off of assumptions, but look at any competitive fighting game. They all have well established rules- I'll go with Smash because most people on this forum are familiar with it. If rules standard rules weren't established, people could be playing with x amount of stocks on x stages with items. In this case, rules are important not just for organizational purposes, but for fairness to all the competitors.

You even even say popularity will decide which ones are the most prestigious and worthwhile- So either way eventually a standardization will come, why not try to throw around some ideas now so that the majority can shut down/accept ideas early -even if temporarily?
The thing is we need a council that will be in-charge of running the league structure for competitive, and anyone who participates in the league needs to learn to accept the rules. It's better if we focus on 1 mode only, so that there isn't much confusion and it will be easier to learn the strategy. Also rules can change through the course of time if enough people want something changed in the competitive layout.

As I previously said, we should have some sort of poll to decide what the primary game mode should be for competitive when custom rooms are available.

superman

Senior Squid
The thing is we need a council that will be in-charge of running the league structure for competitive, and anyone who participates in the league needs to learn to accept the rules. It's better if we focus on 1 mode only, so that there isn't much confusion and it will be easier to learn the strategy. Also rules can change through the course of time if enough people want something changed in the competitive layout.

As I previously said, we should have some sort of poll to decide what the primary game mode should be for competitive when custom rooms are available.
This is exactly what I mean by forcing it.
A council can maybe be formed in a year or two when it's clear who top players are who actually might have to take some financial risks to travel to offline tournaments.
It's also not better to focus on one mode, at best you're going to split the community, at worst you're turning off people. People WILL play what they enjoy not what they're told to enjoy.

What's wrong with having a scene grow naturally?

People in Japan are only doing Tower Control tournaments for whatever reason. Then maybe the West Coast of the US loves to only play Rainmaker, and the East Coast only plays Splat Zones. What happens if we all wanna come together for one giant tournament to see who is the best? Obviously one game mode would favor a given area over another.
What's wrong with that, it's the same reason the USMNT isn't going to win a soccer world cup anytime soon and I see nothing wrong with that. People should play what they enjoy.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
What's wrong with that, it's the same reason the USMNT isn't going to win a soccer world cup anytime soon and I see nothing wrong with that. People should play what they enjoy.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying we shouldn't let people play what they want to play- I'm just saying for high level competition there needs to be some regulation for the game modes. That's why I suggested having 2 staple game modes (always an option in tournament) chosen by the majority, with 2 randomly chosen game modes with each team having a strike. If this were to be used, each team would remove one game mode they don't want to play, and if they can agree on one of the 2 remaining game modes, they play it. If not it's a coin flip on who gets to choose/strike again.

superman

Senior Squid
I'm not saying we shouldn't let people play what they want to play- I'm just saying for high level competition there needs to be some regulation for the game modes. That's why I suggested having 2 staple game modes (always an option in tournament) chosen by the majority, with 2 randomly chosen game modes with each team having a strike. If this were to be used, each team would remove one game mode they don't want to play, and if they can agree on one of the 2 remaining game modes, they play it. If not it's a coin flip on who gets to choose/strike again.
And I'm not saying that what you suggest is wrong or right, it's what you think would be a fun tournament.
I have been competing in FPS games for over a decade and I've seen what happened in a tournament that thad a pool consisting on nine maps. It was just too much for players to prepare for, we've seen a much too large amount of bad games. I'm all for having a manageable amount of options, having multiple modes and maps in the same tournament might introduce too many. No one knows how high level Splatoon will play out though and it'll take much more time than some people think until the scene has evolved enough to decide what's best for itself hence why I'm putting my eggs in the "wait and see" basket.

BTW I've been thinking of fun ways to help competitive players develop strategies and meta a little faster. I have a lot of stuff on my plate right now but hopefully I'll be able to present what I'm thinking of soon.

Moy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
moymemoy
This is exactly what I mean by forcing it.
A council can maybe be formed in a year or two when it's clear who top players are who actually might have to take some financial risks to travel to offline tournaments.
It's also not better to focus on one mode, at best you're going to split the community, at worst you're turning off people. People WILL play what they enjoy not what they're told to enjoy.

What's wrong with having a scene grow naturally?.
What are you talking about? We aren't trying to hold offline tournaments, and no one is trying to force anything. We are trying to build a league structure on this site which allows teams to participate against each other.

How can the scene grow naturally if there is no regulations? If you're going to participate then you should follow the rules. Also these things are probably going to be based on majority decision. I don't think you understand at all what we are trying to do.

THIS ISN'T SMASH

superman

Senior Squid
What are you talking about? We aren't trying to hold offline tournaments, and no one is trying to force anything. We are trying to build a league structure on this site which allows teams to participate against each other.

How can the scene grow naturally if there is no regulations? If you're going to participate then you should follow the rules. Also these things are probably going to be based on majority decision. I don't think you understand at all what we are trying to do.
Not right now but people will try sooner or later.
"Grow" may have been the wrong choice of word "evolve" might be better. Of course there has to be rules, they should not be decided now and be set in stone forever though, excluding modes would just instantly kill of what might be fun and intretesting. Squidboards won't be the only site holding leagues or tournaments, there's going to be different TOs who will be running different rulesets. I would urge people to stay open-minded and give different formats a try until we've gained enough experience with the game to decide what the most sensible format is.

I understand very well what you're triying to do but leagues or ladders have always been offered in a variety of formats for everyone to enjoy throughout the existence of competitive gaming. If your only goal is to create a prestigious league as soon as possible you're doing it wrong.

EDIT: In case you haven't noticed deciding on a standard ruleset based on prestige / popularity of a tournament is a majority decision

Last edited:

Theworstmaker

Inkling
NNID
Theworstmaker
.... I didnt mean for Turf to be used. I was referring to the new mew that is expected to come with the big update

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
I don't think other people (including myself) will enjoy towers in competitive play.
I think towers is great competitively, coordination is key in it, similar to tf2's payload mode.

Reactions: Moy

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
We had a really big thread over whether we should allow Turf Wars for competitive Splatoon but as things stand now, we're just too early on to make any concrete decisions.
I think @TheRapture came up with a really good idea for tournies where it's best of 5 (or 3, whatever) where Round 1 is Splat Zones, Round 2 is Tower Control and Round 3 is Turf Wars, ect ect, this would prevent a team full of Aerosprays and would require a team good at just about everything. It'd also be more fun to waatch.
But, as I already said, we aren't in any position to be making calls past....speculation?

I do have one important thing to say, and that is: When we get that August update, everyone should host a tournament using whatever rules they prefer, with whatever modes they prefer, so either one where it's all Splat Zones or one with every mode but Turf Wars, whatever you want.
Over time, people will learn what they enjoy playing more and what they enjoy watching more, and appropriate rules will follow. It's just a matter of playing the game, we'll figure it out in time, I highly doubt Splatoon is going to die just because we don't have a solid tournament ruleset yet. Play. The. Gane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom