• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Team Smeargle

Wiley

Smeargle
NNID
MrWiley
*Still in developement*​

I grew up loving Pokemon and one of my all time favorites from gen 2 and overall is Smeargle, the artistic beagle. I grew up a dog person and love art so aesthetically and conceptually, he's a perfect match.

Clearly we are in the early stages and team compositions aren't exactly going to be the main focus as much as getting our feet wet and discovering the game, but I wanted to share this idea and see if there was anyone else interested.

I was surprised I hadn't seen this connection made yet, but I think his flavor fits the Splatoon mind set perfectly so I'd love to rep this territorial color fiend in the future of league play and in the game in general.

Future Goals:

- Create logo, banner, and other team media.

- Recruit and scout talented players once the game is released and there is a better sense of the meta and those who excel with it.

- Decide on and fund for a designated Team Speak option or other communication platform for member use.

- Website with more detailed information for members including:
Member list
rules and policies
Team compositions and sub status
Collective media sources and any other useful information
Schedules for practices and tournaments.

I will need help with some of these goals but am happy to learn and lend a hand in areas others would be more suited to manage and certainly with things like website funding etc.

Current Important Postitions to fill
-Lead artist
-Lead programmer/website creation and management

Member rankings and admin/mod positions will become more important down the line and can't fairly be filled as of now, but any support and effort in helping with constructing and furthering the team and its progress will be significant.

We will transition from an "all are welcome" phase into more dedicated teams based on skill, commitment, and availability. I would like to focus first on comradery and helping the community grow together in these first stages of the game, so if you are looking for a more established group like one carrying over from a different game this may not be the right fit for you because I don't plan on making empty promises. Especially in a game we all have so little experience with. That being said, I like to win and have competitive drive so there will be a push for skill should you seek it.

Background and Media
Here is the episode in which smeargle gets the most face time in the old (very goofy... very corny) anime some of us had as children growing up. You certainly only need to see the beginning to follow the concept I'm getting at.

I will continue to update this original post with further media/ideas like team logos and cross smeargle/splatoon artwork. and more serious team information when it comes up. But for now I'm just posting the concept and seeing what you all think. I understand Pokemon is not everyone's style, but even at my age... I can't get rid of the nostalgia and love for the series and haven't seen a reason to want to yet, and think the combination is a very fun link in concepts.

*Any interested artists out there please feel free to join the effort and post here!

Last edited:

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Eh, I got way too many good memories of Pokemon not to indulge in rampant nostalgia. In fact, I still pick up Pokemon games every other release.

So, what do you got in mind for your squad, besides a visual theme? Like, exactly how hardcore do you intend for this to be? Would we go crush the opposition for three hours every night, or just hang out every week or so and join the occasional tourney for sh*t 'n giggles?

Also, preferred timezone. That's also kind of important.

To be honest, I'm slightly confused why someone would drum up interest just by introducing the mascot. There's already very few ways for a player to decide which squad is right for them (because you'll be trading a bunch of random yahoos online for a bunch of slightly less random yahoos from an online forum), so you might want to add more concrete info, like, right now.

Wiley

Smeargle
NNID
MrWiley
I intend to take this game quite seriously to be honest. As much as the game allows us to. I hold myself to standards and like to win so long term goals would be on the more serious end with a dedicated roster with subs from secondary teams barring time issues etc.

That being said I'm fully aware of time constraints, and the fact the game hasn't even come out yet... so I feel we'd have to start with more of a "all are welcome" approach at launch and then perhaps organize a few levels of teams (should there be enough interest) entirely based on skill levels and commitment shown.

Like I said, I like to win and push myself, it would be a bit empty to set up first tier rosters and concrete team positions etc. on forum activity alone so I feel an evolving casual>into>competitive approach would be most ideal for myself and those involved. I don't want to disrespect people down the line and don't want to burn bridges before we even know what we're getting into. I understand some people need more than that, but personally from a player's perspective seeking a squad, how can you buy anything anyone offers yet about this game and its team play? (other than finding an established clan from another game, but then this idea wouldn't even be in question to begin with lol)

So yes this is very much an early stage idea, but I think that's all I can offer for now without feeling like I'm building a clan castle out of cards and words alone.

But I will come up with more info for you when possible and seek possible templates and approaches to emulate, even with the very limited info available on the game's league play.

Last edited:

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
And that's the kind of thing I wanted to hear. Now I know you got a plan, and aren't just posting a cool name plus some copy-pasted "rules" that amount to "Don't be a waste of space and/or a d*ck"

I'll be holding off on committing to any squad for now, but I'll keep this one on the list.

Wiley

Smeargle
NNID
MrWiley
Solid,
thanks for the honesty Kayeka and show of standards yourself. Look forward to expanding on this and seeing how it grows.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
I have basically the same feelings about Gen 2. I played Crystal for many hours when I was a kid.

I don't want to make any commitments to squads before I get my hands on the game, but after release I'd be down to play a few rounds with you and consider joining your squad.

Wiley

Smeargle
NNID
MrWiley
Sounds good Shucks, (and yeah gen 2 was such a great advancement to something that was already pretty awesome)

and I understand people are going to have limited abilities to commit at this stage so that works for me :D
Interest is enough to keep me rolling on growth.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Very neat, good luck on this. :)

Wiley

Smeargle
NNID
MrWiley
updated OP a bit, so just giving the thread a bump

Everything still very much WIP as to be expected

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
getting our feet wet
I see what you did there...

Same here, no comittments but I'd like to play some games with members while we all learn the game. Maybe by August we'll all be settled down.

Would prefer a local group, though maybe I'll have a local and online group.

...as long as we avoid the word clan... I like tribe... Or team...

Wiley

Smeargle
NNID
MrWiley
No worries, no commitments required yet, too early a stage for everyone but always happy to see some interest.
It really makes me glad we get time to figure out the game before league play is even an option. Some people are upset it's not here by launch but it certainly makes life easier for people trying to organize with it being postponed to the near future.

And yes, 'clan' or 'guild' doesn't quite feel right for Splatoon :/
I'm leaning towards team at this point but options are all still in the air for now.

Thanks for stopping in and adding ;D
and lol at the quote, the amount of puns and subtle word play involved when it comes to this game seems to be endless, the site has puns everywhere you look.

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
I'd be interested although let's see if I don't suck. I didn't perform great at the global testfire but I also dedicated myself to the perceived weakest weapon, the splat charger. Found some cool and fun strategies and had some good games but never topped.

Might be confusing to go by "teamdelibird" in "team smeargle" though, lol

Wiley

Smeargle
NNID
MrWiley
Ah, Delibird eh? You can supply the snacks in your tail, and we can supply the ink from ours :3 There, even more concepts to connect (sorry it was a stretch)

Don't worry. Some people take more than 3 hours to evolve their playstyle and get comfortable in a game... especially one as innovative and new as this one. There will be quite some grace period before I start setting up team tiers to find your place in the game. But I also quite like the idea of having room for a larger cast of members who are looking for a friendly environment while they skill up and apply for team spots when they feel comfortable.

Thanks for your interest nonetheless.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
I'd be interested although let's see if I don't suck. I didn't perform great at the global testfire but I also dedicated myself to the perceived weakest weapon, the splat charger. Found some cool and fun strategies and had some good games but never topped.

Might be confusing to go by "teamdelibird" in "team smeargle" though, lol
Go by Deli!

Good luck with this team Wiley. : )

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
Ah, Delibird eh? You can supply the snacks in your tail, and we can supply the ink from ours :3 There, even more concepts to connect (sorry it was a stretch)

Don't worry. Some people take more than 3 hours to evolve their playstyle and get comfortable in a game... especially one as innovative and new as this one. There will be quite some grace period before I start setting up team tiers to find your place in the game. But I also quite like the idea of having room for a larger cast of members who are looking for a friendly environment while they skill up and apply for team spots when they feel comfortable.

Thanks for your interest nonetheless.
Yeah, I'll likely be playing this game a ridiculous amount so I'll have plenty of time to "git gud" and hopefully be up to standards. I'm definitely looking to play this game seriously.

Wiley

Smeargle
NNID
MrWiley
Sounds good Deli, then I hope to see you around as the Team developes and grows in these coming months.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
Oh yeah Smeargle fits very good to Splatoon :3 Good luck with your little Project~

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom