• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Splatoon-devs will remodell maps, so...

gameonion

Full Squid
NNID
gameonion
Why? Is there any reason behind it?

Splatoon's Japanese Twitter just confirmed this.

Take a look at this picture:

Those red-markings... What do they mean? Stuff that's being removed? Seems like Urchin Underpass is undergoing some BIG changes.

Also: Does that mean that other maps will be remodelled?

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Wow, this surprises me. I didn't expect Nintendo to change existing maps in huge ways - just a few blocks depending on the mode or a cover ballon here and there.

Especially not Underpass which is currently one of the better-thought-out maps in my opinion. It has it's issues with the choke points, though, and it looks Nintendo will just tackle this problem by making the choke point wider and adding additional flanking routes from above. At least that's what it looks to me in the picture.

About the circles I just had a flash of wit - THEY ARE THE TREES! Nintendo is going to remove the trees from the starting area and will put them into the center! This is a huge change, especially in SZ.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Wow, this surprises me. I didn't expect Nintendo to change existing maps in huge ways - just a few blocks depending on the mode or a cover ballon here and there.

Especially not Underpass which is currently one of the better-thought-out maps in my opinion. It has it's issues with the choke points, though, and it looks Nintendo will just tackle this problem by making the choke point wider and adding additional flanking routes from above. At least that's what it looks to me in the picture.

About the circles I just had a flash of wit - THEY ARE THE TREES! Nintendo is going to remove the trees from the starting area and will put them into the center! This is a huge change, especially in SZ.
This will limit how much you can shoot across the little gap in the center and will offer some neat areas to hide if it is true they are moving the trees and not omitting them entirely. I am curious if they remove them entirely instead of move them (The red swirly proofreading marks pointing to the center also meant delete I thought) if there is a glitch or exploit associated with the trees.

Edit: That picture to the right shows off a new ramp or something and the tree is still somewhere in the map so ??? There might be more changes than we thought.

Tigurr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
disasterbreak
Thank goodness for this, seriously, I can't stand Urchin Underpass (in Turf War, mainly), I hate how it's basically 'trap the opponent team first or be trapped', it's not particularly fun. I mean, trapping your opponents can happen/is the aim on pretty much any map, but the idea is super heightened on Underpass and I don't like it.

The redesign in the image looks pretty cool so I'm looking forward to it. (But I am sad about the tree)

Power

Inkling Commander
Thank goodness for this, seriously, I can't stand Urchin Underpass (in Turf War, mainly), I hate how it's basically 'trap the opponent team first or be trapped', it's not particularly fun. I mean, trapping your opponents can happen/is the aim on pretty much any map, but the idea is super heightened on Underpass and I don't like it.

The redesign in the image looks pretty cool so I'm looking forward to it. (But I am sad about the tree)
I feel that port mackerel suffers similar problems.

Calamari

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Toowrighteous
I just looked up a translation for the japanese tweet and this is what it had to say:

'For 3 days from 8/3 to 8/5, Urchin Underpass will be closed for maintenance, unavailable in regular and ranked matches.'

Welp.

Travelingpik

Full Squid
NNID
travelingpik
Feel like other maps need this more but its nice they are changing this. Its bad about its choke points. But this shows they will edit their maps which is good.

E-Liter Elite

Senior Squid
NNID
DroseraC

Agreed. I hate getting put on this map. It's probably my least favorite. There's almost no cover, there aren't any defensible ledges, and the walls are all so tall.

If they're moving the trees, that could help address cover and maybe it would be more tolerable.

E-Liter Elite

Senior Squid
NNID
DroseraC
I actually like urchin underpass but I get what people are coming from. I feel that Arowana mall is much worse with get there first and lock the another team out thing.
Yeah, Arowana can have that problem. So can Moray Towers. Also the new Camp Triggefish is horrendous about it in Turf Wars especially. Honestly, I think Kelp Dome is the only one that is open enough to avoid it, but I also don't want all maps to resemble it either.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
There WAS a poll that had voters list their least favorite maps, so maybe if people continue to speak out about bad stages, they'll remodel them.

Honestly I don't think anyone expected something like this, but it's much better for the devs to go "hey we messed up on this stage so we'll rectify it" instead of just leaving it and having the community go "We don't play on Urchin Underpass because blah blah blah"

Still, I hope they're very selective about remodels, even if I dislike Skatepark, I'd rather learn my way around it than wait for devs to change it.

Ika Ink-finite

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Infinite8
Urchin Underpass is my least fav map, both in Splat Zones and Tower Control. Lacked of other defensive areas besides the entrance to the center area.

Looking forward to the update.

MagnaX7

Full Squid
NNID
MagnaX7
Actually, looking at the picture, you can see that the wall below the balcony (sidepath) is blue and looks unpaintable.. Also the grating is also missing. Could it mean that the sidepaths can no longer be taken from the middle?

That somehow sound like a charger upside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom