• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Thumbnail for my YouTube video in showing off some game merchandise

GregDesSPTN100

Inkling
NNID
GPDUW100
I want to make a YouTube webcam video where I am showing off the different merchandise I own, as well as some accessories, and give out my thoughts on the final Splatfest coming up. The issue I'm facing is how I'm going to attract my audience to my video, even though my video itself won't be as hot as it looks; in particular, this custom thumbnail I want to put on.

For this, I want to experiment with different possibilities and see from public opinion which one is the most attractive. First one would be simple, which is this:

That's because I still am a full-time Software Engineering student at a university; I've been on an academic term for two months and will be finishing in one month. The problem is, there's no preview artwork for the Inklings nor the Squids. Not even an Octoling or DJ Octavio itself.

A second approach would have the Orange Inkling Girl in a standing pose, have the title logo on the right side of it, and underneath just have the word "MERCHANDISE" underneath it in the game's font face, all on top of a light blue background.

Another would be having the game's title logo, my engineering hardhat, my GamePad with a protector on it, and a simple color scheme such as a red background.

I'm pretty sure there are more ideas than just this, but that's all I got for now. Another possibility would be to have the Squid Sisters somewhere, or perhaps their logo.

Please let me know what you think.

John W

Inkster Jr.
Content Team
NNID
RetruateStudios
I'd have to see the other thumbnails to help you. IMO, thumbnails have to be bold, but not confusing. Although the design you just showed me looks good, it could be hard to read when placed as a small thumbnail.

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
i really like the idea of the second thumbnail, something simple, yet eyecatching and descriptive of the video's content. make sure the font is large so it can be read from a distance. maybe add an "+MORE!" to quickly show that you'll be talking about more things, which you can elaborate on in the title. squid sisters or the girl inkling could work, but maybe squid sisters is more preferable if you're talking about the final splatfest, and maybe the new amiibos if you have them?

also, your thumbnails have to be in 16:9 ratio, i believe?

GregDesSPTN100

Inkling
NNID
GPDUW100
The aspect ratio of my thumbnail definitely needs to be 16:9, yet significantly large enough so that it doesn't look pixelated when a user sees it on a window that's larger than what you see in the search results.

I definitely do not want to add too much text because it makes it so hard to see and less attractive. I like your idea, Cuttlefish.

EDIT: It seems that this might be my best choice so far, but now there's something I'm pondering about. When I put the Inkling Girl in, should I show the top half, the top half and her shorts, or completely herself?

I don't know what would be a preference for most people, but I like it when the whole body is shown.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom