• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Tips & Tricks for Competitive Players

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
I'm starting this thread in hopes that it'll become a compilation of tips and tricks to ranked mode battles and weapon uses. I'm currently S rank as of posting this and a Luna Blaster main, but I'm still good with every other weapon class (except rollers). I wanted to share some of the things I've noticed while battling and am curious to see what other people have seen. So please, if you've found an effective position, strategy, exploit, etc. (or have seen someone else using it), please share it! I'll go first with a few that I use:

• When using the Slosher at Moray Towers in Tower Control, you can stop the enemies' advance fairly safely by shooting through the yellow gate on your side's elevated area. You can see it here:
    image.png
    Hiding behind the gate and spamming the Slosher towards the tower as it approaches will eventually take out everyone on the tower, or at least get them to jump off it. (Be careful that an enemy Inkling doesn't get the jump on you by sneaking up the wall)

• You can use the Squid Beakon sub-weapon as a shield in certain smaller closed spaces, such as the opening points of Bluefin Depot or the narrow side paths of Arowana Mall. Placing all three ( that's the maximum) in a line across those types of places (or really anywhere) can act as a small buffer against an opponent's first shots, giving you enough time to counterattack (so it's kinda like a Splash Wall). I've used it effectively namely with the Dual Squelcher Custom and the Custom E-Liter 3K. I wouldn't recommend relying on the shield with short range weapons though, since it blocks you from advancing on the enemy. Even then, however, it would still be handy cover for your teammates.

• It's a given that the Luna Blaster excels at close range, but it's also deceptively amazing at killing enemies above you on ledges and stuff. Because of this, the weapon thrives at Walleye Warehouse. If you can position yourself right in front of the ramp on the enemies' spawner, you can completely punish the other team.
    image.jpeg
    This is the enemies' point of view. By alternatively hiding behind the two walls that are next to the middle ramp, you can scout out the enemies' position as they leave the spawner and splat them by surprise. If you can maintain this pattern enough to keep two or three of the enemy Inklings stuck at their spawn, your teammates will have plenty of time to take the advantage. Note that placing an Ink Mine in the center of the ramp can provide you with a little bit of insurance in case you find yourself flanked by multiple enemies (NOTE: only plant the mine between enemy spawn times, it's pointless to plant it just to get gunned down).

Last edited:

Saturn

LFT mid range, former xlt
NNID
Saturnity
Switch Friend Code
SW-7252-9309-8314
  • It's a given that the Luna Blaster excels at close range, but it's also deceptively amazing at killing enemies above you on ledges and stuff. Because of this, the weapon thrives at Walleye Warehouse. If you can position yourself right in front of the ramp on the enemies' spawner, you can completely punish the other team.

I wouldn't recommend trying to spawncamp there with any weapon. You'll get one surprise kill after all that time trying to get into position, then a grenade will force you out where you can get shot. You'll be best off trying that if you're about to win tower control and you're trying to slow down spawners.

Power

Inkling Commander
Ranked /Scrim Exp.
(just one cause im tired right now)
In Port Mackerel, as a 3k when the enemy is pushing in hard on you. Sniping from the crate in the middle (the one with no inkable ground, but a wall) has proved to be very effective for me. You can't really be hit without the enemy exposing themselves significantly (enough to be destroyed by you or your teammate. On rainmaker it is not as good (platform that makes it easy for them to access.) I feel that it is better than hiding out on the sides as you get greater access and more safety. (recover on wall to get ur ink back)

Problems I see with it are that if you focus too much on it and fall, it takes quite a bit to get back to it. Beacons may help...

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
I wouldn't recommend trying to spawncamp there with any weapon. You'll get one surprise kill after all that time trying to get into position, then a grenade will force you out where you can get shot. You'll be best off trying that if you're about to win tower control and you're trying to slow down spawners.
I know it sounds really risky, but I've managed to pull it off the majority of the times I've attempted it. Gliding on the wall actually gives you a perfect view of the spawner, so you can always see where everyone comes from. Also, considering that you made sure no one was tailing you from behind, the enemies not stuck at the spawn should be focused on your teammates. Sure there might be better options depending on the enemies' weapon picks and such; my goal with the post is to just give players another option to consider.

I'm also not saying you have to stay there, but it's helpful to get three or four kills off of the different enemies' initial respawns (the first surprise attack on each enemy), and then pulling back to surprise them from somewhere else.

Last edited:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
-Don't superjump directly in the fray, unless you have no other option. This is common sense but i keep seeing this happen all the time, even in S rank.
-Don't instantly blame your team if you lose, figure out what mistakes happened that costed you the match.
-If you're the last man standing, don't attack but defend and try to live through. Wipes allow your enemy brief but complete access to the map without resistance. This can cost you an entire match if you're playing Rainmaker.
-Never attack as a group, spread out so you can guard flanks and not get wiped immediately by blasters/rollers/chargers. Only bunch together if you have a good reason.
-Know when to push and when to defend. If you got a very strong lead going keep it calm, esp. with Tower/Rainmaker. Several times i've had it that we got a really strong lead early on, but my team kept pushing for a knockout only to keep getting wiped leading to a comeback from the enemy team. And of course, push when you're at the point of losing because you got nothing else to lose at that point.
-If someone rapidly taps nice/booyah, this does not mean the person is complimenting/being annoying but trying to alarm you. This means that the person just got splatted and someone is trying to flank the rest of the team.
-If someone activates kraken when you're wielding RM and there are no enemies nearby, it usually means that it wants you to chase in it's inktrail to the pedestal. I'd strongly recommend following it. Same thing goes for brushes, if you have those on your team.
-If you're playing RM and you only have 5-10 or so points to break the lead of the enemy team, don't stop going forward even if you're going to get splatted. Having a lead in this mode is crucial.
-If you want to raise your rank don't play Rainmaker or Port /w Zones, RM is impossible to carry in solo queue and if you get boxed in at SZ Port you're doomed no matter how good you are at carrying.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Got a few I don't see people using too often, hopefully this will aid my fellow Dynamo Roller and Heavy Splatling mains out there.

• For Dynamo Rollers, I'm sure you know you're not meant to be in the front line, so, while you're holding back, or a choke point, throw out a Sprinkler as a decoy and hide in an advantageous spot over looking it. When an opponent runs by, chances are they will take it out, when they do, sprout out and take them out. They won't have the time to take you and the Sprinkler out as long as you are in a good spot. Having Echolocator only makes this process easier giving you the capability to see when someone is coming.

• For my Heavy Splatlings, all too often do I see you using your Inkstrikes unsafely. Well, I've got just the tip for you. Because you are 9 times out of 10 playing a more defensive role, you have a little bit of time before shooting off your inkstrike. You can fire it off where you stand, however, to ensure your safety, why not find yourself a corner, and pop a Splash Wall up between the two walls and guarantee you get your Inkstrike off in case an opponent decides to flank. This applies to any weapon with the Splash Wall + Inkstrike combination.

Last edited:

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon
  • It's a given that the Luna Blaster excels at close range, but it's also deceptively amazing at killing enemies above you on ledges and stuff. Because of this, the weapon thrives at Walleye Warehouse. If you can position yourself right in front of the ramp on the enemies' spawner, you can completely punish the other team. View attachment 1963 This is the enemies' point of view. By alternatively hiding behind the two walls that are next to the middle ramp, you can scout out the enemies' position as they leave the spawner and splat them by surprise. If you can maintain this pattern enough to keep two or three of the enemy Inklings stuck at their spawn, your teammates will have plenty of time to take the advantage. Note that placing an Ink Mine in the center of the ramp can provide you with a little bit of insurance in case you find yourself flanked by multiple enemies (NOTE: only plant the mine between enemy spawn times, it's pointless to plant it just to get gunned down).
Hm. I see.

So how do you handle the map when you're in the middle area of Walleye Warehouse (where the boxes are). A lot of the time, you have to splat a few enemies to get to the 2nd ramp.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Hm. I see.

So how do you handle the map when you're in the middle area of Walleye Warehouse (where the boxes are). A lot of the time, you have to splat a few enemies to get to the 2nd ramp.
So as far as getting to their spawner, it's more of a matter of chance. An example would be when you get lucky and take out two or three guys in quick succession (or someone else does), or if you happen to know where the enemies are, and you can verify they'll be occupied with anything other than hunting you (so make sure they either didn't notice you or someone else is attacking them). I think it's best to consider attempting my strategy when you find that you have a convient route to reach their spawner, which happens often when you're looking for it (at least for me, so I'm sorry if it doesn't work out for you).

I usually try to stay out of the direct center of Walleye, hiding in the sides. Most of the time I'll initially take the right path so I can splat the enemy taking the elevated side path from below, and then sneak along the wall so I can splat the enemies in the center or around their large crate (the one that's commonly sniped on). From then on (for the most part), I stick to the left and right sides so I can take care of the enemies that try to take those routes. I also make sure that I paint that area when no one's around, since turf superiority is everything for the Luna. If I make it to the middle, I'll usually shoot around the corners of the boxes to get the enemy, or hide on the boxes' walls if they get too close, then surprise them. Waiting for the enemy to climb on the box rather than spamming the Luna is good too; it makes them sitting ducks for your attacks (you can't jump away from a Luna shot, especially if the shot comes from below) (Also make sure if you choose to wait that you know where their coming from, or in other words watch their movements. It makes all the difference when you know where they're coming from).

However, be sure to pay attention to Rollers, Splash Walls, and range attacks from the enemies' crate- those are what usually splat me (especially the Rollers that jump from the crate). Well in the Splash Walls case, you can swim around and get them from behind, but ONLY try it if you have ink superiority; don't try to paint around it. Another good strategy for a Splash Wall is to swim up the boxes and shoot them from above.

So to summarize, I play Wallaye from the sides, surprise attacking the flankers. If I happen to be in the middle, I play sneaky, dirty, and swiftly. That's what I recommend. Also I love Walleye Warehouse, it's perfect for the Luna. So is Blackbelly.

I'll probably put up stuff for Blackbelly later as well.

Last edited:

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
-If you want to raise your rank don't play Rainmaker or Port /w Zones, RM is impossible to carry in solo queue and if you get boxed in at SZ Port you're doomed no matter how good you are at carrying.
If you are carrying on zones port then there is no way you are getting boxed in the first place, even if you do die. Zones port is one of my favorite modes to rank up in with, As long as your team can basically play turf war (for map control) you can carry. Map control is super important in that map, zones is basically the entire map in port.

People get boxed in Port because they go tilt as soon as the camp starts and dont push with there team. You cant 1v4 port when enemy has map control, even carrying you can take out 1-2 but unless your team is pushing with you (even as fodder for a distraction) you are going to die and continue to get camped.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
If you are carrying on zones port then there is no way you are getting boxed in the first place, even if you do die. Zones port is one of my favorite modes to rank up in with, As long as your team can basically play turf war (for map control) you can carry. Map control is super important in that map, zones is basically the entire map in port.

People get boxed in Port because they go tilt as soon as the camp starts and dont push with there team. You cant 1v4 port when enemy has map control, even carrying you can take out 1-2 but unless your team is pushing with you (even as fodder for a distraction) you are going to die and continue to get camped.
I exclusively play Solo Queue, so that one's probably my fault. I need all 4 people on our team pushing at the same time when the enemy team is camping but that's not going to happen if we keep running at them one by one. I've really should've mentioned map control in the list and it's not just important for Mackerel but just about every map out there, it's nothing but frustrating having to turf with a weapon that's bad for inking the map.

I'd imagine RM would also be a lot easier to play if you have Squads.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Just a quick thought that I felt I should add.

If you're on the front lines, and often find yourself stuck in enemy ink (especially if you run swim speed up), try out ink resistance up. It may or may not sound like a given to you, depending on whether or not you use it, but I thought I'd say something about it since I used to think it was worthless. It makes the amount of enemy ink you can cross over before it forces you out by a good chunk, meaning it's a lot easier to sneak around and catch the enemy by surprise. Hope it helps!

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
When playing against chargers that have good accuracy, use obstacles and focus on covering turf to build up your Special Gauge, instead of confronting them head on. Once you have your Special Weapon, whatever it is, use it so that your teammates can make a good push, and overwhelm any charger easily. This tip is mainly for shorter ranged weapons, since they often cover turf faster then longer ranged ones.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
-Don't superjump directly in the fray, unless you have no other option. This is common sense but i keep seeing this happen all the time, even in S rank.
-Don't instantly blame your team if you lose, figure out what mistakes happened that costed you the match.
-If you're the last man standing, don't attack but defend and try to live through. Wipes allow your enemy brief but complete access to the map without resistance. This can cost you an entire match if you're playing Rainmaker.
-Never attack as a group, spread out so you can guard flanks and not get wiped immediately by blasters/rollers/chargers. Only bunch together if you have a good reason.
-Know when to push and when to defend. If you got a very strong lead going keep it calm, esp. with Tower/Rainmaker. Several times i've had it that we got a really strong lead early on, but my team kept pushing for a knockout only to keep getting wiped leading to a comeback from the enemy team. And of course, push when you're at the point of losing because you got nothing else to lose at that point.
-If someone rapidly taps nice/booyah, this does not mean the person is complimenting/being annoying but trying to alarm you. This means that the person just got splatted and someone is trying to flank the rest of the team.

-If someone activates kraken when you're wielding RM and there are no enemies nearby, it usually means that it wants you to chase in it's inktrail to the pedestal. I'd strongly recommend following it. Same thing goes for brushes, if you have those on your team.
-If you're playing RM and you only have 5-10 or so points to break the lead of the enemy team, don't stop going forward even if you're going to get splatted. Having a lead in this mode is crucial.
these are wonderful, particularly the highlighted points which i wish i could tell almost all my teammates on randoms.

REMEMBER TO KEEP WATCH OF YOUR TEAM. be defensive when your teammates are getting knocked out (unless you have a great shot that you'll almost surely get). and don't rush into enemy territory just because you took out one enemy -- i typically stick to turf wars for the lack of stress, but i lose a lot of matches when despite getting tons of kills my teammates just rush forward without adequately securing each area. sure, they ink a lot of enemy ink, but they die very quickly and all that ink gets covered back up rapidly. better to watch the balance, hang back a little, and move gradually unless you have a 3-4 squid advantage over the other team.

Holidaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
dyngledong
I like what's been said in this thread, I'd like to add, if you're familiar, or not so familiar with a map and like a particular mode, i recommend to recon or play a private match with a friend on the map. Not only for a better feel, but also spots you might have missed which could be essential for either ink mines, beakons, or flanks.

-Edit- Forgot to add that you can generally try out some strategies you think of, i.e. Time trial to get to objective, possible unforeseen flanks, defensive plays, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom