• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Walleye Warehouse: Analysis and Thoughts

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Note: This thread will be in a constant state of WIP. Will be updated when new content becomes known.

Welcome to the Walleye Warehouse Analysis thread. Where we will try to gather and express as much info as we can on this stage.

This thread will hopefully find all sorts of strategies and cool details about this stage.

So without further ado.

Walleye Warehouse

Map Layout:

Overview:
Total BP: 1600

Walleye Warehouse was one of the two stages we all got to play in during the Global testfire.

Walleye Warehouse is pretty direct. Both spawn points are at opposite ends and the map is small. Making for some interesting back and forth play.

"Walleye Warehouse is a close quarters map." - Splatoon Direct Announcer

Because of its close quarters nature, fights do break out often.

“Teams are locked in a Tug-of-war on two sides of a series of obstacles.” -Splatoon Direct Announcer

Indeed, it is often found that games can be turn around in seconds. Due to how short the map is, it is very easy to get back in and claim more turf.

There also has been issues pointed out about potential for spawn camping. Further investigation on prevent this should be done.

Inkopolis News Info:
Callie: "Try not to spray all of the cargo with ink, will you?"
Marie: "Whatevs! The ink vanishes when the battle's over!

Callie: Get up high, and shoot the opponents from above!
Marie: Or, you know, don't...

Callie: "Judd always appears out of nowhere after the battle(?). I swear I will never get used to that!"
Marie: "His eyes glow in the dark! True story!"

Callie: "In a dimly lit warehouse(?) two brave inklings prepare to meet their destin-
Marie: "BATTLING! They're battling, aren't they?!"
Strategies:
-WIP-

Extras:
-WIP-

Please help us find more info. I'll update the thread accordingly.

Last edited:

Life

Senior Squid
Spawn camping can be prevented through good team composition (i.e. four-roller teams are bad and have always been bad) and intelligent play (not charging headlong into the blockade, since you can't be attacked on the respawn platform, and you have unlimited ink thanks to being able to dive into the respawn point). Grenades are useful in that situation.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
One thing I want to point out on this map, I did this a lot and saw that most people do it too, but you shouldn't walk down the black un-inkable ramps, those are there to make it harder for enemies to go up, but you should avoid them to go down, this is specially important for rollers, don't waste time walking on those black spaces.

There is space to the left when dropping the first level and right at the second drop where you can land directly in ink and go forward much faster, I usually avoid them altogether by taking the path on the left, but if you choose to go over there, avoid those spaces. Also if you wish to go defend your base, you should also avoid climbing them by super-jumping to spawn-point.

Radi

Senior Squid
NNID
InfinityBeamX
I know that the intentions were to make a closed-in arena, but it doesn't seem to be very fun in my opinion. Very little skill can be utilized in this arena, and the spawn camping makes it worse. Probably one of my least favorite arenas that I have seen thus far. Hoping for something fun to be made of this arena, but I don't see it happening. Others may think differently about it though.

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
Backdooring is pretty easy on this map. You can avoid the central area entirely and head straight for the enemy base. That combined with playing far more of it than I would do if given a choice has made me kind of hate Walleye Warehouse. For Splat Zones it will be much more tolerable, but I'm not too excited by the idea of playing Turf War on it.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
As I posted in the other thread about spawn camping, you don't need to paint terrain near you, focusing on the center of the map or enemy territory, and leaving the opponents painting your terrain if they wish, can turn the battle even if you don't control the area near your spawn point. Largely dominating teams will only occur if the team is really not that skilled.

RayneTheSkunk

Inkster Jr.
When being spawn camped on this map your best choices are to super jump to another player if possible or try to swim your way around them and head to their base. When they are camping your base their own base is often unprotected or is only covered by one person. This makes the perfect opertunity to paint their spawn while they are busy with yours and allows you reclaim roughly the same amount of ground before going back to the middle. If you have either bomb supers I would recommend not to worry about repainting your own base until you have a super on lock (unless time is running out). Once your bomb super is up just throw as many at your own base as possible.

That's my recommendation how to cover spawn camping on this map anyway. The best option of course is to not let it happen. People usually get in your spawn from that ramp located to the right (right from the spawn point's perspective). Its important to keep an eye on this location and prevent people from getting in or stop anyone you notice getting in. This job should take only one player. At the very least a charger who can look over to check every once in a while. If you notice no one is covering this or keeping it in mind then please take initiative and cover it. If you have a sticky bomb, locator mine, or mine (I forgot their official names) place one on that ramp to stop people.

While it is incredibly infuriating I don't think the spawn camping is a map ruiner. The objective is to cover ground and your base is valuable ground its only sensible it will be attacked, and only sensible that you should also attack there's. I think this makes for an interesting case of having to play both offensive and defensive sense both teams have to try to infiltrate and block. I think it can be very exciting once people collectively realize this.

Mr_Destiny

Inkling

This map has some good high ground for snipers. The enemy can't swim up the sides of the long platforms with the two pieces of cardboard, so they're relatively safe from sneak attacks. The only ways I can think of to take out snipers are sneaking up the ramps and attacking from behind, chucking grenades, or using a superweapon. It probably won't be safe for long after the game comes out since people will learn to use their secondary weapons more often.

FuncDetail

Inkster Jr.
NNID
FuncDetail
I was analysing the Aerospray MG footage from the Japanese Nintendo Youtube Channel, which happens to take place in this map, and the loadout seems insanely effective in that map. The Inkzooka/Seeker combo is awesome when covering the small ramp next to the center area. This way the rest of the team can almost roam the other part of the map to keep the enemy at bay. You can also reach the center of the map in record time using the Seeker.
I will definitely try this when the game comes out and I can get my tentacle on that weapon/loadout.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I can certainly see that. There is a lot less ground to cover on that map so it also being a short ranged weapon helps a lot. Due to closed quarters nature of the map, the inkzooka and seeker really are amazing there.

DatGuyAegis

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Tmoney670
Walleye is a battle map it isn't as much about turf strategy because there isn't much turf to cover. This is a map where kills matter to get more turf

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The L region of the map is a common place for people to miss. I suggest covering up the area with your ink at the last 30 seconds of the match because it's not worth your time to stay there in the match.

Citanul

Senior Squid
NNID
outforprophets
The L region of the map is a common place for people to miss. I suggest covering up the area with your ink at the last 30 seconds of the match because it's not worth your time to stay there in the match.
Interesting take. If I'm playing Roller/Splattershot Jr. I tend to get that area first, more so with Splattershot Jr. By the time I reach the grate, I either have my special weapon charged up or be very close to having it charged up. You can catch some people early on with a well placed Killer Wail because of this. It is a common place for people to miss, at least not on my team :P

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Interesting take. If I'm playing Roller/Splattershot Jr. I tend to get that area first, more so with Splattershot Jr. By the time I reach the grate, I either have my special weapon charged up or be very close to having it charged up. You can catch some people early on with a well placed Killer Wail because of this. It is a common place for people to miss, at least not on my team :p
Ah, cool. Thanks for sharing.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
When I'm using the splatcharger, I tend to stay back on the higher areas and move between the main area in the center, and the areas to the left and right. The ink grenade is very useful in the much less open areas.

h.JC

Inkster Jr.
Trieste is right about the Ls being ignored. I've had the opposing team fail to take what are essentially free points multiple times. I tend to head there first, like Citanul, because it brings Splat Jr. very close to a full charge, allowing me to put up Bubbler and apply ridiculous early game aggression at the other team's base. While this doesn't tend to "work out" in the sense of me inking everywhere, it does usually occupy 2 opposing team members, meaning my squad is establishing control of the center.

Osha

Full Squid
NNID
Oshawatt
I might be in the minority here, but I find this map really annoying to play in. While, sure, it's action-packed, there's not much room to move around in general, making the center area just pure chaos and it goes against what I like in the Turf Wars mode. Though it'll probably be a better map in Splat Zones.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
"L" is also the best path to avoid "spawn camping", if you need to start a comeback while the center is mostly occupied by the opposing team, that path is a really great way to reach the center and quickly access the enemy "R" from there you can start to attack them from behind and it is way more effective than going head-on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom