• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

What about Splatoon made you want it?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
The outfits, weapons, and movement definitely!

kunoichi squid

Inkling Cadet
The first thing that drew me in was actually the artwork; after that I thought it was awesome that it looks like a combo of shooter and stealth. I can't wait to see if I'm right and if so how I will be able to integrate it all together! :)

Michael!

Inkster Jr.
On how competitive it can be. Plus it's new and fresh then our modern shooters.

DaKid

Pro Squid
Pretty much the character design and unique gameplay and concept. When I first seen the trailer I was confused as to what it really was, but when I actually watched the trailer (after my Hype high from E3) then I was like, WOW!

Reactions: Lyn

TheSpeedyMouse

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheSpeedyMouse
How creative it was! The Treeehouse footage just looked amazing as it was complete chaos and there was lots of strategic elements! The customization then drew me in even more!

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
The verve and energy. Plus the idea of ink acting as territory control, win condition, and movement enabler all at once

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
I was actually initially excited about the use of gyro aiming controls in a multiplayer shooter. The territory control based game modes look like a lot of fun, the artstyle is great, and I love that there is so much variety in clothing options for you character!

TheSpeedyMouse

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheSpeedyMouse
Oh I also loved the idea that you basically shoot swimming pools! :p Oh and the character designs!

Madame Coleen

Inkster Jr.
Like most games the first thing that got me was the artstyle. Splatoon is a multiplayer shooter I feel I've been wanting for a LONG time.
Nice and colorful. Cartoon-ish graphics. Fun character designs. And a lower age focus so its fun for all ages.

The game had me sold since the first trailer. Its been a while since I've been this excited for a new game.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
Suave outfits, Gameplay looked pretty fun and character design. I thought this game would have good features due to younger devs but nope.

LunarDistortion

Inkster Jr.
It's a new IP that is very unique and has some pretty cool and new ideas brought in for it. Not to mention all the similarities with my favorite Mario game, Mario Sunshine, which only adds to my excitement.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
It's a new IP that is very unique and has some pretty cool and new ideas brought in for it. Not to mention all the similarities with my favorite Mario game, Mario Sunshine, which only adds to my excitement.
If there isn't a Mario Sunshine reference somewhere in this game i'll cry.

KniteLyfe

Full Squid
NNID
KniteLyfe
My initial reaction to the reveal "trailer" during the E3 presentation was basically "Whaaat?", which progressed over the course of 48 hours or so to "I need to buy a Wii U... For this game!" Which of course I own now. Why this is the case, I'm not really sure. Probably a mix of what others have already said; art, gameplay, story/idea.

Biscuit

Inkster Jr.
For me, it is mostly the movement. I don't really like shooters very much because moving around is boring, generally. I like some Halo, TF2 and Unreal Tournament sometimes because movement is unlike it is in "modern" shooters like Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc. Splatoon's movement looks exciting and tricky. Lots of potential there.

Plus, there is always something to do in Splatoon. When you're walking back to the front lines, you can at least shoot some ink at some un-inked places. That is, if you don't super jump right back into the action. It seems like there won't be a dull moment in Splatoon, except MAYBE right when the game starts and you ink your base while walking to the battleground.

AEM

The Saltsui no Hadou
I was super interested from the announcement video because the style kept me curious.
I play TF2 a lot, so when similarities between the two began to be more apparent I was only drawn in further.

Aura

Infiltrator
When I first saw Splatoon, I thought immediately of old nickolodeon. But graphics are not what pulled me in. I'm a big fan of TF2, and the similarities really got me to jump into the hype train. I also believe Nintendo been needing something like this for a long time, and I have faith this game will defiantly be one of the best games of the year.

NNID DubaloSeven

Inkster Jr.
Aside from being a new Nintendo IP (something we've really only gotten 3/4 of in the past ten years besides Brain Age and Wii [insert thing here] games) it's a shooter with platformer style movement options. Swimming up wall and super jumping alone give it a drastically different meta (i don't what shooter fans would call it so I'm just using fighting game terms) than any other shooter out there.

Also the aesthetics are off the charts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom