• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Why is splatoon so addicting?!

Squip

Inkling
NNID
endermancrossing
I can't stop playing the game and it's been affecting me

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
For me it's because I pretty much always get to do the most important part of a shooter, using your gun (even if it's not to shoot someone). Besides, any game that lets you use a minigun equivalent as a main weapon deserves my attention :ability_damage:

Newtonjar

Senior Squid
I think it has the hallmark of all really addicting games, easy to pick up, easy to play and difficult to master. It's easy to start playing because it requires very little time to start playing unlike something like league of legends a match only lasts a couple of minutes, so it isn't very intimidating. It easily has the "one more level" drive to it. This all combines to make an extremely addicting game.

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
It's easy to just sit down, play it in short bursts and feel like you progressed or learned something new.

_clementine

Inkster Jr.
Yeah, I think what makes it addicting is the bite-sized matches and how easy it is to get into. It's actually a pretty deep game, but it's very accessible. And I think the aesthetic is really refreshing; it's a nice change from all of the serious shooters out there.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
For me, the addiction comes from how it distances itself from other shooters. You are so much more mobile, and can be stealthy without camping. Also inking turf gives something to do other than wander around the map looking for kills.

For me it's because I pretty much always get to do the most important part of a shooter, using your gun (even if it's not to shoot someone). Besides, any game that lets you use a minigun equivalent as a main weapon deserves my attention :ability_damage:

I'll just agree with both of these. I get so easily bored in other shooters. Half the time you're just wandering around, and when combat DOES happen against an opponent that you've encountered, it's over in 2 seconds. Sometimes with BOOM HEADSHOT!!!!!!111 which I've always found to be an annoying mechanic. Mobility is usually low, there's rarely any emphasis on it, and 95% of the time, you're not actually shooting anything.

I grew up with games like Doom and such, which emphasize extreme mobility, speed, and actually dodging things, instead of doing what I call "hide & snipe", which seems to define basically every FPS out there these days, except for this game and Team Fortress 2 (which is absolute chaos). Yeah, you CAN camp a spot in this with an E-liter and just pop opponents if you so choose, but you dont HAVE to play like that with every damn gun, and opponents can actually find you via the aiming beam instead of being constantly popped by an opponent that they never see. It also means they can dodge, which is actually INTERESTING.

And of course those older games also emphasized CONSTANT use of all of the game's mechanics, which definitely involved shooting stuff. Blasting things is half the fun of it. Splatoon encourages me to shoot literally everything, which is the most fun I've had in one of these in a long time. My natural inclination in most games (particularly fighters) is to charge at stuff and go berserk (or in the case of the Splatling, stand there, hold an area with constant firing, and laugh maniacally), and unlike most shooters, this one lets me actually do that.

Not to mention creative and interesting weapons (a freaking bucket! A paintbrush!) and subs/specials. I dont like the Inkstrike one bit, but I do like pretty much everything else.

I really hope to see MORE creative and interesting shooters like this. This is the first one to give me that Doom-like rush of chaos in awhile. Well, there's been other interesting shooters, but they're usually focused entirely on single-player and often are PC-only.

ChezB

Inkling
The game design is Nintendo quality. Constant stream of updates. Blooming competitive scene. Etc, etc.

And the randomness; one of the great trademarks of an addicting game. Each playthrough presents itself with players all over the world, each with their own weapon preferences and so on. There's nothing quite beautiful like watching your roller team completely wreck the other team.

16bitdave

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
16bitdave
Switch Friend Code
SW-4349-8419-7001
I've been addicted for quite some time now. Doing squad matches with my brother and all the new stuff they keep adding to the game makes it super addicting

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom