• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Wii Remote + Nunchuk controls

MrGameBoy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaveFeimous
Looking at the Wii U's eShop listing for this game and from press previews, Splatoon only supports the Wii U GamePad, Wii U Pro Controller, and the Wii Classic Controller (Pro) as of now. As someone who has played shooters with Wii controls, it's disappointing not to be able to play this game with pointer-based controls, especially since Nintendo provides many control options for most of its games. Below is my suggested Wii Remote (Plus) + Nunchuk control scheme, with mappings from the Wii U GamePad's inputs in parentheses:

IR Pointer (similar to the gyroscope): Aim cursor
Turn camera (based on the "deadzone" in Metroid Prime 3’s Advanced Controls)
Control Stick (identical to the Left Stick): Move
Hold (-) + Control Stick (similar to +Control Pad on the GamePad): Ping teammates (multiplayer)
Select Sub Weapon (single-player)
[ Z ] (identical to [ ZL ]): Transform into a squid
(identical to [ ZR ]): Use Primary Weapon
(C) (identical to [ R \): Use Sub Weapon
(A) (identical to (X)): Jump
DOWN button on the +Control Pad (identical to (Y)): Reset camera
SIDE buttons on the +Control Pad (similar to tilting the Right Stick): Turn camera left or right
UP button on the +Control Pad (similar to pressing the Right Stick): Activate Super Weapon
(+) (identical to (+)): Pause game (single-player)
Hold (+) + Control Stick: Super Jump to a specific teammate or spawn point (multiplayer)
Optional MotionPlus functionality: Gyroscope-based cursor (when IR Pointer is off-screen or cannot
be detected by the Sensor Bar)
NOTE: Wii U GamePad can still be used as a map and for Super Jumping to teammates and/or spawn points.

Hopefully, these controls can be announced in the Splatoon Direct (highly doubt it though) or patched in later. Is there anyone else who wants Wii Remote support?

Last edited:

Shaggy_MN_1975

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shaggy_MN_1975
I have always preferred the Wii-mote controls for use in FPS games. I think it would work well in this game too. Hopeful for an announcement of the Wii-mote as an option during this weeks Nintendo Direct.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Eh, considering how Nintendo keeps harping on their gamepad as the main source of control for this game, I highly doubt we'll be getting wiimote controls. They really, really, want you to play with the gamepad.

And classic controllers can only be used in Dojo mode.

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
No, I don't think there's going to be Wii-mote support. The only reason they even included Pro Controller support is due to the Battle Dojo, which is a tacked-on local multiplayer experience they'd have been better off leaving out, as it compromises what they were trying to build.

MrGameBoy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaveFeimous
Eh, considering how Nintendo keeps harping on their gamepad as the main source of control for this game, I highly doubt we'll be getting wiimote controls. They really, really, want you to play with the gamepad.

And classic controllers can only be used in Dojo mode.
No, I don't think there's going to be Wii-mote support. The only reason they even included Pro Controller support is due to the Battle Dojo, which is a tacked-on local multiplayer experience they'd have been better off leaving out, as it compromises what they were trying to build.
Well, if the demand is there, Nintendo might add Wiimote functionality, as Nintendo has patched in control options in games like New Super Mario Bros. U, Pikmin 3, and NES Remix. Also, I think it's silly that the Classic Controller is restricted to Battle Dojo, as that controller has almost as many input options as the Pro Controller barring clickable analog sticks. Heck, why not add GameCube controller support too?

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Well, if the demand is there, Nintendo might add Wiimote functionality, as Nintendo has patched in control options in games like New Super Mario Bros. U, Pikmin 3, and NES Remix. Also, I think it's silly that the Classic Controller is restricted to Battle Dojo, as that controller has almost as many input options as the Pro Controller barring clickable analog sticks. Heck, why not add GameCube controller support too?
That would be great if they patched it in later, maybe it will draw in some more people. However, I still feel like the GamePad is the way to go, control wise. You have the best of both worlds with it. Gyroscope controls, and analog controls. Hybrid of both the wiimote and pro controller. Plus you get a nifty map on it too.

MrGameBoy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaveFeimous
That would be great if they patched it in later, maybe it will draw in some more people. However, I still feel like the GamePad is the way to go, control wise. You have the best of both worlds with it. Gyroscope controls, and analog controls. Hybrid of both the wiimote and pro controller. Plus you get a nifty map on it too.
While the GamePad control seems fine, I prefer having my aim not restricted to the center of the screen, so long as the cursor lies within the bounding box. Even though you can use the gyroscope to fine-tune your aim, your aiming reticule is still fixed at the center. As for the map, I agree with keeping it on the GamePad, which will be sitting close to me on a stand on top of a nearby table/desk.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
That's interesting, I don't think this game would be very fun on a Wiimote at all, though. :P

iDaylon

Inkling Cadet
Wiimote/Nunchuk should be an option for sure. Aside from that, Wii Classic and Pro controller are also pretty good ones.

TheSpeedyMouse

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheSpeedyMouse
In NSMBU they added a control set to the game afterwards (Can't remember what) and Pikmin 3 got touch controls afterwards. It's not impossible for this to happen especially since Battle Dojo is an offline mode but I kind of doubt they will. I hope they do as I don't want to spend $46 just to play one mode!... (*cough* Amiibo Party *cough*)

Last edited:

Shaggy_MN_1975

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shaggy_MN_1975
That's interesting, I don't think this game would be very fun on a Wiimote at all, though. :p
I disagree. As a father of many, my hopes for the addition of a four player mode and the Wii-mote + nunchuck combination are high. Would love to have Splatoon aa another game we can all enjoy together!

MrGameBoy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaveFeimous
So I read the online manual for the game, and it seems that the Pro and Classic Controllers are supported only for Battle Dojo. There's gotta be some way to convince EAD2 to not only add Wiimote controls, but also fully integrate all non-GamePad controllers... The more options, the better.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Yeah, I read the manual over as well, and it appears to be what has already been said. However,if you watched the Direct, you can tell when someone was using either analogue and gyro. And sure you can adjust the sensitivity of the stick, but I still think the gyro will be so much better in how smooth it moves.

kyouzou

Inkling
NNID
kyouzou
I want wiimote and nunchuk because I have used it for many previous shooters on the wii and it just feels natural to those who have grown accustomed to it. I doubt they will make it work though. They should at least make the pro controller work though since a lot of people have paid $50 to be able to use a traditional controller on this type of game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom