• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Zink Mini Splatling: Analysis and Thoughts

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
After a fortnight hiatus of weapon releases, we finally have another: the Zink Mini Splatling! This weapon has exactly the same stats as the nornal Mini Splatling, but is decorated with the Zink logo in collaboration with that company, known best, at present, for their affinity with Quick Super Jump on gear (also, to note, this is the first post-release weapon to be a customized variant in collab with a clothing brand). The subs and special weapons, being Disruptors and the Bubbler, give this version more of a focus on mid-range killing instead of the more half-and-half approach of the normal. Certainly a weapon for those who want ensured splats.

Shop Description: The Zink Mini Splatling combines the well-balanced Mini Splatling with new sub and special weapons. Launching Disruptors from just behind the front lines can really mess with your opponents' game plan! Share the Bubbler with your nearby allies, and you'll be able to sweep forward and steal some turf!

Shop Cost: 9,400

Sub Weapon: Disruptors

Special Weapon: Bubbler

So, with those things having been said, please leave your thoughts on the Zink Mini Splatling.

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
Not home so I can't try it yet, but I wanted to main this since it was first leaked. Looking at Nikki's footage, it doesn't disappoint.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I think the biggest thing I can commend the zink mini splatling for is its range. It's range is great for having the bubbler.

The disruptor couldn't compliment the weapon more either, all the squids out there that slap on a ton of run speed up that like to get in your face, hit 'em with a disruptor and then you can charge up and unleash in their face for a kill/trade.

I want to describe this weapon as a very strong support. Able to sustain itself, but really shines for helping your teammates. And it covers turf well too!

Feels so satisfying to pop the bubbler on, disrupt them as they try to get away, charge up (which is practically instant) and then unleash on their slowly retreating back. yea.........I guess I'm picking naughty for this splatfest.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I'm pretty sure this isn't the first post-release weapon to be customized by a clothing brand. It might be the LAST one. : P

Anyways, I gotta woodshed this thing a little bit, but it seems pretty awesome already. I might use the same set up with it that I use for the L-3 Nozzlenose, high mobility.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
I think the biggest thing I can commend the zink mini splatling for is its range. It's range is great for having the bubbler.

The disruptor couldn't compliment the weapon more either, all the squids out there that slap on a ton of run speed up that like to get in your face, hit 'em with a disruptor and then you can charge up and unleash in their face for a kill/trade.

I want to describe this weapon as a very strong support. Able to sustain itself, but really shines for helping your teammates. And it covers turf well too!

Feels so satisfying to pop the bubbler on, disrupt them as they try to get away, charge up (which is practically instant) and then unleash on their slowly retreating back. yea.........I guess I'm picking naughty for this splatfest.
That's pretty much how I would describe it. It's a really strong "support" weapon that excels at helping the team out, :disruptor: make it that much easier for you or your team to take out enemy inklings (it's especially effective against weapons like rollers or short ranged weapons like a Sploosh), and of course :bubbler:is perfect for saving teammates, defending against an enemy push, or making a big push of your own.

Also the above average range, plus the good ink coverage it has real makes it good at getting its special up quickly.

Overall, loving this weapon so far and it was well worth the wait.

Last edited:

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
The last time i used a bubbler was so long ago. It was crazy how much turf i covered while fending off the full team by myself. Now im getting a weapon with good range, ink coverage, disrupter, and bubbler.. This is honestly one of the best set ups in the game and cant wait to go on a killing spree

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I'm pretty sure this isn't the first post-release weapon to be customized by a clothing brand. It might be the LAST one.
No, it is the first (and probably last) one. The other ones customized in collab with clothing brands-the Tentatek Splattershot, Krak-on-Splat Roller, and Forge Splattershot Pro, were all available for purchase at the game's release. I hope that, should off-disc weapons be released though, more come about, especially since I'd love to see cute lil' Fishfry from Firefin on the battle weapons.

But I digress, concerning this weapon, I probably will not get to try it until Sunday, since I was busy tonight and shall also be so tomorrow. Until then, bear with me, squidkids!

(pun entirely intended. I shall see myself out now if you wish.)

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Man, yeah, this weapon's loadout complements it better than the regular Mini's did. I can see myself using this to disable foes and/or get up in their faces for a good splatting, and the Bubbler's a pretty decent safety net in case someone tries to splat you. Of course, judging by the Zink Mini Room stream I just watched @Azure J host, TC will be kinder to those who use the Disruptor on tower riders than those who try to bubble their way forward.

Also, I highly recommend Bomb Range Up and all Special-related abilities to take full advantage of the loadout. Bomb Range Up is especially great for disrupting foes from a relatively safe distance so you can either rush in and take enemies down or leave them to your teammates' mercy.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
No, it is the first (and probably last) one. The other ones customized in collab with clothing brands-the Tentatek Splattershot, Krak-on-Splat Roller, and Forge Splattershot Pro, were all available for purchase at the game's release. I hope that, should off-disc weapons be released though, more come about, especially since I'd love to see cute lil' Fishfry from Firefin on the battle weapons.

But I digress, concerning this weapon, I probably will not get to try it until Sunday, since I was busy tonight and shall also be so tomorrow. Until then, bear with me, squidkids!

(pun entirely intended. I shall see myself out now if you wish.)
Ah so, thanks for correcting me!

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
If you're having any trouble at all finding success with this weapon, I highly suggest some run speed up!
I went into ranked with it and was doing awful even though i felt I had a pretty good understanding how to use it, I throw on some run speed up and started doing way better!

It's movement speed is great naturally, but some run speed up really goes a long way for this weapon ^w^
I still don't know a perfect layout as far as gear abilities, still playing around with different things, but yea, at least try some run speed up ;)

IsmaR

was tentacles all along
Super Moderator
It boils down to what it is you want to specialize in. The load-out's best niche is in support, so :ability_damage: is somewhat wasted on it. Speed and ink efficiency are the way to go.

I've been running a rather successful combination of :ability_bombrange: shoes (with full :ability_inkrecovery: subs), a :ability_runspeed: shirt, and :ability_specialcharge: headgear. Earlier I tried :ability_specialduration: along with :ability_specialsaver:, but I found more utility in building up meter quicker than having having the Special last so long, especially since encounters with this thing don't usually last long.

Both Ink Savers, Swim Speed Up, Tenacity and Ink Resistance Up also work well as alternatives, but you'll definitely notice the Splatling family appreciates Ink Recovery Up/Run Speed Up.

As far as the weapon itself, it's great for team play as it lets you support your team from afar thanks to :disruptor: and generally above-average range (farthest out of all other weapons paired with:bubbler:, at least until the Custom Hydra Splatling comes out) and also lead the charge once your Special fills up (which it does so insanely quickly).

ShinyTogetic

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Maikaru
Switch Friend Code
SW-3468-6485-0599
AMAZING
AS
HELL this weapon is...
though I barely use :disruptor: because lack of ink but :bubbler: is amazing on this

I pretty much stack :ability_runspeed: and :ability_swimspeed:with this but I should consider using :ability_inkrecovery::ability_bombrange: along with it dont forget :ability_specialcharge:

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
This thing is great. It combines the great fire rate, mobility, and solid range of the Mini Splatling with the incredibly useful disruptors and the safety net of the bubbler. With close range foes, you can throw a disruptor and just abuse your range to splat them. With long range foes, you can do the same thing but instead use your speed to try to dodge fire/use your bubbler.

Set wise, I had some success with this.

:head_met003::ability_runspeed:l:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialduration:
Black Inky Rider:ability_bombrange:l:ability_bombrange::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:shoes_bot003::ability_inkresistance:l:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_inksaversub:

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
I already have over 30,000 points on this :/
The gear set I've been using is:
:head_eye002: :ability_bombrange: | :ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange::ability_specialsaver:
:clothes_tes013: :ability_inksavermain: | :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_inksaversub:
Squid Girl Shoes :ability_swimspeed: | :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_specialduration:
Spyke doesn't really like giving me 3 of the same ability but this has been working out really well, went all the way from the bottom of A to A+ with this weapon and gear set! (Now to get back to S. -_-)

Zolda

Full Squid
I'm really enjoying this weapon, I liked the original but didn't really use it because I didn't feel there was much of a place for it. I've been loving the Tri-Slosher lately so it's great to have that kit on a weapon with some range. Both the Disruptors and Bubbler synergize really well with the main weapon. Bubbler of course helps mitigate the close range weakness of the Mini-Splatling, while Disruptors are great for both keeping people from escaping and for preventing them from getting up close to you in the first place. I've been finding success with this:

Skull Bandana :ability_specialsaver: I :ability_swimspeed::ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange:

Black Inky Rider:ability_bombrange: I :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

:shoes_sht007::ability_runspeed: I :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I used this weapon today and had a lot of fun with it. I think I like the normal Mini Splatling better because Suction Bombs and Inkzooka are more my style of choice sub and/or special, but for those who can be good with this loadout, this will be a powerful tool. Disruptors are a great shutdown tool as always and might be just as potent here as on the Bamboozler 14 MK II. It really helps to get the time to get a charge and four full shots in. Bubbler is both good as a defense and pushing tool on this weapon, so in this case it takes more of a middling role (I just wish I was better with this special because personally, I can never use it right, but I was with another ZMSt who was and I know it can be). The main weapon is also quite enjoyable, with the extremely short charge time and high fire rate making up for lack of range, lasting time, and power. It was fun to use but, like the Classic Squiffer, this weapon just requires too much short-rage precision for me to be the right hands (funny thing: the Squiffers and Mini Splatlings actually have the same specials. I notice this in a lot of corresponding power types).

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm kinda surprised to see that some people consider the Mini Splatling bad at close range considering how fast it charges and splats people o_O

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
Damage Up is a complete waste on this...
Disruptors and Bubbler don't damage people, so only the main weapon can take advantage of it. But the main weapon is always a 4 hit kill (Unless the opponent has 3 main Defense Ups, but nobody ever has that many.) There's no point in running Damage Up on this ever.

Zolda

Full Squid
I'm kinda surprised to see that some people consider the Mini Splatling bad at close range considering how fast it charges and splats people o_O
As quick as the charge is, that brief moment of time is often all a close range weapon needs to kill you. Something like the Sploosh or a Splattershot Jr. that gets right up in your face will usually be able to kill you before you can unleash a full barrage at them, and it's at a disadvantage against mid-range weapons like the Tentatek and N-Zaps because they still kill quick enough that by the time you do charge up they'll kill you before you can get enough hits in to kill them first.

That being said though it's not that it's terrible at close range or anything, it's just not the most comfortable scenario. If the opponent has bad aim or you're mobile enough you can definitely still fight close-range with this. It's just not ideal, so that's why it's nice to have the Disruptors to ensure that you can always keep opponents at an optimal distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom