• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

1v1 Tournament where players represent weapons

Inkster Jr.
NNID
80-my0sotis
Alright, alright, this may sound dumb, but hear me out.
I just wanted to ask you guys on a opinion on following:

I thought about making a 1v1 tournament. The thing is: I want people to represent a specific weapon of their choice.
The weapon is going to be played throughout the whole tourney until there's a final winner.
I think about making it Double-Elimination or Round Robin with Single-Elimination, in the pools, I'd put only weapons from one weapon class in it, e.g. there will be a pool for chargers, sloshers, shooters etc.
Due to that, I'd need to limit the weapons you can chose from one weapon class.

By the way, I'd love to hear suggestions from you!
Additional to that, every weapon can only be chosen once, but since there are always 2 (or 3) versions of a weapon, I think people will be fine.

About the date, somewhen in late September would be fine because I don't wanna interfere with LUTI 2 or SCL.

So yeah, that's actually it, I really wanna hear your opinions on this, aswell as name suggestions! (I'm very uncreative tbh)

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I find this a neat idea just because of how much I love my Sloshing Machine (Tri as well, but the SM is more 'my thing', being less widespread). So I'm gonna go ahead and place my stake in that slot in case this becomes a thing~

What formats would work? Rainmaker is useless in 1v1, as I've experienced in the past... Tower Control might be the best one, in fact. Zones is pretty weird, and Turf War would just feel empty.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
I also think that this is fun idea. Apologies, but I don't fully follow the rules of your post. Are you saying that, for example, chargers would always face off against another charger? That would be fair, but it definitely would not be fair to have a charger vs. say a Splattershot in TW or SZ.

Also, I would be pretty upset if someone I was facing picked a version of a weapon with a superior build that I couldn't also pick (like they get the 52. gal and I get the 52. gal deco, there are many other similar cases).

Inkster Jr.
NNID
80-my0sotis
I find this a neat idea just because of how much I love my Sloshing Machine (Tri as well, but the SM is more 'my thing', being less widespread). So I'm gonna go ahead and place my stake in that slot in case this becomes a thing~

What formats would work? Rainmaker is useless in 1v1, as I've experienced in the past... Tower Control might be the best one, in fact. Zones is pretty weird, and Turf War would just feel empty.
I just thought about making it Bo3 with the ranked modes, I'm sure every weapon is viable in at least 2 ranked modes so both players have a good chance to win good 2 matches. I play a lot 1v1, especially Rainmaker, and in my opinion every mode has his up- and downsides to it in 1v1, so I guess it'll work out.

I also think that this is fun idea. Apologies, but I don't fully follow the rules of your post. Are you saying that, for example, chargers would always face off against another charger? That would be fair, but it definitely would not be fair to have a charger vs. say a Splattershot in TW or SZ.

Also, I would be pretty upset if someone I was facing picked a version of a weapon with a superior build that I couldn't also pick (like they get the 52. gal and I get the 52. gal deco, there are many other similar cases).
If I'm going to make it Round Robin, which probably is the favourite, I'd only put weapons from a specific class into that pool, yes. Then later, there would be the 'best' weapons in Single-Elimination. If I keep it Bo3, I'm sure it'll work out. I mentioned it before ^^^^^^, I said that every weapon is viable in at least 2 ranked modes. Yes, in a 1v1 with a charger vs. a Splattershot in SZ, the Splattershot is most likely to win. (It honestly depends on the map, I won a 1v1 Custom 3k vs Berry on SZ Walleye once because I was able to take out the berry every time.) But later in RM and TC, there is a bigger chance for the charger to win again. And if you have a good charger vs a noob shooter, the charger will still win. It doesn't only depend on the weapon, but the player and their strategies, usage of weapon and kit etc., too.

About the second thing: Be fast and pick your weapon before somebody else does. If it's too late, I'm sure there are weapons that you are very good with. And to me, there is nothing like a "superior build". The N-Zap '85 can be as good as the '83. The Kelp Scope can be as good as the Bento Unscoped. It depends on the player and how they use their kit. And if the other weapons you are good with got picked too, maybe try a new weapon. As long as you and the others have fun, it's alright, isn't it? :^)

1v1?
because 4 v 4 was starsquid central. xD
greasy go away thx

Bleighost

Inkling
NNID
tjtj12
and Turf War would just feel empty.
TW isn't all that bad for 1v1
I've used it for plenty of 1v1's and gotten great feedback. Still there is a problem with chargers and certain maps but I'm sure something can be worked out

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom