• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

2 Questions on Ranked Battle

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
As the title states, I have 2 questions regarding Ranked battle. You can answer one or both if you want to soooo...

-How do you get into Ranked? I usually play Turf War since it's demoralizing losing rank on what are fun modes (especially when you lag out or constantly get roflstomped). Usually, I'll play Ranked when Tower Control or Splat Zones pops up, but I can never stay invested for too long.

-This one's really for those ranged peeps, but how do you play a ranged weapon in Splat Zones, Tower Control, and Rainmaker effectively? I main the Dual Squelcher (since I'm too scared of using anything else in Ranked) and I can't quite seem to use it effectively (though maybe it's because I focus on splatting people too much =/).

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
1. The best way to play ranked battle modes worry free would be to get some friends together, and play private battles. Of course, getting seven (or less if you are OK with smaller teams) other people to play with you is kinda hard, I've never managed to play a single private battle myself because of that reason. Other than that, you just gotta take the plunge into ranked battles and play the best you can. Which I know is easier said than done.

There is another way, but it's obviously a lot tougher to do so. Getting to S/S+ rank, you can play ranked battles with friends, and you will not gain, or lose points for winning and losing.

2. While I am a strictly close to medium range player, I recommend using a Tentatek Splattershot if you still want to use a weapon with decent range in ranked battles. The Tentatek Splattershot is an all purpose weapon to use, and a relatively safe choice. It, alongside my trusty Splash-o-matic (which is admittedly only amazing in Splatzones) helped me get to S+ after all.

TacoOfDestruction

Pro Squid
NNID
JD1973
1. I just pretend that the rank isn't there, the more you think about it, the more you get stressed over it.
2. When ever I use my custom jet squelcher I find it best to just hang back at a decent distance while picking of anyone that comes near with my superior range, and then in splat zones it's normally the best to ink near turf with your sub and get the far away turf with your range, then the moment you get the zone make sure no one comes near, In both RM and tower your role is generally to shield the RM and the tower, using your range to make a path to it before the enemy does.

I'm not the best at giving strategys and the like but I hope this helped.

mimasho

Inkster Jr.
NNID
mimasho
1. Ranked is incredibly addicting, but I've learned the hard way that one should now play ranked too randomly; it's best to get some friends // people online who know what they're doing to squad with you. In turf wars you can carry your team, but it's almost impossible to for ranked.
Also I don't get too much lag ? A good tactic is to drop out after every match, that's what I always do (I also used to get DC'd after every single match, but I called customer support and now I get DC'd maybe once a week if I'm unlucky, I only disconnected once during the last splatfest).
In my personal experience, I've also found it difficult switching back and forth from turf to ranked right away -if you stick with ranked for a while, I think you'll find it more fun ~

2. To be honest, I swear by the luna blaster for ranked (I really only do splat zones very rarely, though I use the splash-o-matic), so I'm more of a close combat person, but the most important thing is to know your range. Don't pay attention to who joins your group at the lobby, but seriously stare at the screen when they show both of the teams and remember who's using what -also remember who can outrange you, it's important to familiarize yourself with weapons.
Something that I do a lot is jump while wielding the luna blaster, since nearly everyone outranges me;
Honestly, if you're scoring a decent amount of kills with the squelcher, you shouldn't be worried (~10 is pretty good, squelcher users frighten me lol), sometimes your teammates just don't have your back -just make sure that you start aiming at someone once they're in a distance, try to gauge to see where the opposing team is before revealing your own location, also since you have the distance advantage, never try to run right up to someone, start shooting from far away and close in on them. Also be prepared to squid away if you run out of ink.

Also, versatility is another important thing for ranked; certain weapons just work better for certain maps or whatnot; if the squelcher isn't working out for you, just test out other weapons during a normal turf match or something. (I've actually tried nearly every single weapon for ranked before, excluding snipers and rollers lol)
hnng you've probably been playing this game for longer than me but aah i hope this helps ?? possibly ?

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
1. make sure you stay focused we have all left at the objective at one point just remember thats it's the objective you need to win
2.IT'S TIME TO PLAY THE RANGE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!! i main mostly long range weapons dual is pretty long range if you get into a fire fight keep your distance if they can't out range you (can't hurt what you can't hit) and if they can it's time for some flanking or fall back until a better chance pops up and never be afraid to try new weapons you will be surpised I actually only used two weapons in turf wars before I used them in ranked and that was :wst_charge_normal00: splat charger and my beloved:wst_charge_long00: e-liter you will never know what will happen if all else fails try some things if you rank goes down grab your dual and rank back up

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
Since ranked modes focus on specific objectives, use that to predict where your splat bombs will be most effective. For example, toss a splat bomb at the rainmaker as soon as the enemy breaks its shield.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
- How to get into ranked? When you play turf war, practice splatting people. You might not win because you aren't covering as much turf, but splatting people is really important in ranked. Then when you get into ranked, focus on the objective but don't tunnel vision it. Examples:

Generally, try to splat at least 2 enemies before you push the objective.
Splat Zones: this is most like turf war insofar as map control is really important. Don't die on the zone. Try to attack people from around the zone (hence why map control is important). Don't freak out if you lose the zone; splat nearby enemies before retaking it. This is a really defensive mode if you can take the zone, so know your flanks. If you need to take a zone, charge your special to help you push.
Tower Control: Remember that the tower moves quicker when more people are on it, but that doesn't mean that the whole team needs to be on the tower. If someone is already on the tower you need to advance and clear out enemies (although it would be good to hop on if they are wiped). Cover an ink path so you don't get splatted. Also remember, if the enemies has made a push, you only need to hop on the tower for a moment to make it go back to center; it isn't necessary to ride it all the way back. Even with the nerf, krakens can sit on the tower and push it fairly easily. Just try to hide behind the pole a bit. Don't be afraid of getting off the tower during a push; better to survive and lose the tower than die and lose the tower.
Rainmaker: When first approaching the rainmaker it isn't necessary to focus on popping it. Instead, go around and splat the enemies focused on it (this is especially effective in lower ranks). Different paths yield different results so be attentive about which path you should take (for instance, go through the elbow and up the grates on triggerfish and up the wall on moray). Be sure to either pop the shield or inflict heavy damage to it before splatting enemies (but don't pick it up until you have unless necessary), so that you won't waste time popping the shield after splatting them.

- How to play ranged weapons? See where you can hit on the map in recon mode to learn your effective range. Don't be afraid to retreat. Unless you are wearing quick respawn and are guaranteed a trade, you should try to survive over trying for a splat. Know what weapons out-range you and pay attention to what the opponents are using (as previously mentioned). The dual squelcher is a great weapon at pressuring and gaining map control. Your role is to take the zone quickly, advance in front of the tower (or at least cover common ambush spots) and ink a path for the rainmaker. Although you should aim for splats (for obvious reasons) if you are pushing people away then you are doing your job. If someone gets to close, roll a splat bomb and run away for better positioning.

Personally, I'm not always great at these things, but when I do remember them, then I do really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom