• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

5 Ways To Earn/Save Money For Nintendo Switch Online

Smash Arena

Inkling
NNID
THEGREATSTALIN
Obviously, no one is happy that we're going to have to pay to play Splatoon 2 starting this month. At the moment, the service looks bare-bones, but for those who want to keep playing Splatoon 2 (and other Nintendo games) online, this is just the way it is. So, rather than throwing in the towel, let's see if a little extra effort/resource management can get you back online.

Nintendo Switch Online costs $20. Yearly. That's about the price of a new DVD, or a trip for two to Applebee's. Not everyone has a spare $20 lying around. Not everyone has a job or is even old enough to get a job. That doesn't mean you can't earn $20 to keep shooting ink at your fellow cephalopods. There are several ways to earn/save small amounts of money without a job or special skills! Here's a five I thought of off the top of my head.

1. Recycle

Helping the environment and getting to play Splatoon 2? Now this depends on what state/country you live in, but several areas have financial incentives for recycling bottles, cans, and other reusable objects. By placing these objects in special machines often found at your local supermarket, Costco/Sam's Club, and other places, you can receive very small cash reimbursements. When I say small, I mean small, as in around 5 cents per object. At least, that's what it pays in my state. In that case, to earn the $20 you need for Nintendo Switch Online, it would take you 400 objects. Sounds like a lot, but think of all the Snapple Peach Tea you throw in the nearest recycling bin or that goes out to the curb for your town/city to pick up. It adds up over time. Some people even make a small living out of this, often digging through recycle bins for 5 cent treasures. (That might be taking it a little too far.) You could also ask your friends to donate their recyclables to your cause.

2. Electronic Trade-In

Several retailers (not just GameStop) offer both cash or credit when trading in video game software, hardware, and even other electronics like used cellphones and even DVDs. Why not get rid of some old tech that you know you're not going to use anymore? Retailers will sometimes give you additional credit if you trade directly towards the purchase of an item. For example, for a Wii U Pro Controller, GameStop will give $12 in cash, but $15 if you trade toward the purchase of an item being sold by GameStop, like...I don't know...Nintendo Switch Online membership? (You could also get an eShop card, which I think could be used for membership, not 100% sure.) Don't forget, GameStop also accepts 'retro' items, basically meaning a variety of video game software, hardware, and accessories from systems like the NES, Gamecube, and PlayStation...and more. If there's a game you didn't like or know you won't play through again, why not turn it into a year of Splatoon 2?

3. Selling Schoolbooks

How many dusty textbooks or copies of Charles ****ens' Hard Times do you have laying around your house from classes you've taken for school? If you're in high school or college, chances are that you have a lot of books laying around which you'll never look at again, but take space in your house and remind you of countless sleepless nights before finals. What if I told you that you can salvage these piles of paper and ink for a bit of spare change? The nice thing is, you can, and sometimes the amount you'll get will surprise you. There are several websites which will allow you to mail used books to them for cash, and some will even pay the shipping. The fun thing is that there are so many of these websites that there are websites dedicated to comparing prices from book selling websites. Anyway, the more recent the book, the more likely it's worth something. Gotta thank my mother for this method, she helped us earn back a lot of money from dried out philosophy books that I probably slept in at one point.

4. Save Money

Think about what you spent money on in the last three days. Did you get a drink at Starbucks? Minimum of $2, most likely more. Rent a movie on Google Play? That's $4 if you watched in HD. Decided to Uber home instead of walking? Another $5. Add tax, and you've spent even more on these things. Were any of them 100% necessary? Most likely not. Think about it this way. That's three days of spending I just listed there. $11 spent. More than half the price of Nintendo Switch Online yearly membership. This is where you have to put things into perspective. You got a quick burst of caffeine, a two-hour movie, and a quick trip home. Next week, you'll probably spend a similar amount, putting you over the cost of membership. Are those quick six bursts of pleasure/convenience worth the tens/hundreds of hours of fun you'll likely have playing Splatoon 2 and other Switch games (like Smash) online? Avoiding unnecessary spending for just two weeks could pay off a year of Nintendo Switch Online membership.

5. Spare Change

Don't sleep on the nickels and dimes you throw at the barista at Starbucks after he/she produces a rather average drink for you. (Disclaimer: Starbucks IS my favorite coffee shop brand.) Rather than dropping those coins into a tip jar or letting them roll under your bed, save them in a safe location for later. Think about it. Let's say you get a burger at McDonald's. With tax, it's about $1.08 where I live, meaning Squidward will throw 92 cents at you. Save it. You'll find that soon enough, you'll have a sizable (and rather heavy) bag of change, likely reaching that $20 price tag. How do you change that change into Nintendo Switch Online membership? You have a few options. One is to use a CoinStar machine. While these machines normally charge you a fee to convert coins to cash, they will convert coins to an Amazon Gift Card code for free. You can grab the membership on Amazon. Alternatively, you could bring your coins to your local bank, and they will begrudgingly count the coins and add them to your bank account. Regardless, those coins you just let get moldy under your dresser suddenly turned into hours of ink-shooting action.

Anyway, I hope these ideas help you stay online when Nintendo starts demanding money for what currently seems to be one of the worst online services I've ever encountered. I know no one likes it, but for those who really want to continue to waifu war between Pearl and Marina, paying is the only option.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Obviously, no one is happy that we're going to have to pay to play Splatoon 2 starting this month. At the moment, the service looks bare-bones, but for those who want to keep playing Splatoon 2 (and other Nintendo games) online, this is just the way it is. So, rather than throwing in the towel, let's see if a little extra effort/resource management can get you back online.

Nintendo Switch Online costs $20. Yearly. That's about the price of a new DVD, or a trip for two to Applebee's. Not everyone has a spare $20 lying around. Not everyone has a job or is even old enough to get a job. That doesn't mean you can't earn $20 to keep shooting ink at your fellow cephalopods. There are several ways to earn/save small amounts of money without a job or special skills! Here's a five I thought of off the top of my head.

1. Recycle

Helping the environment and getting to play Splatoon 2? Now this depends on what state/country you live in, but several areas have financial incentives for recycling bottles, cans, and other reusable objects. By placing these objects in special machines often found at your local supermarket, Costco/Sam's Club, and other places, you can receive very small cash reimbursements. When I say small, I mean small, as in around 5 cents per object. At least, that's what it pays in my state. In that case, to earn the $20 you need for Nintendo Switch Online, it would take you 400 objects. Sounds like a lot, but think of all the Snapple Peach Tea you throw in the nearest recycling bin or that goes out to the curb for your town/city to pick up. It adds up over time. Some people even make a small living out of this, often digging through recycle bins for 5 cent treasures. (That might be taking it a little too far.) You could also ask your friends to donate their recyclables to your cause.

2. Electronic Trade-In

Several retailers (not just GameStop) offer both cash or credit when trading in video game software, hardware, and even other electronics like used cellphones and even DVDs. Why not get rid of some old tech that you know you're not going to use anymore? Retailers will sometimes give you additional credit if you trade directly towards the purchase of an item. For example, for a Wii U Pro Controller, GameStop will give $12 in cash, but $15 if you trade toward the purchase of an item being sold by GameStop, like...I don't know...Nintendo Switch Online membership? (You could also get an eShop card, which I think could be used for membership, not 100% sure.) Don't forget, GameStop also accepts 'retro' items, basically meaning a variety of video game software, hardware, and accessories from systems like the NES, Gamecube, and PlayStation...and more. If there's a game you didn't like or know you won't play through again, why not turn it into a year of Splatoon 2?

3. Selling Schoolbooks

How many dusty textbooks or copies of Charles ****ens' Hard Times do you have laying around your house from classes you've taken for school? If you're in high school or college, chances are that you have a lot of books laying around which you'll never look at again, but take space in your house and remind you of countless sleepless nights before finals. What if I told you that you can salvage these piles of paper and ink for a bit of spare change? The nice thing is, you can, and sometimes the amount you'll get will surprise you. There are several websites which will allow you to mail used books to them for cash, and some will even pay the shipping. The fun thing is that there are so many of these websites that there are websites dedicated to comparing prices from book selling websites. Anyway, the more recent the book, the more likely it's worth something. Gotta thank my mother for this method, she helped us earn back a lot of money from dried out philosophy books that I probably slept in at one point.

4. Save Money

Think about what you spent money on in the last three days. Did you get a drink at Starbucks? Minimum of $2, most likely more. Rent a movie on Google Play? That's $4 if you watched in HD. Decided to Uber home instead of walking? Another $5. Add tax, and you've spent even more on these things. Were any of them 100% necessary? Most likely not. Think about it this way. That's three days of spending I just listed there. $11 spent. More than half the price of Nintendo Switch Online yearly membership. This is where you have to put things into perspective. You got a quick burst of caffeine, a two-hour movie, and a quick trip home. Next week, you'll probably spend a similar amount, putting you over the cost of membership. Are those quick six bursts of pleasure/convenience worth the tens/hundreds of hours of fun you'll likely have playing Splatoon 2 and other Switch games (like Smash) online? Avoiding unnecessary spending for just two weeks could pay off a year of Nintendo Switch Online membership.

5. Spare Change

Don't sleep on the nickels and dimes you throw at the barista at Starbucks after he/she produces a rather average drink for you. (Disclaimer: Starbucks IS my favorite coffee shop brand.) Rather than dropping those coins into a tip jar or letting them roll under your bed, save them in a safe location for later. Think about it. Let's say you get a burger at McDonald's. With tax, it's about $1.08 where I live, meaning Squidward will throw 92 cents at you. Save it. You'll find that soon enough, you'll have a sizable (and rather heavy) bag of change, likely reaching that $20 price tag. How do you change that change into Nintendo Switch Online membership? You have a few options. One is to use a CoinStar machine. While these machines normally charge you a fee to convert coins to cash, they will convert coins to an Amazon Gift Card code for free. You can grab the membership on Amazon. Alternatively, you could bring your coins to your local bank, and they will begrudgingly count the coins and add them to your bank account. Regardless, those coins you just let get moldy under your dresser suddenly turned into hours of ink-shooting action.

Anyway, I hope these ideas help you stay online when Nintendo starts demanding money for what currently seems to be one of the worst online services I've ever encountered. I know no one likes it, but for those who really want to continue to waifu war between Pearl and Marina, paying is the only option.
Gotta say, this would make a great Guide.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't think any of the people who are complaining about the 20 bucks actually have trouble coughing up the amount, they just take issue with it. Whether or not that actually means they'll refuse to pay is another story.

Smash Arena

Inkling
NNID
THEGREATSTALIN
Gotta say, this would make a great Guide.
Sorry, I'm not very familiar with this forum, if a mod could move it there, that would be much-appreciated!

I don't think any of the people who are complaining about the 20 bucks actually have trouble coughing up the amount, they just take issue with it. Whether or not that actually means they'll refuse to pay is another story.
That's what I figured, but I thought I'd mention it for those who can't afford it, especially kids and teenagers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom