• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

52 Gal Tips?

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
I've been establishing a relationship with the 52 Gal, however, I don't know what abilities are good for it nor do I know how to properly use it.

Because of its killing power, I tend to lean more towards going after people. I've been making good use of Splash Wall (which has aided in many kills and life saving moments).

As for abilities, I usually run an Ink Build. It's comprised of Ink Saver Main and Ink Recovery Up as well as Cold Blooded to counter tacking. Does that work well for the 52?

Quilavaflare

Senior Squid
NNID
Quilavaflare
I don't know much about the 52 Gal in particular, but what I do know is that it is one of the few weapons affected by Defense Up, in case you didn't already know. (Goes from 3 shots to 2 shots to kill with one Defense Up Main on the target.) At the very least, I would reccomend dedicating a few subs to Damage Up. Then again, Defense Up isn't really all that popular, so it's up to preference I guess.

Zolda

Full Squid
I mained the .52 for a long time, it's a great weapon. You mentioned that you're focusing more on combat, which the .52 definitely excels at. The main thing to watch out for is to make sure you keep your opponent at a good distance. The .52 might not have the range of the .96, but it still outranges a good number of other weapons. Your fire rate isn't the best, so if enemies with faster, shorter range weapons get on top of you it can be hard to kill them before they kill you. Fortunately, the Splash Wall is an excellent tool for protecting yourself from enemies who get too close and also for preventing them from getting in close in the first place.

As for abilities, what Quilavaflare said above about Strength Up is very important. That extra shot required for someone with Defense Up can be the difference between life and death, so I'd highly recommend running a Strength Up. Also, you might consider either replacing your Ink Recovery Up with Ink Saver (Sub), or adding an Ink Saver (Sub) on top of Ink Recovery Up. After the patch nerfed the Splash Wall it takes almost 3 full seconds to start recharging your ink after throwing it, so the Ink Recovery isn't actually helping you at all until that time is up. With Ink Saver (Sub) you'll reduce the ink cost of the Wall and have more ink left over, giving you more to work with in the immediate moment than you get from Ink Recovery Up.

xXDR.SWOOCEXx

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SupahHotFire17
I also use the .52 Gal quite often and it is an amazing weapon. Ability wise, I like to use a :ability_damage: , :ability_runspeed: , :ability_inksavermain: , and :ability_inksaversub: although the only one that I feel is necessary is the damage up because if you are facing an opponent that has enough defense up to turn the .52 Gal into a 3-shot, its low rate of fire means you will probably die in a firefight. Compared to the .96 Gal Deco, the .52 gets a lot more firing time after throwing a wall so the ink saver abilities are not necessary.

More importantly, learn to use the splash wall. This is the most versatile sub in Splatoon and you would be surprised how many times it has saved me or my teammate. When you see an opponent, it should be second nature to just throw it out. Also work on knowing how to get it on the tower or bounce it off of a wall. I am not sure if you have seen this video yet, but it is very useful.

Hope that was helpful.:D

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I usually pick one of two weapons in ranked: the octoshot, or the .52 gal. I really like the .52 gal because of its overall balance and decent kit for staying alive and offensive pressure.

This is the loadout I usually use
:head_ncp001: :ability_inksavermain:| :ability_damage::ability_defenseup::ability_inkrecovery:
:clothes_swt000: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_runspeed:
:shoes_bot003: :ability_inkresistance:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

One damage sub counteracts one defense main (iirc), so that is why I use the hat. I focus on ink saver main instead of sub because it feels like it does a better job of allowing me to keep firing after a splash wall. I initially put this set together for Rainmaker but I noticed that the run speed was helpful in general (firefights etc.) and the swim speed is universally helpful.

It also looks pretty cool imo...

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
2 damage mains is necessary to counteract defense. Crucial for this weapon as otherwise someone with a faster firing rate can stack defense and there's nothing you can do.

For ink efficiency I recommend ink recovery. I spend a lot of time waiting behind a splash wall when enemies run away from it, so I like to refill faster. The weapon itself is actually very efficient, which is why ink savers don't seem as useful.

After that just take the standard abilities that you find most useful.

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
watch out for long range weapons because they should play the range game but if they get in you range you should win you have the fastest kill time so (warning this is from the receiving end)

NTd0_SPLAT

Inkling
I've been establishing a relationship with the 52 Gal, however, I don't know what abilities are good for it nor do I know how to properly use it.

Because of its killing power, I tend to lean more towards going after people. I've been making good use of Splash Wall (which has aided in many kills and life saving moments).

As for abilities, I usually run an Ink Build. It's comprised of Ink Saver Main and Ink Recovery Up as well as Cold Blooded to counter tacking. Does that work well for the 52?
Run Speed up. It is really helpful for the 52 gal. I would suggest the sandals(famitsu) in particular.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
2 damage mains is necessary to counteract defense. Crucial for this weapon as otherwise someone with a faster firing rate can stack defense and there's nothing you can do.

For ink efficiency I recommend ink recovery. I spend a lot of time waiting behind a splash wall when enemies run away from it, so I like to refill faster. The weapon itself is actually very efficient, which is why ink savers don't seem as useful.

After that just take the standard abilities that you find most useful.
I just tested it and one damage up sub will counter one defense up main. However, to counter any more defense main you need at least one damage up main and one damage up sub.

After the nerf ink recovery doesn't help much after throwing a splash wall. You need to wait almost 3 seconds before refilling. That's why I prefer ink saver main, as it is more universally helpful, splash wall or no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom