• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

.52 vs .96 deco?

Shuggi

Senior Squid
NNID
Splatshuggi
The .52 gal and the .96 gal. Deco are both great weapons, but which one is better?

Templar

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TemplarAnimated
I literally only just picked up the .52 today, so don't quote me on this but I'd say:

.52 for ink coverage. .92 Just doesn't do the same at all.

.92 has more range than the .52 though, so in a 1v1 .92 should win.

However for me overall best weapon has to go to .52, since it still kills in 2 hits with a strength up main, it can perform more roles thanks to the ink coverage and as long as you get in close enough you can easily kill multiple opponents thanks to its rate of fire and ofc 2 hit kill potential.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
They're both about the same, honestly. The only difference in the weapons themselves is the .52 takes one more shot to kill. They both have similar range, though the .52 shoots a little faster and uses less ink per shot. Still, they both play about the same. It's really more a matter of which sub and special you prefer. I like the .96 for Echolocator. Sprinkler isn't great, but you can stick it somewhere close to the enemy base to troll them. .52 and .96D have the always useful Splashwall for a sub. Ymmv on the Killer Wail and Kraken. Both are pretty easy for an experienced player to avoid, so you probably won't get much use out of them except for Tower Control. The .52D has Seekers and Inkstrikes. I've never really used Seekers, so I can't tell you if they're any good or not. I rarely get killed by them though. Inkstrikes are a great support Special for SZ, TC, and TW.

Last edited:

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
The 96.Deco is better in my opinion. More range and the kraken makes it better than the 52.gal. 52.Gal is faster so it`s better in close range combat. Both weapons are strong because of the splash walls so it`s up to the player to decide.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
The only difference in the weapons themselves is the .52 takes one more shot to kill.
They both need two shots to kill, actually. and with the .52's faster fire rate, it kills faster than the .96. The 52 is greatly affected by defense up, meaning a main can turn it into a three shot weapon, which it technically isn't. The .52 does a standard 52 damage. It's also the reason why people run damage up. To counter defense up.

Shuggi

Senior Squid
NNID
Splatshuggi
Thank you for all your comments! I hope to make more 'weapon wars' soon! Please check my other posts! Don't worry, I'm not shutting this down.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
TL;DR - They are both very good weapons IF you understand their weaknesses and work around them.

If you're talking about a straight up 1v1 fight, you'd want to consider range and mobility, as well as precision. The .96 has greater range, equalling that of a Splattershot Pro and Dual Squelcher, but tends to perform poorly at that range due to its lackluster accuracy; keep in mind that this weapon fires very slowly, so missed shots are much less forgiving. It also has painfully slow run speed whIle firing, in my opinion. The .52 has less range, but cranks up the fire rate to give it one of the fastest ttk if the shots land, as it's still a 2 hit KO. Keep in mind the .52 is extremely vulnerable to defence up perks, and a single defense up main or three subs is enough to make this a 3 hit kill. In ranked you tend to see people with absolutly no defence, or defense stacked to the moon, so how you organize your abilities is up to you.

The .96 and .96 deco are still great weapons for support and balls-out frontline offense respectively, just try to mitigate the weaknesses. If you like going HAM on the opponents and getting right up in their faces, go for the .52 and you won't be disappointed. (Try boosting mobility for this)

Last edited:

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I'm not a gal user, playing against it I think .96 deco poses a bigger treat to me as a Octobrush specially on cluster maps like Port Mackerel. Using well a splash wall in some places against me is an automatic "no go" on pursuits, plus if I do insist, the .96 deco can be fully charged and turn the tides using Kraken.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
.96 Gal Deco is basicaly the games full defense weapon since :splashwall: is the best defensive sub and :kraken: is the best defensive special (not to mention the RNG of the .96 makes approaching one who is firing at you a death sentence no matter how much you dodge). I consider it the turtle weapon.

I don't know as much about the .52 Gal, but it has the same kit as the Bamboozler MK I, and that weapons primary function is blitzing the enemy from a flank. The :splashwall: is great for if you get yourself in a bad situation and :killerwail: can apply pressure to either keep enemies from going into a specific zone, or forcing them into a corner. I imagine it works similiarly for :wst_shot_gravity00:

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
.92 deco since it's kit is amazing, and you don't need to waste slots using damage up to make sure you kill in 2 hits

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
.52 Pros:

-Faster fire rate
-no movement speed reduction while shooting
-can still kill in two hits with damage up
-excellent at close range

.52 Cons:

-less range
-no kraken to escape hairy situations
-must have damage up for 2 shot kill

.96 Pros:

-great kit
-range rivals that of dual squelcher
-kraken
-guaranteed two shot kill

.96 Cons:

-movement speed reduction while shooting
-must be accurate
-less than satisfactory ink spread
-terrible at close range
-slow fire rate

They're both pretty even. Having said that, I would still much rather use the .52 over the .96, simply because it can still do what the .96 is able to do, but more efficiently, albeit with a few tweaks and trades.

Shuggi

Senior Squid
NNID
Splatshuggi
Hmm... I must say I personally use both, but for me the .52 gal wins. Fully stacking damage up will guarantee a two shot kill, because it can counter any defender up. Also, some of you may not know, but the .52 gal has a base 52 damage, so an opponent with no defence up could be killed in two shots. The only cons with the .52 gal is range, and its special.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Hmm... I must say I personally use both, but for me the .52 gal wins. Fully stacking damage up will guarantee a two shot kill, because it can counter any defender up. Also, some of you may not know, but the .52 gal has a base 52 damage, so an opponent with no defence up could be killed in two shots. The only cons with the .52 gal is range, and its special.
I think you'd be better off stacking Ink Saver or speed. One extra shot isn't a big deal and I don't think too many people stack full Def.

Shuggi

Senior Squid
NNID
Splatshuggi
I think you'd be better off stacking Ink Saver or speed. One extra shot isn't a big deal and I don't think too many people stack full Def.
But there have been at least two instances Using a .52 against someone with fully stacking defence up and dying because of that.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
But there have been at least two instances Using a .52 against someone with fully stacking defence up and dying because of that.
I'm sure this happens a lot, but it's not like you're going to run in to these people every match. Ymmv, but I think countering the Gal's biggest weakness (ink consumption) is more useful than adding power to an already hard-hitting weapon. At the end of the day though, you just have to find what works best for you and run with it.

Breademic

Senior Squid
NNID
Breademic
I'm sold on the .96 deco mainly due to its range and great defensive sub and special.
Yes, ink spread is not the best, but it is decent.
For those of you saying it uses a lot of ink... why are you just going trigger happy?? Learn to be accurate with the weapon to conserve ink. ^_^

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
For those of you saying it uses a lot of ink... why are you just going trigger happy?? Learn to be accurate with the weapon to conserve ink.
I'm going trigger happy because covering turf is the objective in two of four game modes and really helpful in the other two.

Breademic

Senior Squid
NNID
Breademic
I'm going trigger happy because covering turf is the objective in two of four game modes and really helpful in the other two.
By trigger happy I meant trying to splat the enemy in more than 10 shots.
Turf coverage is important. Also, are you running Ink Save Main?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom