• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

A newbie need some advices

Akeru

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3293-4326-5908
Hey inky friends! I presenting : I am totally new to splatoon 2 and never play splatoon 1 on wii U, I bought the game when it was released in july 27th. Fast, I get addicted and I even found good peoples to play with!
But now...I have some....problems...let's me explain: I think I have a terrible aim and I don't really know what gameplay I should adopt or even how I should positioning on maps.
This is why I want your help: if you could, please tell me how improve for aiming, positioning and what should I do with this weapon or another.
I play a lot rapidblaster (and the pro ver.) and the splat brella (and I really want to know how play the tenta ver. too!). For the gears I am using this :
hat : :ability_inksaversub: , x3 :ability_inksavermain:
clothes : :ability_specialcharge:, x3:ability_swimspeed:
shoes: :ability_inksavermain:, x3 :ability_specialcharge:.
I thank you for the futur responses and I hope I will enjoy be a part of this community ^^.

no0t

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4591-1797-9690
Definitely try out the Tenta Brella, if you're struggling with aim and use the Splat Brella. The Tenta has more power, wider range, and much better protection if you need to block ink or regroup yourself. Also, try out the OctoBrush, because you aren't necessarily required to have good aim, but it's still effective. Here are some tips for the ranked modes: for Rainmaker, don't take the Rainmaker right off the bat. Wait for your teammates to clear paths to take the Rainmaker to the opposite side. For Splat Zones, don't stay in the Zone. For you'll be an easy target. For Tower Control, do not have more than two people on the tower. It's most recommended to have one person, while the other three kill your enemies. A lot of times, especially for the OctoBrush, you can try hopping when shooting, or maybe move left and right quickly. This may throw off your enemy's aim, but it might mess up your aim as well. Also, always keep an eye on your ink tank, for I'd you run out of ink, it will take a while to fully reload, and if so happens when fighting an enemy, good luck surviving. I likenclothing that partially focuses on your Special, for that can really be a game changer. My favorite Specials are Ink Armor and the Baller. And one more tip: high ground always has the advantage. Try to find ground higher than your enemy's, for there's more of a chance you'll triumph over them. So yeah, those are some tips on Splatoon 2, I hope at least one of them can help.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Definitely try out the Tenta Brella,
Can't tell if trolling or just... not as well-informed. :D
Sorry, this is a terrible idea.

If you want to start improving on your gameplay, arguably the best newbie weapon is the Splattershot, as it's a well-known Jack-of-all-Trades. It does good turfing, good damage, and a panic button- I mean, special which aids in countering people. If you're not using motion controls yet, I'd suggest you start picking it up. It may seem difficult at first but it's the closest counterpart to the old-fashioned mouse on computers - in other words, that's as precise as you'll get in your controls. It enables you to aim more naturally and snap onto enemies much faster. So, if you haven't done so already, activate motion controls and mess with the sensitivity until it fits well.

For map awareness, you might want to do some recon. Press Y in each mode and move around a bit, see which shortcuts and routes you can take, et cetera. Get to know different weapon's range by testing them out in the Testing Range - available in your equip menu or at Sheldon's store for your convenience. Different weapons have different approaches to positioning of course - you may want to to be more aggressive with a Splattershot and you may want to have paths you can disengage to or have cover when approaching longer ranged weapons. High ground is generally good to have an eye out on enemies but also good for turfing, though longer ranged weapons profit the most from such ledges.

For game awareness... it requires map awareness, so I'd just keep playing the objective (in turf, turfing and getting the occasional splat - ranked modes have other objectives), your synapses get to learn the most common patterns over time. Speaking of, that's basically what's going to happen after quite some time anyway. You may be stressing out about your aim now but if you'll keep playing your motor skills will improve subconsciously. If you want to do some specific aim training, try to warm up on snap shots and tracking on the training dummies in the testing range.

Now, if you want to keep playing the Rapid and the RPro, you won't need Ink Saver as much, tbh. If you want to be less prone to dying, you can use 2 mains (or 1 main, 3 subs) of Bomb Defense and go for one main (or three subs) of Special Power up. It'll give your specials more kablamu. For positioning, go for high ground and learn a couple blaster-specific "tricks": Your explosive shots can shoot enemies behind cover, around corners, etc: abuse it. Also make sure you keep your distance. Both blasters suffer in close range fighting so make sure you stay within your optimal range and disengage when necessary. Place Ink Mines on common chokes (paths lots of enemies pass, most notably to your base to shark or flank) and be vary of overusing toxic mist on the RPro as it's very ink hungry. You may want to learn to count your shots so you don't get caught up with an empty tank when things get heated. :D

I have little idea on the optimal Brella gameplay, so I'd recommend hitting up Ansible.

Akeru

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3293-4326-5908
I forgot to mention that, yes, I am using motion control ^^'.
-2 for MS and 5 for R stick.
Abd thank for the responses.
For the amount of time I played, I really love rapid blaster, splat brella, charger and splatting, but I habe no clues on how I could improve my gameplay with splatting and charger, should I just go in training room and shoot on dummies for hours?

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
I forgot to mention that, yes, I am using motion control ^^'.
-2 for MS and 5 for R stick.
Abd thank for the responses.
For the amount of time I played, I really love rapid blaster, splat brella, charger and splatting, but I habe no clues on how I could improve my gameplay with splatting and charger, should I just go in training room and shoot on dummies for hours?
I felt exactly the same way a month or so ago, I loved the game to bits and played it all day erryday but I thought my aim sucked. After having played some more, I realised it wasn't exactly my aim, but my 1v.1 skills were terrible--I got super nervous as soon as I engaged in a fight with somebody else and virtually always got splatted as a result. Sadly, this meant that I started to avoid battles altogether, and just ran from fights. This changed completely however, and now I look forward to fights. So things can definitely change, don't lose faith. :3

Anyhoodles! My tips would be:
Yes, practice in the dummy room. Check out some YouTube videos where they give nice tips for different kinds of practice sessions. :) Other than that, try to stay calm even when you're in a 1v.1. Try to not shoot only, try to duck into the ink and move around a little, to confuse the enemy. It also makes you look like you know what you're doing. x*D (And this is great, 'cause it can make the enemy lose a bit of confidence themselves, playing a little confusedly/worse as a result!)
And about using chargers... Well, I'm not very experienced with chargers outside of Story Mode and Salmon Run so I can't really help you there. =S Chargers in general are very tough to use in turf wars. But I'd say the dummy room is excellent for charger practice.

Last edited:

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Gear-wise, there is no correct gear set (with few exceptions because some abilities are just not great). You build your gear around being able to do what you want to do. If you want to be able to shoot for days, use a lot of ink saver and ink recovery. If you want to be fast everywhere, ink resistance and swim and/or run speed is great. If you want to spam your special, use the special abilities and maybe special power up. It all depends on what you want to do, and don't let anyone else tell you that you're using the wrong gear for your gun. Maybe they're right, but they don't know.

So make sure you ask yourself what it is you want to do with each weapon and what doesn't feel quite right? It doesn't matter if it's maximizing things that are already strengths or covering up a weakness, figure out what you want to do and build your set around that.

If you let us know what your goal is with each weapon, we may have specific tips for what abilities will help you reach that goal. Just don't take any advice that's "this is the gear you need for this weapon" (or don't need) because that's 100% wrong. How someone else plays and what gear they use shouldn't dictate what you use. You dictate what abilities you use based on what you want to do with each weapon.

BlueInky

Inkling
Hey inky friends! I presenting : I am totally new to splatoon 2 and never play splatoon 1 on wii U, I bought the game when it was released in july 27th. Fast, I get addicted and I even found good peoples to play with!
But now...I have some....problems...let's me explain: I think I have a terrible aim and I don't really know what gameplay I should adopt or even how I should positioning on maps.
This is why I want your help: if you could, please tell me how improve for aiming, positioning and what should I do with this weapon or another.
I play a lot rapidblaster (and the pro ver.) and the splat brella (and I really want to know how play the tenta ver. too!). For the gears I am using this :
hat : :ability_inksaversub: , x3 :ability_inksavermain:
clothes : :ability_specialcharge:, x3:ability_swimspeed:
shoes: :ability_inksavermain:, x3 :ability_specialcharge:.
I thank you for the futur responses and I hope I will enjoy be a part of this community ^^.
To get a better sense of the maps, recon then by clicking g the mode with the map you want, press y, and select them. Try to find the best places for your weapon type ex. Roller raised up, Charger with good view and obstacles to hide behind or raised up

Akeru

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3293-4326-5908
Gear-wise, there is no correct gear set (with few exceptions because some abilities are just not great). You build your gear around being able to do what you want to do. If you want to be able to shoot for days, use a lot of ink saver and ink recovery. If you want to be fast everywhere, ink resistance and swim and/or run speed is great. If you want to spam your special, use the special abilities and maybe special power up. It all depends on what you want to do, and don't let anyone else tell you that you're using the wrong gear for your gun. Maybe they're right, but they don't know.

So make sure you ask yourself what it is you want to do with each weapon and what doesn't feel quite right? It doesn't matter if it's maximizing things that are already strengths or covering up a weakness, figure out what you want to do and build your set around that.

If you let us know what your goal is with each weapon, we may have specific tips for what abilities will help you reach that goal. Just don't take any advice that's "this is the gear you need for this weapon" (or don't need) because that's 100% wrong. How someone else plays and what gear they use shouldn't dictate what you use. You dictate what abilities you use based on what you want to do with each weapon.
Well, for rapid blaster and brella I want to protect/take the objective. With the rapid blaster, it's more shutdown enemies and with the splat brella is shield and protect my allies and paint ofc. Another which I struggle a lot is with the sub weapons: I don't know how use correctly these toxic mist, mine ( but now I have a better idea thank to Либра ) and the sprinkler.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Well, for rapid blaster and brella I want to protect/take the objective. With the rapid blaster, it's more shutdown enemies and with the splat brella is shield and protect my allies and paint ofc. Another which I struggle a lot is with the sub weapons: I don't know how use correctly these toxic mist, mine ( but now I have a better idea thank to Либра ) and the sprinkler.
That's a fairly broad goal with plenty of ways to achieve it. It sounds like, with the rapid and rapid pro, you're more defensive than aggressive. If your goal is to be able to keep on firing as a form of suppression/cover for your allies, ink main savers aren't bad at all. Ink sub saver is useful for toxic mist (which consume a bunch), but not as much for ink mines (as you can only place two at a time anyway and it's not something you're as likely to use in the heat of battle). Special up works well for anything -- especially in the kind of support role you're carving out with your rapids.

My question, when it comes to the rapids, is do you use swim speed very often in this defensive role? If you feel the need to swim faster, then by all means, go with what you feel. But you may want to consider two mains of ink resistance or a main and three subs so you can move out of enemy ink easier and stay alive. As it doesn't sound like you aggressively close on people, this might be a nice alternative to swim speed.

Ink recovery is also good for keeping your ink up, so it's not a bad idea to mix that in with your other ink savers (maybe instead of some of the ink saver main sub abilities due to diminishing returns?).

But like I said before... You definitely want to go by feel. Does something feel off? Is there something that, while you're playing, you get annoyed with? Use your abilities to rid yourself of the annoyances that stop you from doing what you want to do.

Akeru

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3293-4326-5908
Actually, I am annoyed by opponent's ink, I will going to try to build a gear with only ink resistance and why not with bomb resistance. And thank all for the quick reply :D.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
If you play Rapid, a single main/3 subs of Bomb Defense Up will come in useful. Rapids are kind of vulnerable when firing, meaning you have to watch out to getting directed by burst bombs and BDU will help you with that. You can also use just 2 subs instead, this prevents you from getting directed by a burst bomb and then oneshotted by the basic splattershot weapon.

I'd personally swap out one main/3 subs worth of :ability_specialcharge: with :ability_specialsaver:. Abilities have diminishing returns, but these abilities will both give you more specials throughout the game so you can mix them up and get the most out of them. You can also technically try :ability_tenacity: but that ability works better on long-ranged weapons who can play it safe.
Likewise, you can also swap a :ability_inksavermain: for a :ability_inkrecovery:, as both are kind of similar in function. You can also try :ability_comeback: which requires a bit of explanation but is still very helpful.

You generally won't spend a lot of time dropping ink mines, nor will you use Sprinklers for offensive purposes so I'd definitely would ditch the :ability_inksaversub:. You can swap it with more :ability_swimspeed: or :ability_inkresistance:, as both are very helpful in combat.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
This video helped me to improve my aim, after hundreds of hours of playing the game I still wasn't that good, because I didn't know how to consciously work towards improving it.
For starting sensitivity, I would do -3 motion and -1 stick. You don't want your aim to be wobbly when you can't even aim. You should be using the stick for sweeping movements and motion for adjustments. You can still instantly turn around at this sensitivity by using the stick and motion together.

As for things like weapon choice and gear, I really wouldn't worry about it yet. If you're struggling to hit stuff, it doesn't really matter what you're using. You'll develop a sense of what does and doesn't work over time as your experience and skill in the game grow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom